Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 16 Nov 2001, 16:59 (Ref:175523)   #1
Yimkin
Racer

Yimkin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Condor GT - plea for info!

Hi all,

My attention has been brought to a Condor GT for sale. The ad states it is a one off from 1969 (presumably the same Condor that made a formula junior in the very early sixties?) and comes with a letter of authenticity from the builder.

I know its rude of me to do so, but before I pester the seller does anybody have a photo of the car or a suitable link? (looks are important to me!)

FYI I assume it is a true GT of the Diva/Chevron type as the ad states 'race car but would make a great road car' (sod that, if its intended as a race car thats what it would be used as!)
Old 20 Nov 2001, 00:52 (Ref:176644)   #2
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Weren't they advertised in Road & Track at the time?

Sorry, the whole thing is familiar to me, but I don't remember details.
Old 20 Nov 2001, 11:58 (Ref:176739)   #3
Yimkin
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Ray Bell
Weren't they advertised in Road & Track at the time?

Sorry, the whole thing is familiar to me, but I don't remember details.
Hmm, I've no idea! They obviously weren't a success though. I found a reference to Condor FJ cars in the A-Z of formula racing cars, but haven't found anything else despite much web trawling...
Old 21 Nov 2001, 01:22 (Ref:177084)   #4
Ray Bell
Veteran

You need to find someone with the American mags of the era... Sports Car Graphic, Road & Track and Car & Driver...

Maybe check out Dennis David's website, or get in touch with Dennis and Don Capps... or Mike Argetsinger, he's a likely one. There's the Watkins Glen museum, too...
Old 21 Nov 2001, 13:18 (Ref:177223)   #5
Yimkin
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Ray Bell
You need to find someone with the American mags of the era... Sports Car Graphic, Road & Track and Car & Driver...

Maybe check out Dennis David's website, or get in touch with Dennis and Don Capps... or Mike Argetsinger, he's a likely one. There's the Watkins Glen museum, too...
Do you have a URL for Dennis David's site? Sorry, I don't know it.
Old 29 Nov 2001, 04:10 (Ref:180043)   #6
Ray Bell
Veteran

Hmmm... neither do I... email him at me@ddavid.com or send a personal message to Don Capps ('Corktree') on this system...
Old 9 Mar 2018, 14:53 (Ref:3807071)   #7
TheBoy
Rookie

TheBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yimkin View Post
Hi all,

My attention has been brought to a Condor GT for sale. The ad states it is a one off from 1969 (presumably the same Condor that made a formula junior in the very early sixties?) and comes with a letter of authenticity from the builder.

I know its rude of me to do so, but before I pester the seller does anybody have a photo of the car or a suitable link? (looks are important to me!)

FYI I assume it is a true GT of the Diva/Chevron type as the ad states 'race car but would make a great road car' (sod that, if its intended as a race car thats what it would be used as!)

I finding this thread most interesting in-spite of how old it is. If anyone has any information on this I would be hugely grateful. The men behind the Condor FJ were Ted Whiteaway (uncle Ted to me) and my late father (Mike Thorburn). I am trying to put a timeline together of my father in motor sport so any information no matter how trivial has the potential to be very useful to me.

Thank you.

Justin Thorburn
Old 10 Mar 2018, 12:11 (Ref:3807214)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome Justin. I hope that forum members are able to help.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 13 Mar 2018, 16:26 (Ref:3807757)   #9
TheBoy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Welcome Justin. I hope that forum members are able to help.

Thank you for the welcome John

I hope maybe someone would shed some light on this. It is extremely interesting as I never knew they did a GT plus I thought by 69 they had finished completely. A mystery that I would love to solve. Ted Whiteaway died in 95 (I think) in Australia and my father in 2000 so a lot is lost forever. I will over the next few months search through old photos that my father took and collected over those years (from about 48/49) to try to spot any of this car. The problem I have is a lot are not identified so a lot of the time I do not know what I am looking at.

Again thanks for the welcome
Old 14 Mar 2018, 09:02 (Ref:3807882)   #10
TheBoy
Rookie

After a bit of searching I found this old advert which seems to relate to the car if not the OP.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Condor GT.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	381.8 KB
ID:	51065