Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 15 Dec 2006, 13:39 (Ref:1791424)   #76
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The car certainly had an off later in the day.
Old 15 Dec 2006, 13:44 (Ref:1791428)   #77
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Plus the section in front of the driver is 'smoother', fewer angles, more curves.
And the extreme nose looks blunter?

Well spotted, whoever!
Old 15 Dec 2006, 14:13 (Ref:1791449)   #78
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonGeoff
Look at the middle picture, then look at http://groups.msn.com/DoughtyPics/wh...o&PhotoID=1088

You'll notice that the area between the front wheel arche and the nose is different, it's had the 'bridge' section removed. Probaly more re-profiling too.

Or am i seeing things???
I can't see that picture at work so I'll take your word for it
Old 15 Dec 2006, 18:42 (Ref:1791636)   #79
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonGeoff
Look at the middle picture, then look at http://groups.msn.com/DoughtyPics/wh...o&PhotoID=1088

You'll notice that the area between the front wheel arche and the nose is different, it's had the 'bridge' section removed. Probaly more re-profiling too.

Or am i seeing things???
Well the valence panel is defenitely removed, not sure about anything else...sure hope they weren't into cooling issues...in December...
Old 15 Dec 2006, 22:20 (Ref:1791792)   #80
Tim Dunlop
Racer

England
Derby, United Kingdom
Tim Dunlop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi there,

The car was definately running two different nose sections : -

According to a reply from GT3 driver Sean Edwards who replied to my post on Pistonheads regarding yesterdays testing the car was involved in an accident later in the day. Phil Keen went out in the Radical SR9 LMP2 and an MG got in his way, lots of damage to both cars apparently.

Regards

Tim

Last edited by Tim Dunlop; 15 Dec 2006 at 22:26.
Old 15 Dec 2006, 22:26 (Ref:1791801)   #81
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Tim, that angle shows the differences a lot better
Old 16 Dec 2006, 12:44 (Ref:1792085)   #82
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dunlop
Also spotted this guy hanging around the Radical LMP2. I am not sure who this is but I think it could be the Mercedes DTM driver Stefan Mucke.
Was he only hanging around or did he really test the Radical?
Old 16 Dec 2006, 17:55 (Ref:1792218)   #83
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
Thanks Tim, that angle shows the differences a lot better
I'll be honest, I see no difference between the two. And indeed I hear the differences are to the front diffuser/splitter only, not upper surface bodywork.
Old 17 Dec 2006, 09:56 (Ref:1792593)   #84
class4v
Racer

class4v should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike,

You need some glasses
Old 17 Dec 2006, 11:56 (Ref:1792742)   #85
PeterElleray
Rookie

PeterElleray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
class4v - Mike's eyes are fine.... Ofcourse it can clearly be seen that the roof panels (as they are known) have been removed in one picture. Mike probably thought that issue had already been dealt with. What he means - because he's already asked me - is that the 'front cover' is just as standard front cover without any reprofiling. Anything you may think you see is just a trick of the light, or unfamiliar because the roof panel normally covers it up.

OK - next question . Why did Shorty remove the roof panels? Ans: Because i asked him to.

Peter
Old 17 Dec 2006, 12:25 (Ref:1792762)   #86
Hammerdown
Racer

United Kingdom
Clevedon, UK
Hammerdown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Next question: Why?
Old 17 Dec 2006, 14:22 (Ref:1792852)   #87
PeterElleray
Rookie

That didnt take very long did it...

To check that it was behaving as its supposed to.
Old 17 Dec 2006, 14:25 (Ref:1792854)   #88
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe the roof panels being removed would help the aerodynamics as it would reduce the drag at the front/mid section of the car?

its just a hunch but looking at the car it seems air would flow better either side of the cockpit area.
Old 17 Dec 2006, 14:42 (Ref:1792860)   #89
PeterElleray
Rookie

no, far more subtle than that. The roof panels have two jobs. first, they make the car legal, without them you would be able to see the top of the floor from above and this is no longer allowed. Creations louvres, Lola's similar panel, porsches 'wing', these all fulfill that role. second, they act as flow conditioners and they play a role in the balance front/rear, and also the cooling.

peter
Old 17 Dec 2006, 15:13 (Ref:1792869)   #90
Hammerdown
Racer

United Kingdom
Clevedon, UK
And are they working properly?

I'm sure your roof panels don't have a 'wing' profile, do they!

Always found the louvres in them rather strange. Are they for flow conditioning? Is the effect you're producing here similar to the Porsche 'wing' arrangement.

I'm also puzzled by the Creation louvre arrangement. As far as you know, does it take all it's cooling air in through the raised nose?

Question to yourself (maybe) and 'Mulsanne Mike'. Are we going to get a nice in-depth tech piece about the Radical at some point?
Old 17 Dec 2006, 15:41 (Ref:1792876)   #91
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
And are they working properly?

I'm sure your roof panels don't have a 'wing' profile, do they!

Always found the louvres in them rather strange. Are they for flow conditioning? Is the effect you're producing here similar to the Porsche 'wing' arrangement.

I'm also puzzled by the Creation louvre arrangement. As far as you know, does it take all it's cooling air in through the raised nose?

Question to yourself (maybe) and 'Mulsanne Mike'. Are we going to get a nice in-depth tech piece about the Radical at some point?
Whenever Peter wants to open up about it...I'm all ears...I photographed the car at Petit, but figure I have a back log of close to 9 months. Been unable to source the usual photo standard for on-track imagery as well as having documentation holes in other various areas. My usual photograhper isn't cooperating! Anyhow, at some point expect new pages on Creation, Zytek, Lister, RS Spyder, and of course the Radical.
Old 17 Dec 2006, 15:54 (Ref:1792882)   #92
Hammerdown
Racer

United Kingdom
Clevedon, UK
Wish we had an Acura powered Radical in the ALMS. I think that combination could probably give the Porsches a good run for their money.
Old 17 Dec 2006, 16:09 (Ref:1792885)   #93
PeterElleray
Rookie

OK, since you asked....

Most cars take their cooling air in partially from the conventional 'top of nose ramp' location, and also a significant amount from the diffuser exit. This is why there are some cars with pitch related cooling issues - the diffuser stalls and sends a nice big bubble of stagnant air down the rad duct. I got caught out with this on the very first Bentley in 2001 - because it had been designed as an NA car in 2000 and then gained a turbo engine and two intercoolers. The rads worked fine but the intercoolers , which were fed almost entirely from the diffuser exit, they didnt. The Bentley arrangement from 2003 - and whats on the Audi R10 now, partially alleviates any of this by stuffing high velocity air from the front of the car straight through the suspension and into the rad/intercooler duct. This arrangement takes very little air from the diffuser into the pods, rather it channels that air out below the intakes and through the sides. The two airstreams cross at about 45 deg. It was something we kept fairly quiet about at the time but i think everyone's clocked it now. With a few strategically placed bargeboards (hidden from view) and strakes you get an effect similar to a formula car. If you look at the leading edge of the rad intakes on the doors on the Bentley on Mike's site you will see what i mean.

I guess if you close off the top intake with louvres then you take all of your air from the diffuser exit, yes. I dont know what proportion of the air originally came from the top on the Reynard/DBA/Zytec/Creation.

The louvres in the roof panels are a means of adjusting the balance i talked about, by venting air . No, they are not wing shaped, infact they are single skinned and the top of the 'wing' that you see has no underside internally. They appear to work as intended , yes. The Bentley was exactly the same. The Audi is the opposite.

Not sure about the timescale for a tech article on the Radical - lots of people have been asking almost since day 1. I'm happy to answer stuff for you guys here when i get the time, but please understand somethings i'm going to say i'd rather not go into. We'll see.

Peter
Old 17 Dec 2006, 17:21 (Ref:1792916)   #94
Hammerdown
Racer

United Kingdom
Clevedon, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterElleray
This arrangement takes very little air from the diffuser into the pods, rather it channels that air out below the intakes and through the sides. The two airstreams cross at about 45 deg.
Excellent, thanks for all that!

I assume the snippet above also explains the stepped shape of the sidepod exits on the new Porsche.

Looking forward to those new tech articles, Mike!
Old 8 Jun 2007, 00:43 (Ref:1931827)   #95
bil588
Veteran

United States
bil588 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are the new openings in the side for cooling?

http://www.americanlemans.com/Galler...0794243312.JPG

http://www.radicalextremesportscars....ake1/index.php
Old 20 Aug 2007, 00:26 (Ref:1992409)   #96
vorsprung
Veteran

vorsprung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Radical tested a new nose in Spa, but used the old one in race. They should have a more developed version in Silverstone. Overall it's very Audi-like, brake cooling duct is now under headlights.
Endurance-Info article and pictures
Old 20 Aug 2007, 07:57 (Ref:1992525)   #97
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
They also tested a new shock absorber system: http://www.radicalsportscars.com/new...lti4/index.php

I don't know whether they used it at Spa.
Old 20 Aug 2007, 15:30 (Ref:1992858)   #98
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The SR9 is seen here on the Multi Matics four poster rig. The Radical works team, headed by Paul Thomas, are carrying out development work on a new three shock absorber system. If we told you any more we would have to kill you!
Old 28 Aug 2007, 04:03 (Ref:1998079)   #99
bil588
Veteran

United States
bil588 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
multimatic from canada?
Old 28 Aug 2007, 06:59 (Ref:1998144)   #100
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bil588
multimatic from canada?

Same company but their UK site