Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 10 Apr 2019, 17:07 (Ref:3896624)   #6501
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobec View Post
I guess I should again start watching the Toyota LMP1 show while it lasts, because things can get a lot worse.

And that all-electric onboard lap posted several days ago - I mean wow, I would get more excitement from driving a go-kart. I understand it't the Bugatti circuit, but still. Who prefers FE over F1?
I prefer FE over F1. Although I also prefer WEC, IMSA, Blancpain, VLN, BTCC, ELMS and a lot more over FE.

F1 brings almost nothing to the table. FE is at least different. Not particularly great, but entertaining at times.
Old 10 Apr 2019, 17:15 (Ref:3896628)   #6502
ApexTurtle
Racer

United States
ApexTurtle is a back marker
I view FE as glorified karting races with some pretty decent talent. Then it's pretty fun
Old 10 Apr 2019, 17:19 (Ref:3896629)   #6503
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexTurtle View Post
I view FE as glorified karting races with some pretty decent talent. Then it's pretty fun
I personally like it because it's different. I don't take it seriously, but the tracks can be fun and different. I prefer watching FE over F1 at Barcelona or Shanghai, put it that way. It's just different.
Old 10 Apr 2019, 17:31 (Ref:3896631)   #6504
bobec
Racer

bobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I prefer FE over F1. Although I also prefer WEC, IMSA, Blancpain, VLN, BTCC, ELMS and a lot more over FE.

F1 brings almost nothing to the table. FE is at least different. Not particularly great, but entertaining at times.

Well, it seems you just don't care much for F1. that's why. But let me tell you this - they still have unique car designs, and I would never enjoy a spec series over it. Also they have some pretty solid plans for the future, namely a pretty balanced combination between aero and ground effects. I just really hope the WEC doesn't become a BoP-ed spec series, or at least not LM. I also wouldn't be able to enjoy all-electric prototypes. I think it would really be the end of racing for me when you combine all those.
Old 10 Apr 2019, 18:46 (Ref:3896650)   #6505
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I'm kinda copying and pasting this from another forum I post on because, thinking about it, my discussion with someone else on the matter does bring up maybe a valid point.

"If that's the case (having production hyper cars in LMP1), why even call the cars prototypes? I just think that the ACO are desperate for factory team money in the top class, and they're not being very caring how they get it as long as they get it. IMO, that kind of amorality may kill the class before it even gets off the ground.

And if LMP1s are due to get slowed to 3:30 around Le Mans, then LMP2 as a knock on will probably be slowed to 3:45 around LM. 3:45 is already borderline GTE speeds.

So I have to ask this? If the ACO want modified production based hypercars in LMP1, why not just take GTE pro, give them carbon brakes, 700-800hp, and more aggressive aero?"

One, is that what the ACO wants? Two, is that what the ACO may end up with? And three, is that what the teams and us fans want?

I know that us fans often don't like change, but it's guaranteed in life, just like death and taxes. We still don't have to agree with it, however.

I do feel like from my POV maybe quoting some lyrics from the song "Take a Hint" that was featured on an episode of Victorious back in the day. I know that quoting song lyrics from a song featured on an old-ish, kinda girly, family friendly teen sitcom is probably nightmare fuel for some on here, but, so too it seems, are these LMP1 proposals.
Old 10 Apr 2019, 20:09 (Ref:3896666)   #6506
bobec
Racer

bobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
"If that's the case (having production hyper cars in LMP1), why even call the cars prototypes? I just think that the ACO are desperate for factory team money in the top class, and they're not being very caring how they get it as long as they get it. IMO, that kind of amorality may kill the class before it even gets off the ground.

And if LMP1s are due to get slowed to 3:30 around Le Mans, then LMP2 as a knock on will probably be slowed to 3:45 around LM. 3:45 is already borderline GTE speeds.

So I have to ask this? If the ACO want modified production based hypercars in LMP1, why not just take GTE pro, give them carbon brakes, 700-800hp, and more aggressive aero?

Even that would feel a lot more organic. If it comes to that, I say have the two GTE classes (PRO and AM) and have the manufacturers from the suped up GTE class fight the privateers from LMP2 for the win. Might as well.
Old 10 Apr 2019, 20:45 (Ref:3896678)   #6507
ApexTurtle
Racer

United States
ApexTurtle is a back marker
The current privateer cars will have to be massively slowed down too. I wonder how they will do that.
Old 10 Apr 2019, 21:30 (Ref:3896688)   #6508
bobec
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexTurtle View Post
The current privateer cars will have to be massively slowed down too. I wonder how they will do that.
I think horsepower reductions would be the easiest way. I wonder how much the GTEs can get sped up. Can they make a new GT1 class out of them? Give them really good tires too.
Old 10 Apr 2019, 23:36 (Ref:3896702)   #6509
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I say have the two GTE classes (PRO and AM) and have the manufacturers from the suped up GTE class fight the privateers from LMP2 for the win. Might as well.
Realistically, how many GTE cars are availabe? I am talking about privateer svailabe? Maybe things would change if that class moved up the marquee, but as it is only Porsche and Ferrari are available (I believe), and Ford is going away. As things are, there is not a lot to base things on, is there?
Old 11 Apr 2019, 00:46 (Ref:3896708)   #6510
bobec
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Realistically, how many GTE cars are availabe? I am talking about privateer svailabe? Maybe things would change if that class moved up the marquee, but as it is only Porsche and Ferrari are available (I believe), and Ford is going away. As things are, there is not a lot to base things on, is there?
None of this is realistic, it's just thinking out loud. I believe Aston Martin is also available for the privateers, while Ford and BMW are factory efforts. The GTE classes have their own problems. It would require some work to get more teams and hopefully more manufacturers (and offerings for AM).

My thinking was to have a separate, third class based on GTE cars where they would be a lot faster, and manufacturers can come in and compete for the overall win using cars based on their road cars, sort of like LMGT1. They get to spend their money, but they are bound by the regulations in what they can have or not have on the car (but no spec parts) . It should still be a lot cheaper than LMP1-H.

Competing against them would be private, independent teams who will have freer regulations and be able to develop prototypes similar to LMP2 in performance (which will still be regulated to ensure they don't become impossibly fast for the other, GTE-based class). This class won't be open to manufacturers with big money. Obviously something would have to be decided about the engine.

I suppose this is very much influenced by an idea Mosley had a few years ago for controlling costs in F1 - choose a cost cap and operate within freer technical regulations, or spend all you want but work within stricter technical limits. I think this concept has no place in F1 as there are no separate classes there, but maybe it could work here if you balance everything right. Manufacturers won't have to spend those crazy budgets anymore, and will be able to focus on cars that will resemble their production cars. Privateers will have the chance to fight for the win because of the greater technical opportunities (which may actually necessitate some sort of R&D cap because this may work only if they do have smaller budgets).
Old 11 Apr 2019, 01:47 (Ref:3896712)   #6511
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I think horsepower reductions would be the easiest way..
Massive, absurd, Group C phase out levels of ballast first make more sense. As they are they're less powerful than the new cars will be and weigh some 300kg+ less.
Old 11 Apr 2019, 02:08 (Ref:3896715)   #6512
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Production Requirement that 20 cars be built within 2 years of car's race debut... what happens if 20 cars are not built? Retroactive Disqualification?
Oh I almost forgot about this. This is almost exactly the rule that killed GT1 the first time. Prior to the '97 season you had to properly sell at least one car beforehand. The CLK-GTR didn't even have a prototype road car for most of its racing career, a fact that angered BMW enough for them to leave FIA GT and switch to LMP. The full minimum production wasn't finished until after both the category and championship ceased to exist. I'm not sure if the CLK-LM and Bitter (the Lotus with the Viper V10) were ever actually legal in the end...
Old 11 Apr 2019, 02:53 (Ref:3896718)   #6513
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
I think legalities were the least of the Bitters problems lol ‘‘twas a good idea putting a Viper motor in a Lotus Elise GT1 chassis. Well good in theory..
Old 11 Apr 2019, 08:39 (Ref:3896749)   #6514
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The speculation in this thread is wild.

I just hope calm heads prevail and we don't end up with a rule set that caters to the very short term whims and wishes of a small group of manufacturers who will disappear as soon as their 'activation' (puke) activities are complete.

And please don't shaft the privateers again.
Old 11 Apr 2019, 10:13 (Ref:3896787)   #6515
bobec
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
The speculation in this thread is wild.

I just hope calm heads prevail and we don't end up with a rule set that caters to the very short term whims and wishes of a small group of manufacturers who will disappear as soon as their 'activation' (puke) activities are complete.

And please don't shaft the privateers again.
I feel they have in a way turned away some very important manufacturers (some who used to compete, others potential), and they have also been shafting the privateers, as you say. So I think they no longer have many options. They will take whatever is available and hence will agree to what is demanded of them. That for me is the most likely scenario. Chances are, anything else will really hurt for the short run.
Old 11 Apr 2019, 13:52 (Ref:3896823)   #6516
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
IMO, that's been the problem with the ACO for about the past decade, they've thought only of the short term. LMP900 lasted for 6 years, first gen LMP1 for 5 years. You don't get much stability IMO if you keep trying to change the rules every 3 years or so, which is how IMO this mess kinda started as well as the ACO just being overly ambitious.
Old 11 Apr 2019, 15:03 (Ref:3896828)   #6517
pablocomics
Racer

Spain
Madrid
pablocomics should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dauer built about 13-15 cars, they just need 12 more and we could see a second victory for the Dauer 962..... That was a supercar.

Back to the future IV. Ok, it was silly, but someone could do it with a LMP2 chassis with the current new-new-new today's rules
Old 11 Apr 2019, 17:22 (Ref:3896843)   #6518
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Well, it seems you just don't care much for F1. that's why. But let me tell you this - they still have unique car designs, and I would never enjoy a spec series over it. Also they have some pretty solid plans for the future, namely a pretty balanced combination between aero and ground effects. I just really hope the WEC doesn't become a BoP-ed spec series, or at least not LM. I also wouldn't be able to enjoy all-electric prototypes. I think it would really be the end of racing for me when you combine all those.
Spent 20 years watch it. I care for it plenty, but in terms of entertainment, I rank it pretty low.
Old 11 Apr 2019, 18:04 (Ref:3896853)   #6519
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ford is considering outfitting the GT GTE to fit in the hypercar regs

https://www.autosport.com/wec/news/1...-entry-with-gt
Old 11 Apr 2019, 18:34 (Ref:3896861)   #6520
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Ford is considering outfitting the GT GTE to fit in the hypercar regs

https://www.autosport.com/wec/news/1...-entry-with-gt
Finally, the right class for the car.
Old 11 Apr 2019, 18:34 (Ref:3896862)   #6521
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Some interesting commets from Vasselon:

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/n...otype-hypercar

Quote:
Toyota technical director Pascal Vasselon is unhappy about BoP and the “expensive” route that the WEC has taken
Old 11 Apr 2019, 18:38 (Ref:3896864)   #6522
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
One of the arguments for BoP is it keeps costs down. If you have high budgets and BoP, then you're removing one of the major advantages of having BoP.
Old 11 Apr 2019, 18:39 (Ref:3896865)   #6523
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
“It is absolutely not what we are looking for, it's very sad that Le Mans, in the end, will be won on Balance of Performance but it looks like a condition at the moment to [attract] competitors.”

YES.

YES.

YES.

I applaud him for being honest, I salute Toyota.

Anyway 2021-2024 are already lost, but it's only six years until LM 2025 when all of this nonsensical garbage should (hopefully) be washed away... when you think about it that way, it's only long away as 2013 is. And before that we still have 2020 and 2021 to comfort us even a little bit

Last edited by Deleted; 11 Apr 2019 at 18:46.
Old 11 Apr 2019, 19:22 (Ref:3896875)   #6524
bobec
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
IMO, that's been the problem with the ACO for about the past decade, they've thought only of the short term. LMP900 lasted for 6 years, first gen LMP1 for 5 years. You don't get much stability IMO if you keep trying to change the rules every 3 years or so, which is how IMO this mess kinda started as well as the ACO just being overly ambitious.
I also really hated the constant tweaking of EoT on a race by race basis. In my crazy dream of LMGT1 vs LMP2, there will be none of that. The two concepts would be carefully prepared before implemented and only potential performance would be balanced, not the actual performance that teams develop, so as not to punish those who do well in development.

But in the real world, I think will be the best (at least for the sake of LM's reputation) if the ACO would drop all the silly ideas and bite the bullet. Let it sting, but keep it real, instead of trying to hold on to what they used to have at all costs. They need to go through a catharsis.
Old 11 Apr 2019, 19:33 (Ref:3896878)   #6525
bobec
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Spent 20 years watch it. I care for it plenty, but in terms of entertainment, I rank it pretty low.
Well I don't blame you. 20 years ago and several after was one of the golden eras of F1. I didn't have the chance to watch it, but I have seen recording of a lot of those races, and I liked it better than following the current season (that's mostly 2008-2013).

But I still think they are doing better now, as of the past few years at least. And I think they are on to something with the India concept they are planning to implement in 2021. I've been commenting (though not here, as I'm not very active in the F1 forums at this site) since 2013 that they absolutely should bring back ground effects.

FE is whatever to me. Like you and others have said, it's OK to watch, but you shouldn't be taking it too seriously. Maybe it would be good entertainment if you catch a glimpse.

But I believe both LM (and supporting series) and F1 are very serious, and shouldn't be just entertainment. It's where the best of the best come and race hard. It's where we see insane tech development. For some reason, while hybrid is fine, I don't think full electric would do it for me. Maybe because there is also this aspect of keeping a connection with the historical roots of the series.