Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 5 Apr 2000, 19:21 (Ref:3286)   #1
Graham
Veteran

Graham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Anyone on here know much about drag racing?

When I was driving through Wincanton on my way to Castle Combe on 01 April, there was a yellow Camaro (I think) dragster up on a trailer parked beside the road, with a few big American cars in attendance around. Like that was where they had a workshop or something.

I wondered if anyone knew who the team were or what the car is.

It didn't have many stickers on it - just a few small ones on the front wings I think. It was yellow though.

[This message has been edited by Graham (edited 05 April 2000).]
Old 5 Apr 2000, 19:43 (Ref:3287)   #2
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I follow the NHRA drag racing in the US. sounds like to me that you saw what we refer to as 'doorslammers'. A road car that has been converted enough into a drag car that it is nearly undriveable on the road. Things like no front suspension, air-locker on the transmission, huge 15" slicks that require tubbing the chassis to fit them under the body, etc. A reasonably fast doorslammer can run the 1/4 mile in around 9 to 10 seconds. I have seen a very fast Chevy Malibu run it in 8.02 seconds.
Old 5 Apr 2000, 19:44 (Ref:3288)   #3
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Lee Purnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well spoted mate, I don't have a clue.
I don't even know where Wincanton is.
But it is a good point. Does anyone know much about Drag racing?
It is actually not that big in the UK, Santa Pod is our only stip isn't it?
Old 5 Apr 2000, 23:06 (Ref:3289)   #4
Graham
Veteran

Wincanton is south and west a bit of Combe (about 30 miles(?)), on the A303.

Anyway, I pass through it on my way to and from Combe. The dragster was about 50 yards left of Fan's Fish N' Chip shop (for all you GB food lovers out there).

Santa Pod isn't our only dragstrip - but I can't remember the other one. Begins with 'Y' I think (I'm probably hopelessly wrong). It hosts smaller meetings than SP - more grassroots I think. Dunno where it is. Might go to Santa Pod one day, if only to take pics.
Old 5 Apr 2000, 23:09 (Ref:3290)   #5
Graham
Veteran

Chevy Malibu?

Didn't Jason Minshaw's Dad race one of those alongside Jason (in his Mustang) in the old CTCC championship. Both were Demon Tweeks sponsored.

Anyone know whether Jason still races? In the front of the DT catalogue, his Mustang seems to be in the showroom.
Old 6 Apr 2000, 00:04 (Ref:3291)   #6
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Right you lot: time for some order here!

The four main dragstrips in the UK are Santa Pod, York Dragway, Avon Park and North Weald.

The car you saw Graham, runs in a class called 'Street Eliminator' where the 850hp cars are required to do a number of passes, complete a mandatory 'cruise' of 25 miles, perform three hot starts and return to the strip to finish the round. The idea of the tests is to expose race cars in disguise.

These cars are frequently capable of turning 9 or 10 second quarter mile times, with terminal speeds of about 150mph (that's 0 - 60 mph in about 1.8 seconds!!!!)

I can't remember the christian name of the guy who runs the yellow Camaro (the one I know of, anyway!) but his surname is Brewster - was this paited on the door, by any chance?

You really should go to at least one meeting this summer. It's a fun atmosphere - more like a big party really, and the feel when the 2000hp funnies leave the line... Whew! You feel it in your bones!
Old 6 Apr 2000, 00:11 (Ref:3292)   #7
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nice one, Sparky. I never came across that class before. Although it could explain the startling looking droop snoot Vauxhall Firenza I saw motoring near Santa Pod late last year.

On the Demon Tweeks cars, Graham, the Malibu has been up for sale in Autosport classifieds for yonks. Can't tell you if it's found a new home yet. The Minshaws have been doing a lot of other classes of racing, everything from Fiestas to Historic Lister Jaguars and Birdcage Maseratis.
Old 6 Apr 2000, 00:28 (Ref:3293)   #8
Sparky
Veteran

TimD, Would that be a blue over silver Firenza? With the biggest pair of Hoosiers you ever saw out back? Yup... Street Eliminator!

The other thing about these 'road cars' (all taxed and tested, Officer!) is the noise. Once back at the circuit, they drop the exhaust blanks and BRACKA, BRACKA, BRACKA... BIG crackly rumble!
Old 6 Apr 2000, 07:35 (Ref:3294)   #9
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sounds like the one, Sparky.

Cheered up the day immensely when it came past, it did.
Old 6 Apr 2000, 17:33 (Ref:3295)   #10
Graham
Veteran

Sparky,

That all sounds rather cool - you mean people have to take these Street Eliminator cars out into the country for 25 miles in order to qualify (if that's the right word)? If they do 0-60 in just under 2 seconds, how the hell do you control it on the road? Must be funny when boy racers try to beat them off the lights (although the practice is distasteful).

Brewster : I didn't see anything written on the door and I ... err ... went round the block again to get another look (of course!). All I remember was that it was pretty much old Camaro-shaped, plain yellow, MASSIVE rear tyres and either the front or rear wing had about 15 small stickers. There was a distinct absence of any competition numbers or white discs where you'd put it.

There was an old GMC van as tow car (grey I think - I wasn't really looking at that) and two or three other vast American cars. One was black (helpful, huh?).

If I'd seen them after I'd been to Combe, I'd remember more ...

I should have hopped out and taken a pic!

Do you have any old programmes from drag events? Maybe it says where the Brewster bloke comes from - racing programmes usually have their home town noted (as you probably know).

----------

Avon Park was the place I was trying to think of. Seen it on the TV... on Sky I think. Seems a place where the smaller drag formulae meet, which I much prefer to the Top Fuel monsters. Like in racing, I suppose.

So where exactly are the four strips you mention - in particular, Santa Pod and Avon Park. Any down south? What's the average ticket price? Are there regular small meetings, or just a few big 'uns where every class is run on the day? Can an amateur photographer take pics unhindered (mostly) by catch fencing?

Have you seen either the Rover 216(?) or Vauxhall Cavalier-bodied dragsters? I forget what the class was called - saw them at Hockenheim (on TV). Seems very weird bodies to have on dragsters.

----------

TimD,

Yeah, I've seen the Malibu advertised but not for a while now. It used to be in AS every week. I prefer the Mustang, but both were quick if I remember correctly. I remember the sound of the CTCC above all - that was a cool championship.

----------

Hang on, isn't there are a very similar looking Firenza racing in the CSCC Classic Thunder series? Maybe Peter M can tell us more. It had huge rear tyres also, and I think was blue over silver. Perhaps this is a classic paintscheme for Firenzas(?)

Didn't peeps used to rally these cars?

----------

Anyone,

What the hell does 'Santa Pod' mean? Who named it?

[This message has been edited by Graham (edited 06 April 2000).]
Old 6 Apr 2000, 20:10 (Ref:3296)   #11
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here's a few pics of some cars that race in the US and one from New Zealand.

This is a 1955 Chevy powered by a 511 cu. in. blown (supercharged) Alcohol Pro Modified.

Next up is a 1948 Austin A40 Pickup running a Chevy 350 cu. in nitrous injected small block. The truck hold 4 New Zealand national records and run s the 1/4 in 10.01 at 130 mph.

Last is a late 60s Chevy Camaro doorslammer.

[This message has been edited by KC (edited 06 April 2000).]

[This message has been edited by KC (edited 06 April 2000).]
Old 6 Apr 2000, 20:31 (Ref:3297)   #12
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Seeing that A40 popping a wheelie reminds me...

Anyone remember the guy in the seventies who built drag cars designed solely to rear up and do the quarter mile in a tailstand?

I remember three cars, a '63 Corvette Stingray, an Austin Mini Van, and bizarrely a Vauxhall Ventora Estate.

One design feature I vividly remember was the clear perspex panel inserted in the footwells so he could see where he was going...
Old 6 Apr 2000, 21:10 (Ref:3298)   #13
Sparky
Veteran

Santa Pod, the name is derived from the track's location - Podington. A small village just outside Bedford, Cambs. The 'Santa' bit is an attempt to make it sound a bit Southern Californian!!

I have seen the modern hatchback body styles used a lot more recently. It's an attempt to grab some dealership sponsors I reckon. It also helps the man on the street understand what he's paid his £12 for.

I too, remember the wheel-stander cars, but can't remember that guys name either. I'll research it a bit more.

I looked everywhere for the Cannonball programme from last year - can't find that either (What's happening?)

I'll see if I can find some photies for ya...
Old 7 Apr 2000, 12:35 (Ref:3299)   #14
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
There have been a multitude of demonstration machines at the drag strips around the US. The most famnous was a an Dodge Van-Pickup with a monster blown-hemi in the bed and a massive titanium skid plate on the rear. He could make a huge amount of blu-white sparks, especially at night. Also, there have quite a few jet engine powered machines as well.
Old 12 Apr 2000, 14:06 (Ref:3300)   #15
Andy H
Racer

Andy H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whilst taking dragsters I must mention the Invader jet dragster I saw at the Surfers Paradise Indy last year.

It was most impressive, perhaps someone from downunder can find some pics or info on it?