Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 10 Dec 2005, 14:35 (Ref:1481186)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Michael Andretti to Drive in 2006 Indy 500?

In a "Just 1 Minute" news brief on the front of the Sports page in today's Indy Star, word has it that Michael Andretti is considering driving in the 2006 Indy 500....if things wouls come together to fund it....

He's not saying it will happen, but he has certainly left the door open for it..

But they want to fill the fourth driver slot on the team first....

and he was quoted as saying that Wheldon leaving "threw a monkey wrench into their plans" that may have opened the door for this possibility...

But it didn't say why...it was just a brief item...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 10 Dec 2005, 19:13 (Ref:1481319)   #2
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Xpunk75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will they have to enlarge the cockpit for him? Mikes a little on the heavy side these days. Also he's going to have to train like crazy to get into racing shape. I saw an interview with him saying loved not having to work out anymore and stuff.

Last edited by macdaddy; 11 Dec 2005 at 03:44.
Old 10 Dec 2005, 21:29 (Ref:1481364)   #3
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought he was happy when Wheldon won as he has won as an owner, well I guess he knows he has the best, well did when Honda was their supllier when there was Toyota and Chevy...
Old 10 Dec 2005, 22:32 (Ref:1481387)   #4
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think it's to late though as Mario was tempted in 2003...

But all the Andretti's are doing the Daytona 24 hours arent they in 2006 still?
Old 11 Dec 2005, 06:07 (Ref:1481492)   #5
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Is it really worth risking your life and good health though? And what are the chances of him even being competitive. Look at how long it took Jacques Villenuve to get back to racing form in F1. Micheal is just talking about one race, its going to be hard for him to get up to speed. Just don't think its worth the risk when he has a good family, a great race team which dominates its sport.

Good luck to him though, he was always one of my favorites. I was always upset he couldn't cut it in F1.
Old 11 Dec 2005, 13:23 (Ref:1481656)   #6
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I for one would love to see him do it and win it. He is the winningest open wheel driver of the last 20 years and the only thing missing is the Indy crown. He has always been fast there but blessed with the same fortunes as Mario was insofar as he has led an enormous number of laps with little to show for it.

If he is committed to do this, and do it right, he has to be an instant favorite to win it. Here's hoping it happens!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 11 Dec 2005, 16:16 (Ref:1481699)   #7
jock25
Racer

jock25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Call me cynical... but is this an attempt to encourage sponsors?

Wheldon leaving will undoubtedly knock AGR's income and coupled with the loss of Honda money (exactly how much that is I am not wishing to argue over!) could mean they are struggling to find the funding to run 4 cars. Perhaps dangling the carrot of "Andretti running for Andretti Racing" at Indy would entice someone to sign on the dotted line...

Despite the good progress made by the series in 2005, the Andretti name is still probably THE biggest pull, especially at Indy.
Old 11 Dec 2005, 17:16 (Ref:1481735)   #8
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
I never thought about that, maybe they are struggling to run that many cars. Good Point man. Plus I have to be almost positive Honda will not throwing at much money at them now since everyone is racing with Honda right?
Old 12 Dec 2005, 10:44 (Ref:1482201)   #9
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
That is a bit cynical.

With all the pressure Michael has had to endure over his career in regards to being the son of one of the all-time greats, a decision to get back in the cockpit would not be a simple publicity stunt.

We can't know exactly what motivates Michael in this regard, but for sure winning Indy as a driver is at the top of the list. The Andretti name alone will take care of the sponsor requirements whether he drives or not.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 12 Dec 2005, 14:19 (Ref:1482340)   #10
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
But all the Andretti's are doing the Daytona 24 hours arent they in 2006 still?
Mario prattles on about it occasionally - a Marco/Michael/Mario entry. But what I've heard is that this is unlikely to ever happen.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 12 Dec 2005, 14:47 (Ref:1482355)   #11
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Michael stated in no uncertain terms that it would not happen...he said it last June...

Old 13 Dec 2005, 01:00 (Ref:1482744)   #12
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Tim, do you mean the 24 Hour entry or The 500?
Old 13 Dec 2005, 01:22 (Ref:1482750)   #13
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Tim, do you mean the 24 Hour entry or The 500?

24 Hours of Daytona with Michael, Marco and Mario in a Dippy....won't happen....

Michael put his Dad in an Indy car they almost ended up in the 2nd Turn Vista at Indy a couple of years ago...wasn't Mario's fault, but Michael doesn't wan to go there again....it is his Dad...

Old 13 Dec 2005, 18:16 (Ref:1483321)   #14
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
Mario prattles on about it occasionally - a Marco/Michael/Mario entry. But what I've heard is that this is unlikely to ever happen.
I dont think Mario Andretti has ever prattled

Be great to see Michael back though, he's not too old - look at Eddie Cheever winning in 98, 20 years after he debuted in F1.
Old 13 Dec 2005, 18:19 (Ref:1483326)   #15
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael still has the desire to win Indy and he has the resources to make it happen. I think he feels that this might be his best chance to win it before his son Marco does !
Old 15 Dec 2005, 10:53 (Ref:1484621)   #16
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Agreed Team Owner!

AGR is a terrific team. Michael has always had the talent and skill to win The 500. I believe that "luck" is when preparation meets opportunity. Like many drivers, Michael has just not had all the pieces come together for the win I am sure he would most like to have.

I saw the look in his face after he won The 500 as an owner - he liked that a lot - but one could almost see the thought forming that "if it feels this good as an owner, what must it be like as a driver?"

I stand by my words: Michael is one of the greats. He is not too old. He has a great team. If he decides to come back, now would be the time to do so. I hope he does.
Old 15 Dec 2005, 12:16 (Ref:1484669)   #17
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sure I agree he is not to old, however he has been out of the cockpit for 2 years. I agree its a great team, he's a great driver, Indy's a funny place but I just cant see him winning it now.
Old 15 Dec 2005, 13:21 (Ref:1484712)   #18
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
To be honest though I don't think it will be that much of a problem. It's once race and he has the most of May to get up to speed. If Danica can be competitive there so can he.
Old 16 Dec 2005, 01:21 (Ref:1485094)   #19
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Indy has a long tradition of "Single race" competitors - drivers who drove at Indy only (Jim Crawford comes to mind and a number of others). True, things are more specialized now but I would not doubt that Michael has turned the odd lap or two just as Mario had been doing until recently. I recall Bobby Unser used to jump in to help shake down cars and did so for years after he retired.

I believe he can still do it. The only question is does he "want" to. If he does then I think he can.

I believe Michael
Old 20 Dec 2005, 12:02 (Ref:1487302)   #20
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
There will be a news conference at AGR HQ this morning that will make it official:

Michael Andretti will compete in the 2006 Indy 500

Marco will be confirmed as the fourth AGR driver for the full season

AGR also will announce a two-car effort for the 2006 Menards Infiniti Pro Series season.

Source: Front page of today's sports section in the Indy Star.

Old 20 Dec 2005, 16:51 (Ref:1487459)   #21
Team Owner
Racer

http://www.indycarseries.com/
Old 20 Dec 2005, 17:19 (Ref:1487468)   #22
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
A litte of topic but I really dislike their face lift of the official site...Much easier to read and follow on the original...
Old 20 Dec 2005, 17:57 (Ref:1487497)   #23
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Man when you look at them in the frontpage on idycarseries.com you realize how young marco is, he looks younger that my little brother and Michael looks older than my dad.
Old 20 Dec 2005, 19:02 (Ref:1487548)   #24
Team Owner
Racer

http://www.indycar.com/pro/news/story.php?story_id=5798

Camara and Klein to race in the Pro Series for AGR. AGR will have Sam Schmidt Motorsports operate the teams.
Old 21 Dec 2005, 10:25 (Ref:1487911)   #25
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Good to see Sam involved in the operation of the team.