Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 4 Mar 2009, 20:10 (Ref:2409101)   #1
edthomos
Rookie

edthomos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steve Stares Memorial Bench

Hi guys thought I would let you all know that Goodwood Estate have kindly agreed to allow a memorial bench for Steve Stares to be placed at Goodwood Motor Circuit.
This is a fantastic opportunity to recognise Stevie's service to both the Goodwood Marshal's Club and of course the BARC. As Steve was born and raised literally within earshot of Goodwood, this will be an apt memorial for the big guy.
In order to raise funds for the bench, I have been cleared to bring along a collection bucket (orange of course!!) to the training day at Thruxton this Saturday 7th March and also to the first meeting at Brands Hatch on 28th/29th March.
Any donations to this worthy cause will be very gratefully received - am hoping the bench will be place in time for this year's Goodwood Revival. It is likely to be located near the Jackie Stewart Grandstand, but this is to be confirmed by the Goodwood Management.
Look forward to seeing you all again on Saturday, and don't forget to bring some pennies!!
Eddie Thomas
Old 4 Mar 2009, 20:45 (Ref:2409117)   #2
bonjour
Rookie

England
Clanville, Hants.
bonjour should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

What a wonderful idea just like he was a wonderful guy who will be sadly missed on the banks. Many times I've marshalled with Steve and yourself at Thruxton and Goodwood. I would like to donate but am not at either venue will there be any other opportunity?
Old 4 Mar 2009, 21:37 (Ref:2409148)   #3
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent idea Eddie and I'll be chucking some paper into your pot at Brands.

Should be able to set up a JustGiving accoutn easily enough so people can give electronically.
Old 4 Mar 2009, 21:43 (Ref:2409150)   #4
Dave Weston
Racer

Dave Weston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbryant View Post
Excellent idea Eddie and I'll be chucking some paper into your pot at Brands.
I'll second that - see you on Saturday
Old 5 Mar 2009, 08:45 (Ref:2409303)   #5
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eddie Hi

What about us who are going to the training day at Thruxton on the Sunday, can Becci or someone from the BARC collect from us?

Bladders..........
Old 5 Mar 2009, 14:42 (Ref:2409613)   #6
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll collect it and forward it on if Eddie is happy with that?
Old 5 Mar 2009, 19:01 (Ref:2409779)   #7
Gonfra
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Racer

United Nations
International Man of Mystery
Gonfra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eddie,
Please make sure you catch me on the rescue unit at brands that weekend as I would also like to donate

Steve
Old 5 Mar 2009, 20:02 (Ref:2409814)   #8
edthomos
Rookie

edthomos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you for your swift replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by edthomos View Post
Hi guys thought I would let you all know that Goodwood Estate have kindly agreed to allow a memorial bench for Steve Stares to be placed at Goodwood Motor Circuit.
This is a fantastic opportunity to recognise Stevie's service to both the Goodwood Marshal's Club and of course the BARC. As Steve was born and raised literally within earshot of Goodwood, this will be an apt memorial for the big guy.
In order to raise funds for the bench, I have been cleared to bring along a collection bucket (orange of course!!) to the training day at Thruxton this Saturday 7th March and also to the first meeting at Brands Hatch on 28th/29th March.
Any donations to this worthy cause will be very gratefully received - am hoping the bench will be place in time for this year's Goodwood Revival. It is likely to be located near the Jackie Stewart Grandstand, but this is to be confirmed by the Goodwood Management.
Look forward to seeing you all again on Saturday, and don't forget to bring some pennies!!
Eddie Thomas
First of all thank you to all who have posted replies/questions to my initial announcement re Steve's memorial bench collection.
Just to advise the collection bucket will be at Thruxton on both Saturday and Sunday of this coming weekends training sessions.
I will be there on Saturday - on Sunday the responsibility will pass to Roger Allnut who will be around at sign on and during the day.
Looked in to setting up a Justgiving account, but unable as they will only collect on behalf of registered official charities.
I will be speaking to Becci at Thruxton, and will hopefully be in a position to advise you shortly of alternative arrangements for those who are unable to attend this weekend or the Brands weekend.
Once again many thanks, and by the way can anyone enlighten me how I can recognise who a reply comes from, as I don't recognise all of the user names at the moment?? Could you make it easy for an old guy and pop your name at the bottom of your replies?!!
TTFN
Eddie Thomas
Old 6 Mar 2009, 08:40 (Ref:2410138)   #9
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would not trust Roger, he will probably keep the bucket! He still has got a clipboard he kept from a Dubai trip, I know I was there!!!

Bladders........................
Old 6 Mar 2009, 21:31 (Ref:2410614)   #10
Norbert
Racer

England
Norbert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will be at thruxton on Sunday and speak to Becci to see if alternative arrangements have been sorted.
Old 7 Mar 2009, 21:28 (Ref:2411191)   #11
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Greenslade View Post
I would not trust Roger, he will probably keep the bucket! He still has got a clipboard he kept from a Dubai trip, I know I was there!!!

Bladders........................
Let us hope that it was not the same bucket which kept getting too close to the fire training at the Complex in today's training!!
Old 14 Mar 2009, 19:15 (Ref:2415640)   #12
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I suggest that if folks want to donate "electronically" then they pm you for your details and simply post a cheque.

Afraid I don't believe I knew Steve and rarely venture south so only trying to be helpful without contributing....
Old 15 Mar 2009, 09:20 (Ref:2415869)   #13
BSA Susie
Racer

United Kingdom
Southampton
BSA Susie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great idea Eddie.
I missed taining day as hubbie was away that weekend.
I'll see you and your bucket at Brands.

Remember you'll be getting Steve's share of my hugs too now!
Old 15 Mar 2009, 13:09 (Ref:2415960)   #14
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post
Let us hope that it was not the same bucket which kept getting too close to the fire training at the Complex in today's training!!
If you think we would let a bucket with ££s in it go anywhere near a fire, then you don't know us!

Jim