Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 20 Jun 2007, 16:16 (Ref:1942647)   #26
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Are you serious John? You could always PM me,I,m quite partial to vodka,would that help solve any other problem?
Why would that help?? I would have thought that would make you less careful!
Old 20 Jun 2007, 16:55 (Ref:1942686)   #27
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Simon .It's the Jim D attachment
It's Luke Stevens with the broken rib.All I said was that he was never as quick as Lewis when they were 10/11 years old and raced Karts together.He had to prove us all wrong and look whats happened.
We are making a decision on wheather we take the Alta and Jims mate Patch has put himself at the front of the list.Should the Alta not go we will take a third Talbot.I will arrive tommorow night and Terry I will see you there
Old 20 Jun 2007, 18:18 (Ref:1942765)   #28
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And someone please take a camera and put some pics up here when you return!
Old 20 Jun 2007, 18:23 (Ref:1942770)   #29
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
Why would that help?? I would have thought that would make you less careful!

After the race,why be carefull?
Old 20 Jun 2007, 19:06 (Ref:1942799)   #30
LC driver
Rookie

Netherlands
The Netherlands
LC driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by esper
would love to go but my 2 ff1600 are alive.......and 2 GT's dead waiting for transplant better next year!!!!
So you bought the other one also Esper? Great
Old 20 Jun 2007, 21:08 (Ref:1942892)   #31
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC driver
So you bought the other one also Esper? Great
well its in Lisse right now (RKC), but the GT's are of major concern now........ Just to get one ready for first of july is a major task and GPAdO is very high on the list but can't be done, sadly enough.
(Lets change one of the FF for a pre 72 so i can gop with the french FFs
Old 24 Jun 2007, 10:09 (Ref:1945398)   #32
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
does anyone know if we can view the qualifying and results? I have tried MST website but it doesnt seem to cover it...
Old 24 Jun 2007, 15:08 (Ref:1945545)   #33
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
good question Simon, I can't find anything and I seem to recall having a similar problem when we raced there in 05 . . .

don't type in mst dot fr in the hope of finding a french timing site . . .i just did and got a suprise !!!!!!

Last edited by zefarelly; 24 Jun 2007 at 15:12.
Old 24 Jun 2007, 20:16 (Ref:1945705)   #34
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been told that Laurence Bailey had a major shunt in his TVR at Dijon. Brake failure at the end of the very fast pit straight sent him over the barriers. He was taken to hospital, but is apparently ok. I'm told that the car is a write-off, however.
Old 24 Jun 2007, 21:26 (Ref:1945751)   #35
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
don't type in mst dot fr in the hope of finding a french timing site . . .i just did and got a suprise !!!!!!
You do know how many ten-tenthers have typed that into their search engine, eh?
Old 25 Jun 2007, 07:35 (Ref:1946047)   #36
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Alan, do you or anyone else have any more news on Laurence? The Bailey's are very good friends of ours (I spoke to dad Tony and Laurence just before they left) and I am frantic with worry having seen your note. I'll try to contact them directly but I'm aware they will have more important things to worry about so I woud be grateful for any update for fellow 10/10thers.

Thank you. I hope everyone else had a good and enjoyable time at Dijon.
LAK
Old 25 Jun 2007, 07:47 (Ref:1946053)   #37
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
That sounds nasty, best wishes to all concerned, asides Goodwood I think that straights the fastest place I've raced
Old 25 Jun 2007, 08:03 (Ref:1946058)   #38
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAK
Alan, do you or anyone else have any more news on Laurence? The Bailey's are very good friends of ours (I spoke to dad Tony and Laurence just before they left) and I am frantic with worry having seen your note. I'll try to contact them directly but I'm aware they will have more important things to worry about so I woud be grateful for any update for fellow 10/10thers.

Thank you. I hope everyone else had a good and enjoyable time at Dijon.
LAK
I don't have any news I'm afraid but did see the car and it was a mess. I also saw him being airlifted out at just after 8pm on Saturday evening. The accident caused quite a delay at the end of the day and there were some very angry Frenchmen yelling and gesturing madly at the organisers that their Formula Ford race (last on the card on Saturday) had been red flagged after 3 laps as the circuit only has a permit to run until 8pm.

Word at the bbq and rock concert was that Laurence was ok but was taken to hospital for observation. Looking at the car it was a very big shunt!

Roger
Old 25 Jun 2007, 08:11 (Ref:1946065)   #39
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks Roger for the update.

I have just spoken with the Bailey camp albeit briefly. Laurence is still in hospital but it appears just for observation and further tests. I have no details about the accident other than the car is very bad. But at the end of the day it's good news that early signs are that Laurence is okay.

I will pass on the good wishes of the 10/10thers and wish him a speedy recovery.
Old 25 Jun 2007, 08:12 (Ref:1946068)   #40
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Angry Frenchmen is standard practice isn't it ?

How did the U2TC race go Roger ? what did you think of the circuit ? ( Need I ask!)
Old 25 Jun 2007, 08:27 (Ref:1946082)   #41
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAK
I will pass on the good wishes of the 10/10thers and wish him a speedy recovery.
Louise, please do that, and keep us posted.
Old 25 Jun 2007, 08:53 (Ref:1946103)   #42
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
Angry Frenchmen is standard practice isn't it ?

How did the U2TC race go Roger ? what did you think of the circuit ? ( Need I ask!)
We were in garage 1 which was right next to race control and it was very amusing to watch some of the performances given to race officials after drive through penalties etc had been enforced. Great entertainment.

The track is fantastic - I loved it. Also the atmosphere was brilliant although the weather was more south of England (for much of Thurs/Fri/Sat) than south of France!

The Cortina just keeps getting better but I need more power! In qualifying I was running about 4th fastest with the track drying out and the times coming down when the oil light came on at the end of the straight. The boys have installed a headlight sized oil light above the rev counter which almost blinded me when it came on and I immediately shut it down (when asked by the boys how long it took to switch it off I replied "milliseconds!"). I got towed in and I've never seen this before but the rubber O-ring on the filter had been blown out of its little groove and that was the problem. I nearly managed to get out at the end of the session with a new filter fitted but was a bit late. I managed 8th in qualifying on a greasy but drying track so thought 4th or 5th would have been realistic. A couple of cars were simply flying - DK Anton in a GTA, Gustavssons in a LC, Baillys in a LC and Shaw/Kelly in a BMW were 2-4 seconds quicker than anyone.

I managed a good start in the race and got up to 5th on the first lap and managed to hold that for about 15 mins before the safety car came out - an Alfa had dumped all its oil at the downhill left hander I think called Bretelle. All the front cars except for the Gustavsson LC dived into the pits bang on 20 mins for the driver change. I had a quick one (despite having to run around the car and stand still for 8 seconds!!!) and was running as high as 3rd. I had a great dice with another red LC driven by Dany Snobeck and we traded places a couple of times. I nearly got him on the penultimate lap when he had a moment on some oil and I spotted a chance down the inside. We were bumper to bumper for most of the last lap but he managed to keep me out. End result was 5th overall but 4th in class - there is some serious competition in the C (1600cc) class.

1st DK Anton - GTA
2nd Bailly/Bailly - Cortina
3rd Shaw/Kelly - BMW 1800
4th Cayeux/Snobeck - Cortina
5th Wills - Cortina
6th Ebden/Watson - Mini
7th Bryant/Bryant - BMW
8th Cox/Tice - Mini
9th Paul/Wells - Cortina
10th Tate/Lawson - GTA

It was a great race!

I met Esper's friend Bart who is another 10-10ther before qualifying on Saturday and we had a good chat.

More on the GT & Sports Car Cup (in the Corvette) when I have a moment.

Roger
Old 25 Jun 2007, 08:59 (Ref:1946109)   #43
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
One of the photographers left a note on my car with this address http://www.gbphotosports.com/ It said photos will be posted there within 2 days. Nothing yet.
Old 25 Jun 2007, 09:12 (Ref:1946114)   #44
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Top report Roger, thanks, and I agree, with FiA championship winning car/driver combos out there and some professional drivers the bar is raised pretty high.

keeps us on our toes though!
Old 25 Jun 2007, 09:17 (Ref:1946117)   #45
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, we had a great time in FISC. Wet practice, one dry(ish) race followed by one monsoon race and finally a dry race at end of Saturday.

We were kept in Parc Ferme (that's what I told the family) in the "Bar des Pilotes" (a hostility suite above garage 1) after our last race for copious amounts of FREE beer (take note Messrs Palmer & Strawford) supplied by the organisers. When I got back to the paddock Alex pointed out a plume of black smoke over Turn 1, which must have been the TVR. Ouch.

The poor weather meant that us in the "small" FISC class qualified and raced higher up. In the last race I was pushed over a kerb at Parabolique, wiped off the exhaust and promptly went 3 secs a lap quicker! Guess what I need to do before next round?

Good weekend for us, sympathies for Laurence & team.

PS Roger - yes seen that happen with an oil filter. Chap had it happen on his MG in front of me at Zandvoort, spun on his own oil, bounced out of the barrier and hit me as I rotated down the road. You were lucky.
Old 25 Jun 2007, 11:11 (Ref:1946212)   #46
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
Midgetman, what happened in the first race on Saturday? We watched you guys come around Bretelle and then on the next lap about 8 cars didn't appear, safety car was out and one of the red Midgets had a huge Midget bonnet shaped hole in the rear end. I suspected it was a pile up at the start of the fast right hander leading onto the straight - it was extraordinarily slick through there in qualifying in the Cortina!
Old 25 Jun 2007, 12:34 (Ref:1946273)   #47
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Spot on Roger!

I came round the first part of the corner, saw one in the barrier, two in the gravel and one broadside across the track - it was the last one that caught my attention as he was on the racing line...

Fairy story ending though, exemplifies the true spirit of MG racing (unlike the MGCC Silverstone thread that's running). Everyone got out for races 2 & 3 and the yellow car that put the hole in the red one raced from the back of the grid for his first ever outright win in race 2. He thought he was finished for the weekend, but everyone rallied round and never was there a more deserving winner. Emptied the stores of tank tape though.........
Old 25 Jun 2007, 13:55 (Ref:1946330)   #48
FISCracer
Racer

Wales
Surrey
FISCracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills
I don't have any news I'm afraid but did see the car and it was a mess. I also saw him being airlifted out at just after 8pm on Saturday evening. The accident caused quite a delay at the end of the day and there were some very angry Frenchmen yelling and gesturing madly at the organisers that their Formula Ford race (last on the card on Saturday) had been red flagged after 3 laps as the circuit only has a permit to run until 8pm.

Word at the bbq and rock concert was that Laurence was ok but was taken to hospital for observation. Looking at the car it was a very big shunt!

Roger
It was a very big off at Villeroy and the car caught fire with flames 20' high - so much so that we weren't sure at first which car it was. The race was dry and Laurence seemed to be going pretty well at the time. It was a very nicely prepared car and I took a number of photos of it in the paddock less than an hour earlier..........

I wish him all the very best for a speedy recovery

Richard
Old 25 Jun 2007, 14:01 (Ref:1946333)   #49
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
The Corvette was in the 90 min GT & Sports Car Cup but had been running very very hot on Thursday in testing and Friday in qualifying so I was taking it very easy. With 396cu in of muscle to cool and a radiator looking more suited to a Ford Fiesta than a Chevy 6.5 litre big block it was always going to be risky until the new radiator arrives!

I qualified in 33rd place (of about 60 cars) but found I could not push it at all without it running up to around 120 degrees. I would come into the pits, the boys would chuck a bucket of water through the grille and I would go out again for 2-3 more laps before it got too hot again.

With the new shocks and the kit that has been installed since it arrived from the US it drives really well and will be superb when we can get it all kitted out including the new "race" engine (it has the original numbers matching road engine in it now). There is still a load of weight to come out of the car and that will make a huge difference.

A very similar car ran 4th for most of the race behind 3 Cobras before losing his clutch so there is real potential there!

For the race on Sunday the boys installed a second small radiator from a Landrover Freelander to try to get the temperature down and I found if I drove carefully at about 1.50-2.00 minute lap times it stayed constant at around 120 degrees. Very hot but still running ok.

I ended up lapping the whole race like this, waiving most cars past (except for a couple of the MGBs etc who I could out-drag down the straight) and managed to finish in 40th place. It was pleasing to finish and the car has great potential.

There was some great racing going on with the faster cars - Cobras, Sting Ray, E-types and sports racers having some very close battles.

Roger
Old 26 Jun 2007, 06:59 (Ref:1946964)   #50
LC driver
Rookie

Netherlands
The Netherlands
LC driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Roger, it was very nice speaking to you at Dijon. Send me through pm your adress and I will send you some great pics of your car during U2TC race.