Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 5 Jan 2009, 16:42 (Ref:2365706)   #1
RF_Racer
Veteran

RF_Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GPR gone bust.

Put an order in for a few things before xmas, and cannot get through to them.

On their website they have a message about trading difficulties.. Of course they are not going to say that have gone bust.. but thats what I make of it

www.gprdirect.com
Old 5 Jan 2009, 17:12 (Ref:2365718)   #2
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I hope not I use them for my Tilton bits. I recently placed an order with payment in advance to some arses for a £3400 printer only to be informed they had gone bust with my money so if I read something like this I would be very wary and I am one of their customers for Tilton kit.
Old 5 Jan 2009, 19:15 (Ref:2365796)   #3
RF_Racer
Veteran

Lets hope not....what kind of printer @ £3400???
Old 5 Jan 2009, 19:34 (Ref:2365800)   #4
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Big 44" 12 colour machine, real price over 6k this was meant to be ex-demo and in stock but they never even had one to sell should have smelt a rat. Anyhow I have at last got the police interested in the case as they wrote to me today and are investigating further after keep telling me its a civil case when its a blatant case of fraud. I hate the limited liability laws in this country, the times I have come unstuck with them and lost big money when the criminals just walk away back to their big mansions in the country.
Old 5 Jan 2009, 19:38 (Ref:2365806)   #5
avro
Racer

avro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was informed last week that GPR have indeed gone into administration / bust / in the hands of the receiver call it what you may.

BUT you will need to check with an official source such as Companies House for confirmation.

Sad situation
Old 5 Jan 2009, 19:44 (Ref:2365813)   #6
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
It wont show it on there for a few weeks trust me I am well up on this at the moment. Just hope any of you that have orders pending are (a) Private punters and (b) have paid by credit card. Unfortunately if you are a trade customer and have bought by credit card you are not protected by the consummer credit act and the credit card company will not want to know (trust me I know I got this direct from the Trading Standards Officeir) same goes if you have paid cash in advance as you will never see your cash back or the goods, as I said limited liability trading laws in the UK suck.
Old 5 Jan 2009, 19:48 (Ref:2365819)   #7
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
wasnt Ray Bellm part owner?
Old 5 Jan 2009, 19:57 (Ref:2365826)   #8
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_b
wasnt Ray Bellm part owner?
According to Wiki he was the majority stake holder. This may explain why they dont have there name down for a stand at the Autosport show I just put it down to the cost of the show but seems it may have been worse.
Old 5 Jan 2009, 20:04 (Ref:2365835)   #9
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
First of many I fear, this is gonna be one hell of a hard year for motorsport.
Old 5 Jan 2009, 20:04 (Ref:2365838)   #10
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
bdwoody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
only the start of it i think .more to come .
Old 5 Jan 2009, 20:11 (Ref:2365841)   #11
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Keep spending then. The recession can only get worse if people decide to keep their money under their bed. Everyone has to get the money flowing (and yes, this includes the banks).
Old 5 Jan 2009, 20:44 (Ref:2365856)   #12
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Keep spending what?

You cant spend what you dont have. IMO
Old 5 Jan 2009, 21:08 (Ref:2365882)   #13
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Off topic kind of but I was watching BBC News the other day and their money expert was saying HBOS are currently paying just .001% interest to savers as they no longer needed their money as banks were lending to each other but worse still he recons if interest rates went to a negative value as has been speculated than the savers could actually get charged for having their money in the bank, so yes go and spend it, what a mad situation.
Old 5 Jan 2009, 21:21 (Ref:2365893)   #14
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
It'll be interesting to see if they are at ASI this week. It's a shame but they don't seem to match DT for service and are priced the same.
Old 5 Jan 2009, 22:06 (Ref:2365920)   #15
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I always found them pretty good myself.
Old 5 Jan 2009, 22:35 (Ref:2365934)   #16
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So did I. DT didn't have boots in when I was looking for a pair, and even if they did it was a 3-5 day delivery. Phoned GPR at 2pm and had them next day. Just seemed a bit more interested to be honest. Real shame.
Old 5 Jan 2009, 23:51 (Ref:2365977)   #17
RF_Racer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristancliffe
Keep spending then. The recession can only get worse if people decide to keep their money under their bed. Everyone has to get the money flowing (and yes, this includes the banks).
I take it you plan on introducing a luxury team motorhome in the Mono series this year?
Old 5 Jan 2009, 23:55 (Ref:2365979)   #18
RF_Racer
Veteran

Demon Tweeks will lower their prices if you haggle. GPR will try to wriggle out of any discount, I had a premiere card or what ever its called and each time I had to fight for discounts.. even they it was a few %.

They got what was coming to them. They lost me many times to Demon Tweeks who could give me a better price... Im sure it happened with many other customers.
Old 6 Jan 2009, 00:46 (Ref:2366003)   #19
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
First of many I fear, this is gonna be one hell of a hard year for motorsport.
Yep. From everyone I have talked to it is looking really ugly and the worse could be yet to come as the effects take hold and funding runs out. I'd like to be optimistic, but I think you are going to see a major contraction in motor racing around the world.
Old 6 Jan 2009, 09:44 (Ref:2366195)   #20
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I will try to carry on this season as I run a tight ship doing everything in house myself but I will definitely be cutting back on 2nd races etc. but at the end of the day it all depends on what comes through the shop door. Fortunately the organising club I run with has seen sense and we have a more central calender for the coming season which will help.
Old 6 Jan 2009, 09:55 (Ref:2366201)   #21
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RF_Racer
I take it you plan on introducing a luxury team motorhome in the Mono series this year?
If a tent and a sack barrow counts, then yes
Old 6 Jan 2009, 10:01 (Ref:2366207)   #22
minifox
Racer

England
milton keynes
minifox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i can confirm that the silverstone branch is completely empty of both stock and people. has been since about a week before xmas.
Old 6 Jan 2009, 10:16 (Ref:2366217)   #23
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RF_Racer
Demon Tweeks will lower their prices if you haggle. GPR will try to wriggle out of any discount, I had a premiere card or what ever its called and each time I had to fight for discounts.. even they it was a few %.

They got what was coming to them. They lost me many times to Demon Tweeks who could give me a better price... Im sure it happened with many other customers.

What is this strange belief creeping in that because someone asks for discount the supplier is bound to roll over and comply.
Sure you are entitled to go begging if it suits you, but the supplier has to make a profit, or else they go broke, just as you see here.
Prsonally I always used GPR against DT, nothing to do with price, just quality of the equipment and attitude of the staff.
Old 6 Jan 2009, 11:11 (Ref:2366251)   #24
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not currently in Administration or Receivership according to Co's House. Doesn't mean it's not in the pipeline though....

http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/ed...f7/compdetails
Old 6 Jan 2009, 11:12 (Ref:2366252)   #25
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I agree (I would as i have a shop!) but it does erk me this continual trying to barter you down, I just opened a letter from one of my material supplier informing me that they are putting up stuff to between 10 and 20%, how can I survive if I don't pass the material price increases on at least even if not my labour. I also found their staff very knowledgable on the product.