Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 30 Aug 2009, 18:10 (Ref:2531272)   #1
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
[NNS] NAPA Auto Parts 200 @ Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Race lineup
Old 30 Aug 2009, 18:38 (Ref:2531305)   #2
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ready to go. Looks like it's going to rain!
Old 30 Aug 2009, 18:48 (Ref:2531316)   #3
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Rain? Looks dry.
Old 30 Aug 2009, 18:51 (Ref:2531320)   #4
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
When I tuned in they said rain may be on the way. Still might be I see.
Old 30 Aug 2009, 18:54 (Ref:2531324)   #5
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
From dry to rain makes it even more fun...
Old 30 Aug 2009, 18:58 (Ref:2531332)   #6
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Ambrose: go, go, go!
Old 30 Aug 2009, 19:07 (Ref:2531343)   #7
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
The live stream is not great so will watch race later this week.
Old 30 Aug 2009, 19:08 (Ref:2531346)   #8
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
The live stream is not great so will watch race later this week.
You on the justin.tv one?
Old 30 Aug 2009, 20:55 (Ref:2531471)   #9
monaroCountry
Racer

monaroCountry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marcos Ambrose leads - lap 40

Old 30 Aug 2009, 22:27 (Ref:2531537)   #10
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Jeeeebus. a 10 minute caution for 1 peice of debris that could have been picked up by a marshal hopping over a wall.

What are they doing???
Old 30 Aug 2009, 22:32 (Ref:2531539)   #11
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
And another caution. Only 6 to go, come one. I want to go to bed!
Old 30 Aug 2009, 23:00 (Ref:2531551)   #12
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Wow, Ambrose got mugged! Night all!
Old 30 Aug 2009, 23:11 (Ref:2531554)   #13
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
His fault though. That;s the first time I've seen him angry in the US.
Old 30 Aug 2009, 23:22 (Ref:2531563)   #14
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Indeed.

i thought Edwards move on Ranger at that last restart was pretty grizzley.
Old 30 Aug 2009, 23:27 (Ref:2531567)   #15
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That was an embarrassment of a race. Shame for Ambrose.
Old 30 Aug 2009, 23:39 (Ref:2531574)   #16
monaroCountry
Racer

Damn I missed the ending, I guess I gotta find out how Ambrose got mugged through youtube. I would be angry too, how many times has Ambrose nearly won that race, only to be denied. I guess Ambrose really want to win this one (even though its a road course) but its turning out to be a boogie track for him.
Old 30 Aug 2009, 23:41 (Ref:2531576)   #17
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by monaroCountry View Post
Damn I missed the ending, I guess I gotta find out how Ambrose got mugged through youtube. I would be angry too, how many times has Ambrose nearly won that race, only to be denied. I guess Ambrose really want to win this one (even though its a road course) but its turning out to be a boogie track for him.
He didn't get mugged... or even touched... he jumped the curb in the final corner, put the car sideways, Edwards went by for the win.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 00:33 (Ref:2531606)   #18
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cant believe it, what a jib - that is what we call the "good old Aussie choke"
Old 31 Aug 2009, 01:35 (Ref:2531630)   #19
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
The race showed how badly NASCAR needs to further explore using localised yellows on road courses (or, at least, keeping the FCC periods as short as possible). One little bit of debris, at one edge of one point of the track, should not equal 5 laps of FCC: it is just absolutely ridiculous.

They also make too much of the changing for rain tyres. Nevermind the FCC and red flag periods, followed by more FCC: just leave it running green. Let them teams and drivers decide when to come in for tyres, and they can decide what changes to spend time making when they come in. It is rather unnecessary the performance that is gone through. The more cautions they create in slippery conditions, well, the more accidents they are going to have (especially with double-file restarts). This is apparently not obvious to NASCAR.

As for Ambrose? It is a shame for him, but it was all his fault: he cracked under pressure, and it cost him the win.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 05:49 (Ref:2531681)   #20
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
well folks, this was the first time I have ever watched a Nascar race (although to be honest, I dont understand teh hierarchy of Nascar, it seems that there are loads of levels)
I watched this my old friend that I have been watching F1 for about 30 yrs, and I had to come on and mention some of our thoughts... (I am trying very hard to be open minded here, really)

-as mentioned, the full course yellows were sometimes needed, but it did seem that at times cars could have been pushed into runoff areas, and or as also mentioned, bits could be picked up (I concede that seeing "bits" on tv is not the same as a marshall seeing loads of little bits that need a good sweeping...) BUT good lord, the yellows seemed to last a ridiculous time...
-from teh start, 10 laps in, a "mandatory yellow" period, as "the drivers were unaccoustomed to racing in the dry" Jeepers...do they need someone to unzip their trousers when they go for a pee too?
-the "mandatory yellow" period for when teh rain came?? As mentioned, for crying out loud, put the damn wipers on at teh beginning and dont be a bunch of woosies and deal with it, make a decision when to put wets on (again, rather Nanny society of them)--I try to be open to the fact that these guys (most) dont race in the rain...but I mean, this is not an oval, so it comes with teh territory...jeepers.
-there were times when my friend and I just shook our heads at teh bashing going on, Have any of you ever gone karting with guys who are complete louts for bashing into the back of you etc, cuz todays race really showed up a huge lack of motorsport etiquette of rubbin and bashin (I know I know, lack of "road course" experience, wet racing--but still, I guess it is my bias to the "culture" of "rubbin")
-I dont know, you have these extended yellows for "safety" reasons--fair enough, but crikey, they seemed to let cars race around in all kinds of perilous mettalic condition, bits hanging off, the guy smoking like heck at teh end??? Doesnt seem to be consistent with teh nanny-safety side of other stuff.

-it must have entertained the heck outta teh crowd, but it really did make me think of the BTCC from years past, bang here, bang there, tap tap, spin spin...etc etc
I guess this is hardtop racing, but it was pretty darn sloppy at times.

-I am pretty familiar with teh track, so I do know that it is often hard to put damaged cars into safe spots quickly, and there sure was a heck of a lot of bits and pieces being distributed just about everywhere, and track worker safety is paramount, I guess the memory I shall keep of watching the race was just how time and time again we just shook our heads at stuff.

-all that said, the race organizers put on a FREE friday, anyone could go, sit in the stands and watch teh support races practice sessions and quali (F1600, Daytona Prototypes, grand am guys) which although i had thought of going, didnt have time to go. Kudos to them for this, as I am sure lots of dads took kids in the last days before school started. Not sure how many people showed up though.

well, it made for a fun race weekend with my friend. We watched the Montreal DP/Grand Amy (not sure if that is the name of it, GT sort of small group with the DP guys), saw the Belgian GP at 8am today, then the Montreal Nascar bangfest, so quite a varied bunch of racing (cant forget Motogp too, will watch tomorrow though)

cheers
Old 31 Aug 2009, 09:00 (Ref:2531736)   #21
monaroCountry
Racer

This track is turning out to be Ambrose's Bathurst................

For those of you that do not know about bathurst see below. That vegetation on the background isnt shrubs but tree tops and yes they are racing on the side of a maountain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coRdE9juqOc
Old 31 Aug 2009, 12:18 (Ref:2531807)   #22
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i only caught the last 13 laps, which ended up lasting two hours.

well, we all want them to race on rain tires, and thanks to the idiots that run the show, they come up with the brilliant idea to stop all the cars left to change tires and have a double file restart in drying conditions. can't see how drivers who have very little to no experience whatsoever driving in the wet go sliding all over the place

steven wallace was flat out ridiculous tho.

speaking of which, not sure what he did to jump the curb but marcos tossed one away there...can't take anything away from carl for pressuring him and "keeping it together" through the chaos, but damn...that's gotta hurt for Taz.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 13:04 (Ref:2531828)   #23
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton View Post
The race showed how badly NASCAR needs to further explore using localised yellows on road courses (or, at least, keeping the FCC periods as short as possible). One little bit of debris, at one edge of one point of the track, should not equal 5 laps of FCC: it is just absolutely ridiculous.

They also make too much of the changing for rain tyres. Nevermind the FCC and red flag periods, followed by more FCC: just leave it running green. Let them teams and drivers decide when to come in for tyres, and they can decide what changes to spend time making when they come in. It is rather unnecessary the performance that is gone through. The more cautions they create in slippery conditions, well, the more accidents they are going to have (especially with double-file restarts). This is apparently not obvious to NASCAR.

As for Ambrose? It is a shame for him, but it was all his fault: he cracked under pressure, and it cost him the win.
I completely agree with the comments above. I've been watching Nascar since the mid-80's and I'll tell you that nothing will change. Instead of improving the sport, Nascar will try to convert all other forms of motorsport to their way of thinking... it's much better.
Old 1 Sep 2009, 11:11 (Ref:2532402)   #24
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I completely agree with the comments above. I've been watching Nascar since the mid-80's and I'll tell you that nothing will change. Instead of improving the sport, Nascar will try to convert all other forms of motorsport to their way of thinking... it's much better.

Look at the AMA superbike series....no wait....don't look. I can assure that all of you will cry.
Old 1 Sep 2009, 11:15 (Ref:2532407)   #25
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
His fault though. That;s the first time I've seen him angry in the US.

He was miserable last year there after finishing 3rd.