Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 5 Feb 2001, 20:51 (Ref:62704)   #1
Marco di Napoli
Rookie

Marco di Napoli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is the 7th and last time I try: did MIKE WILDS won a race at OULTON PARK in a MC LAREN in 1983?

Has anyone the address of Mike WILDS ?
Yhank you.
Old 5 Feb 2001, 23:39 (Ref:62752)   #2
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hi Marco,

Welcome to the forum. I've had a look at my results lists, and I'm afraid I can't find any reference to Mike Wilds driving a McLaren in 1983.

That year he contested a season of British Thundersports, running a Chevron B19 sports car, but this didn't feature prominently at the Oulton Park round.

He also ran a de Cadenet Lola at Le Mans.

Can you give me another clue? Is it a sports or a single-seater McLaren you were trying to find out about? I'll concede my records of club monoposto races are rather incomplete. I'd have to go to the trusty Autosports for that!

Can't help with the address, but it's possible a letter to the BRDC would get forwarded. You never know!
Old 6 Feb 2001, 09:11 (Ref:62822)   #3
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Could it have been in Formula Libre at the time? I remember Alo Lawler in an Ensign I think and Tony Trimmer in a Lola T332, but might Mike Wilds have had a one off drive in a McLaren at Oulton? This is pure speculation by the way.
Old 6 Feb 2001, 13:09 (Ref:62856)   #4
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure of the address, but he's running in British GT's this year for a prominent team - so check out some GT news articles and the team is bound to have a webpage with their address on it..

Maybe that's a good way to contact him.
Old 6 Feb 2001, 13:15 (Ref:62858)   #5
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's racing a TVR Tuscan for Dennis Leech Motorsport.. No address or website found though.
Old 9 Feb 2001, 14:23 (Ref:63604)   #6
Flagman
Racer

Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you will find that Alo Lawler ran a McLaren till the engine bills got too much...
Old 13 Feb 2001, 09:34 (Ref:64504)   #7
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Marco sent me an email this weekend with the possibility that the car may have been a Williams. This is all that it took to get the memory banks whirring again, and I think I've got the answer.

The race was the British Open for F1, F2 and Formula Atlantic cars, at Oulton on April 1 1983.

The result?

65 laps - 107.51mph

1 Mike Wilds (Williams FW07C DFV) 1h01m50.29s (104.31mph)
2 Brian Robinson (Chevron B42 Hart)
3 John Brindley (Tyrrell 008 DFV)
4 David Duffield (Ralt RT4 BDA)
5 Mike Littlewood (Ensign N177 DFV)

not classified
Duncan Gray (Chevron B45), Ian Flux (Ralt RT4)

retired
Alo Lawler (Ralt), Tiff Needell (Fittipaldi F8), Jim Crawford (Ensign N180B), Neil Crang (Tiga FA82/3), Tony Trimmer (BRM P207).

Some interesting entries, I'm sure you'll agree. The Tyrrell that John Brindley ran was a Depailler car owned by Nick Mason, and it's interesting to see the name of Tiff Needell there. Keeping his hand in before he landed the Aston Martin sports car drive perhaps?

Marshal and Flagman, I've got Alo Lawler in a Formula Atlantic Ralt here. Is this the series he ran a McLaren in?
Old 16 Apr 2001, 15:30 (Ref:81172)   #8
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This was a championship that was abandoned after only one round.Also Tiff Needell's last F1 drive.
Old 17 Apr 2001, 00:17 (Ref:81338)   #9
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Thanks Rob for that. You've no idea of the rummaging in Autosport back-issues that has been going on trying to find more references to this "championship".

Hope this answers your question, Marco.
Old 17 Apr 2001, 02:04 (Ref:81361)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Aurora AFX championship ran for F1 and F2 cars and lasted three seasons. 79, 80 and 81 (I think). Mike Wilds drove a Ralt RT1 F2 car if my memory serves. He did get a win but I don't know where it was.
Old 17 Apr 2001, 07:41 (Ref:81410)   #11
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For the sake of strict acuracy it was scheduled as a 5 race series,no points.After the motley collection of 12 cars that attended the Oulton race,the remaining rounds were cancelled due to "lack of entries" The Thundersports series started at the same time and was more successful.
Old 18 Apr 2001, 21:19 (Ref:82103)   #12
stirlingmoss7
Rookie

stirlingmoss7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike Wilds

Mike Wilds...

A lovely bloke, very approachable and still working as a pilot but has the occassional drive in RJB Thundersports and GT racing.
Good luck!

Last edited by TimD; 18 Apr 2001 at 21:32.
Old 18 Apr 2001, 21:35 (Ref:82110)   #13
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum, Stirlingmoss7.

Sorry I had to snip the post, but it really isn't the best policy to post a third party's home address on a public site without their say-so.

It was a kind gesture to try to help, but you never know what kind of person might be reading this...

I wonder, if you are in contact with Mike, if you might invite him to log on sometime and share some stories with us. That would be something very special indeed.
Old 19 Apr 2001, 02:12 (Ref:82169)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Stirlingmoss7 and Tim.

I agree with what Tim said but just a thought. Could we contact Mike ourselves and see if he'd like to relate some stories for Parc Ferme? When I get back to the UK next week I'll see if I can find some pics of him from Coys 1990, driving an MGB. Then I'll see if I can make this swoopy new software work.