Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 6 Jan 2007, 17:28 (Ref:1808300)   #26
col rooney
Racer

Ireland
col rooney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did you buy the A35 i may know where there is a full spaceframe imp that may be for sale am just waiting to hear back about it

col
Old 6 Jan 2007, 18:07 (Ref:1808318)   #27
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Motormouth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tell me more, tell me more..............
The A35 needs loadsa work but I'll probably take it anyway!!
Old 7 Jan 2007, 13:47 (Ref:1808822)   #28
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MONDELLO MAN
Noel , is still around , saw him in the DIY store recently , an old road going midget lurks in his garden. Met the Davrian man befoe Christmas , I think he has got the bug out of his system.
That Midget was in Noel's garden back in the 1980s ! Amazing. Good to know both of them are doing OK though.
Old 7 Jan 2007, 14:06 (Ref:1808842)   #29
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
I remember that, a blue one. I think he restored it and then left it outside. I wonder if it's still there???
Old 7 Jan 2007, 16:29 (Ref:1808894)   #30
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Leo, if you can get the Imp Col's talking about, then I'd leave the A-series stuff behind. The Imps are more reliable and faster... though I don't know how easy parts are to come by now. What happened to Richard Baird's Stilleto... or Nigel Burgess' blue Imp ?
Old 7 Jan 2007, 17:08 (Ref:1808908)   #31
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Baird's car went to the Uk I think and Larry Clarke bought Burgess' car, or at least the shell of it. Jonathan Fildes bought Ned Murray's old Imp from Larry about ten years ago and restored it. I entered the Leinster Trophy in the Historics class in it after that but it boiled over on the second lap of qual........a dream shattered!! The Imp went onto Ken Bolger and then Alan Kessie, who still has it as far as I know...........
Old 7 Jan 2007, 17:15 (Ref:1808910)   #32
davyboy
Veteran

Ah that must have been a dream shattered alright. Baird try to sell me his Stiletto in 1990 but he wouldn't allow me the engine, just the car. In any event, I decided to move to the UK that Fall, so that was the end of that. Pretty nice machine... have some pictures of it in its Exide livery somewhere. I'm not sure who built it, he claimed he did it himself.
Old 7 Jan 2007, 17:50 (Ref:1808924)   #33
MONDELLO MAN
Rookie

MONDELLO MAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
as I remember it Baird built it from a road car .
Old 7 Jan 2007, 18:04 (Ref:1808937)   #34
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Yip, it was black and a bit scruffy first, then he cut it up and built the red car more or less from scratch. I have pics of it with the bodywork off somewhere. He had some great races with Dan Rooney at the time. I remember Burgess could stay with them for a coupla laps and would then drop back to a lonely third. Most of the Midgets had gone into retirement by then, although Brian Ward made occasional appearances in his ex Morgan Dempsey Midget...... Other regulars were Mike Whelan in a Davrian, Noel McDonnell and Denis Corboy in Minis and Ian Averill in a converted Mini 850 racer.
Old 7 Jan 2007, 18:40 (Ref:1808958)   #35
davyboy
Veteran

Do you remember Pat Mannion [of Revolution Wheels fame I believe] coming to The Park in '83 with an Imp too.
Old 8 Jan 2007, 08:51 (Ref:1809360)   #36
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Yeah, and he came to the Leinster Trophy a year or two later and beat Keaney in the TMC in front of the TV cameras...........
Old 8 Jan 2007, 09:24 (Ref:1809375)   #37
col rooney
Racer

Ireland
col rooney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes richard baird built the stiletto himself around the time my dad built the car i now race .I remember mr mannion racing in mondello and when he beat john keaney mannion was in a maguire steletto with a 998 i still keep in touch with him .I think alan kessie is also selling the imp he has may be worth a call just in case this other car amounts to nothing .Also i seem to remember the chap who sold maurice cullen the davrian imp had a mk7 davrian for sale might be worth talking to maurice about

col
Old 8 Jan 2007, 09:34 (Ref:1809380)   #38
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Thanks Col. Davrians don't do it for me though, never did. Spoke to Alan but he has that Imp for sale on a few sites for top dollar!!!
I remember Mannion coming back to the Leinster Trophy a coupla years later and not getting near the 1600cc cars. David Hall started at the back in his (Blue) Imp and was up to 4th by the esses, eventually got by Dempsey and Crozier but Keaney was gone, as ever. Have it on video somewhere, must dig it out!!!
Old 8 Jan 2007, 11:13 (Ref:1809454)   #39
davyboy
Veteran

Speaking of David Hall, what happened his Suzuki S100 ? In fact what happened to David Hall ?
Old 8 Jan 2007, 12:38 (Ref:1809537)   #40
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
The Suzuki, I'm not sure about but David is still around, he can be spotted having a pint in The Naas Court Hotel from time to time......bit like myself!!!
This thread is in danger of being moved again if we keep getting teary eyed so Col, where's my new IMP, cos Davyboy is gonna kill me if I buy anything with an A series engine, even if I promise not to rev it over 5............
Old 8 Jan 2007, 17:15 (Ref:1809756)   #41
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Podd37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Leo, I'm disgusted that you left me all alone in Fiat wilderness!! Dont mind Daveyboy, he wants to buy an Atlantic or something equally as daft. Or maybe I'm the one going down the wrong road.....damn.....!!
Old 8 Jan 2007, 17:35 (Ref:1809771)   #42
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Left you all alone?? Last time I checked my garage, there was an 850 racer, 124 Special T rallycar, 127 GT racer a Barchetta and a couple Unos.......

Fear Not!! You'll never walk alone!!!!
Old 8 Jan 2007, 17:36 (Ref:1809772)   #43
davyboy
Veteran

I've had my eyes on a few Atlantics in the States... but I'm getting more and more sentimental about the look of my lower legs, so that may fade off into the land of 'what might have been'.

Turn the engine in that Fiat through 90 degrees, fit a prop-shaft and diff to it and make that car what it always cried out to be... driven from the back end.
Old 9 Jan 2007, 09:27 (Ref:1810241)   #44
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Driven through the back wheels?? It'll never catch on! Real men understeer.....
Old 10 Jan 2007, 22:02 (Ref:1811822)   #45
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Well I've bought the A35. 1480 with a Weber, aldon rear end with coilovers and discs, Toyota 5 speed box(!), cage, the lot. Monster front brakes too.
Mind you, it's in 1000 pieces
Old 11 Jan 2007, 01:40 (Ref:1811946)   #46
davyboy
Veteran

Leo, you're raving bonkers... but I can sympathize with your madness. Mail me some pics of it when you get a chance. Did the Irish guy build it himself or did come from over here ? I must admit, a Toyota box mated to an A-series is a new one on me.
Old 11 Jan 2007, 20:21 (Ref:1812642)   #47
MONDELLO MAN
Rookie

MONDELLO MAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
toyota g/boxes have ben used in midgets used in irish retro rallies for a number of years.
Old 11 Jan 2007, 22:55 (Ref:1812809)   #48
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Thats right on the Toyota. Very popular conversion on 1300 Midgets and B's. Also the Dad uses a Ford Type 9 (Sierra?) 'box on his Spitfire, another common change. So you could in theory run a BDA engined Spitfire with a sequential Dunlop Supercar type 'box! Suddenly Irish Historics looks like fun.......
Old 11 Jan 2007, 23:14 (Ref:1812831)   #49
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Got the standard box and rear axle assembly with the car anyway, just in case I want to go to Goodwood!!
The car was raced in Ireland for years, lotsa history, even raced at the Phoenix Park as recently as 1998...............
Now where's Col gone with details of that Imp????? He better hurry cos I'm going to see a Stock Hatch 205 on Saturday for RallyX........
Old 12 Jan 2007, 00:41 (Ref:1812867)   #50
davyboy
Veteran

Its obviously too long since I've been A-series-ing... mine had a ZF straight cut box IIRC, great fun on downshifts