Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Feb 2012, 00:34 (Ref:3032194)   #1
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Safety car speed

A question for you brainy people , Is there a min or maximum speed the safety car has to drive at when leading the pack ? The reason i ask is i watched the Senna movie again at the weekend (sorry i know this has probably been done to death on here)and the SC i think was an Opel Vectra GSI . I have done a bit of research and never really found a definitive reason for the crash (conspiracy theories a side , like the sniper in the trees !) but one was the tyres loosing temp and the car bottoming out. In the movie you see Senna accelerate out of a corner obviously trying to get some heat in the tyres and he overtakes the SC and then gestures for the SC to pass him . So was the SC not powerful enough or not being driven fast enough ?
Old 28 Feb 2012, 00:36 (Ref:3032195)   #2
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The thing I don't get about that theory to do with the SC (which many have posited) is that he did a lap at racing speed before the accident. Would the tyres not have been up to optimum or near enough optimum temperature?
Old 28 Feb 2012, 00:43 (Ref:3032198)   #3
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I watched the Senna movie again at the weekend as well and the very same thing struck me about the safety car which in that case did not look like it had the steam to lead anything..

I think safety car speed these days is around 80-100 MPH..
Old 28 Feb 2012, 00:50 (Ref:3032201)   #4
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernd Maylander
During a safety car phase, safety is the most important element; however, I still need to maintain a certain level of speed.

“This is so the race cars do not overheat from the lack of cooling air or that their tyre pressure does not decrease. The teams also have an impact on the velocity.

“They inform Race Control if they want me to speed up or slow down. I tend to drive at my limit during the safety car phase. However, for the Formula One drivers 280 km/h is quite slow. Just to give an example, a Formula One race car is on average 35 to 55 seconds faster with every lap it completes, depending on the length of the track. This means that a Formula One car can overtake the safety car every three laps. It is incredible how fast these cars are.
http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/sa...iver/7430.html
Old 28 Feb 2012, 00:55 (Ref:3032203)   #5
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
I watched the Senna movie again at the weekend as well and the very same thing struck me about the safety car which in that case did not look like it had the steam to lead anything..

I think safety car speed these days is around 80-100 MPH..
A couple of scenes it only looked like about 40-50 mph !!
Old 28 Feb 2012, 00:59 (Ref:3032205)   #6
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Indeed, Senna must have been thinking, What is this pile of junk trying to do ?
Old 28 Feb 2012, 01:31 (Ref:3032218)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh those days...
Old 28 Feb 2012, 01:36 (Ref:3032219)   #8
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Truly wonderful, just wonderful ....
Old 28 Feb 2012, 06:31 (Ref:3032284)   #9
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The safety car was new that season (iirc) and not yet the same (sporty) car at every track. The topic of safety in particular due to low tire pressure because of the slow speed of the safety car was addressed before the race. It seemed a selffulfilling prophecy, however I agree with Born Racer that it cannot be the (only) reason as they had a lap at racing speed already which means the tires should have warmed up some.
Old 28 Feb 2012, 07:58 (Ref:3032296)   #10
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi View Post
The safety car was new that season (iirc) and not yet the same (sporty) car at every track. The topic of safety in particular due to low tire pressure because of the slow speed of the safety car was addressed before the race. It seemed a selffulfilling prophecy, however I agree with Born Racer that it cannot be the (only) reason as they had a lap at racing speed already which means the tires should have warmed up some.
I think you are right about the SC being new and the tyres approaching temp , but how quickly would the tyres have lost temp due to the low speed ?
Old 28 Feb 2012, 09:24 (Ref:3032324)   #11
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
The whole Senna/safety car thing stemmed from the fact that it was one of the first times a SC was used and there were no real protocol's in place.

Senna felt the SC was going too slow so was trying to back-up to make space so he could have a squirt through a corner to try and maintain some heat. Problem was, the SC driver saw Senna slowing and would slow aswell (maybe thinking that he was going too fast). That's when Senna was getting up alongside and waving at him to speed up. Majorly frustrating i imagine!

Anyway, as you all saw, a full lap had passed. They had been through Tamburello flat-out (with lots of sparks mind...) a lap prior to the crash so i find it hard to accept that it was a primary cause.

Now, the SC drives pretty much flat-out. You can hear the tyres squealing bl00dy murder when it's on track!
Old 28 Feb 2012, 09:30 (Ref:3032327)   #12
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not much problem with the latest AMGs keeping a decent pace. They sound better than the F1 cars too.

In fact, the issue more recently, on at least a couple of occasions, has been the pack being unable to keep up with the safety car in the wet...
Old 5 Mar 2012, 10:39 (Ref:3035286)   #13
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
TrueBlueFlyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
quite a few pix on the internet of the AMG safety car sliding off the track...
Old 5 Mar 2012, 22:53 (Ref:3035681)   #14
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
The thing I don't get about that theory to do with the SC (which many have posited) is that he did a lap at racing speed before the accident. Would the tyres not have been up to optimum or near enough optimum temperature?
Yep. I often think that, and I think its something which people overlook. He had already done a racing lap before the accident. Tyres would have been near enough there.
Old 7 Mar 2012, 10:04 (Ref:3036423)   #15
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As Bernd Maylander said, in the Safety Car he drivers at the limit. Because of that, the FIA always have a second Safety Car standing by. It is certainly not unforeseeable, that the Safety Car could spin, leave the track and/or crash.
Another reason for the second Safety Car is fuel mileage. Recently, the Safety Car almost ran out of fuel twice. The first occasion being the 2007 Japanese Grand Prix and the second occasion being the 2011 Canadian Grand Prix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi View Post
In modern Formula 1 the Safety Car was introduced in 1993 and first used during that year's Brazilian Grand Prix due to heavy rain.
Old 8 Mar 2012, 02:02 (Ref:3036779)   #16
Catingaround
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Catingaround should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They are chucking it around these days, I think I saw that the SC car wasn't that far off the Nationwide Series (NASCAR) wet lap times in Canada this year

There are some good stories about the following medical car in Professor Sid Watkins book, with top drivers tearing after the field at the starts.
Old 8 Mar 2012, 02:43 (Ref:3036790)   #17
Truenorth
Rookie

Canada
Northern Alberta
Truenorth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't that Maylander in the Safety Car coming in second at the Bathgate 12hrs?

We certainly don't want the Camry Pace Car from the Daytona 500!
Old 12 Mar 2012, 00:09 (Ref:3038577)   #18
Truenorth
Rookie

Canada
Northern Alberta
Truenorth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GO! go! go!

http://americanlemans.com/blog/safet...lms-safety-car
Old 12 Mar 2012, 13:07 (Ref:3038792)   #19
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nice one !