Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 29 Mar 2001, 03:32 (Ref:75175)   #1
Martin de Reus
Rookie

Martin de Reus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Hi All,
What I know is that Williams produced a 6-wheeler during the 1980/81 off season that had the power being driven through both rear axles and that March produced a 6-wheeler which had the power running though only one of it's two rear axles. I like to find out more...did anyone else build a car with 4 rear wheels? Who designed the Williams and March ones? Does anyone have any pictures? Any info would be appreciated. I have attached a picture...Anyone know what car this is?
Attached Thumbnails
6-wheeler.jpg  
Old 29 Mar 2001, 18:46 (Ref:75285)   #2
Jeff
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bristol, England
Jeff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Below is the Williams 6 wheeler taken at The Coys Historic Festival at Silverstone last year
On the board it states it is from 1982 and is called the FW088 I think
Old 29 Mar 2001, 19:02 (Ref:75289)   #3
Jeff
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bristol, England
Jeff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some more info from www.rasf1m.org/faq.htm

"The Williams 6-wheeler was developed in 1980. The idea this time was to extend the area under the car available to venturi tunnels and to allow the rear wing to be mounted further back on the car. The cars were built and tested, but right about the time that they were ready to race the FIA came out with new regulations restricting F1 cars to 4 wheels mounted on 2 axles, so it never raced for the FIA World Championship. The cars still exist and have appeared
in several historic races. If I recall correctly, a Williams 6-wheeler won a historic race sometime in the last few years"
Old 30 Mar 2001, 10:53 (Ref:75403)   #4
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have a pic somewhere of the March 2-4-0. It was designed by Robin Herd like many March's.

I believe the Williams and March were the only 4 rear wheel 6-wheelers. The March only powered the one axle due to problems, not by design.
Old 30 Mar 2001, 10:57 (Ref:75405)   #5
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff
....If I recall correctly, a Williams 6-wheeler won a historic race sometime in the last few years"
I think you'll find that was the Tyrell P34 was the 6 wheeler that won in Historic F1 in the last couple of years. The car is owned by Simon Bull and raced to great effect by Martin Stretton.
Old 30 Mar 2001, 11:04 (Ref:75407)   #6
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this the pic, Elephino? From Bill Boddy's book...

Shows that the top pic on this page is definitely the Williams... wing, radiator are different.
Attached Thumbnails
march6w.jpg