Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 14 Dec 2017, 15:15 (Ref:3787035)   #1676
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
Think Toyota effectively said no 3rd car somewhere recently? Can't recall where I may have saw that
"Never been less chance of a third car" - Senior Toyota source
Old 14 Dec 2017, 15:16 (Ref:3787037)   #1677
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
All the DSC article confirms is that Rebellion are entering WEC LMP1 with a 2 car effort.......other than that we are still speculation about chassis and engines........but I do admit it would make sense for then to stay with Oreca, for historical reasons, but I think Oreca still have a conflict of interest issue as they support Toyota, hence if I was choosing an LMP1 chassis, Oreca would be my last choice for that reason.......

honestly I think the Gibson 4.5 will be a mistake, I will be quite surprised if it can compete with the turbo motors who will have a much bigger effective capacity once turbo boost is applied......2.4L = 4.8L with 2 bar of boost......3.0L = 6.0L with 2 bar of boost......as a result the turbo motors will have a great deal more torque to accelerate out of corners with. LeMans is basically 5 huge acceleration zones.
Not speculating - it will be with Oreca
Old 14 Dec 2017, 15:57 (Ref:3787049)   #1678
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The announcement stated that Rebellion would unveil its 2018/19 LMP1 contender at the Geneva motor show next March.

I bet they're gonna tell the chassis/engine/tire combo by next month or early February though? I mean surely we're not gonna see TBA-TBA-TBA written into the LM entry list in the February ACO press conference?

It's bit of a mystery why they - and the TBA Ginetta team - keep delaying it, but oh well at least they'll be there!
Old 14 Dec 2017, 16:08 (Ref:3787052)   #1679
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Someone should put the Cadillac DPi engine into an LMP1.
Old 14 Dec 2017, 16:33 (Ref:3787058)   #1680
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Why aren't we arguing that the ACO didn't get it right with forced induction vs naturally aspirated back in the LMP900/675 days? Audi dominated LMP900 with a turbo engine and the only other cars that consistently held a candle to them after 2002 were the ex-LMP675 Dyson Lolas, that had turbo engines.

That all being said, the Mechachrome engine will probably be the least proven, seeing as it's not run an endurance race and is based on a sprint race engine design.
Old 14 Dec 2017, 16:45 (Ref:3787059)   #1681
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The NBE DTM engines in offer would surely be even more risky than the Mechacromes.
Old 14 Dec 2017, 17:00 (Ref:3787061)   #1682
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TzeiTzei View Post
Someone should put the Cadillac DPi engine into an LMP1.
Agree.... just image how much torque can it create without air restrictors and 100kg/h fuel flow rate.
Of course with a 6.2L V8 in the back, forget to have a car lighter than 950kg, as cadillac dpi is rumored to be, but will be worth.
Old 14 Dec 2017, 17:00 (Ref:3787062)   #1683
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
And with the Mechachrome engine being single turbo, I wonder how it would fare as far as turbo lag. Audi had a single turbo on the R18 series, but that engine was a diesel and had a VTG turbo. I don't follow the F1 feeder series so I don't know how that engine fairs there, but I'd assume that it uses some form of anti-lag.
Old 14 Dec 2017, 17:01 (Ref:3787063)   #1684
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
The NBE DTM engines in offer would surely be even more risky than the Mechacromes.
Indeed.... late '90 design, lowest torque, highest revs.... the real deal
Old 14 Dec 2017, 17:07 (Ref:3787064)   #1685
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
And with the Mechachrome engine being single turbo, I wonder how it would fare as far as turbo lag. Audi had a single turbo on the R18 series, but that engine was a diesel and had a VTG turbo. I don't follow the F1 feeder series so I don't know how that engine fairs there, but I'd assume that it uses some form of anti-lag.

ERS-H is used as antilag system too.
It's really hard to predict what kind of engile mechachrome will be.
Anyway being single turbo but with a mid size displacement, I expect a <1.75 bar range for the whole rpm range. Revving higher up to 8000rpm or more.
Old 14 Dec 2017, 18:08 (Ref:3787075)   #1686
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
I wouldn't be surprised if they do go for the Judd V10. They did use the 5.5 V10 before in 2010.
Old 14 Dec 2017, 23:23 (Ref:3787126)   #1687
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
Agree.... just image how much torque can it create without air restrictors and 100kg/h fuel flow rate.
Of course with a 6.2L V8 in the back, forget to have a car lighter than 950kg, as cadillac dpi is rumored to be, but will be worth.
The Cadillac (Dallara actually) is not 950kg because of the engine. It is because of the rules and the bop applied to the car. The WTR car was that weight but iirc, the other Cadillac's were still 930kg, again, because of the rules saying that each dpi/lmp2 has to be that weight.
Old 15 Dec 2017, 08:16 (Ref:3787167)   #1688
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
A valid point, but honestly I think it will be fine, there are now many ALS options and control strategies to pick from in order to keep a turbo engine on-boost, turbo lag is virtually a thing of the past in a good turbo race engine. A fresh air valve is the main 1st choice.

One of the main factors is because the Mechachrome is a hot-V engine the length of the exhaust headers/manifold is minimal, so a very short run for the hot-gas to the turbine, so by default, the turbine will respond very quickly.

Running VGT is probably a bit too hot for such an application, but it can be done with some exotic ceramic turbine variable guide vanes, as Porsche did many years ago.
Old 15 Dec 2017, 08:23 (Ref:3787168)   #1689
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
EI running an interesting article.......Porsche engine would make a lot of sense for Marketing reasons, as $100K watches dont sit too well together with the Nissan brand........but they would next to the Porsche brand

http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/la-...ion-en-photos/

Translated:

The Rebellion Racing took advantage of its end-of-season evening to present its 2018 program which will go through the commitment of two LMP1 whose chassis and engine remain to be officially confirmed.

Remember that the Swiss team has secured the services of two Porsche drivers, namely Neel Jani and André Lotterer. Matthias Müller, president of Volkswagen Group, sent a message of encouragement to the team, finishing with a Rebellion cap on his head. It's been a while since we hear about a Porsche engine for a private LMP1. Should we see there the beginning of any relationship with a brand of the Volkswagen Group? Answer shortly ...

The Swiss team took the opportunity to show some of its cars in a temperature at least winter, not to mention the opening of the exhibition devoted to 24 cars related to the 24 Hours of Le Mans.
Old 15 Dec 2017, 08:40 (Ref:3787172)   #1690
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
EI running an interesting article.......Porsche engine would make a lot of sense for Marketing reasons, as $100K watches dont sit too well together with the Nissan brand........but they would next to the Porsche brand

http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/la-...ion-en-photos/

Translated:

The Rebellion Racing took advantage of its end-of-season evening to present its 2018 program which will go through the commitment of two LMP1 whose chassis and engine remain to be officially confirmed.

Remember that the Swiss team has secured the services of two Porsche drivers, namely Neel Jani and André Lotterer. Matthias Müller, president of Volkswagen Group, sent a message of encouragement to the team, finishing with a Rebellion cap on his head. It's been a while since we hear about a Porsche engine for a private LMP1. Should we see there the beginning of any relationship with a brand of the Volkswagen Group? Answer shortly ...

The Swiss team took the opportunity to show some of its cars in a temperature at least winter, not to mention the opening of the exhibition devoted to 24 cars related to the 24 Hours of Le Mans.
Wow, if there's fire to go with that smoke!
Old 15 Dec 2017, 09:10 (Ref:3787174)   #1691
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"We started with a six-cylinder engine in April and of course we want to finish it off."

https://www.autosport.com/wec/news/1...-on-new-engine

This is fun!
Old 15 Dec 2017, 09:20 (Ref:3787175)   #1692
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
Yes, I cant see Rebellion simply bolting in the existing Porsche V4 and being up the front, as the other half of performance came from Porsches whacking great KERS system, I think they were 8 MJ class?.......if the motor is going in a privateer chassis without KERS, the engine will need more capacity, and dare I say more cylinders to make up the short-fall in performance due to a lack of KERS system........V6 Porsche LMP1 sounds on the money

am determined to predict something right!!!!......though I had them nailed on the Ginetta-Nissan package, but was a mile off!!!!!
Old 15 Dec 2017, 09:24 (Ref:3787177)   #1693
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
The Cadillac (Dallara actually) is not 950kg because of the engine. It is because of the rules and the bop applied to the car. The WTR car was that weight but iirc, the other Cadillac's were still 930kg, again, because of the rules saying that each dpi/lmp2 has to be that weight.
wrong, after daytona win, Angelelli confirmed that cadillac dpi was overweighted compared to the other dpi/lmp2.
Later in season was rumored and basically confirmed that nissan dpi and mazda dpi were overweighted too.
Old 15 Dec 2017, 09:25 (Ref:3787178)   #1694
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
am determined to predict something right!!!!......though I had them nailed on the Ginetta-Nissan package, but was a mile off!!!!!
Lol mate! But it's your engine know how we respect you for, not your predictions...
Old 15 Dec 2017, 09:28 (Ref:3787179)   #1695
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
Yes, I cant see Rebellion simply bolting in the existing Porsche V4 and being up the front, as the other half of performance came from Porsches whacking great KERS system, I think they were 8 MJ class?.......if the motor is going in a privateer chassis without KERS, the engine will need more capacity, and dare I say more cylinders to make up the short-fall in performance due to a lack of KERS system........V6 Porsche LMP1 sounds on the money

Agree, porsche ICE was part of a complex system including batteries, transmission, ERS-H. You can't simply take it stand-alone and put it in another car. Beyond that, just one porsche V4 should cost more than the whole 2 rebellion-oreca cars package.
Old 15 Dec 2017, 09:38 (Ref:3787182)   #1696
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
Agree, porsche ICE was part of a complex system including batteries, transmission, ERS-H. You can't simply take it stand-alone and put it in another car. Beyond that, just one porsche V4 should cost more than the whole 2 rebellion-oreca cars package.
I dont think cost or budget is a problem for Rebellion........have you seen how much their watches sell for?....eeek!.....

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/rebellion/index.htm

Old 15 Dec 2017, 09:52 (Ref:3787188)   #1697
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
I dont think cost or budget is a problem for Rebellion........have you seen how much their watches sell for?....eeek!.....

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/rebellion/index.htm

Honestly? cheap stuff I used to see much more expensive rebellion watches
Old 15 Dec 2017, 10:47 (Ref:3787197)   #1698
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Need to generate some good will to ensure your 4 car GTE Pro application is accepted?
Simply supply an engine to an LMP1 privateer!
Old 15 Dec 2017, 10:53 (Ref:3787198)   #1699
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
you said it!...... so then avoids loss-of-face for the ACO and they have a 3rd LMP1 manufacturer, and rather a nice one at Porsche, the others being Toyota and the Nissan in the Kolles, obviously Porsche and Nissan being customer versions.........but IMSA have 4......all makes sense now.......
Old 15 Dec 2017, 11:02 (Ref:3787200)   #1700
Mike E
Veteran

The inevitable end result if this happened?
Rebellion-Porsche beats Toyota...