Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: More TV for the mid field Fujitsu V8 drivers
How must their sponsor feel? 2 20.00%
I am glad I am not a sponsor ... no TV for the last half of the field 8 80.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30 Aug 2011, 23:51 (Ref:2948646)   #1
Murgatroid
Rookie

Murgatroid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FUJITSU V8 TV and "DEAD" sponsors money ...

LAST WEEKENDS Channel 7 TV production of the Ipswich Fujitsu V8 races was short of a one eyed name dropping top 10 shootout with no regard for the other 18 competitors in the field who in my opinion mostly did a very good job and provided a lot of entertainment.

These drivers and their teams often also work almost full time on sponsorship to assist their passage and rely on spectator and especially TV exposure to satisfy their benifactors and Ipswich TV was a glaring example of ... where and who are these drivers ... and what sponsors?

We all know who the rich Dad's are and in some cases their son's have "bought" good drives with good teams in good cars and will mostly be in the top ten but sadly the lesser financial drivers are still doing a great job and are receiving vitually no recognition from V8 Australia or especially Channel 7 and I suggest many will no doubt leave the series when their money runs out.

This year the Fujitsu series is well stocked with very good drivers in and the lap times are very close as result but racing mileage is lacking so that is also why they are a little further back and there to learn but Channel 7 seems hell bent on sensationalizing the races at the expense of the "other 18 drivers" not in the top ten who don't even get a mention or a split second picture of their signwritten race car ...

Reporters, announcers and commentators all have ego's too and maybe they are a little too impressed knowing the "stars" on a first name basis and reporting accordingly on the basis of "it is the main news" but the poor chaps a little furtherback on the grid might as well go and race "turtles" in the Simpson desert for all the coverage they are getting!!

HELP ... I hope Channel 7 does the Bathurst Fujitsu races better but have my doubts!!!

Last edited by Murgatroid; 31 Aug 2011 at 00:03. Reason: Tiny spelling errors
Old 31 Aug 2011, 07:37 (Ref:2948718)   #2
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Television coverage of Motorsport has never been a charity.

Want exposure? You'd better be at the pointy end of the field.
Old 31 Aug 2011, 10:04 (Ref:2948759)   #3
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Television coverage of Motorsport has never been a charity.

Want exposure? You'd better be at the pointy end of the field.
While I agree with your end quote, I sort of disagree.

Channel 7 once did a damned good job of putting some investment into the "privateers" during the 80's and early 90's. Fair enough, you never got hours of quality footage of the Lusty Brothers Commodore barreling around the mountain, or the Cotter-Doulman M3 - But you got to see the car and sponsors, you got to "meet" the characters in the pits, and they did make a solid attempt to mention them. Granted, it was mostly the misfortune, but you definitely got a sense of knowing them as well at the top tier guys.

More can be done, but it must be difficult in a 1/2 hour, cut down footage session. But ultimately, unless you want to rely on the main game cars to support the series, V8SA TV MUST put more emphasis on drawing us viewers into the 'plight' of the privateer. Viewers need to feel a connection to those younger guns, or older soldiers who week after week spend time on the machine shop floor helping the small team out, and their die-hard, supportive sponsors.

Or - is it we are now conditioned to not give a flying duck about them, and must follow the 'professional' teams supported and nurtured since IMG and Tony took over?
Old 31 Aug 2011, 12:55 (Ref:2948842)   #4
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murgatroid View Post
LAST WEEKENDS Channel 7 TV production of the Ipswich Fujitsu V8 races was short of a one eyed name dropping top 10 shootout with no regard for the other 18 competitors in the field who in my opinion mostly did a very good job and provided a lot of entertainment.
Important to clarify the production company responsible for this is V8TV as opposed to channel 7
Old 31 Aug 2011, 22:16 (Ref:2949118)   #5
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not sure if you watched the F1 on Sunday night, but the only time the HRTs were shown was when they smouldering and motionless on the side of the road.

Just because you're wobbling around the back of the field does not/should not justify TV coverage.

If you want guaranteed air time, sign up for an iRace meeting and pay your $400 entry fee.
Old 1 Sep 2011, 01:20 (Ref:2949181)   #6
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As with all races on TV, just show the interesting stuff, i.e. leaders, important battles and retirements. Good commentary should inform you of the rest.

Teams should earn their exposure.
Old 1 Sep 2011, 05:35 (Ref:2949219)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
Teams should earn their exposure.
I agree with you... except.. in the case of the main game... that as a shareholder of the V8SA company, you might imagine a mandated minimum exposure would be required for each team...

Interesting stuff from the Ross Stone Live Chat last night on the V8SA site...

... here's hoping the broadcast issue can be resolved...

... but the chat also talks to other issues...

Now I get that everything costs money.. but when you have a car in the top 5 in the championship, with multiple wins, would it not be important for a camera to be placed in the #9 car as a minimum! For the coverage's sake!

In the old days, #7 used to pay to put cameras in cars...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 2 Sep 2011, 03:30 (Ref:2949729)   #8
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why on earth should it cost a team to put a camera in a car? Every car should have at least one. That being said on many occasions over the last couple of years the in-car shots have been next to worthless because of poor camera placement, use of a single fixed lipstick camera and the annoying Larry bar.

I don't mind once a race showing the entire field stream by so as to get an idea of where they are on the road. Does that count as minimum exposure?
Old 2 Sep 2011, 06:31 (Ref:2949741)   #9
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I assume thats V8TV charging?
Old 2 Sep 2011, 06:36 (Ref:2949744)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
I assume thats V8TV charging?
Sure is... the camera in car, for 1 car, was said to be costing just south of $100k a season, and that was a few years ago now..
Old 2 Sep 2011, 06:53 (Ref:2949751)   #11
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can't just jam a sticker on a car and expect results. Even the front running teams, if the sponsors want results from the sponsorship, they have to do other promotional activities. You need to spend money away from the sponsorship of the car to make the sponsorship of the car work. Complaining that the TV doesn't show your car and then blaming that on a failure of a campaign shows a lack of understanding of how to make the most of the opportunities that motorsport business can provide.
Old 2 Sep 2011, 06:56 (Ref:2949752)   #12
D.R.T.
Veteran

Have we identified at what point teams were charged for incar camera's in the v8 series?
Old 2 Sep 2011, 07:11 (Ref:2949758)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkablamo View Post
You can't just jam a sticker on a car and expect results. Even the front running teams, if the sponsors want results from the sponsorship, they have to do other promotional activities. You need to spend money away from the sponsorship of the car to make the sponsorship of the car work. Complaining that the TV doesn't show your car and then blaming that on a failure of a campaign shows a lack of understanding of how to make the most of the opportunities that motorsport business can provide.
While I agree with the leveraging concept you outline, if a team has to make a decision between for example engine development or an incar camera, it kinda tells a lot about what a team rates as important that they pick one over the other.

SBR's view was that the car took precedence over the pictures of the car. Other teams may take the camera at the expense of the car...
Old 2 Sep 2011, 09:07 (Ref:2949789)   #14
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
money: how much & where it goes

My knowledge is dated (early 80s) when a public company I worked for looked at sponsorship of Aussie Rules (VFL), League in Sydney & Dick Johnson.

50% to the team, 50% for promo, hospitality, advertising. There would be a similar rule of thumb still I'd guess depending on the aim of the sponsorship.

Dick got $nil, they went with primary sponsor deals of the VFL & League clubs to build brand awareness.

My personal preference was to back Pete Geoghegan to put a car on pole & lead the first 10 laps @ Bathurst. Pete was in Bob Janes A9X at the time & still very quick. Shame I got rolled.
Old 9 Sep 2011, 17:47 (Ref:2953253)   #15
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely it would not cost V8TV much to have a camera in each car & they would get a decent return in capturing onboard footage of incidents etc?
Old 10 Sep 2011, 08:40 (Ref:2953427)   #16
mspence
Racer

mspence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
Surely it would not cost V8TV much to have a camera in each car & they would get a decent return in capturing onboard footage of incidents etc?
more cameras equals more frequencies, more equipment, more channels to the OB truck, more staff to rig and maintain.....
Old 10 Sep 2011, 22:07 (Ref:2953646)   #17
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fair enough, and I suppose the V8SC camera covers the other option of onboard recording for later use, although apart from the views of the Perth startline crash footage from those has rarely found its way onto our screens.
Old 11 Sep 2011, 11:03 (Ref:2953791)   #18
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Have we identified at what point teams were charged for incar camera's in the v8 series?
It certainly goes back to the early days with Channel Ten.
Old 11 Sep 2011, 11:16 (Ref:2953800)   #19
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
it seems to me that teams on charge that amount to sponsors

going back through old footage to about 1990 i can see that it was used to promote sponsors, only fair then that the network gets a cut

Last edited by peckstar; 11 Sep 2011 at 11:29.
Old 14 Sep 2011, 08:30 (Ref:2955297)   #20
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
it seems to me that teams on charge that amount to sponsors

going back through old footage to about 1990 i can see that it was used to promote sponsors, only fair then that the network gets a cut
That is exactly what happens - teams generally can value add to their sponsor deliverables or offer the sponsors the option of more coverage for a small increase on a meeting by meeting basis.