Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Nov 2011, 13:21 (Ref:2980630)   #101
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That depends on the country's culture, many countries have a tradition in olympics, and others don't like...
Old 3 Nov 2011, 05:13 (Ref:2980927)   #102
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
That depends on the country's culture, many countries have a tradition in olympics, and others don't like...
And the cultural argument can be applied to motor sport.
Old 3 Nov 2011, 06:22 (Ref:2980937)   #103
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
That's rather what I've been thinking. If China considers F1 too "Western" (and by China, I mean the Communist Party, not the actual people of the nation), then F1 will be chopped, period.
Old 3 Nov 2011, 12:03 (Ref:2981042)   #104
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
And the cultural argument can be applied to motor sport.
Indeed, though I believe China's case is different.
Old 3 Nov 2011, 20:42 (Ref:2981235)   #105
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Indeed, though I believe China's case is different.
How do you mean?
Old 4 Nov 2011, 17:28 (Ref:2981538)   #106
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I agree with Bonon: in some aspects, China was to show its Westness, at least in the sense of economic progress. They have their dragon boat races, but motorsport is in some ways the same thing as their space program.
Old 29 Feb 2012, 19:58 (Ref:3033209)   #107
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bernie is putting pressure on the Australian organisers to move to a night race again, if they do't he says they will lose their race.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97734

I have always liked the Australian GP, as it seems very popular and well promoted locally, even if it is financially on the edge but then that is due to the usual reasons to do with Bernie.
Old 29 Feb 2012, 20:13 (Ref:3033221)   #108
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I spoke with a fellow from Down Under, back in October, who follows the GP situation, along with V8s to some extent, and he's pretty well convinced that there will be no GP after the current contract runs out.
Old 29 Feb 2012, 20:49 (Ref:3033254)   #109
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Bernie is putting pressure on the Australian organisers to move to a night race again, if they do't he says they will lose their race.
on one hand maximizing the TV audience in Europe is crucial for F1. so much so the Asian and OZ races are pressured to host a night race to put it on an acceptable time in Europe.

for the fans in OZ having a race at night obviously makes attending the race more problematic for the city, fans and organizers...and as such makes the race less feasible and more expensive to run.

so its odd that he wants a night race while at the same time he expects the Asian and OZ races to pay increasing sanctioning fees when the main benefit to F1 comes from the European TV market.

either he should give up asking for night races or offer OZ a cheaper sanctioning fee because if they compromise and move the race to the night he still ends up getting more money from the more favourable European TV time slot.

i dont have the mind for the big deals like BE does but on the surface it doesnt make sense for him to demand both a night race and higher fees...unless there is more going on here then we know...well there is certainly more going on here than i know.
Old 29 Feb 2012, 21:30 (Ref:3033281)   #110
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Bernie's claim would be that there are countries just lining up for the privilege of hosting a GP. So, the theory goes, the market will support a higher price, because if one venue won't pay, he can just cherry-pick another. However, I think he's fast running out of possible nations that could actually build and maintain a track of the type he demands.

Bahrain is having its issues, as we well know. There have been rumblings about Bernie demanding more investment in Sepang to allow the Malaysian race to continue beyond its current contract. The Chinese promoter is not happy with his financial situation, and he wants out. There are question marks over all the European rounds save, perhaps, for Italy, Monaco ,and Britain. Russia could well be in doubt with Putin's support on the wane. I've read that Singapore may well not re-up after their contract runs out this year. Turkey is gone. South Korea may be toast. We haven't heard much about India, though Bernie would probably start complaining if he gets a case of that stomach bug at this year's event. And who knows yet if either US race will get off the ground, or more importantly, stay up, rather than crashing back to earth.

Also, if Bernie pushes too hard, he could be in danger of F1 no longer meeting World Championship criteria. As it is, I think the continents guideline is too generous now; it ought to be either five or six continents in today's world, rather than the mere three required.

Regardless, I don't think Bernie has too many more options, so pretty soon here, I think he may be made to play ball by others, unless he wants his precious empire to come crumbling down around him.
Old 29 Feb 2012, 21:57 (Ref:3033290)   #111
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Future GP's that we know about are 2 in the USA and Russia with Mexico & France as possibles. The races that are currently in the risk catagory include Korea, China, Belgium, Germany, one in Spain, Singapore, Bahrain and now Australia.

That leaves Bernie with more possible outs than in. I suspect one of the European races and Korea will be the first to go but its anybodies guess.
Old 1 Mar 2012, 01:06 (Ref:3033356)   #112
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
If I were a race track owner in the current economic climate and seeing how much Bernie's fee is and how he threatens tracks with the loss of the GP, if they don't play by his arbitrary rules, I'd leave F1 well alone.
Old 1 Mar 2012, 01:39 (Ref:3033360)   #113
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Or you could take no notice..
Old 5 Mar 2012, 17:09 (Ref:3035462)   #114
Jordan 199
Rookie

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Jordan 199 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find Bernie's meddling with Australia to be horrible. After years and years of watching F1, I should by now be used to him sacrificing a popular race for something more up-to-date, just for more money. It doesn't matter that these new venues often never sell out, or have boring racing at them, or have mile-long run-offs that don't punish mistakes.

Whilst the Australian GP has only been held at Melbourne since 96, the track has had a lot of good racing on it, and it has become the standard for the opening day of the season. (Especially when compared with the dullfest we had at Bahrain the year before last.) I feel that Aussie officials won't be able to afford to have the race at night, or alternatively, to pay a higher fee to stay in the day. It'd be such a shame to see it go, but I think that is what will ultimately happen in this case.

It'll probably replaced by a race in a location that has yet to even hear of F1, yet the gazzillion dollars that some wacko president has to build a dull track will ensure Bernie wants to expand F1's horizons again. It's all in the best interest of the sport, see.

Sorry if I'm coming across as angry and bitter in my third/fourth post here, but the migration away from traditional venues is one things that grinds my gears.
Old 10 Mar 2012, 21:07 (Ref:3038031)   #115
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan 199 View Post
I find Bernie's meddling with Australia to be horrible. After years and years of watching F1, I should by now be used to him sacrificing a popular race for something more up-to-date, just for more money. It doesn't matter that these new venues often never sell out, or have boring racing at them, or have mile-long run-offs that don't punish mistakes.

Whilst the Australian GP has only been held at Melbourne since 96, the track has had a lot of good racing on it, and it has become the standard for the opening day of the season. (Especially when compared with the dullfest we had at Bahrain the year before last.) I feel that Aussie officials won't be able to afford to have the race at night, or alternatively, to pay a higher fee to stay in the day. It'd be such a shame to see it go, but I think that is what will ultimately happen in this case.

It'll probably replaced by a race in a location that has yet to even hear of F1, yet the gazzillion dollars that some wacko president has to build a dull track will ensure Bernie wants to expand F1's horizons again. It's all in the best interest of the sport, see.

Sorry if I'm coming across as angry and bitter in my third/fourth post here, but the migration away from traditional venues is one things that grinds my gears.
I don't think having a race in a country that has yet to even hear of F1, does expand F1's horizons. The Turkish GP has turned out to be a bit of a Turkey; great track but no one goes to it. As you say Bahrain is dull. I could go on.

The only thing that seems to be expanding is Bernie's wallet.