Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 18 Dec 2002, 21:50 (Ref:452950)   #1
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Surface Structure and aerodynamics

I was just perusing Mulsanne Corner, and looking at the LMR (specifically for Mike's aero analysis), and it got me wondering. Are cars today designed with any microstructure in the surface?

At the Ontario Science Centre, they have this cute little display with two balls of the same weight, one a golf ball and the other smooth, and showing which has more wind resistance (hint - they didn't change golf ball design after seeing this experiment). Obviously this experiment illustrates wall-bounded turbulence, providing laminar airflow closer to the surface than would normally occur for a smooth surface.

I just saw an article on sharkskin riblets, that discussed use of this in pipes.

So, is this something that could be implemented in cars? Would it be effective over 24 hours, or would cleaning be required?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 18 Dec 2002, 22:56 (Ref:453008)   #2
C_g
Racer

C_g should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
interesting thoughts!
Old 19 Dec 2002, 01:12 (Ref:453107)   #3
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read about this somewhere else, the concept was to have a sensor and a tiny 'pore' secreting water droplets over the surface of a car.
I believe Ford are working on it in the US.

Also, in F1, didn't the original Brabham BT46A (don't know if this was a fan-car or not) have heatsinks on the body in place of radiators? It didn't work and I'm not sure anyone has tried again since. Aerodynamics have come on a bit since then. Must be worthy of further investigation!

hey, I've just read the article, v. interesting. Very tempting to go and get something relatively well understood, like a 911GT3 or Viper, and see if a hairy on was any better!

Last edited by Osella; 19 Dec 2002 at 01:18.
Old 19 Dec 2002, 12:51 (Ref:453376)   #4
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know they have tried different coatings on aircraft wings/tailplanes in the past. One I aircraft I have worked on had the tailplanes painted with a rough tecture coating similar to the non slip paint you get on steps etc.
This was ment to allow the air molicules to grip the surface and create a much smoother surface than can be achived by paint.

They also use forced air flow over the leading adge of the wing to increase air flow/lift over the wing at lower speeds.
Old 19 Dec 2002, 13:45 (Ref:453445)   #5
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This same aerodynamics lesson is being used in fighter jets and extreme acrobatic aircraft as well. As much money as racing spends on aerodynamics they'll figure out a way to exploit it soon.
Never forget #99
Old 19 Dec 2002, 16:21 (Ref:453560)   #6
TVRfan
Racer

Wales
TVRfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the rear wing were building has dimples in. i have heard of them being on bonnets aswell, apperently the saleen's of Graham Nash had spares with them on. thet've been around for some time tho. It is amazing how much they work tho, on a rear wing we dropped from 0.32 to 0.28!
Old 19 Dec 2002, 17:01 (Ref:453592)   #7
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Which wing is that?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 19 Dec 2002, 18:11 (Ref:453631)   #8
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
I've been surprised that small vortex generators have not been utilized in motorsports in critical areas such as wings, front nose diffusers, etc. There is nothing that would ban them in the rules and they seem very practical, allowing a wing to operate more efficiently for example. And understand these aren't new devices, they've been used in the aviation industry for years, 40+. Though in aviation, they are traditionally used when a design doesn't function as hoped and are more a stop gap solution. So in avaition they have a stigma, though the documentation seems to show that they will improve inefficient designs as well as make good designs work even better when properly fitted and tested.
Old 19 Dec 2002, 19:07 (Ref:453661)   #9
C_g
Racer

C_g should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Toyota GT-One used a lot of vortex generators. This new Reynard seems to have a few too.
Old 19 Dec 2002, 19:26 (Ref:453674)   #10
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Not the kind I'm talking about, small surface mounted VGs along the lines of dimples or even http://www.computer-certainty.com/ (click vortex generators). Recall Mulsanne's was the first to point on vortex lift possibilities on the GT-One...

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/gtone101.htm

Using car architecture to generate vortexs isn't new. Champ cars have been using that methodology for some time now:

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/LolaUnderbody.jpg

But I have yet to see small, surface mounted VGs in use in motorsports.

Last edited by MulsanneMike; 19 Dec 2002 at 19:28.
Old 19 Dec 2002, 19:58 (Ref:453704)   #11
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember when Jim Hall first used the rear wing, every one knew it would work but couldent adjust and builders were very slow to use it. I think shiny race cars will be here a while longer. Hobie cat sailors were using this tech 15 yrs ago, but I see the Americas Cup boats bottoms are very smooth; any one know why?
Old 20 Dec 2002, 12:35 (Ref:454169)   #12
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So if I don't wash my car again, the dirt molecules that build up over the years will both increase my top speed and MPG.
Or the next time I hit a badger or fox the resulting hair & blood on the frontal vortex generator(Bumper) will also have the same effect?
good to know.
Old 20 Dec 2002, 18:10 (Ref:454382)   #13
norman-normal
Veteran

In a word Yes. This is not new tech. About a century ago, when golf had a smooth surface, they noticed that old balls with a rough, cut up, surface flew further and straighter: hence, the dimples. Enlightend race engine builders determined (about 20 yrs ago) that head porting increased HP but polishing did not(a lot of "experts" arn't aware of this). A surface like 800 grit sand paper seems to be best. Haven't you noticed fighter aircraft?
Old 20 Dec 2002, 18:36 (Ref:454405)   #14
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Nordic
Or the next time I hit a badger or fox the resulting hair & blood on the frontal vortex generator(Bumper) will also have the same effect?
good to know.
That's badger engineering for you.
Old 20 Dec 2002, 18:44 (Ref:454411)   #15
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
Well yes and no actually. If you left the entire surface "dirty" you'd run into an increase in form drag. The main thing about using sand paper, vgs, etc., is proper placement. You'd only want to place these devices in areas where the boundary layer could separate as it works to increase the energy in the boundary layer, thuse delaying separation. So less is more in this case.
Old 20 Dec 2002, 19:47 (Ref:454454)   #16
TVRfan
Racer

Wales
TVRfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its because the air 'sticks' to the smooth surface. i overheard some boy racers the other day and one was saying how it took him 2 days to polish his heads and exhaust manifolds and he could 'feel the difference'. ok. whatever mate. the smoother the surface the more sticky it becomes
Old 20 Dec 2002, 19:52 (Ref:454457)   #17
norman-normal
Veteran

Thanks Mike. My info is mostly "hands on" from building engines-race cars many years ago. I would be greatfull current info on the subject....Back then we knew some things worked but wern't sure why. It seemed as though the rough surface could hold a boundry of air that allowed the high velocity air faster passage. But then few of us had much formal education and in those days we could find nothing on the subject
Old 21 Dec 2002, 14:11 (Ref:454882)   #18
Brant
Rookie

Brant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Err, so does this mean the dimples are little area's of low pressure, causing the air to more closely follow the surface. Or have I got this all wrong.
Old 21 Dec 2002, 14:50 (Ref:454896)   #19
manicmechanic
Rookie

manicmechanic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Underwings

I read or heard somewhere that the ALMS was or is considering the use of vortex generators on the underwing of the LMP cars, has anyone heard if this is true and when will we see it?
Old 21 Dec 2002, 17:43 (Ref:454966)   #20
norman-normal
Veteran

I don't know Brant and it seems no one else does. This is a developing technology. One of the problems is that the military does not like to release information. Its interesting to note that water behaves in a similar fashion; no doubt you have heard of a sharks skin feeling like sandpaper
Old 23 Dec 2002, 11:51 (Ref:456054)   #21
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Following your advice,I have cleaned stragic parts of my car, the results while not yet fully collected seem to point to a small increase in top end on the run into work today, the MPG remained the same.
If any of you would like to spectate I shall be doing the 'downhill' run on the M23 at about 4pm tonite.

Have a happy and peaceful Christmas one and all
Old 23 Dec 2002, 12:50 (Ref:456096)   #22
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So now we know why Santa has a beard.
Merry Christmas everybody!
Old 25 Dec 2002, 19:00 (Ref:457286)   #23
Dauntless
Racer

United States
San Francisco Bay Area
Dauntless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This thread brings to mind an observation I have made several times on my race car. After wet track sessions, I have noticed the streaking left from droplets creeping along the surfaces, indicating adherence. In other areas the droplets are unstreaked, which I presume indicated detached air flow. I am planning a track session next month, and would like to investigate this more thoroughly. Can anyone recommend a specific type of oil to use? I plan to place droplets in a grid, go out for a track session, and then record the results. Maybe this can lead to using small VGs to re-attach flow where I want it.

Thanks! Stan