Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 13 Feb 2010, 17:53 (Ref:2632758)   #1
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Flow

This is a track totally atypical of my previous designs, where I always want to be efficient on terrain use, many different corner types, this one is just for sick speed and to ride this thing you'd probably need to grow and extra nut,more so if it's on a bike.

There are no hairpins, and very few corners of more than 90 deg, many direction changes at presumably high speed, good run-offs , there's a feature I included ,I'll call it "the roundabout" which is a high speed loop ,almost 360 deg which will test setup of cars and bikes,as well as the extra nut I mentioned, I have also put some alternate chicanes for motorcycles.

The track I envisioned it clockwise and it's 13 m wide, 8 km long, main straight is a conservative 600+ m but in the F1 configuration(full speed corners) you hardly need to brake at all.

The corner numbers can vary depending on which t1 is used, the slower way for WSBK and MotoGP, faster one F1 and so.

I hope it don't like some other track, as I have innocently designed tracks that look like something else,albeit that can be a compliment!

Aerial view:

Comments welcome, I also like to hear ideas as for shorter tracks within.

Last edited by LuiggiSpeed; 13 Feb 2010 at 17:59.
Old 13 Feb 2010, 21:11 (Ref:2632838)   #2
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I like it, but I think maybe you're trying just a bit too hard.

The "flow" of this circuit is, to my eye, rather akin to TT Circuit Assen, rather than having a "flow" similar to that of a track like Mosport, or just about anywhere else really.
Old 13 Feb 2010, 22:29 (Ref:2632873)   #3
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I like it, but I think maybe you're trying just a bit too hard.

The "flow" of this circuit is, to my eye, rather akin to TT Circuit Assen, rather than having a "flow" similar to that of a track like Mosport, or just about anywhere else really.
Yeah,I said flow because I don't have any 180 or sharp pointed corners, reminds me of a piece of road we ride here where you spend quite a lot of time dragging knee pucks, in fact I wrecked my Ducati 1098S and almost meet Thy Lord there a year ago , the continuous high speed direction change makes for an interesting track, rather than when you have to stop-and-go,which I have ridden as well but are more physical tracks.

So,calculating the sections are 300-400 m long and the angles are obtuse,for the most part, I predict average speeds well over a buck and change and some pretty spectacular get-offs and gravel excursions.

So what up with the roundabout? You think it's a unique feature? It's about 200m radius,maybe 1k, me think it will offer a battleground for a sprint to the last corners where pilots will need to be at the hairy edge of traction.(?)
Old 16 Feb 2010, 10:09 (Ref:2634270)   #4
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is a hugely beautiful one, Luiggi! I love each corner.

bio
Old 16 Feb 2010, 13:03 (Ref:2634346)   #5
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio View Post
This is a hugely beautiful one, Luiggi! I love each corner.

bio
Ohh thanks bio, that felt good, one strange thing, I would be a little hesitant to throw a leg over my bike and give it a 100% on this one, I might be a little too old, but for sure Rossi or Stoner would love to ride it on their GP machines.

Edit:
Remember that this is a family friendly forum.

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 16 Feb 2010 at 23:49.
Old 17 Feb 2010, 15:48 (Ref:2635005)   #6
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For my taste, this circuit is a bit too long at 8 km. Even though shrinking it in size would mean slowing it down, a great circuit could be made of it that way anyway.
How about 6 km?
Old 17 Feb 2010, 16:08 (Ref:2635020)   #7
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I think it may need to be 8km for "the Lightbulb" to have the effect Luiggi is looking for.
Old 17 Feb 2010, 20:45 (Ref:2635157)   #8
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm unsure about this one, it's a difficult thing to manage. The roundabout is interesrting, but I'm unsure how it would compare with corners like the carousel at Elkhart Lake (Road America). I realise that the roundabout is there to introduce some technical parts to the courcs, bot why not meet with a tangent corner as an option for makes who don't necessarily want to use the roundablut. also, I'm concerned about the exit at the T1/2 chicane. if the chicane is used, the exit goes out on to the racing line. Finally, why not get rid of the current T10, and go direct from 9 to 11, improving an overtaking opportunity?
Old 18 Feb 2010, 01:48 (Ref:2635309)   #9
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tathrim View Post
I'm unsure about this one, it's a difficult thing to manage. The roundabout is interesrting, but I'm unsure how it would compare with corners like the carousel at Elkhart Lake (Road America). I realise that the roundabout is there to introduce some technical parts to the courcs, bot why not meet with a tangent corner as an option for makes who don't necessarily want to use the roundablut. also, I'm concerned about the exit at the T1/2 chicane. if the chicane is used, the exit goes out on to the racing line. Finally, why not get rid of the current T10, and go direct from 9 to 11, improving an overtaking opportunity?
I tried to upload an alternate config but image shack was giving me fits last sunday, so here I go:

Made an obvious way to bypass The Light Bulb (thanks Purist!), got a couple of smaller cicuits. 8Km is kind'a big, but then that's the prime reason I called the flow, 42 foot wide makes for a nice multi line circuit, a la Miller.

I hear ya on t9 being eliminated, but I don't see how getting rid of one direction change will bring more passing opportunities, then again I race motorcycles, where every corner or dir change makes for an opportunity to reverse a pass.

About the race line on T1/T2 I thought the race line will throw cars to the outside left while cars/bikes enter on the right hand side, but I could be wrong. I don't see any difference in using either the slow, sharper corner or the faster, more obtuse corner, in any case you're not supposed to exit to a hot race without looking first!

PD sorry for my explicit language SBF!

Last edited by LuiggiSpeed; 18 Feb 2010 at 02:02.
Old 18 Feb 2010, 02:10 (Ref:2635319)   #10
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
For my taste, this circuit is a bit too long at 8 km. Even though shrinking it in size would mean slowing it down, a great circuit could be made of it that way anyway.
How about 6 km?
6K would bring my longest straight to 525+ meters, still acceptable for me, considering you can keep it pinned down for most of the faster parts, I see no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I think it may need to be 8km for "the Lightbulb" to have the effect Luiggi is looking for.
Yes the Light Bulb I envisioned as a severe direction change at hi speed, with lots of run of and a way of spitting failed attempts to the outside, away from the rest of the track, I think it's kind'a wicked, I'd like to hear from people that have raced, how would it feels? I know for sure in a bike your brain would be overwhelmed with the passing scenery under your knee and the sudden rotation of the whole planet around you(!?)

I have seen something similar in Sachering, albeit a lot smaller.
Old 18 Feb 2010, 11:39 (Ref:2635511)   #11
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i only had concerns with regards to any bikes that lose it under accelleration from T1 will drift into the exit path of a bke coming out of the pits. But, if you think that it's OK given the speeds of the bikes, that's fine with me.
Old 18 Feb 2010, 14:51 (Ref:2635665)   #12
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When do bikes need a pitstop anyway? Only in endurance, drive throughs and practice/qualifying. Only during the race would it matter how fast you go through the pitlane. Because maybe once every race one bike would need to do a drive through so there is realy no need for a safer pit exit unless there's an endurance race going on.
Old 18 Feb 2010, 23:11 (Ref:2635924)   #13
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tathrim View Post
i only had concerns with regards to any bikes that lose it under accelleration from T1 will drift into the exit path of a bke coming out of the pits. But, if you think that it's OK given the speeds of the bikes, that's fine with me.
I foresee bikes or cars using the slower path are rather stable by the time they sort out the chicane, but your observation is very wise, maybe the solution would be to enhance the pit lane a little more to the right, though it's already wider than the normal lane, only actual observation of bikes paths in reality can tell. Actually, in theory, you will not want to go too wild on exit of T2 since it'll screw your entrance angle to T3, you may want to hug the rumblestrip and keep left somewhat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintin03 View Post
When do bikes need a pitstop anyway? Only in endurance, drive throughs and practice/qualifying. Only during the race would it matter how fast you go through the pitlane. Because maybe once every race one bike would need to do a drive through so there is realy no need for a safer pit exit unless there's an endurance race going on.
Sometimes, when it rains, races are deemed "flag to flag" and riders come and change bikes and maybe change it again if track dries out.
Old 19 Feb 2010, 11:06 (Ref:2636164)   #14
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuiggiSpeed View Post
Sometimes, when it rains, races are deemed "flag to flag" and riders come and change bikes and maybe change it again if track dries out.
In that case everyone would get in the pits wouldn't they? I have encountered that situation at a track with almost no pit facilities during the Dutch Superike race. The race was shortened due to rain before the race and during the race. Switching bikes wouldn't have been possible anyway as probably none had more than one bike anyway. As I don't think MotoGP and WSBK would include this track in their calendar the pit exit wouldn't make much difference. plus the fact that it isn't on the race line anyway makes it safe enough.
Old 21 Feb 2010, 23:43 (Ref:2637956)   #15
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuiggiSpeed View Post
I recall this MotoGP race of last season where Rossi had to go out twice or 3 times?

And, one more thing not to forget -the qualification round. There, bikes come out of the pitlane all the time, while there might be bikes going at top speed at the end of the S/F straight...

bio