Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 7 Nov 2016, 03:43 (Ref:3686124)   #26
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here is some good ol grass roots racing.
Beware though, it can be habit forming.
Price to attend is usually $10. Last event
I went to was free.
http://www.chumpcar.com/
They do go to Mid Ohio.
Old 7 Nov 2016, 03:47 (Ref:3686127)   #27
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
schmidder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or come on out and check out the 25 hours of thunderhill. Grass roots for sure..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 7 Nov 2016, 07:52 (Ref:3686149)   #28
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I will add that living in the UK I am able to go and see juts about anything within a 100 mile radius of where I live so it's far easier to spread yourself a little thinner to see anything you want to see!
Old 7 Nov 2016, 08:16 (Ref:3686153)   #29
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I agree with the poster who said fix your life and yourself and then... who cares if you like racing or not?

As another who has battled depression for decades, I know that having a reason to live--Purpose--really Is what it is about (well, at least that is how I see it.) When going through bad spells, Nothing seems very good, and sometimes the stuff which use to energize me and almost literally keep me alive stops working ... which is a sign I need to look for a deeper purpose ... or that I need to address those deeper issues which I was able to hold at bay/keep distracted from by other activities (like watching/following racing.)

Take the time to help yourself. Racing will be fine without you ... what is important is that you are okay with or without racing.

Maybe in time you will find racing excites you again, or maybe it will be field hockey, or bird-watching, or ice sculpture, or photography, or surfing ... who cares? Get right with yourself and whatever you do will be right.
come to be perfectly at peace with how it all works.
Old 7 Nov 2016, 10:05 (Ref:3686186)   #30
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Take a look at historics. I have as I have recently become more disillusioned with modern series, they remind me of what I used to love about the sport.

There aren't that many UK based historic sportscars series that I know of, (as in nothing from the 80s / 90s / 2000s etc) however there is a growing touring car and single seater scene from that era.
Old 7 Nov 2016, 17:08 (Ref:3686254)   #31
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I didn't want to reply to this thread based upon the initial post because it was no different than what you had posted in multiple other threads. But I feel this thread is going in a positive direction. And I also want to apologize if my prior comment elsewhere were overly snarky.

My impression is that because of your young age I would think that you have a pretty short involvement in motorsports. Given that Audi has been flying high for a good stretch of that time, it appears that is a huge part of your motorsports experience and it has been mostly all positive. I am a bit over 50 and was young enough to catch the tail end of the Group C/IMSA era (have watched them in person at Mid-Ohio) and the good years of Indycars. Both of which are now considered to be golden eras, but also gone. So maybe with age you can see that you have to enjoy the good times while they last and not be caught by surprise when the bad happens. I attended the COTA WEC race last year purely because I felt it may not last and I wanted to see it in person and not regret missing it later. Even with the ups and downs, I am still optimistic about the future of prototype racing.

I also don't put all of my motorsport interests into a single basket. I am a fan of more than a single marque (Honda and Porsche) and am a fan of more than a single F1 team (Williams and McLaren). I always seem to have someone to cheer for (and complain about ) in a series somewhere. I also am a big fan of the technology side of motorsports. So I can dive into that and enjoy that aspect across all teams in the series I watch. As I mentioned in another post, I also enjoy more than just pro series racing. I help out with some friends who do LeMon and Chumpcar racing. I also enjoy spectating SCCA, NASA and historic races at a VIR (somewhat local to me). Others have mentioned the same thing. Grassroots motorsports is always a breath of fresh air when you need it. I also have interests outside of motorsports.

Personally, I hope you stay here and find someone else to cheer for. You seem quite passionate, so don't give up on it. Create some diversity in your interests and your life.

Richard
Old 7 Nov 2016, 17:48 (Ref:3686262)   #32
Dodge_Swinger
Racer

United States
International Space Station
Dodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I feel you.

First, I too have struggled with depression for a long time. As you probably know, one of the symptoms is lack of interest in things that normally bring you pleasure. When the "black cloud" gets you, everything tends to suck. If you're not getting help, please do so. If you are, "keep on keeping on".

To the point of your post, I got pretty much fed up with racing a year or two ago. Since the late 70s, I followed F1, CART, and sports car racing. I lost interest in Indy cars after the split. They went from being a interesting and viable alternative to F1 to well, crap. I lost interest in F1 around the time Schumacher retired. I was a hardcore ALMS fan until the merger. About the only thing I follow with any regularity these days is WEC.

As you know from spending any amount of time on these forums, there is endless debate with valid points on all sides about WHY racing has to be the way it is today. I think it's primarily due to the way cars in general are viewed today, but that's for another thread.

I've lost interest because of the way cars have to equalized. Innovation is discouraged and/or penalized. I am fascinated by cars like the Tyrell P34, Chaparral 2J and the STP-Paxton Turbocar. I don't mind if a car or a team dominates a series. I know that this often results in the failure of a series, but I can also point to teams like Minardi in F1 who soldiered on simply because they wanted to BE there. I won't get into a debate as to why this has to be, but it's the reason for my lack of interest in most racing.

Strangely enough, I've started watching things like Pro Pulling. The open class is pretty much what it says. I've also started to pay more attention to Historics.
Old 7 Nov 2016, 17:51 (Ref:3686263)   #33
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
As I mentioned in one of the seven other places you've posted the exact same thing looking for attention...

Go out to your local short track every Saturday night and help keep them open.
Old 7 Nov 2016, 17:59 (Ref:3686264)   #34
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Very well said Richard.

I'll echo others sentiments in that we shouldn't desperately hold on to something for the only reason that it is what we've become accustom to or comfortable with if we find no more joy in it. I've done so with many forms of motor racing and find being more interested in "cars" is more enjoyable these days, especially historics racing.

To give a personal example:
I am naturally very athletic and grew up playing many sports but chose to excel at soccer. At one point, I was one of the best of my age class in my national region. I accomplished many goals most people don't reach in the game and sports in general. However, at age 20, after 3 years playing college soccer, I no longer had passion or joy for it, so I walked away with no regrets.

I've played off and on since and have been able to find more enjoyment playing for fun and passing on my knowledge to my sons. Much like many things we love, perhaps it's best to let this one go for bit and see if it comes back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
Like some of the other guys said, I'd look into attending some other forms of racing in person just to get out of the rut. I'm planning on going to the Gatornationals the day after Sebring next year. I've never been to a drag race other than local amateur stuff a long time ago and I don't follow NHRA at all but I bet it will be a blast.
I won 2 tickets on the radio this spring to the Southern Nationals at the Atlanta Dragway. I took the family and so it was all of our first times. I am hooked! There's not a whole lot that's cooler than 2 Nitro Funny Cars blowing past you, full throttle at 300+ MPH. It's pretty incredible and make sure you get into the paddock area. Just watch the Nitro fumes. I forgot
Old 7 Nov 2016, 18:02 (Ref:3686265)   #35
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Go out to your local short track every Saturday night and help keep them open.
I need to do more of this. Saw someone post a pic from Toccoa Speedway this weekend. They are out there in the SE, but the numbers are dwindling. Butts in the seats are what they need and we all need to view motor racing where it's best more than watching through a hole in our house.
Old 7 Nov 2016, 18:11 (Ref:3686270)   #36
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
About 2 years ago I've visited a lawn mower race event in Avon Park, FL. the weekend before the 12H @ Sebring - a hoot! I'm sure the same goes for what Matt suggests (although every Sat. night sounds a bit much! ).

To add to my earlier recommendation: I'm sure you'll find your fellow spectators (and if you go to a more grassroots type of event those will be mostly crew folks and such) much more friendly and easy going than most of us appear to be here on this forum, somehow the digital world doesn't always seem to bring out the best in people and therefor we often seem to be much more critical and negative than in the real world - I myself am no exception!

Take care and hope you'll stick around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
Motorsport to me is about man and machine vs man and machine at the end of the day - as long as there are drivers in the car and they go fast, I'll continue to watch. I like open, I like spec, and everything in between.

As for your issues... Something I cannot recommend enough is to follow Coach Ep's recommendation. Go to Mid-Ohio for one of the less important events such as the SCCA Majors(or rather, "Super Tour" as it will be known next year). Take a closer look at the Runoffs(all of them since 2009 are viewable on-demand on the SCCA website).

If your issue is that things are too spec, grassroots racing has a lot of interesting and very open classes. Prototype 1 and 2 in particular, but other classes are quite the hotbed of variety in spec as well - the Production, Touring, and GT classes in particular are all wonderfully diverse with a lot of open specs to work in. While there are a lot of spec classes as well, the variety of machinery and creative approaches in most classes is a wonderful thing to behold - particularly in person.

Yeah, the SCCA doesn't have an anything goes class the way NASA does(they really should, though - that'd be a GREAT thing to see at the Runoffs!), but what it has is really worth the look.

Put simply, if that stuff can't rekindle your fire, you truly are burned out on racing and it's time to find another thing to enjoy.

Spend 2017 going to every grassroots event you can at Mid-Ohio, and see if any of it lights that fire you used to have. They're generally $10 a pop - you won't be out a whole lot of money for trying.

These events can be a really eye-opening experience - My viewpoints of racing have changed a LOT since I started visiting the Majors race at Mid-Ohio each year, and I'm going to miss it next year after I move(I sadly won't be in range of any Super Tour event).
FF: I often find your posts overly annoying to read - not this one. I'm sure what I said above in response to Chernaudi goes for you too!

When and to where are you moving? You might be (relatively) close to VIR which has a SCCA Super Tour date scheduled for late April I believe.
Old 7 Nov 2016, 18:17 (Ref:3686272)   #37
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
I'm not even 30 years old, and I've felt that way the past 5 or 6 years at least, pretty much across all motorsports.
This is the key. You're almost 30 and felt like this for 5 or 6 years. A big change in personality and interests is normal in your early to mid 20s. By 30 you won't like the same things you did at 20. At 30 you'll be a very different person. Arguable the change you go through in your early 20s is the biggest change you'll go through in your whole life.

Look at your interests at 20 and your interests at 30 and you'll see vast differences. Take me as an example - 22 to 25 I played LOTS of games, especially racing sims - iRacing and GPL. I listened to rock music and watched Futurama and Family Guy a lot. Now I'm 30 I've lost interest in racing sims. I do play some games but not as much as before. I watch very little TV and I listen to blues music now. I've moved from watching F1, IndyCar and NASCAR to watching ELMS, WEC, Blancpain and Creventic Series.

You don't have to keep watching racing. If you don't enjoy it, then don't watch it, or find another series you prefer. If you don't enjoy any of it, then don't force yourself to watch it just because you used to. You're not the same person now that you were 10 years ago. Don't fight that - accept it and find something you do enjoy.

I mean christ, I went from playing Call of Duty 4 many years ago, to never playing the series again and spending my time making cardboard/paper spaceships, because I've now found an interest in space travel and found nobody makes decent (and affordable and up to date) diecasts of them, and I wanted a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket sitting on my desk. From that, I've found I can't be interested in space travel without knowing more, so I've started an Engineering degree (turns out I don't like maths, but I'm still trying!). 10 years ago I was playing CoD online. Now I'm doing engineering and watching rocket launches.

This change is normal. Embrace it.
Old 7 Nov 2016, 20:33 (Ref:3686302)   #38
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
I'm sure what I said above in response to Chernaudi goes for you too!
It does for everyone. Not just due to the intent of the person behind the keyboard doing the writing, either.

Quote:
When and to where are you moving? You might be (relatively) close to VIR which has a SCCA Super Tour date scheduled for late April I believe.
Charlotte, NC, sometime around April when the team's facility is ready. (maybe earlier if they decide to employ me early to get extra muscle on the move-in process)

I'll be closer to VIR than I am now(just over 8 hours away now), but still about an hour 15 further than I am from Mid-Ohio now.

We'll probably be too busy getting settled in for me to make it there.
Old 7 Nov 2016, 20:57 (Ref:3686308)   #39
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Just watch the Nitro fumes. I forgot
A little eye burn ?
Old 7 Nov 2016, 21:21 (Ref:3686312)   #40
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
It does for everyone. Not just due to the intent of the person behind the keyboard doing the writing, either.

Charlotte, NC, sometime around April when the team's facility is ready. (maybe earlier if they decide to employ me early to get extra muscle on the move-in process)

I'll be closer to VIR than I am now(just over 8 hours away now), but still about an hour 15 further than I am from Mid-Ohio now.

We'll probably be too busy getting settled in for me to make it there.
Too bad, VIR is a great race track, but there'll be other events. Good luck on the move.
Old 7 Nov 2016, 22:06 (Ref:3686324)   #41
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Swinger View Post
Strangely enough, I've started watching things like Pro Pulling.
When I first read this my mind saw... Pro Plumbing! Now that might be an interesting sport! But we could argue about things such as the spirit of the rules when it comes to "local code" violations plus remembering the good old days of copper and cast iron vs. modern PVC and PEX piping.

Richard
Old 7 Nov 2016, 23:56 (Ref:3686348)   #42
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post
A little eye burn ?
Eyes, nose and throat burn for the whole family. Good times.
Old 8 Nov 2016, 07:46 (Ref:3686434)   #43
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It is fascinating reading the comments on this thread.

So many fans are utterly single minded when it comes to racing, as if watching another series is actually getting "out there", or going to another track!

I do wonder why more fans don't go and watch something out of the ordinary.

It is clear that most of you have a passion for motorsport, you wouldn't be here or watch sports cars if you didn't.

But it is also clear that a lot of big series are stale dominated by one team or car, low in numbers, too safe, too clinical. And that is switching off some fans.

That happened to me when I was about 25, so I went from one extreme to the other, started at the bottom and made myself go and watch anything, some of it was rubbish, but some of it hooked me in. SO now I am in the position where most weekends if I can be arsed to drive I can probably think of 10 or more things to attend, all different disciplines. Some international, some local, some club, some big.

I never understand why more fans don't do this, if you do, and nothing comes close to watching a 6 hour endurance race, or an F1 GP or NASCAR race then fair play to you. You can rightly feel miffed and give it up.

But don't give up on motorsport until you have watched everything there is to offer. If you do, you are simply not doing yourself or racing as a whole justice. And are perhaps a little narrow minded sorry to say.
Old 8 Nov 2016, 15:27 (Ref:3686533)   #44
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My word I entirely agree with a post by Chunder! - actually I had a similar thing a few years ago - got totally fed up of the over-regulation of the sport but a big shake up in the rules hooked me back in.

I do agree though that the sport is far too clinical and corporate at the moment. Needs to re-discover its wild side.
Old 8 Nov 2016, 15:38 (Ref:3686536)   #45
Richard C
Veteran

Group hug?

Richard
Old 8 Nov 2016, 16:14 (Ref:3686541)   #46
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
I know it isn't easy, but the way that BoP has been handled this year, particularly in GTE, just hasn't been very good. BoP in general though, has been a bit of a black eye on the sport. Hopefully it won't be as bad with IMSA going forward, given one set of rules in the top class. LM was a bit of a joke with GTE.
Old 8 Nov 2016, 21:06 (Ref:3686605)   #47
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins View Post
My word I entirely agree with a post by Chunder! - actually I had a similar thing a few years ago - got totally fed up of the over-regulation of the sport but a big shake up in the rules hooked me back in.

I do agree though that the sport is far too clinical and corporate at the moment. Needs to re-discover its wild side.
What chunder says is really true. Having been a BARC member with my father when I was in my teens, school and early work days got in the way. I got back 'into' motor sport as a spectator in the early to mid 80's after another period of study which took up all of my spare time (pretty much) for 2 years. But it was in a location where I was persuaded to go and watch some F1 BRISCA at Belle Vue. I ended up going several times and thought it was sensational. When I returned home I started going to a circuit in the UK virtually every weekend, literally watching anything from from FF1600 through to Wendy Wools Special Saloons (loved those!) and then on to rallycross, touring cars and F3 which drew me in very quickly. I even watched a bit of F1. In 1985 I went to my first big sportscar race at Brands Hatch and I was totally hooked. Marriage, children and responsibilities put paid to my weekly outings and these days it's just Silverstone WEC and Le Mans. But yes, even though they remain my passion, I really ought to get out more..... (...and I'd love to see BRISCA in the 'flesh' again!).
Old 8 Nov 2016, 23:09 (Ref:3686632)   #48
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Overall, motorsports needs to get back to it's feral/wild side and get out there a bit. Another thing that I liked about the LMP900 era was the variety of designs and each car looked different.

Right now, it's a bit stale because of regulatory and corporate interference.

Last edited by chernaudi; 8 Nov 2016 at 23:19.
Old 8 Nov 2016, 23:18 (Ref:3686634)   #49
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Overall, motorsports needs to get back to it's feral/wild side and get out there a bit. Another thing that I liked about the LMP900 era was the variety of designs and each car looked different.
Another reason to visit some grassroots events to find out if your spark has truly died. Few forms of racing have greater variety than the club level.
Old 9 Nov 2016, 00:58 (Ref:3686651)   #50
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Another reason to visit some grassroots events to find out if your spark has truly died. Few forms of racing have greater variety than the club level.
This.

Especially if your local track has a "run what ya brung" night like Kalamazoo's "Call of the Wild."
Closed Thread