Old 17 Nov 2008, 09:05 (Ref:2336260)   #1
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Geraldton, W.A. or Beached is bro!
TilkeWannabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Barbagallo Raceway extension challenge

OK then,

Barbagallo Raceway is the only place in Western Australia where you can go racing prefessionally. There's been mounting pressure on them to upgrade their facilities to keep their spot on the V8 Supercars calendar for next year onwards.

The previous government has palmed off the idea of a street race in the Perth CBD (As in around Langley Park next to the Swan River, which some may not know was the runway for the Red Bull Air Race there a couple of weeks ago.) and there's been speculation that there could be another track constructed in the outer suburbs of Perth as a replacement for Barbagallo.

The new Premier, Colin Barnett supports the idea for a street race from 2009 onwards, but the state government has appointed a company called GHD to outline what options it has in order to improve the track and it's facilities, which will be mentioned in a report that will go before the govt. in 2 weeks time.

Options include;

1. A 1.2 km extension and new pits, garages and full track lighting to the already 2.4km track.

2. "A major track extension enabling multiple configurations, new pits and garages, new medical facilities, full track lighting and a hardstand for use as parking or a skidpan. (Most popular option with the govt.)

Your challenge is to choose either one of those (or both if you wish) and come up with a viable upgrade for the track and facilities so it could keep its position on the V8 Supercars calendar.

It should also be mentioned that the facilities can only go behind where the original pit lane is because of the placing of the track in accordance with the main entrance instead of the preferable option of the inside of the track. Extensions of the main straight would be tricky too because of the main spectator point for that part of the track and the main entrance. The grounds also contain the local Soapbox Club and the Wanneroo International Raceway. It is also unknown to me if the boundaries will be extended in order for the track extensions to go ahead. I will let you know if they are ASAP so that there are more options available to you.

Here's the track in it's current layout.

Attached Thumbnails
Barbagallo Raceway.gif  
Old 17 Nov 2008, 09:08 (Ref:2336261)   #2
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Or you can go to Google Earth to get a better look at the track and the surroundings.

Good luck, if you're interested.

Oh, and go easy on me because it's my 1st challenge.
Old 17 Nov 2008, 18:55 (Ref:2336532)   #3
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Two new configurations plus the existing two unharmed.

Peter Brock circuit : 4.66 km. Full length of indicated route.
Mark Porter circuit : 3.98 km. Peter Brock circuit bypassing Kolb
Jack Brabham circuit : Current GP circuit
Alan Jones circuit : Current short circuit
Ashley Cooper circuit : The extension and part of the back straight.

Labelled new corners : Numbered them but couldn't think of any names.
Attached Thumbnails
barabagallo.PNG  
Old 17 Nov 2008, 23:05 (Ref:2336694)   #4
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've added one kilometre to the circuit length, now 3.4 km, I've done this at the expense of running through some of what appears to be car park. Some of the areas around the Motocross track could be cleared to recoup the parking spaces.

The biggest thing is that I've changed the Direction (Now there's a shock ), and moved the S/F straight one, possibly 2 trackwidths towards the infield. This not only gives the paddock more space but allows for the new T1/2 complex.
The new T1 also allows a safer pitlane exit.

I've tried to keep as much of the existing circuit in use albeit in the reverse direction, so that existing spectator areas could to some degree still be used.
Attached Thumbnails
Barbagallo circuit copy.jpg  
Old 30 Nov 2008, 04:25 (Ref:2344096)   #5
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Those are both great edits. SBF, yours looks a little cramped in spots I think.

Now it's my turn, I couldn't post anything yesterday because my pathetic computer wouldn't work like a computer's supposed to.

My edit has 3 configurations, actually it has 4 with most of the first part of the track is for drifting using an alternative turn 3. Mine also goes throiugh the main parking area, the motorcross track by the looks of it and the spectator are at turn 1, the main access road will have to be altered in order for the extended main straight and the new turn 1 spectator area to work. I have no idea how long the configurations are but now the long circuit is now a proper length to host V8 Supercars and motorbikes. Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Barbagallo extension.jpg  
Old 9 Dec 2008, 08:22 (Ref:2350768)   #6
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
How come no-one's said anything?
Old 9 Dec 2008, 10:37 (Ref:2350871)   #7
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Strange last time I looked your image wasn't visable.

First thing is that like the current layout the pitlane exit has to be changed, the exit onto the outside of T1 is in the line of fire for someone with a brake lock up or other mechanical issue at the end of the straight.

There is a lot of similar radius near 180 degree corners, T1,4,8 and 11. Another if running the shortest loop at what would be T5.

Running T9 in both directions is interesting. Not impossible but would require careful planning of where the flag posts and positioning of recovery vehicles from the gravel trap are located etc.
The last thing a circuit owner want's is down time, moving barriers to allow the other direction could be time consuming.
Old 10 Dec 2008, 04:53 (Ref:2351491)   #8
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Maybe it wasn't visible because it may not have been posted yet. Dunno.

That whole pit lane being in the wrong place is, in the real world, unchangeable. The upgrades will be going on where the current pit lane is. Maybe you have to see some footage of V8 Supercars racing round there on YouTube or something before you go wanting to put the pit lane on the other side. It would be so expensive I reckon and there isn't exactly acres of space on that side either and you've got that control tower thing on the inside too, that'll have to be moved. Then there's also the issue of the spectators watching the action from the first esses. I don't think they'll wanna see the backside of the pit & paddock area whilst trying to watch the racing.

You're right, the pit lane is on the unpreferred side of the track, but that may have been the plan when it was 1st conceived, maybe because of space limitations. I know if I were to put the pit lane somewhere, it would be on the inside, but seeing as it would never happen, I wouldn't bother trying to argue the point of getting it moved.

BTW, thx mate, so you think it may not work in the real world?

Last edited by TilkeWannabe; 10 Dec 2008 at 04:57.
Old 10 Dec 2008, 09:11 (Ref:2351620)   #9
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Go back and read what I wrote beside my own design. It's a possible solution without moving the core of the paddock.

I've seen plenty of V8 action, evey round is telelvised up here on a same weekend delay (all races shown Sunday afternoon up here which in real time is about 7 or 8 hours after race 3 finishes) Bathurst being the exception which is LIVE.
I know such designs and Barbagallo isn't the only one with this pit configuration and can be made to work in the real world, so yes this could work.
But if your going to upgrade it's foolhardy not to at least investigate ways of making the pitlane and exit safer.
Old 10 Dec 2008, 22:31 (Ref:2352128)   #10
xlr8r
Racer

United States
Boston, Massachusetts
xlr8r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is my version

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2434514

I changed virtually everthing. There is a new main straight with pit and paddock facilites where the parking area in the middle is. Barely anything is recognizable from the original. the old pit area would be retained when the maion circuit is diveded into two short courses.
Old 10 Dec 2008, 23:09 (Ref:2352167)   #11
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
If the pitlane and paddock moved to where the parking currently is, then you'd still have the issue I was discussing with TW about the pitlane exiting on the "wrong side" of T1. But again these circuits do exist and can be made to work.
Old 12 Dec 2008, 08:05 (Ref:2353262)   #12
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
I did read what you wrote, but remembering that part of the challenge included upgrading the pit and paddock in the same place as the existing pit and paddock. In the real world, that's what the plans are. I know it goes against your belief, along with many others, including myself, that the pit lane is in the wrong spot, I'm not saying that it should stay the way it is, but it should be in the preferred spot, in which it isn't right now with regards to racing line and avoiding unavoidable accidents etc etc.

Thx xlr8r for your contribution. For a bit, I didn't think there'd be anymore.
Old 12 Dec 2008, 08:18 (Ref:2353273)   #13
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Oh, and I like it too. Is the pit lane on the inside or not, just to clear that up with this one?
Old 12 Dec 2008, 12:03 (Ref:2353420)   #14
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's my attempt all tracks are clockwise

Not sure on the practicality of the shorter circuits - really just test tracks

I solved the pitlane issue by starting it earlier and therefore finishing it earlier
Attached Thumbnails
barbagello challenge.jpg  
Old 14 Dec 2008, 07:53 (Ref:2354538)   #15
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Matt, I'm guessing that you stuck with the 1.2km extension with this one? Shortening the pit lane may not be a good idea, and the current S/F straight isn't exactly long to start with. It's an interesting extension with all those configurations and a good effort nonetheless.
Old 14 Dec 2008, 12:12 (Ref:2354635)   #16
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yea i went for the 1.2 km extension

I intended to start the pitlane earlier allowing for a earlier exit, but it looks like my brain didn't link to the mouse very well
Old 21 Dec 2008, 05:57 (Ref:2359125)   #17
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
That's quite alright.