Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 26 Jul 2012, 21:06 (Ref:3111817)   #26
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Chiana, I'm not absolutely 100% certain, but I'm pretty close to it, that ALMS is actually going to use the original, 3.270-mile course at VIR. It's the layout they did the official testing on, and it seemed that the Dyson boys were telling me that that was the layout the series was going to race on.

I guess we'll find out for sure in 7-weeks-time.

Back to Mid Ohio, has there been much from the testing reports to suggest how the Vipers may actually do? I mean, I could understand there being some reliability issues to work out, but do we think they can run more or less on pace?
Old 26 Jul 2012, 23:21 (Ref:3111869)   #27
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That is good to hear if true.

About Viper's pace, I really have no idea. Never even found the IMSA timings for June's VIR test day, or anything else that isn't complete PR blahblah. We'll have to see what kind of restrictors they get for that 8 liter waiver-powerhouse but those mediocre (at best) driver line-ups don't exactly rise confidence, do they... though I did put #91 on pole on my FRC picks, just because

In a way, it's Mid-Ohio 2009 all over again - though that was obviously a little more exciting for me. Btw that too was a race without proper TV coverage, ie NBC's delayed "quality" show

Last edited by Deleted; 26 Jul 2012 at 23:26.
Old 26 Jul 2012, 23:39 (Ref:3111877)   #28
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post

About Viper's pace, I really have no idea. Never even found the IMSA timings for June's VIR test day, or anything else that isn't complete PR blahblah.
Naturally the data of the lap times was destroyed . Swallowed by a V10 air intake....
Old 27 Jul 2012, 08:13 (Ref:3111957)   #29
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Considering the size of the restrictors I'm sure you'd have a hard time squeezing a fart thru them let alone paper....
Old 27 Jul 2012, 16:53 (Ref:3112228)   #30
vogelmann4
Rookie

vogelmann4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MO is the closest big track to me so maybe I am a bit biased, but I really enjoy that place. It is easy to get around, there are plenty of places to watch from, shade and every class offers a different way around. My biggest complaint about that place is all the fences due to the stupid Indy Cars.

Speak of which....As for a good value, I will have to respectfully disagree. It was a valve before it was a combined weekend. Now ALMS only runs two days, WC gets minimal time and you have to suffer through three hours of single car Indy qualifying. And the tickets are more. Only good part about any of that is I get home earlier on Sunday.

Hope the GTs put on there usual show. Maybe it will rain again....
Old 27 Jul 2012, 18:02 (Ref:3112277)   #31
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
That's a bit of an exaggeration. IndyCar qualifying lasts just a little more than an hour, which is basically the same as what ALMS qualifying lasts.

From my end, the tipping point for convincing my driver to actually go is the fact that there are the two main races; it seems to be the main reason I haven't gotten back to Road America since 2008 (different driver that year also). And having two days of more major series helps when it's going to be a long day's drive each way to and from the track.
Old 30 Jul 2012, 16:50 (Ref:3113840)   #32
vogelmann4
Rookie

vogelmann4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well when you don't give a rat's @$$ about Indy cars it sure feels like three hours.

I know it's early but weather.com has 40% chance of rain all three days and high 80s.
Old 30 Jul 2012, 18:41 (Ref:3113888)   #33
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
It was 111 here yesterday, and we've had nil rain in some time, so 25 degrees cooler, and possibly some moisture, sounds pretty darn good.

BTW, if Barber was any indication, I think the new Indy Car could put on a pretty good show at Mid Ohio on Sunday.

Last edited by Purist; 30 Jul 2012 at 18:47.
Old 31 Jul 2012, 22:03 (Ref:3114435)   #34
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...-for-mid-ohio/
So Scott Tucker apparently found a solution, he will have Ricardo Gonzales codrive the #95 instead of Luis Diaz. Because Ricardo is still rated a "silver" class driver, he can help fill up the minimum amateur drive time. Personally, I think if he was going to do this he should have done it a lot earlier...
Old 1 Aug 2012, 09:39 (Ref:3114598)   #35
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!

ALMS Spotter Guide for Mid-Ohio is now online with a few new drivers as of today (JDX Porsche, Marino confirmed at PR1 again and more musical chairs at Green Hornet and TRG)

http://www.spotterguides.com/2012-almswec/
Old 1 Aug 2012, 12:45 (Ref:3114689)   #36
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quite the shake-up in GTC. Why is Pappas running in the JDX car? Do Black Swan not have their GTC car anymore? and I thought Green Hornet was quasi run by Black Swan, seems like that would have been a better fit. Oh well, I'm looking forward to the Patrick Huisman press releases for the weekend!
Old 1 Aug 2012, 12:53 (Ref:3114693)   #37
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Oh well, I'm looking forward to the Patrick Huisman press releases for the weekend!
Which will be covered in full on Midweek Motorsport.
Old 1 Aug 2012, 16:04 (Ref:3114779)   #38
FalkenALMS
Racer

FalkenALMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFalkenALMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The team just arrived here at Mid-Ohio, and are currently unloading the rig now. The Porsche looks great and Wolf Henzler and Bryan Sellers are looking forward to defending their win. If you're around, stop by and say hi! We're also doing a tech talk on Friday at our rig at 2:00! Hope to see some of you there!
Old 1 Aug 2012, 16:21 (Ref:3114788)   #39
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Really looking forward to how the GT field plays out this weekend at Mid-Ohio! I was hoping to run in a GTC car, but I need to be at Spa Monday morning for the final test before the Supercup round in a few weeks. I missed the last test after my flight was delayed leaving the Watkins Glen 6 Hour, so can't risk it this time!

Good luck to Team Falken Tire and anyone else on the forum running this weekend!

-mike
Old 1 Aug 2012, 16:59 (Ref:3114800)   #40
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My first guess is the BMW's may struggle again. For the past two years they have struggled with tire issues at Mid-Ohio. The 2010 race for them was particularly ugly. With larger tires on the Corvette and Porsche that may provide the needed grip to get through the tight turns a little better.
Old 1 Aug 2012, 17:37 (Ref:3114810)   #41
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
There are tentative plans for my driver and I to be up there for Saturday and Sunday. We'll just have to see. I definitely want to have a look at the Vipers. If it works out, this will be the 4th year in a row that we have made it to Mid Ohio for this event weekend.
Old 1 Aug 2012, 18:44 (Ref:3114835)   #42
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Quite the shake-up in GTC. Why is Pappas running in the JDX car? Do Black Swan not have their GTC car anymore? and I thought Green Hornet was quasi run by Black Swan, seems like that would have been a better fit. Oh well, I'm looking forward to the Patrick Huisman press releases for the weekend!
Green Hornet is its own organization funded by Peter Le Saffre. Last year they teamed up part way through the year (I'm assuming for cost savings and data sharing). As far as where Black Swan's GTC car is, I don't know. I'm assuming buying a ride in the JDX car is cheaper than bringing your car and team out of mothballs.

Chris
Old 1 Aug 2012, 22:41 (Ref:3114960)   #43
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One thing for the next version of the spotter guide, Luis Diaz got swapped out for Ricardo Gonzales in the #95 (even though the entry list hasn't changed yet)
Old 1 Aug 2012, 22:52 (Ref:3114968)   #44
Articus
Veteran

Where is Luis by the way?

Why dont they just stick Luis and Ricardo in one car for the whole season? Unless Tucker doesn't want anyone else to win the championship.
Old 2 Aug 2012, 00:06 (Ref:3115000)   #45
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm liking the proper sponsorship on the two Vipers.
Old 2 Aug 2012, 00:12 (Ref:3115003)   #46
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Where is Luis by the way?

Why dont they just stick Luis and Ricardo in one car for the whole season? Unless Tucker doesn't want anyone else to win the championship.
Luis might be fed up with not being able to race. Tucker will only field two cars if he can drive in both of them.
Old 2 Aug 2012, 00:44 (Ref:3115012)   #47
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Will be there, sadly my camera will not. May be my last ALMS race in a while as I'm saving up a trip for the Belgian Grand Prix next year.

Mid Ohio isn't the most exciting track, but it is one hell of a deal. $110 for three days of Indycar, American Le Mans, SCCA WC and a "road to indy" race all with paddock access.
I think last year's Petit Le Mans was one hell of a steal. $70 for 2 days at the track, or $80 for 4 days. Peugeots, Audis, Aston Martins, other cars from Europe. 9.5 hour race into the night, morning warmup, autographs, friday practice, friday qualifying, trans-am race, thursday night practice, IMSA Lite race, couple other support races, all with paddock access.

I was looking at tickets for Lime Rock this year and they wanted $60 for a 2 hour 45 min race with basically no support races. Doesn't compare at all.
Old 2 Aug 2012, 01:49 (Ref:3115025)   #48
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
TrueBlueFlyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post

Good luck to Team Falken Tire and anyone else on the forum running this
not quite running but I'll be volunteering as a flaggie, so really looking forward to yet another track

been on the road for three weeks now, started with ALMS at Mosport, Grand Am at Indy and now ALMS at Mid Ohio... will have Grand Am at Watkins Glen again the week after, just got to fix my car first when I get back home to Jersey... developed a coolant leak somewhere between Canada and Detroit that makes me really nervous
Old 2 Aug 2012, 16:53 (Ref:3115312)   #49
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Practice begins in a few hours. Can't wait to see what the Viper does.
Old 2 Aug 2012, 18:53 (Ref:3115343)   #50
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Practice begins in a few hours. Can't wait to see what the Viper does.
+4