Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 18 May 2006, 12:44 (Ref:1613442)   #1
kartingdad
Veteran

kartingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Filling jerry cans

Apart from the expense, filling up jerry cans with SUL for the race car was an easy task.

Not any more! The jobsworth at the local garage refused to let me fill up more than 1 can of fuel due to new laws.

So now it would appear that I have to stagger my trips for fuel. What a nanny state we live in nowadays.

Anyone else had any problems?
Old 18 May 2006, 13:15 (Ref:1613468)   #2
heel'n'toe-no
Veteran

United Kingdom
Albrighton, Shropshire
heel'n'toe-no has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yup....

I first had this problem just outside Silverstone. They stated that it was against the law for them to knowingly allow me to fill more than one jerry can as my road car was not licenced for carrying fuel.

I laughed at them and took my business elsewhere.

It happened to me at my local BP garage when there was a threat of a fuel strike, but that was for different reasons........I think I was annoying those in the queue - filling my cans up so I could go and play at the weekend...ha ha ha....It went down like a cup of warm sick.

Does anyone actually know what the law states for this? Does anyone know a petroleum officer in the fire service?.......Interesting topic.

Or could we all discover that we are all guilty of breaking the law in this regard?
Old 18 May 2006, 13:34 (Ref:1613485)   #3
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
According to West Sussex County Council you can't store much either.
Quote:
Do You Use or Store Petrol at Home?
If you do then it must only be kept in approved metal or plastic containers.

Metal containers should not exceed 10 litres capacity (2 gallons) be fitted with a secure leak-proof cap and be permanently labelled "Petroleum Spirit - Highly Flammable".

Plastic containers should not exceed 5 litres in capacity and should comply with the Petroleum Spirit (Plastic Containers) Regulations 1982. At no time may more than two of these be kept. Contact us for further advice.

Empty containers must be securely stoppered and kept in a safe place. Throw away old petrol cans – don’t run the risk of a leak!
Old 18 May 2006, 13:35 (Ref:1613487)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
You can carry a maximum of 20L of petrol in approved containers in an enclosed vehicle. You could always put the cans on your trailer though.
Old 18 May 2006, 13:43 (Ref:1613491)   #5
heel'n'toe-no
Veteran

United Kingdom
Albrighton, Shropshire
So then.......If we all abide by the law.

1) We can't keep more than 20 litres in our garages (In two seperate Metal Jerry Cans)
2) We can't keep more than 10 litres in our garages (In two seperate plastic Cans)
3) We can't fill up if the petrol stations follow their rules.
4) We can't use our standard vehicles to carry fuel.

Hmmm.......What to do??????

1) Move to pedal cars (Save a fortune on engine rebuilds)
2) Discover how to get the internal combustion engine running on water.
3) Break the law and store and carry fuel in vehicles not licenced to do so.
4) Pay an absolute fortune at the circuit for our fuel. (When available)

Any policemen reading this you'd best come and get me now....I'm going with option 3) - So there!........I'll be waiting for the knock on the door.

A quick one for you.........How do you get a jerry can to do an impersonation of a Dog. Empty about a gallon of petrol out of it on to the floor and throw a lit match at it!!!!!!.........WOOF
Old 18 May 2006, 13:48 (Ref:1613493)   #6
heel'n'toe-no
Veteran

United Kingdom
Albrighton, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
You can carry a maximum of 20L of petrol in approved containers in an enclosed vehicle. You could always put the cans on your trailer though.
It's things like this that make the law an ass.

It has to be infinately safer to carry jerry cans in your boot than have them exposed to sunlight, the elements, stone chips, discarded cigarettes etc. etc.etc. on the trailer.....Unless it's enclosed of course....incidentally mine isn't enclosed as many aren't. Interesting stuff though.
Old 18 May 2006, 14:15 (Ref:1613510)   #7
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Walshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like you arrived at the Petrol Station Andy just as the biscuit packer was starting his shift! It's a bit silly isn't it?

Lee, I know where you live. A couple of pints should stop me "bubbling" you.

I have to be honest and say though, I prefer not to have the cans in the car. I'd always strap them to the trailer on the way to a meeting if I could. I'd rather the cans leak outside the car than in it. Can you imagine if you had a bump on the way to the circuit.

Cause of death: Not the accident, but the 40 litres of petrol in the jerry cans that errupted and ignited..............................

Mellow dramatic or what?
Old 18 May 2006, 14:25 (Ref:1613516)   #8
kartingdad
Veteran

I can see all the race circuits disallowing the transportation of fuel on their land. The alternative - buy your fuel from the circuit petrol station. Not only will it be expensive, but probably old as well!
Old 18 May 2006, 14:53 (Ref:1613535)   #9
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
There is one advantage to buying your fuel at the circuit.

I beleive the rule is, if they stock it, you can use it!

Hyperflow F3 fuel works well in a 1600 Kent if you time it right apparently.

Ask a few people at the Walter Hayes last year!!!!!!!!

Ooh! controversial.......
Old 18 May 2006, 19:34 (Ref:1613713)   #10
heel'n'toe-no
Veteran

United Kingdom
Albrighton, Shropshire
That unmistakeable sweet smell as your driving behind them and they are pulling away from you down the National straight as if you were paddling a canoe......Aaahhhh.....If only I could have tuned my engine to run on it prior to the event.......I could have spun off quicker!!!!!

Oooooh....Contraversionaler
Old 18 May 2006, 19:52 (Ref:1613732)   #11
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And no one has mentioned the reaction of the PC brigade to us calling those 5 gallon containers "Jerry" cans.

Regards

Jim
Old 18 May 2006, 20:06 (Ref:1613745)   #12
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by heel'n'toe-no
That unmistakeable sweet smell as your driving behind them and they are pulling away from you down the National straight
Yes, like 5 lengths. And they have the cheek to strip the paint of your helmet with their fumes.

Allegedly.
Old 18 May 2006, 21:40 (Ref:1613817)   #13
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Check out the carriage of dangerous goods laws for the definitive answer. I do believe that if carried in containers of no more than 20 litres you may be entitled to carry more (unless they have changed the regulations on this). (as a former holder of a Hazmat licence I have had some exposure to this)
Old 18 May 2006, 21:56 (Ref:1613828)   #14
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Further to my last post, the following extract taken from the Health and Safety Executive website (and they should know......)

http://www.hse.gov.uk/cdg/manual/commonprobs.htm

Petrol - small scale carriage
ADR exempts completely private, non work related carriage. A HELA Circular discusses other aspects of the private storage of petrol and this includes advice about containers.

Work related carriage may be exempt under the LQ provisions (see main exemptions). Petrol is LQ4 and the relevant container size is 3 litres.

In containers larger than that (and this will be most cases) only the "ancillary activity" exemption may be applicable, but this is very limited. See main exemptions.

Otherwise the small load exemption (main exemptions) will be applicable up to a total quantity of 333 litres (as long as other dangerous goods are not being carried in which case the aggregation rules must be applied). The containers must be UN approved (see packaging) and properly labelled (see consignment procedures). Typical 5 litre containers purchased from car accessory shops and garages may not be so approved.

A typical case would be the carriage of two or three jerry cans in a van. Providing those cans are UN approved, marked UN 1203 and labelled with the flammable diamond, then the only requirements are

Driver awareness training
Carry 2 kg fire extinguisher
Stow the jerry cans correctly to avoid damage or loss from the vehicle
Note: a typical steel jerry can might be marked 3A1/Y1.2/150/05/GB/****

More information available at the link above, and elsewhere on their site. You can also email questions to them for clarification.

Hope this helps

Phil
Old 18 May 2006, 22:39 (Ref:1613847)   #15
heel'n'toe-no
Veteran

United Kingdom
Albrighton, Shropshire
Mr. Burridge, you've outdone yourself......Thanks.

I'm more confused now than I was earlier......or was that your plan Phil?
Old 19 May 2006, 16:20 (Ref:1614308)   #16
itsonlyme
Racer

England
itsonlyme has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
lolol has anybody else got this advert at the bottom of the thread? .............................

Stainless Steel Jerry Can 10L
10 Litre Stainless Steel Jerry Can . If only the best and most stylish accessories make it into your garage, one of these stainless steel Jerry Cans could be for you. We do the can in three sizes, 20 litres, 10 litres and 5 litres and all are made from high grade T304 Austenitic stainless steel thats the very best, were told. You can also buy a stainless steel spout which will fit any of the cans Product Code YE002. These cans are hugely over-engineered for the job but they are veritable works of art. You dont need one but you do want one. Admit it! £ 179.99
Old 19 May 2006, 17:50 (Ref:1614358)   #17
schomosport
Racer

schomosport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Minor row with supermarket security AFTER the filling station attendant had already agreed I could fill 3 20l jerry cans....

Attendant at local station let me fill 3 cans but only in two batches: not allowed to fill more than 2 cans in one go without paying because of the number of 'drive-off' incidents....

It does all rather raise the spectre of having to fill the lady's Fiesta with SUL and then siphon it off into cans when I get home. Now that would be a real PITA!
Old 21 May 2006, 19:38 (Ref:1615763)   #18
kartingdad
Veteran

It was interesting to see the team running a World Touring Car Alfa at Anglesey (WOT!!!!) load 4x50 gallon barrels of 105 octane fuel into the back of a transit bound for Ireland this afternoon.

Jerry cans are one thing, bit 200 gallons of fuel in a rented tranny is pushing it a bit.

Mind you, bet the fuel was worth more than the van!
Old 21 May 2006, 21:12 (Ref:1615822)   #19
Cleggie
Rookie

Cleggie has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The problem you are all facing with the fourcourt attendants at petrol stations is that different rules apply to them than to to the carriage of petrol, filling stations can't store any more than a 5 litre can, other than that in thier tanks, the attendents think the rules that apply to them (COSHH and such like, also apply to joe public).
Go back to Hubble's post and that's pretty much the law. In plain English, if you're carrying the stuff yourself you can use jerry cans, or any thing that was made to carry the stuff, just mark them with a hazard diamond for flammable liquid. A word of warning though: if you pay anyone to come along and help, such as a mechanic, you will probalby be seen as an employer, in the eyes of the law, and will come under the ADR Carriage of Dangerous Goods Regs 2005, and what Hubble says will apply to you....

The best thing is not to take the micky out of the attendant, 3 cans max should do it, if asked, quote: ADR 2005 Regulations, and when you get back home, don't take the cans out of your van and stick it under the stairs....
Old 21 May 2006, 21:13 (Ref:1615824)   #20
Cleggie
Rookie

Cleggie has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
......booom......
Old 21 May 2006, 22:00 (Ref:1615856)   #21
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartingdad
It was interesting to see the team running a World Touring Car Alfa at Anglesey (WOT!!!!) load 4x50 gallon barrels of 105 octane fuel into the back of a transit bound for Ireland this afternoon.

Jerry cans are one thing, bit 200 gallons of fuel in a rented tranny is pushing it a bit.

Mind you, bet the fuel was worth more than the van!

Oh well. You shouldn't need to visit the forecourt this week. Plenty of fuel left after the reduced laps and non start at Anglesey this weekend.........
Old 22 May 2006, 10:47 (Ref:1616163)   #22
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
So, Jerry cans....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleggie
The problem you are all facing with the fourcourt attendants at petrol stations is that different rules apply to them than to to the carriage of petrol, filling stations can't store any more than a 5 litre can, other than that in thier tanks, the attendents think the rules that apply to them (COSHH and such like, also apply to joe public).
Of course this is the problem is when they don't know the law. As you say, it's good to point out the law to correct them when they tell you that you're wrong, but the forecourt attendant themselves will probably just be following orders from on high. And is it really worth waiting for the station manager, who then needs to phone head office...
Old 22 May 2006, 11:20 (Ref:1616182)   #23
jimbomit
Racer

England
Cheshire
jimbomit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been refused several times and they don't tend to change their mind when you tell them it is legal!!

Way round it??

Pick your pump so your car is between you and the attendant, have the empty cans in the car. Get out of the car, slip the jerry's out (NO DOUBLE ENTENDRE!!!) then stand at the back of the car as though to fill up, when they set the pump off, fill the cans and put them in your boot. If, as they did with me, tell me off. . . well who cares you've filled up!!
Old 22 May 2006, 12:44 (Ref:1616258)   #24
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I pass a Shell garage on the way to the motorway and I have never had any problem getting fuel in jerry cans. Although as it is on the way I do have the trailer with me so maybe that is okay. If you are in a car it may look like you are getting ready for a fuel strike?

Although I am sponsored by Gulf I can't have the fuel at home as it only comes in large drums and my house hold insurance doesn't allow it. I think Infiniti had the same issue last year when they offered to fuel the team.
Old 23 May 2006, 10:51 (Ref:1616994)   #25
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbomit
I've been refused several times and they don't tend to change their mind when you tell them it is legal!!

Way round it??

Pick your pump so your car is between you and the attendant, have the empty cans in the car. Get out of the car, slip the jerry's out (NO DOUBLE ENTENDRE!!!) then stand at the back of the car as though to fill up, when they set the pump off, fill the cans and put them in your boot. If, as they did with me, tell me off. . . well who cares you've filled up!!
Thats what I do and have never had a problem