Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Mar 2011, 17:49 (Ref:2844591)   #1
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Sergio Perez. Mexico's greatest driver since Pedro Rodriguez?

Not that I want to get too carried away by his Thursday testing form but Perez has been a class act all the way through to F1.

He could so easily have been British F3 and GP2 champion by now if he'd had a bit more good fortune (and kept out of other people's accidents..).

There haven't been a great many top line Mexican's since the early 70's but could Sergio be the first Mexican to win a GP since Pedro?
Old 12 Mar 2011, 18:14 (Ref:2844601)   #2
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He won't even be the best of his generation.
Old 13 Mar 2011, 00:11 (Ref:2844755)   #3
Kai
Racer

United States
San Francisco
Kai has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I have high hopes for both him and Guttierrez.
Old 13 Mar 2011, 00:14 (Ref:2844756)   #4
cmotd
Racer

Australia
cmotd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vettel and Sutil were both impressed by his lap times in testing recently, apart from that I don't know much about him
Old 13 Mar 2011, 00:19 (Ref:2844758)   #5
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always liked Josele Garza and wished he had got that Minardi drive in 88 - he was very underrated.
Old 13 Mar 2011, 06:14 (Ref:2844809)   #6
Peralta
Veteran

Mexico
Guadalajara Jalisco
Peralta is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Not that I want to get too carried away by his Thursday testing form but Perez has been a class act all the way through to F1.

He could so easily have been British F3 and GP2 champion by now if he'd had a bit more good fortune (and kept out of other people's accidents..).

There haven't been a great many top line Mexican's since the early 70's but could Sergio be the first Mexican to win a GP since Pedro?
It would have been hard for him to win the British F3 Championship with T-Sport giving the fact that it is a midfield team and didn't have a teammate to help develop the car but despite all that, he did manage to lead it halfway. He clearly should have been champion in GP2 if hadn't been for a disqualification after winning and been taken out by other drivers however he did to make some silly errors most likely caused by pressure to catch up to Maldonado. I do think he was faster than all of them last year and showed the way at Monaco with Maldonado at his tail.

F1 is another story and time will tell if he will succeed. He has a good team for his learning years but I am sure he will be the equal of Kobayashi if not quicker. In Mexico we think Gutierrez is even quicker but I have a soft heart for Checo simply because he is from my hometown. Hopefully Mexico will have two race winners in the future.
Old 13 Mar 2011, 14:15 (Ref:2844963)   #7
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
T-Sport is not a midfield British F3 team. Sergio was leading the points by 32 after Monza, where he won both races from 14th on the grid. I think 2008 was a vintage year for BF3, so to have done as well as he did against the might of Red Bull and Carlin, who found a tweak for their three cars in the last third of the season, was very impressive.
Old 13 Mar 2011, 15:23 (Ref:2845000)   #8
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post

Some said here, and I agree, that F1 is completely different thing from anything before, so drivers that did well in lower categories can be nothing in F1... for now it's all we can think of.
Old 13 Mar 2011, 17:10 (Ref:2845065)   #9
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I had deliberately not mentioned Gutierrez as Perez is sort of one generation above him, but he is also looking a strong F1 potential.

Perez will surely have to deliver pretty quickly though, as Esteban is right behind him!

I am sure the aim is for Telmex to have both of them in F1 long term, but there may only be enough room for one of them?

It's not very often that a driver who is quick in both F3 and the next level up is slow in F1. I know that beinjg in the right car/team at the right time is paramount these days but I can't think of many who disappointed at the top having showed strongly below that (stefano Modena is a prime example) but that will be going a fair way OT!!!
Old 13 Mar 2011, 17:50 (Ref:2845087)   #10
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Telmex are for Mexican drivers the same as Red Bull are for pretty much anyone. They start their drivers very young, nut they have to keep delivering otherwise they get dropped. Salvador Duran is the prime example.

Perez was plucked from Brazil at a ridiculously young age, 14 or 15, and dropped in Europe to find his feet and prove his ability. As a result he has an inner steel that will be pretty useful this year.
Old 13 Mar 2011, 21:12 (Ref:2845171)   #11
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not entirely sold on PĂ©rez, but I will say this about him: he's gotten better at every harder level of racing. His record in his earliest lower level series are pathetic, but as he got up to British F3 and GP2, he started to deliver. On the one hand, you wonder how good he really is because he's perfectly capable of producing a ****ter of a season, but on the other hand, seeing him raise his game to exceed his past form in an even more challenging series really shows a lot of promise from him. I think he'll have an up-and-down season for Sauber, but in time, he could be a contender if only because he's always gotten better in time.

I do think that both he and Maldonado belong, though, and I'm glad to see both get the shot (even if some may make Maldonado the scapegoat for who he replaced).
Old 13 Mar 2011, 21:33 (Ref:2845190)   #12
Peralta
Veteran

Mexico
Guadalajara Jalisco
Peralta is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post
I'm not entirely sold on PĂ©rez, but I will say this about him: he's gotten better at every harder level of racing. His record in his earliest lower level series are pathetic, but as he got up to British F3 and GP2, he started to deliver. On the one hand, you wonder how good he really is because he's perfectly capable of producing a ****ter of a season, but on the other hand, seeing him raise his game to exceed his past form in an even more challenging series really shows a lot of promise from him. I think he'll have an up-and-down season for Sauber, but in time, he could be a contender if only because he's always gotten better in time.

I do think that both he and Maldonado belong, though, and I'm glad to see both get the shot (even if some may make Maldonado the scapegoat for who he replaced).
That is entirely true about his earlier career in Formula BMW but I think his heart at the time was not in racing but his first passion which was futbol and probably the fact that he was thrown in the deepens all alone in aforeign country at such a young age. Basically his father who managed Adeian Fernandez and was a racer himself wants his kids in racing. We may be better for it. Time will tell.

One poster in a different site said either Red Bull are sand bagging, the Sauber is a very quick car or Perez may be the next Senna.
Old 13 Mar 2011, 22:17 (Ref:2845226)   #13
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralta View Post
...or Perez may be the next Senna.

Oh yeah, specially when we remember Senna's career in lower categories.
Old 13 Mar 2011, 22:21 (Ref:2845229)   #14
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Perez the fella who did that amazing comeback drive in BF3 a few years back? If so then he has got something special for sure.
Old 13 Mar 2011, 22:25 (Ref:2845231)   #15
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Perez may well be Mexico's greatest driver since Pedro, but that's more due to a lack of competition...

Sauber showing well in testing? Never seen that before...
Old 13 Mar 2011, 22:37 (Ref:2845238)   #16
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The good thing about comparing drivers to Senna is that if the driver doesn't succeed, you can just go back and say you meant Bruno.
Old 13 Mar 2011, 23:50 (Ref:2845270)   #17
Peralta
Veteran

Mexico
Guadalajara Jalisco
Peralta is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani View Post
Is Perez the fella who did that amazing comeback drive in BF3 a few years back? If so then he has got something special for sure.
Yeah that's him. Beating the likes of Daniel Ricciardo. He did it twice! It was featured in Autosport in an article about best comebacks in Formula 3.
Old 14 Mar 2011, 12:00 (Ref:2845407)   #18
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post
The good thing about comparing drivers to Senna is that if the driver doesn't succeed, you can just go back and say you meant Bruno.
Bit unfair that, he's a fair bit better than Bruno surely??
Old 14 Mar 2011, 15:03 (Ref:2845556)   #19
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralta View Post
Yeah that's him. Beating the likes of Daniel Ricciardo. He did it twice! It was featured in Autosport in an article about best comebacks in Formula 3.
Except it was Alguersuari he beat. Ricciardo was in BF3 a year later.
Old 14 Mar 2011, 15:30 (Ref:2845579)   #20
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Thought my mind was playing tricks on me!! Thanks for clarifying that strider.

Someone mentioned a few posts back that Sergio hasn't really had much competition from his country so he's bound to look good (or similar?)

I'm not sure that that's a huge issue to debate as at the end of the day once they've moved beyond domestic karting, most driver's priorities, no matter how good they are, is taking on the world's best.

If you asked Lewis Hamilton whether his focus was beating Button and Di Resta or Alonso and Vettel, I bet he'd say he's be more bothered about the latter two?

We could say the same about Australian, New Zealand or anywhere that hasn't had many drivers come through. For example I don't think Webber had many serious rivals from his homeland on the way through, he was just a driver with massive potential and his concern is competing with the rest of the F1 drivers regardless of nationality, same goes for Ricciardo now.
Old 21 Mar 2011, 22:57 (Ref:2850862)   #21
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Some said here, and I agree, that F1 is completely different thing from anything before, so drivers that did well in lower categories can be nothing in F1... for now it's all we can think of.
That's because drivers fortunes are generally digited by F1 team managers, sponsors, manufacturers or even Bernie. How many #2 or lower team drivers didn't shine as they could because the impossibility to have privileges as other favoured drivers.
Old 21 Mar 2011, 23:45 (Ref:2850886)   #22
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
That's because drivers fortunes are generally digited by F1 team managers, sponsors, manufacturers or even Bernie. How many #2 or lower team drivers didn't shine as they could because the impossibility to have privileges as other favoured drivers.
I disagree here, most number 2 drivers are just plain not as good as the team number 1. The pecking order is determined at every practice and every race. Occasionally a driver may be asked to move over for a team mate when he is directly in front of the better driver, BUT the team number 1 is the best driver in that team, if he isn't he generally loses the number 1 status pretty quickly. Piquet and Brundle with Schumacher.
Prost and Senna would probably have been equal, and Alonso and Hamilton probably had Hamilton as the favoured one, but they were pretty even, as are Vettel and Webber.

I am open to suggestions where this was not the case, it is an interesting thought! Where has a clearly better driver been the number 2.
Old 21 Mar 2011, 23:50 (Ref:2850892)   #23
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Except it was Alguersuari he beat. Ricciardo was in BF3 a year later.

OOOPS!
Old 22 Mar 2011, 13:30 (Ref:2851230)   #24
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I am open to suggestions where this was not the case, it is an interesting thought! Where has a clearly better driver been the number 2.
I'm not sure about 'clearly better' but it could be argued that Ronnie Peterson and Gilles Villeneuve were equally as good as (if not a bit better than) their victorious team-mates in '78 and '79. However, they both knew their role and remained loyal.

That was in the days of proper contracted #2 drivers though. Colin Chapman didn't have to trot out a load of old rhubarb about giving the drivers an equal opportunity, as Christian Horner has to do now.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 14:30 (Ref:2851272)   #25
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani View Post
I always liked Josele Garza and wished he had got that Minardi drive in 88 - he was very underrated.
He drove for Uncle Bobby. Uncle Bobby wasn't very high on him.

Quote:
There haven't been a great many top line Mexican's since the early 70's...
Well they all looked north instead of across the ocean. If forced to come up with a guy, I'd probably say Adrian Fernandez is the best Mexican since I've been watching racing.