Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Nov 2013, 00:09 (Ref:3330647)   #1
Racenut
Racer

Australia
Racenut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is the value of an REC?

Just been considering how hard it is for a young drive to be 'picked up' by a V8 supercar team, is another option to set up your own?

Does anyone know (not guess) the value/cost of an REC in the current market? How much to buy? How much to lease?
Old 13 Nov 2013, 01:38 (Ref:3330657)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racenut View Post
Just been considering how hard it is for a young drive to be 'picked up' by a V8 supercar team, is another option to set up your own?

Does anyone know (not guess) the value/cost of an REC in the current market? How much to buy? How much to lease?
The buy price of anything is what someone is prepared to pay. The sell price is related to firstly what it cost them in the first place, and whether the buy price is somewhere in line with that.

There would be very few RECs with a book value of less than the $1.5m mark where they were most recently sold. Some were resold for reportedly closer to $1.7m, and a couple at the $2m mark.

The REC offers the licence to play with the big boys & girls.. and the market has seen at or around the $1.5m value level for some time.

That the income for these RECs has fallen to zero (well zero cash, they do get free dry tyres) doesnt change the cost of ~$1.5m in the books of those holding them. So they likely arent for sale at a price lower than this.

A lease depends on who you might lease to. The lease reassigns the requirement to operate a car to the entity leasing the REC from the owner, such that the REC owner isnt required to front a car in the event of default by those leasing their REC.

Having said that, in a 2 year maximum leasing length, if an entity leases for the first year, and falls over before the end of the first year, it is said that the REC owner must front a car in the second year or stare down the barrel of the liquidated damages fines for round non-attendance.

Similarly, if the REC owner sells their REC, the lease may or may not be terminated, potentially leaving the team leasing the REC without a licence to ride...

The cost of a lease is a buyer & seller market too. Some are at the top end of the scale, at 35% of the value the REC on an annual basis, for each year of the lease. Others have been done for the the value of the REC income, back when it was $800k per annum. Others are free.. just to lock the REC up, and hold it until the next plans can be enacted.

How fast can you afford to go...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 13 Nov 2013, 02:23 (Ref:3330670)   #3
Racenut
Racer

Australia
Thanks GTR, on that basis owning an REC would be a good investment, where else could you get that sort of return.

If a young driver owned an REC that would make him/her quite attractive for some teams I would imagine.
Old 13 Nov 2013, 03:44 (Ref:3330688)   #4
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks GTR, on that basis owning an REC would be a good investment, where else could you get that sort of return.
The value of the REC were built up over years of income derived from it.

The lack of income this year and next will no doubt reduce the value of them in the market.

The next tv deal will influence this as well.
Old 13 Nov 2013, 08:41 (Ref:3330736)   #5
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
The value of the REC were built up over years of income derived from it.

The lack of income this year and next will no doubt reduce the value of them in the market.

The next tv deal will influence this as well.
Some truth in that but REC's (or the previous Franchise Agreements) were changing hands for a mill plus in the early noughties before many of the larger jumps in revenue.

There is value in the REC to people who want to be in the main game for various reasons plus an REC gives you the opportunity to be in the main game and develop strong sponsorship revenue which may well be a substantial earn.

Whether or not you actual do those sponsorship deals is of course another thing entirely.
Old 13 Nov 2013, 09:25 (Ref:3330748)   #6
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
have any RECs been sold since the Archer take over?

A REC is worth considerable less as a result of that sale. Dropped by about a third
Old 13 Nov 2013, 10:01 (Ref:3330758)   #7
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The PMM RECs would've changed hands after the Archer takeover, but apparently a slae never took place. Just a couple of lease agreements.

Betty K purchased an SBR REC as part of the buyout, but the purchase price would be difficult to detirmine, if it was bought as a package deal.
Old 13 Nov 2013, 11:29 (Ref:3330782)   #8
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

If a young driver owned an REC that would make him/her quite attractive for some teams I would imagine.
Yes and no

While owning an REC guarentees you a place on the grid, you (or a team, depending on what deal you can do) still needs to come up with the budget to run the car after you've already forked out $1.5 million or so just to be eligible to compete.

The RECs will always have a value of some sort, particularly when they are as limited as they currently are and if you want to run in the series, you need to have one.
Old 14 Nov 2013, 09:24 (Ref:3331163)   #9
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what ever you want to pay for it

then have the $$$$ to be at the pointy end or lease it.
Old 14 Nov 2013, 17:35 (Ref:3331355)   #10
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok, so if I splashed out $1.5 million, whats the min' it would cost to buy and run a car for a year?

Saving that what do get if you rent a REC?
Old 14 Nov 2013, 21:23 (Ref:3331459)   #11
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12 View Post
Ok, so if I splashed out $1.5 million, whats the min' it would cost to buy and run a car for a year?

Saving that what do get if you rent a REC?
not much change from $7 mil to run a team:

Base /workshop ( staff, everyday costs, )
Transporter ( fuel tyres etc)
Crew ( wages , accomodation etc )
Engineer ( poach one or develop one)
Driver (hopefully can pay)
Spares (budget for 1 mill + , two bad smashes can be costly)
promo stuff(sponsor should cover that)
travel, etc etc

leasing it, garenteed income , not a huge outlay to race, just have to choose what is better for the bank balance

Last edited by fomoco; 14 Nov 2013 at 21:36.
Old 14 Nov 2013, 21:58 (Ref:3331480)   #12
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With the amount of sponsors (and in some case pay-drivers) walking away at years end (HiFlex, Irwin, Fujitsu, HHA etc), and the obligations associated with a REC, won't some teams in particular have their backs to the wall to run in 2014? And if that's the case, surely that reduces the price of a REC on the open market? Or am I missing something?
Old 14 Nov 2013, 22:22 (Ref:3331495)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
With the amount of sponsors (and in some case pay-drivers) walking away at years end (HiFlex, Irwin, Fujitsu, HHA etc), and the obligations associated with a REC, won't some teams in particular have their backs to the wall to run in 2014? And if that's the case, surely that reduces the price of a REC on the open market? Or am I missing something?
Only if those RECs for sale have sponsors leaving.

Three of the 4 operations you describe are family owned, and have access to monies other that strictly commercial backing...

While a fire sale may occur when a REC holder doesnt have the budget to run a car, and an opportunistic purchaser may offer a lower number to remove the risk associated with not turning up..
Old 20 Nov 2013, 05:38 (Ref:3334073)   #14
tandino
Rookie

tandino should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why the two year limit for leasing an REC?
Old 20 Nov 2013, 07:10 (Ref:3334085)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by tandino View Post
Why the two year limit for leasing an REC?
To remove the financial speculators from buying up the RECs and leasing them out at top rates... and arguably not contributing anything to the sport in the process
Old 20 Nov 2013, 20:12 (Ref:3334460)   #16
Racenut
Racer

Australia
It could be a good strategy for some of the 'older' drivers like Russell Ingall and Greg Murphy to prolong their career. It would certainly make them more attractive.
Old 20 Nov 2013, 22:17 (Ref:3334513)   #17
twinwebbers
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
twinwebbers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It could be a good strategy for some of the 'older' drivers like Russell Ingall and Greg Murphy to prolong their career. It would certainly make them more attractive.
Perhaps a good idea for some of the younger drivers to consider doing that now. But when your close to retirement would you consider 'paying' $1.5 million to prolong your career?
Old 21 Nov 2013, 05:22 (Ref:3334633)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinwebbers View Post
Perhaps a good idea for some of the younger drivers to consider doing that now. But when your close to retirement would you consider 'paying' $1.5 million to prolong your career?
If a REC can be resold for at or around the purchase price, and the REC holder has earned an income from holding the REC (which is said to be on track for 2014...), then its not a bad place to land some investment dollars...
Old 21 Nov 2013, 07:34 (Ref:3334667)   #19
tandino
Rookie

tandino should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
To remove the financial speculators from buying up the RECs and leasing them out at top rates... and arguably not contributing anything to the sport in the process
Fair enough. Sounds pretty logical.
Old 23 May 2015, 06:17 (Ref:3540341)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Wonder if This Article may just have increased the value of the existing REC's

Old 23 May 2015, 06:20 (Ref:3540342)   #21
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Wonder if This Article may just have increased the value of the existing REC's
So RBR gets a REC and what happens to the 2 that are being absorbed? Does V8SA just pay out a "market rate" to the owner?
Old 23 May 2015, 07:11 (Ref:3540349)   #22
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Who is currently in the market for a REC.
SBR - need one to replace the leased TP DJR rec.
888 - need one for SVG

anyone else?
Old 23 May 2015, 09:09 (Ref:3540369)   #23
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz170 View Post
Who is currently in the market for a REC.
SBR - need one to replace the leased TP DJR rec.
888 - need one for SVG

anyone else?
There was noise around Eggleston Motorsport wanting to move up to the main game in a customer 888-mobile...
Old 23 May 2015, 10:13 (Ref:3540378)   #24
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Do you think with enough interest, and evidence of solid business plans outlining strong financial support, that V8SC might just free up more than one stagnent REC?
Old 23 May 2015, 10:27 (Ref:3540380)   #25
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Do you think with enough interest, and evidence of solid business plans outlining strong financial support, that V8SC might just free up more than one stagnent REC?
I haven't really seen enough external sponsorship to think they would have enough for a credible Main Game team but you never know.

Of course the real money behind that team is not insignificant in itself.

We've seen a few property developers come and go from the sport.... Mostly go!