Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 12 Jan 2007, 13:56 (Ref:1813227)   #51
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Motormouth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it never stayed going long enough for you to have to downshift????
Mind you, I shouldn't be laughing, I'm going to pick up my mecanno set A35 tonight

Last edited by Motormouth; 12 Jan 2007 at 14:01.
Old 12 Jan 2007, 15:31 (Ref:1813392)   #52
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormouth
I thought it never stayed going long enough for you to have to downshift????
Mind you, I shouldn't be laughing, I'm going to pick up my mecanno set A35 tonight
You're not far wrong Leo. In fact, on one occasion I sheared the driveshafts on the startline ! That was an entryfee well spent, wasn't it.

You have it all ahead of you
Old 12 Jan 2007, 15:42 (Ref:1813400)   #53
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Yeah, I know!! maybe I should go looking for the twin cam Toyota engine that was originally bolted to that 5 speed box and throw the lot in.........As for your driveshaft incident, an entry fee back then was probably only about 20 quid!!!!
Old 12 Jan 2007, 16:24 (Ref:1813435)   #54
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormouth
Yeah, I know!! maybe I should go looking for the twin cam Toyota engine that was originally bolted to that 5 speed box and throw the lot in.........As for your driveshaft incident, an entry fee back then was probably only about 20 quid!!!!
Think it was 100 quid ! Ya stuff the 16v Toyota 4A-G motor in there. Did you know that's a 'loose' copy of the BDA. Although Toyota afficianados will strongly deny that.
Old 12 Jan 2007, 18:03 (Ref:1813488)   #55
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Ah, I couldn't do that to this car, it has too much history. Besides, the engine is just built and has huge spec...... It looks like it will bolt back together easy enough, too, although I'm sure It'll be missing a few nuts and bolts.........
Here's a nice saloon for Davyboy, never mind your Atlantics:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-SD1-clas...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 12 Jan 2007, 21:42 (Ref:1813637)   #56
peespeed
Racer

Ireland
Carlow, Ireland
peespeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just wondering about the rules, would a Millington powerd bubble arched Mk1 be allowed run or a RWD Starlet with an 8V Golf engine and a Quaife box, I know the Starlet sounds like a weird combination but it worked well in Rallycross back in the early '90s, the car has been sitting up and the son of the guy that built it would like to bring it out and likes the sound of the new cut off in the Historics
Old 12 Jan 2007, 22:22 (Ref:1813675)   #57
MONDELLO MAN
Rookie

MONDELLO MAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really, sanity must reign, someone will appear with a now completed project , started in the 70s , finished off using 21st century technology .
Old 12 Jan 2007, 22:23 (Ref:1813676)   #58
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
As far as I can make out (and correct me if I am wrong anyone?) the regs state that the block has to be the same as the original. ie a Mini can use a 1275 or 1380 engine as long as it is still an A series. That would mean that the Starlet would have to run a Toyota engine similar to the one it originally ran. As for the bubble arched MK1, depends on the same, plus the fact that the wheels are only supposed to be 1" wider than standard unless it is running in the new class which is "Kitcars, modsports and modified saloon cars by recognised manufacturers providing they were manufactured before 31/12/1979" or "Historic Rallycars manufactured between 1/01/1975 and 31/12/1979"
Plus, I'm not sure how enamoured the class elders would be with a VW powered ex Rallycross Starlet joining their grids. Sounds more like a National Hotrod than an Historic car.............
Old 13 Jan 2007, 13:15 (Ref:1814196)   #59
Farbrooke
Racer

Farbrooke has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Would raise query over an A35 having a 1275cc block - regs state 'of the same original trademark as the cars original body' - which I thought was a 948cc block - 'A series' would be the 'family' - 'trademark' is an odd word to use but could mean 'what is technically associated with' - the mini body was 'technically associated' with a 1275.

Having said that the A40 at Pheonix Park last year was I believe 1380 - so the door has been opened - its like Goodwood - 'rung what u brung' - what's app K?
Old 13 Jan 2007, 14:12 (Ref:1814264)   #60
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Don't think Goodwood is exactly "Run What You Brung", although they are loose in some respects:
http://www.tophatracing.co.uk/obg.html
You could be right about the A35 actually. Best thing to do is, wait until I get it all together (if I ever manage it) and then put your money down!!! Just joking of course!!!
Maybe I'd be better off with that Modified Imp.........
Hello Col?? Anyone there??

Last edited by Motormouth; 13 Jan 2007 at 14:14.
Old 13 Jan 2007, 15:11 (Ref:1814300)   #61
Farbrooke
Racer

Farbrooke has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
An A35 is just what the Irish series needs - it lacks older classics - what you have there in my opion is a nice reliable package - the door is opened -go for it - lets hope the series never decends to 'wallet open' results

But if you have been reading the thread on Http papers in England then you will see a move is underway to tighten specifications bought about by nervous insurance companies so straying to far from the mark may be very short term gain.
Old 13 Jan 2007, 20:03 (Ref:1814464)   #62
col rooney
Racer

Ireland
col rooney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Leo i will give the man a ring tomorrow and chase him up as to if he has decided to sell the imp .There must be a few imps left in ireland someone must know where they are
Old 14 Jan 2007, 17:20 (Ref:1815012)   #63
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
I think I chased them all up, the Kessie one is around but that seems to be about it. Ray Fitzpatrick left his in his mother's garage when she sold the house!! I called into the house a few years ago but they had given it away since!!!!
Bought a Stock Hatch this morning so I better sell something quick.............
The collection is getting way too big.
Old 19 Jan 2007, 17:33 (Ref:1819561)   #64
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Podd37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For anyone interested....met Noel McDonnell today and he told me that stripped his Mini after he rolled it years ago. Its all there but its scattered around Dublin, a good amount of it in his back garden. Behind the blue midget. And he's going to restore it. And the Midget!!!!
He also said that he got bought all the body work off George Crozier's Maguire Metro, then gave it away to a guy but he cant remember who!
Old 19 Jan 2007, 17:44 (Ref:1819570)   #65
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Great story!!! I recall he also bought the chassis and bodywork of the Ex-Maurice Mitten Stilleto from Peter Faulkner but never built it!! The bodywork from Crozier's Metro must have been from the first boxy version, cos George only recently sold the Metro to some guy up North.
So I see there's an HRCA AGM coming up. Who's going??!!
Old 20 Jan 2007, 12:38 (Ref:1820227)   #66
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
It seems a tad bizarre to me but I know all I need to race in France this year, my number, entry fee's, almost down to the times of the races and I'm not even a member of the Trophy Saloon Car club. So how is it that as a paid up member of the HRCA I never know whats going on?? You'd nearly think somebody doesnt like Fiats....! Only joking of course.
When is the agm on? Of course I'll go....havn't had a good row in ages!!
Old 21 Jan 2007, 12:56 (Ref:1820899)   #67
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Haven't got the exact date with me, I'll post it later but they intend to vote on either going with the new (up to '79) regs as per the 2007 Green Book, or setting up another, non Motorsport Ireland approved championship and running with the old (pre '74) regs...............
Be interesting if they go with the latter option and then try and get some of their cars past the (MI) scrutineers afterwards............ The reg about wheels being only 1 inch wider than standard immediately comes to mind........... That's half the grid gone for starters!!
Old 22 Jan 2007, 13:35 (Ref:1821710)   #68
mcullen
Rookie

Ireland
Carlow, Ireland
mcullen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The HRCA AGM is on the 29th January in Dawson Street at 8pm. It should be an interesting meeting, I'll be there as this decision could effect whether I can race with the historics this year.
Old 30 Jan 2007, 12:06 (Ref:1829364)   #69
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Well??? Anyone go??
Old 30 Jan 2007, 13:21 (Ref:1829417)   #70
mcullen
Rookie

Ireland
Carlow, Ireland
It was an interesting meeting to say the least, there was a lot of hostility towards the rule changes imposed by Motorsport Ireland, the final vote went in favour of the HRCA disassociating themselves from the Motorsport Ireland championship and running their own championship based on the 2005 regulations.
Where it goes from here I don't know, as there are barely enough cars for 1 championship.
Maurice
Old 30 Jan 2007, 13:59 (Ref:1829444)   #71
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Hmmm......thought that might happen all right, a lot of the elder class members were threatening to stop racing if the new regs went through. Pity though, that leaves Steve Griffin, you Maurice, Tommy Doc and a few other modsports jobs that were hovering around with no place to race??? I must say it's a bit odd to leave it at pre '74 even though they haven't changed it in 8 years! I remember going to Mondello with my Dad in the 80's and the historic class was almost all MGBs and Midgets, about 20 years old at the time...... That would be the equivalent of racing a 1987 car today.....like a Sierra Cosworth or a BMW M3.
And Motorsport Ireland only wanted to move it up 5 years to 1979
Old 30 Jan 2007, 15:30 (Ref:1829499)   #72
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
I was there too. Usual snide remarks about Ritmos and Golfs on e-bay for a grand. Find them for me please....! Basically anti anything that didn't have wire wheels. Mutterings from the top table about how their cars were investments left me with the impression that the HRCA want to play all rich and mighty, a little club that us poorer folk shouldnt be allowed enter.The Fia and most of europe has gone pre '81 and I think they need to cop on. And I think that, despite the fact that my car fits HRCA rules. Rules which they now can't have an MI srut for unless on safety grounds I think. But seeing as most of the cars are bent anyway....
Not sure where they are going next, seperation from MI, talking about 2 rounds in Mond. (if they get 20 cars), a couple in Kirko, the 'Park and The UK. Given that the average grid this year was less than 15......You see what I'm getting at.
Old 30 Jan 2007, 15:59 (Ref:1829511)   #73
col rooney
Racer

Ireland
col rooney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So where does this leave say someone like me who has a mod saloon or special saloon that would like to do a few races in mondello on slicks

thanks col
Old 30 Jan 2007, 16:22 (Ref:1829525)   #74
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
No idea. Libres maybe? Maybe Motorsport Ireland will react to this but even if they run the races pre '79 as per green book, I suppose the class elders won't turn up??
Saloon Libres in Kirkistown isn't a bad idea, they are going to try to push it more for 2007 I think................

Maybe we should all be racing pre-war Bentleys???
Old 30 Jan 2007, 17:02 (Ref:1829554)   #75
mcullen
Rookie

Ireland
Carlow, Ireland
All the modsports still have a place to race, the Motorsport Ireland championship will run under the new regs as per the green book, which allows cars up to 31.12.79 and modsports. It will have its own registrar and Co-ordinator, the only real difference as a result of last nights vote is that the HRCA will not be running this championship.
However the MI rules still insist on road legal tyres.
So I'll be racing this year.
Maurice