Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Jan 2007, 22:42 (Ref:1826054)   #1
ZXRobert
Rookie

ZXRobert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old qualifying system

sorry, I tried to find information on this via the Internet, but couldn't...so...

Didn't they have a rule a few years ago where you had to qualify with the same amount of fuel you were going to start the race with, or some such thing? Or am I crazy?

I see they don't have such a thing now...did it ever exist?
Old 25 Jan 2007, 22:57 (Ref:1826071)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Answers - yes, maybe and yes!
Old 26 Jan 2007, 13:10 (Ref:1826461)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They still have this now more or less, albeit a bit different now because the cars burn a lot more fuel due to the extra laps in the final session.

But yes, it was like this from 2003 onwards.

Last edited by Knowlesy; 26 Jan 2007 at 13:26.
Old 26 Jan 2007, 13:24 (Ref:1826477)   #4
ZXRobert
Rookie

ZXRobert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's still like this somewhat? I looked through the regs for last year, and didn't see anything about limited fuel allocations for qualifying(?) Perhaps I just missed it.
Old 26 Jan 2007, 13:24 (Ref:1826478)   #5
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
yea back in the days qualifying was real. but everyone tried to avoid going out on the "green" track so usually the first 20mins the only thing that had a timed lap was the broadcasting helicopter
Old 26 Jan 2007, 13:59 (Ref:1826518)   #6
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alonso11
yea back in the days qualifying was real. but everyone tried to avoid going out on the "green" track so usually the first 20mins the only thing that had a timed lap was the broadcasting helicopter
Well, the drivers didn't want to waste their laps, because the number of tyres and laps was limited. Without these limits, we might have the best possible qualifying format.
Old 26 Jan 2007, 18:42 (Ref:1826731)   #7
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Something I read someone (I think it was a team member) suggest was bringing back the single-car qualifying for the final session of 10 drivers. In one way it is good because it combines the on-track excitement of everyone who's still in going for it in the first two sessions, and then we get to see the top 10 drivers' laps and the tension for them that stems from the sole lap they would have to mark their final qualifying time.

Or would you consider that unfair on the top ten drivers who have only 1 lap to decide the final positions amongst themselves? Or are you against the 1 lap system due to it just not be exciting as multiple cars?

I think it could be a nice balance between the two formats potentially. It sure was nice in the past to see everyone do their lap, but I was definitely in favour of the move back to what is a more exciting format. As I say, however, I don't think this is a terrible idea.
Old 26 Jan 2007, 20:33 (Ref:1826791)   #8
Red Baron
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
Red Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alonso11

This was the best type of qualifying, in my opinion. I didn't mind the 20-30 minutes of empty track; the sheer excitement of the second half of the session was definitely worth the wait!!

Rosie
Old 26 Jan 2007, 23:11 (Ref:1826876)   #9
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron
This was the best type of qualifying, in my opinion. I didn't mind the 20-30 minutes of empty track; the sheer excitement of the second half of the session was definitely worth the wait!!

Rosie
The trouble with that format was that we never got to see some of the best laps.Sometimes the director just didn't have a clue where to look.
Old 26 Jan 2007, 23:15 (Ref:1826881)   #10
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nothing much has changed though, we missed Schumi's mega lap in Turkey still, even with the new format.
Old 26 Jan 2007, 23:23 (Ref:1826888)   #11
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus
Nothing much has changed though, we missed Schumi's mega lap in Turkey still, even with the new format.
Only half as many cars on track though.
Old 27 Jan 2007, 08:41 (Ref:1827008)   #12
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I actually think the current format is fine. It's a bit pointless watching the cars burn off fuel, but I don't want to see a return to one-lap qualifying of any sort. That's not how F1 should be.

And Schumi's mega-lap that counted for nothing?
Old 27 Jan 2007, 11:24 (Ref:1827080)   #13
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
The trouble with that format was that we never got to see some of the best laps.Sometimes the director just didn't have a clue where to look.
It would have been a better idea to replace the director in stead of the qualifying format.
Old 27 Jan 2007, 11:55 (Ref:1827092)   #14
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The country that holds the race is responsible for the footage, I thought. That's why in some countries it is biased towards a certain driver. That's what I have heard anyway. In qualifying it must be hard in any case, because there is always so much happening.
Old 27 Jan 2007, 12:07 (Ref:1827096)   #15
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by safc_fan89
The country that holds the race is responsible for the footage, I thought.
That's only the case for the traditional European races, like the UK, Italy, Germany and France. But the FOM is responsible for the footage during the weekends across the Atlantic, in Asia and Turkey.
Old 27 Jan 2007, 12:22 (Ref:1827101)   #16
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
the first 20mins was a snorefest, some TV stations refused to broadcast it (and therefor pay money for it --- THE ONLY REASON why it changed eventually) or only did highlights, and we did miss quite a few hot laps (no matter how capable the director was)

BUT

the guy starting from pole was really and trully THE fastest guy out there, and that seems kinda important to me thats also the reason why Senna will always remain the true king of qualifying, for Schumi it not just took half as many races to beat his record, but also involved like 20something of these fake fuel-effected poles

this knock-out thing looked cool to me from the start but why it still involves different fuel levels is beyond me.

besides the fuel-burning session isnt just boring as hell but extremly ignorant towards crucial enviromental issues
Old 27 Jan 2007, 13:33 (Ref:1827133)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Two knock-out periods followed by a one-lap shoot-out for the top 10 would be ideal for me, but I'd prefer they do all the laps on minimum fuel and choose the fuel load before the race. The fuel-burning makes it very difficult to justify motor racing in an era of environmental concerns and political instability in oil-producing countries, and the mid-season change in shortening the final session only really halved the problem.
Old 27 Jan 2007, 15:59 (Ref:1827208)   #18
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
1-22 drawn from a hat.
Old 27 Jan 2007, 19:33 (Ref:1827343)   #19
Racer_kyle
Racer

Northern Ireland
Edinburgh
Racer_kyle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest
It would have been a better idea to replace the director in stead of the qualifying format.
haha quite right!
Old 27 Jan 2007, 22:43 (Ref:1827467)   #20
safc_fan89
Veteran

Quote:
That's only the case for the traditional European races, like the UK, Italy, Germany and France. But the FOM is responsible for the footage during the weekends across the Atlantic, in Asia and Turkey.
I can't say I have noticed a distinct difference...I think the whole package could do with improving...
Old 28 Jan 2007, 01:43 (Ref:1827552)   #21
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like BootsOnTheSide's idea the best. Never really seen the point of the "fuel burning", even without the environmental issue. This seems about the best compromise.

However, I never really had a problem with the old system of 12 laps in an hour. It's just difficult to cover it all in a busy period.
Old 28 Jan 2007, 02:12 (Ref:1827558)   #22
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
No, Fuji TV directs the Japanese Grand Prix footage, and Rede Globo does the same for the Brazilian race. The TV ratings for Formula 1 in those two countries are huge, and even though they offer the most notoriously nationalistic coverage, those networks have too much bargaining power to lose their directorial rights. The Australian, Canadian, Malaysian, and US Grands Prix were all directed by domestic broadcasters until about 2004, I believe, whenever the most recent extension to the Concorde Agreement was signed. I don't believe Bahrain and China were ever not directed by FOM.

But anyways, I think the current system is fine. But it would be better with unlimited fuel loads.