Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 8 Jun 2007, 12:25 (Ref:1932230)   #126
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Hi Jonathan,

Best suggestion is to contact info@mrmci.com - I'm no longer marshalling cars in ROI due to the extremely poor safety standards currently in place.

Regards,

Terri
Old 8 Jun 2007, 22:00 (Ref:1932726)   #127
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Motormouth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oooh, you don't check tenths for a coupla days and look what you miss!!
To be honest I can see everyone's point here, but just to clarify things, it's Leo here (as if most people didn't know my nickname!) and I have commentated on HRCA races for many years now. For the record I have also raced with them AND attended meetings within the last year. Maybe I have pushed the pre '79 thing too hard simply because these were the cars that were racing when my Dad first took me to Mondello in the late 70's, I'm not sure. What I never agreed with, and was quite vocal about at the relevant drivers' meeting, was that the class couldn't stick at pre '74 forever. Classic car insurance and even road tax, moves forward a year each year, as it should and I thought this should apply to the HRCA too. In the early '80s at Mondello, the Historic class was almost entirely made up of MG Midgets and B's, about 20 years old. as I have previously said, that would equate to a Sierra Cosworth or E30 M3 now racing in that class. I was delighted when the committee reached agreement with MI to move the date to pre '79 but it soon became apparent, and this is speculation, so please do correct me if I am wrong, that the pre '74 drivers didn't enter or turn up for the pre '79 races, leaving us with 5 or 6 car grids. With the next round being pre '74, it seems to be all hands on deck and the grid will be full again. Does that make sense to anyone on here, because if it does, please enlighten me??
As for the slicks issue, you have made fair points above guys and I accept them, just that I interpreted the rules as being for modsports cars, which always ran slicks but it does say road legal tyres for all classes in the regs too. And perhaps you are right, people have used it as an excuse not to come out. If anything seemed personal, I too apologise as it was not aimed at any specific person on my part.

By the way, I've just bought 1978 Rawlson Spaceframe Imp......
Right, I'll get my coat.............
Old 9 Jun 2007, 19:42 (Ref:1933414)   #128
col rooney
Racer

Ireland
col rooney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Jonathan
I have to say im not on the committe or a member of the HRCA as i live in england all i want to do is bring my car back from england once or twice a year and race it but i run on slicks. So for me to run treads it means buying another set of wheels a tyres i have been offered a loan of a set of tyres from Maurice but it seems crazy that a class can not be made for these cars i even asked if i can run at the back of the grid but was told that the car is to modified so now you know where im coming from i dont want to get up anybody,s nose i just want to race

Plus see if i can get the car around mondello quicker than the old man did

i think i may be dreaming about that
col
Old 9 Jun 2007, 21:49 (Ref:1933510)   #129
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
eamonn ledwidge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Col

I am a member of HRCA committee & have no knowledge of your request to either run your car on slicks or in its current state of modification. No comment on its ability to run would be made without having had sight of the vehicle. There are no plans within HRCA to create a class for slicks, nor am I aware of any plans for such a change in the MI class. I would like to see full grids consisting of Historics & Post Historics all competing on tyres of similar type - the last thing we need at this time is another class for 3 or 4 cars on slicks.
Old 11 Jun 2007, 10:32 (Ref:1933783)   #130
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Podd37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What happened to yesterdays posts??
Old 11 Jun 2007, 10:53 (Ref:1933817)   #131
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Appears a lot of stuff got lost yeaterday! For the record, in response to Eamonn's last post, surely here is an opportunity to start again and try to diffuse what has become a very devisive situation.. Col has a car with significant Irish racing history, that fairly well runs as it did when Dan drove it. It fits the age profile, looks good and goes well. But it runs on slicks. So why not create an invitational class on the day, let him start from the back if necessary and hey presto one more car on the grid. If he appeared with a Porsche 917 would HRCA tel him to run on road tyres? I maintain, get the cars on the grid, then after a year or 18 months re-organise the classes if necessary. Try it guys. Perhaps you are right and no-one will show or perhaps you wil find yourselves with a club capable of running 2 races per weekend.
Old 11 Jun 2007, 15:37 (Ref:1934117)   #132
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Just want to clarify something here. It was suggested to me at the weekend that "Modsport Joe" on this thread was actually me operating with another username. It most certainly is not. Anybody who knows me will agree that if I have something to say, either at a meeting or on a forum such as this, I will say it. I have no idea who Modsport Joe is, although he says here he used to race Modsports in the Uk, maybe he will tell us?
I am not sure if the site moderators can clarify whether or not it is a different user?
Hope that clears things up a little.
Leo
Old 11 Jun 2007, 22:25 (Ref:1934463)   #133
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
hrca dates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podd37
What happened to yesterdays posts??
I put up what I believe to be a well reasoned comment on the tyres & eligibility issue last night. By mid morning today it had disappeared. I think the forum may have been hacked as my email address seems to have been compromised. No further posting from me folks on this subject.
Old 12 Jun 2007, 00:45 (Ref:1934527)   #134
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
I'm with Eamonn and Paul on this one.
Moderators please???
Old 12 Jun 2007, 07:44 (Ref:1934719)   #135
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Guys, there is nothing suspicious about this. 10-Tenths suffered a corrupted database crash on Sunday, and whilst all data pre Sunday was safely recovered, all posts over a certain part of Sunday and Sunday night were lost. It applied to all our forums, and yesterday there was announcement at the top of each forum explaining this and apologising for the inconvenience.
Old 12 Jun 2007, 12:59 (Ref:1935031)   #136
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Thanks for that John. The joy of modern technology!!
Anyone know whether its true that the Mondello round on the 24th is only for pre 74 cars? Wont be around myself to see but its what i'm hearing. If thats true surely the class is making up its own rules by not including pre 79. I could be hearing wrongly of course.....
Old 12 Jun 2007, 14:57 (Ref:1935127)   #137
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
hrca dates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podd37
Thanks for that John. The joy of modern technology!!
Anyone know whether its true that the Mondello round on the 24th is only for pre 74 cars? Wont be around myself to see but its what i'm hearing. If thats true surely the class is making up its own rules by not including pre 79. I could be hearing wrongly of course.....
Wrong, you are incorrectly informed.

Yet more disinformation on this subject. There are races for both classes booked on the programme. This can be checked with Mondello.
Old 12 Jun 2007, 20:10 (Ref:1935403)   #138
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
This is all off topic, but to address some queries that have appeared on this thread:

I can confirm that the site was down due to server failure on Sunday as per announcement and John's post and once again, we do apologise for any posts lost. It was our first significant outage in nearly 2 years, but every system suffers outages occasionally and since we can't do "realtime" backups, occasionally data may get lost.

Eamonn, there was no hacking involved so I fail to see how a server failure on Tenths could have had any impact whatever on your email. If you have any concerns or any reason to think otherwise, please PM me and I will take a look at the problem for you. In the 9 years that Tenths has been online, there has never been a security breach of this nature, but obviously we take any concerns raised seriously.

With regard to identities, Tenths does not allow multiple registrations from the same email address. However, this does not mean that we can verify a person's identity categorically either, nor are we prepared to do so.

On a personal note, my experience of Leo has always been that he is happy to put his name to whatever he has to say so I've no reason to think that he would suddenly start doing otherwise.
</off topic>

I trust this addresses all queries and now on with the discussion!
Old 13 Jun 2007, 09:31 (Ref:1935759)   #139
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by eamonn ledwidge
Wrong, you are incorrectly informed.
Yet more disinformation on this subject. There are races for both classes booked on the programme. This can be checked with Mondello.
Eamonn, I have in front of me, given by a member of the HRCA last night, a HRCA newsletter, dated June 11th, signed 'the Editor,which I will quote directly.

'Dear member, Enclosed is the Entry Form for the race meeting in Mondello on 24th June. This race is for pre74 cars only as per Motorsport Ireland Regulations for 2006. This is the first race for the George Mangan Trophy and we would like to have a full grid. We need your support.
Also enclosed is the Entry Form for the Kirkistown race on 30th June. Again this is for Pre 74 cars and is a round of the George Mangan Championship.
Also enclosed is the Deposit Booking form for the Phoenix Park Motor Races. This race is also for Pre 74 cars only. Deposits should be sent to ....(my edit of a name and address).
Deposits should reach ....(name edited)... before 30th June to guarantee a grid slot. Hope to see you in Mondello and Kirkistown.
The Editor'

Enclosed with the letter were the entry foms and booking deposit form. However my attention was drawn to the fact that on the Mondello Entry Form has been hand written, in the race entered section, the words 'pre 74 Historics'. Then the form(s) was (were) photocopied.

I checked both with Mondello and on the Motorsport Ireland Calander (Feb Bulletin) and there is only one Historic race, this being for the 2007 MI Championship, on the 24th. This does not exclude pre 79 cars. No-one is aware of any other race or change in race status.Both the Kirkistown event and 'the Park' are non MI championship events so HRCA can do what they like. But to pre fill forms, to basicaly exclude anyone with a legal , rule perfect pre 79 car is just plain wrong. I'm not privy to the figures but I am sure you have at least 1 member with a pre 79 that has basicaly been told they cant run. And why would anyone bother coming out if they are going to get so badly treated. It is things like this that are destroying HRCA and should not be allowed to continue.
Comments please.
Old 13 Jun 2007, 10:21 (Ref:1935795)   #140
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
Paul, I dont wish to appear impolite, but since you are not a member of HRCA & are not racing with us, this is beginning to look like your personal vendetta against us. I would prefer to see you out racing.

A clerical error caused the issue of the single form for the pre 74 Historics class. This was spotted on the evening of the mailing & a revision was mailed out yesterday.

regards
EPL
Old 16 Jun 2007, 13:34 (Ref:1938382)   #141
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Was away for a coupla days, came back to both letters. Bit odd but anyway!!!!
Eamonn, you will be glad to hear that the Fiat 127 will be out next weekend, as promised. I am commentating so Punto Abarth racer Richard Kearney is making his historic debut!!
He collected the car this morning and is on his way home to give it an oil change and checkover!! Hopefully both classes get plenty of entries and I'll have plenty of good racing to shout about!!!!