Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 13 Jul 2006, 21:03 (Ref:1655675)   #1
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Europe's interest in NASCAR will surely rise

Surely it will when Montoya makes his debut in NASCAR. Now most fans in Europe don't watch NASCAR but just by looking at all the avatars recently everyone seems to have one now NASCAR / Montoya related.
I for sure will watch NASCAR more oftern just because of Montoya.
I take it a lot more people will?
Old 13 Jul 2006, 23:21 (Ref:1655750)   #2
NoStaplesPlease
Rookie

NoStaplesPlease should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sold that European fans will be converted to NASCAR just because of this, but they will likely check on Montoya to see how smooth of a transition he has. I very well may be wrong though.
Old 13 Jul 2006, 23:55 (Ref:1655770)   #3
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my 2 cents. There will be many European and F1 fans that will tune in Nascar to see how well he does and will find that they enjoy the racing. I believe that nascar will gain many fans. The racing is good, fun, and exciting. And, no matter what some may think, most of the drivers are pretty darn good.
Old 14 Jul 2006, 00:36 (Ref:1655783)   #4
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
JPM has fans around the world. This will not only help NASCAR in Europe but in Latin America as well other parts of the world. JPM will bring many of his fans to NASCAR. That should translate to millions of new NASCAR fans assuming JPM has a lengthy and successful NASCAR career and I am sure a driver of his caliber will have a great career in NASCAR.
Old 14 Jul 2006, 04:20 (Ref:1655833)   #5
Emfa
Veteran

Australia
Colorado Springs
Emfa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the increased level of traffic in this part of 10/10's is any indication, I see there being a lot of extra interest from overseas (not just Europe). Can only be a good thing!
Old 14 Jul 2006, 06:24 (Ref:1655864)   #6
Erki
Racer

Estonia
Tartu, Estonia
Erki has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't think JPM is going to make me catch NASCAR races on TV more often...
Old 14 Jul 2006, 10:50 (Ref:1656058)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It will have a worldwide impact. Although I feel not every fan will tune in of course, the numbers should rise. It is good for NASCAR.
Old 14 Jul 2006, 11:20 (Ref:1656077)   #8
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erki
I don't think JPM is going to make me catch NASCAR races on TV more often...
me either. Montoyo's coming to nascar will not make me watch it more frequently.
Old 14 Jul 2006, 11:25 (Ref:1656081)   #9
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We have started to see the effects already. I mean, just look at Ten-Tenths alone and how much the activity here in the NASCAR section has increased this past week. And this forum isn't the only one - I've seen several forums where Formula 1 fans have declared that they will start to follow NASCAR as a result of Montoya.

Of course, if Montoya bombs, it will go down in history as "just another failure" by an "outsider", soon to be forgotten. I for one, however, believes Montoya has what it takes to have a good NASCAR career. A future NEXTEL Cup Champion? Impossible to tell. A future NEXTEL Cup race winner? Hell yes.
Old 14 Jul 2006, 11:42 (Ref:1656090)   #10
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So this could be a similar thing to what happened with mansell when he moved to CART in 1993? I doubt it'll be that big of course lol but interest wise NASCAR can't exactly lose...
Old 14 Jul 2006, 12:42 (Ref:1656122)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
NASCAR is starting from a very strong worldwide base anyways, whereas CART was fairly low on coverage in 1993, though it was still moderately popular outside America.
Old 14 Jul 2006, 13:36 (Ref:1656174)   #12
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd say the Mansell-to-CART comparison is a pretty good one, and that one sure made a lot of buzz as well back there around 1993.

Formula 1 to CART isn't as spectacular or unexpected as Formula 1 to NASCAR though..
Old 14 Jul 2006, 13:44 (Ref:1656185)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I meant 1992 in my post there. The coverage boomed in 1993.

Jeez, one day I'll get it right.
Old 14 Jul 2006, 15:42 (Ref:1656284)   #14
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would watch NASCAR if we had it on terrestrial TV or freeview in the UK
Old 14 Jul 2006, 16:15 (Ref:1656298)   #15
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I already ask for my first two NASCAR shirts.

Both from Ganassi's Team of course!

Now..., that's marketing!!!
Old 14 Jul 2006, 18:31 (Ref:1656366)   #16
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Probably a few hardcore Montoya fans will follow him to NASCAR but the majority will soon loose their interest in NASCAR and Montoya. One of the reasons NASCAR (Nextel Cup and Busch Series) will stay only for a short while in the picture is the fact that European TV coverage (both live and highlights) is poor. I think in most European countries it's not available or only on pay channels (i.e. Busch: Motors TV / Nextel: Premiere (German pay TV), NASN UK (UK pay TV), AB Moteurs (French pay TV). The attention in other (autosport) media is also zero or almost zero. Besides that new youngsters like Hamilton, Kovalainen, Piquet Jr and/or others will join the F1 grid in the near future and will do forget Montoya.

I think NASCAR will get some media attention again when Montoya makes his oval debut, Nextel debut, big crash and/or first succes. But this attention will probably be short and remain limited to autosport media only.
Old 14 Jul 2006, 20:17 (Ref:1656444)   #17
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Minicross424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it will not only help NASCAR but may also help the uk Stock car series at Rockingham that are low on numbers right now.
Go get them monty! im off to order my 42 shirt!
Old 14 Jul 2006, 20:52 (Ref:1656464)   #18
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
hi i would like to say i subscribe to nasn to watch all the nascar races and montoya moving to nascar will mean i watch it even more than i used to because my mum is a montoya fan and she will want to tune in as well excellent season so far nascar keep it up
Old 14 Jul 2006, 23:28 (Ref:1656573)   #19
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux
hi i would like to say i subscribe to nasn to watch all the nascar races and montoya moving to nascar will mean i watch it even more than i used to because my mum is a montoya fan and she will want to tune in as well excellent season so far nascar keep it up
I know a number of people that subscribe to nasn to watch Nascar and they have all been happy with the subscription. Although the subscription costs you some $$$$ there is an advantage in that you don't have the commercials to put up with.
Old 15 Jul 2006, 09:18 (Ref:1656715)   #20
Erki
Racer

Estonia
Tartu, Estonia
Erki has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by muggle not
I know a number of people that subscribe to nasn to watch Nascar and they have all been happy with the subscription. Although the subscription costs you some $$$$ there is an advantage in that you don't have the commercials to put up with.
And during those commercials you can see some good live onboard shots.
Old 15 Jul 2006, 11:18 (Ref:1656769)   #21
The Tour
Rookie

England
Croydon
The Tour should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am not too sure if Montoya going to NASCAR will increase the interest here in the UK too much? I certainly do not think it will be as big as the Mansell/CART switch.

I have never been quite able to get into NASCAR but then I may not have tried hard enough. I certainly have a great respect for any sport that pulls in as many fans as NASCAR does.

I just find it hard to fit NASCAR in! This week I am travelling to Snetterton for British F3/GT and then when I come home I have to watch F1, ALMS, LMS, BTCC and GP2 on Sky Plus!

As for JPM, he was an instant hero when he started in F1. Like most people I loved his approach but his stock has certainly fallen over the last couple of seasons. F1 is a political mine field and Juan Pablo's personality seems to have slowly been dying?? NASCAR will do him good.

My personal view on NASCAR is that some of us Brits just cannot get our head around the number of series, races, points system, etc! Thats our bad, not NASCAR's!
Old 15 Jul 2006, 14:38 (Ref:1656896)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Absolutely. It is up to us, as fans, to learn about different series.
Old 15 Jul 2006, 15:39 (Ref:1656937)   #23
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
Probably a few hardcore Montoya fans will follow him to NASCAR but the majority will soon loose their interest in NASCAR and Montoya. One of the reasons NASCAR (Nextel Cup and Busch Series) will stay only for a short while in the picture is the fact that European TV coverage (both live and highlights) is poor. I think in most European countries it's not available or only on pay channels (i.e. Busch: Motors TV / Nextel: Premiere (German pay TV), NASN UK (UK pay TV), AB Moteurs (French pay TV). The attention in other (autosport) media is also zero or almost zero. Besides that new youngsters like Hamilton, Kovalainen, Piquet Jr and/or others will join the F1 grid in the near future and will do forget Montoya.

I think NASCAR will get some media attention again when Montoya makes his oval debut, Nextel debut, big crash and/or first succes. But this attention will probably be short and remain limited to autosport media only.
Spot on. There is also the issue of the time difference between here and the US. I subscribed to NASN on the eve of the Daytona 500 in 2005 and only ever watched three or four races due, primarily, to being unable to stay up into the early hours when I needed to be leaving the house before 6 the next morning. In the end I cancelled my subscription as 11.99 a month was way over what I should have been paying for that.

I've done a few Nascar races in person and loved it. If someone that has been to all that effort won't subscribe then I can't see how Montoya moving to the Nextel Cup is suddenly going to have a big dent in the popularity of Nascar in Europe. Sadly.
Old 15 Jul 2006, 16:39 (Ref:1656985)   #24
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
Spot on. There is also the issue of the time difference between here and the US. I subscribed to NASN on the eve of the Daytona 500 in 2005 and only ever watched three or four races due, primarily, to being unable to stay up into the early hours when I needed to be leaving the house before 6 the next morning. In the end I cancelled my subscription as 11.99 a month was way over what I should have been paying for that.

I've done a few Nascar races in person and loved it. If someone that has been to all that effort won't subscribe then I can't see how Montoya moving to the Nextel Cup is suddenly going to have a big dent in the popularity of Nascar in Europe. Sadly.
Tape them.
Old 16 Jul 2006, 00:26 (Ref:1657189)   #25
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
I would love to get NASN and I watch all their freeviews, and I think after years of wanting I think I may finally, especially as the NHL returned etc.
I watch the Busch, races and sometimes stay up, but if I can't, I watch the replay during the day. I usually lose interest in the middle of the season because the races are so so long and there are what? 36 races in the championship?