Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One > Predictions Contest & Fun

View Poll Results: Do you want a F1 Fantasy Championship ?
Absolutely. I would love to run my fantasy team and blow away the opposition ! 18 60.00%
Can't be bothered to try it 12 40.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 22 Nov 2006, 21:44 (Ref:1772578)   #26
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We will definitely have predictions...
Old 22 Nov 2006, 21:45 (Ref:1772579)   #27
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you having both, why the poll?

Poll makes it look its either predictions or fantasy.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 21:47 (Ref:1772581)   #28
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought the poll is to find out whether or not there is enough interest to bother running a fantasy Championship. I didnt think this is a straight contest between having a predictions competition or a fantasy leauge. If however that is what this is, forget the fantasy leauge and stick to the predictions competition. IMO.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 21:48 (Ref:1772582)   #29
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No, all the poll is asking is "do you want a fantasy championship"?

At no point does it mention having this over a predictions comp.

Predictions is established and will not be moved, as I'd have thought the original thread topic may have suggested. If it doesn't, then I'll say now that we will definitely have a predictions comp, come what may.

So relax hakkiman.

We can't rely on this supposed fantasy league as we have not many details of how it will work or many ideas and it may not get the support. The poll will help determine this.

At the moment I'm not sure. Can you make an F1 fantasy league work well enough? Hence we need suggestions. Climb has got the ball rolling, so what do the rest of you suggest?

Last edited by Knowlesy; 22 Nov 2006 at 21:51.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 21:50 (Ref:1772584)   #30
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am relaxed. Helps if I sat and read the posts

If possible, can you change my vote.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 22:00 (Ref:1772591)   #31
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
At the moment I'm not sure. Can you make an F1 fantasy league work well enough? Hence we need suggestions. Climb has got the ball rolling, so what do the rest of you suggest?
Use the Champcar formula.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 22:04 (Ref:1772594)   #32
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

What...so pick three drivers per team?

That could work.

Would it have to be three. Could it not be, say, four to give more variety or would that be too complex?
Old 22 Nov 2006, 22:17 (Ref:1772604)   #33
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
I dont see any reason why you coudnt have 4, indeed 4 could be better. Providing of course we get more entries for this competition than the Champcar competition because of course if you have 4 drivers to choose from there are more combinations for people to choose from.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 22:17 (Ref:1772605)   #34
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think we should wait to see how many would enter in the competition, and if there are enough, discuss the rules...

[EDIT]
...and if we decide to make it, we will make a competition with rules unique to the F1 fantasy forum. If we make it.

Last edited by Bononi; 22 Nov 2006 at 22:20.
Old 23 Nov 2006, 12:58 (Ref:1773191)   #35
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Perhaps if the poll was moved to the main forum we would have a better indication as to what people think regarding the fantasy leauge game? Im not suggesting moving this thread, but perhaps the poll?
Old 23 Nov 2006, 17:43 (Ref:1773389)   #36
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think just a prediction competition alone is fine although it needs a bit of spicing up for sure. I like the predictions because its easy to enter, barely takes 3 seconds to enter a round and that way it gets a lot of people involved. With a fantasy league you'll get a lot of people initially but i think enthusiasm may wane away a bit. So IMO just the predictions competition should be fine although tweaked a bit.

As for ideas for the prediction comp. Well heres my 2 cents worth. Maybe you can have co-effcients for each team based on pre-season and previous season performances. So the strongest team can have the lowest co-effcients and the weakest teams the highest. Have the same scoring system as before....ie 2 and 1 point (or 0.5 and 1) respectively. However, you multiply the score by the coeffcient that way you get more rewards for picking STR's and Super Aguri's for points. You can change the coeffcients every 2 or 3 races based on performance increases.
Now i understand that this will require a hell of a lot of calculations but if 2 or 3 guys run it together then it could work....just about....

I know that this idea does have a few flaws. For one, the ridgitity of the f1 results....lets face it the guys at the back arent going to score to many points so despite high rewards, picking them would be useless most of the time. However you get my general idea...higher rewards for unlikely results...so maybe we can work along those lines and iron out the details....or maybe its a totally crap idea
Old 23 Nov 2006, 19:47 (Ref:1773459)   #37
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan
I think just a prediction competition alone is fine although it needs a bit of spicing up for sure. I like the predictions because its easy to enter, barely takes 3 seconds to enter a round and that way it gets a lot of people involved. With a fantasy league you'll get a lot of people initially but i think enthusiasm may wane away a bit. So IMO just the predictions competition should be fine although tweaked a bit.
Thats the thing though, with a fantasy leauge once you have your team setup if you choose to do so you dont have to change your team. The line up that you have will be entered automatically for each round of the Championship, unlike the predictions competition where you have to remember to place your entry for each round.
Old 23 Nov 2006, 19:51 (Ref:1773463)   #38
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Yes, which is good for lazy people like me who never change lineups and suchlike.

ralf fan, it is good to see some creative thinking. But my worry with your system would be someone winning the title because they filled the top wight with lower teams every race and got some fluke results.

And that would be upsetting.
Old 23 Nov 2006, 20:21 (Ref:1773485)   #39
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
I take it Hakkimans vote isnt going to be changed as he requested?
Old 23 Nov 2006, 20:28 (Ref:1773490)   #40
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Knowlesy i take your point but that is unlikely to happen. In all honesty i cant see SA or STR's scoring in more than 2 races so the gain in points would be fairly minimal. The difference in coeffcients wouldnt be big. For eg based on 2006 the coeffcients would be

Ferrari, Renault, Mclaren, Honda - coeffcient = 1 (always likely to score points) (So if you picked Massa to win the Brazilian GP your score for that position would be 2 X 1 = 2 points ...just like normal)

RBR, Toyota, Williams, BMW - coeffcient = 1.5 (in with a shout of points in most races but you get a bit of a gain for picking them. a maximum of 3 points available)

STR, MF1, SA - coeffcient = 3 (you triple your score for each position a maximum of 6 points (2X3) available per position but would take massive luck to achieve)

So it would be impossible to win the competiton by picking all eight to be the suprise teams. I mean how likely is it that more than one STR etc will get in the points in any given round.

The coeffcients would add an element of suprise....just like a rain effected race with an unlikely winner....but is unlikely to have any bearing on the outcome of a championship.
Old 23 Nov 2006, 21:17 (Ref:1773507)   #41
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Fair enough. Points taken.

Would everyone understand the system though? Simplicity is the key really.
Old 23 Nov 2006, 21:34 (Ref:1773530)   #42
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
If people understand the system in the Champcar fantasy leauge and the Aussie V8s fantasy leauge I see no real reason why people woudnt understand the system in the F1 fantasy leauge. Do you?
Old 23 Nov 2006, 21:44 (Ref:1773536)   #43
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

No I don't.

But then, I am talking about ralfs proposed predictions system here and not the fantasy league.
Old 23 Nov 2006, 21:45 (Ref:1773537)   #44
Paulc
Rookie

Paulc has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstallard
Bring back slicks and ban refuelling!

and no tyre warmers
Old 23 Nov 2006, 21:50 (Ref:1773549)   #45
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Noted.
Old 24 Nov 2006, 15:55 (Ref:1774146)   #46
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i like the idea of a fantasy league
one thought so it doesnt just turn into a who do you think will win every week, maybe we can incorporate the points system mentioned earlier but only allow each participant to only select any given driver only once during the course of the season.
so if you pick Massa for the OZ GP for example, who would then score points for his placement in various catagories for that event, and then you would no longer be able to pick Massa for any other event that year.
thus its not always about picking the winner, but rather spreading out you picks in order maxamize points at each event.

too complicated?
Old 24 Nov 2006, 16:16 (Ref:1774156)   #47
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Keep throwing ideas and voting...
Old 24 Nov 2006, 16:30 (Ref:1774170)   #48
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Would everyone understand the system though? Simplicity is the key really.
quite right...... multiplication can be hard at times......
Old 24 Nov 2006, 17:37 (Ref:1774225)   #49
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Well we can understand it of course. However, some people found the previous points system hard to comprehend, so god knows what would happen if it got more complicated!
Old 25 Nov 2006, 02:32 (Ref:1774478)   #50
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To be honest I was looking forward to entering the predictions competitions for 2007, I think a Fantasy Championship may over-complicate things in this forum too much.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Closed Thread