Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 23 Jan 2010, 20:40 (Ref:2618239)   #26
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
fantastic thread, Atle has raised some very good and valid points. Coming to the whole point of getting a break, i did my ARDS last year and got my national B race license and was told by the instructors that I was a bit of a natural, pretty quick, very consistent and smooth and that i could go a very long way.
But like so many people, i dont have enough money to even get started, let alone move up the ladder. Its quite frankly ****, at the moment im in uni doing part time work as a photographer/journo and im hoping one day it will all culminate and ill end up racing somewhere, somehow.
Cracking post though Atle, we need more people like you in motorsport to inspire us, hopefully one day things will change. So we have more people racing and getting the chances they deserve in motorsport, particularly the one's with talent and not the Rich and not very talented clot's which do cloud motorsport unfortunately.
Old 23 Jan 2010, 21:36 (Ref:2618264)   #27
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice View Post
fantastic thread, Atle has raised some very good and valid points. Coming to the whole point of getting a break, i did my ARDS last year and got my national B race license and was told by the instructors that I was a bit of a natural, pretty quick, very consistent and smooth and that i could go a very long way.
But like so many people, i dont have enough money to even get started, let alone move up the ladder. Its quite frankly ****, at the moment im in uni doing part time work as a photographer/journo and im hoping one day it will all culminate and ill end up racing somewhere, somehow.
Cracking post though Atle, we need more people like you in motorsport to inspire us, hopefully one day things will change. So we have more people racing and getting the chances they deserve in motorsport, particularly the one's with talent and not the Rich and not very talented clot's which do cloud motorsport unfortunately.
You know I was in exactly your same shoes at one point and I understand completely. I came from a non motorsport family, did not have any family money, did not have any business connections, nor any money or wealth of my own. Talk about being completely on the outside looking in.

It took a little bit to accept I couldn't fly off to the UK to do Formula Ford as I couldn't even buy a plane ticket, much less afford gas to make it to work everyday. So I got my education, got to work after university, did tons of research and came up with a plan. I was finally able to make the break into full time motorsports and driving a few years ago. And I definitely took the unconventional approach as well.

So I am unapologetic about being a bit older now, nor do I worry what people think. You do what you can, when you can and do the best with the opportunities you create for yourself. And what I found as well is don't be afraid to ask for help or a break. Some people will slam the door in your face, but there have been a number of people that gave me a chance just because I asked for it and had the enthusiasm for it.