Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 16 Apr 2017, 15:48 (Ref:3727061)   #51
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Exactly my feelings. After the team expanded to three cars, all with one main sponsor, big sponsor with three-year deal, I expected rise and rise for them but now it seems that it's not really the case. Well, it's just round 2 so dont rule them out but it's hard not to notice that Depper and probably Davenport are not drivers who fit this 'rise and rise' plan. M. Jackson, Cook and Jake Hill. That would be a trio!
Old 16 Apr 2017, 16:52 (Ref:3727107)   #52
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
red flag for the 2nd meeting running
Old 16 Apr 2017, 17:06 (Ref:3727120)   #53
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Matt Neal removed from the race
Old 16 Apr 2017, 17:08 (Ref:3727124)   #54
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
850Estate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Feel for Matt, if he hadn't spun his wheels he probably would have been allowed to start.

Fancy Shedden for the win, but would love to see Newsham or Cook take it.
Old 16 Apr 2017, 17:11 (Ref:3727131)   #55
porsche962fan
Veteran

couldn't they have a rolling start this time ?
Old 16 Apr 2017, 17:49 (Ref:3727142)   #56
slummingangel
Racer

Ireland
slummingangel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why did the Camera cut to the winner crossing the line from that 3 car battle?
Old 16 Apr 2017, 17:50 (Ref:3727143)   #57
porsche962fan
Veteran

feel gutted for Newsham
Old 16 Apr 2017, 17:54 (Ref:3727145)   #58
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shedden maybe failed the ride test.
Win for Turkington?

Gutted for Lloyd in that last race too.
Old 16 Apr 2017, 17:57 (Ref:3727148)   #59
FFSM
Rookie

FFSM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by slummingangel View Post
Why did the Camera cut to the winner crossing the line from that 3 car battle?
Always happens. Major bugbear of mine that they always cut to the winner crossing the line, whatever is going on behind.

I guess it might annoy sponsors if it didn't happen, but it's a shame that comes ahead of entertainment. The only way to make sure you see it is to be there I guess!
Old 16 Apr 2017, 17:58 (Ref:3727149)   #60
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
So...after all that, we aren't really sure what's happened.

What an odd meeting. 3 fantastic, drama filled races though.
Old 16 Apr 2017, 18:52 (Ref:3727155)   #61
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Prayers with young Billy Monger tonight.

Why BTCC race 3 was started with the conditions clearly terrible? Whose call is that? Thankfully just some bent cars, but that looked like lunacy.

Really impressed with the two Toyotas, that's two meets on the bounce they've been right on it.

Perplexed as to how young Sutton seems to now have a handle on the Subaru now and JP nowhere. Has the old man lost it? Still, a better showing than Cole and Price who look like fish out of water.

Really good drive by Mr Moffat, pleased for him to get that first one on the board.

Senna Procter looking like a man to watch for the future.

Liked Dave Newshams move on Sutton, a man who never gives up. Kind of sorry he was only fifth at the flag, but I'm sure Norlin will be well pleased with their venture into BTCC.
Old 16 Apr 2017, 18:59 (Ref:3727156)   #62
FFSM
Rookie

Thought PO'N was a little insensitive with Mark Proctor. The guy was clearly upset by Billy Monger's accident.

Incidentally, it reminded me a little of Proctor's own horrendous crash with a stationary Carl Breeze at Oulton, which happened right in front of me. The sense of impeding doom as the field all tried to avoid Breeze - then finally the sickening smash - is burned into my memory.
Old 16 Apr 2017, 19:03 (Ref:3727159)   #63
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
Quote:
AMENDED RESULT: Gordon Shedden has been excluded from R6 after his car failed post race ride height checks. More at http://www.btcc.net .
Shedden officially excluded, handing Turkington the win and Ingram a very decent little Championship lead.

Must have been a difficult one for the stewards. On one hand if it was accident damage then he deserved to keep it, on the other hand it could set a precedent for other teams to follow. Lower the car illegally, give someone a bump, blame said bump.

What I will say though is that Honda must be praying for plenty more rain. Shedden drove like a man on wets carving through a field of guys tip-toeing on slicks. The setup on that car is incredible.
Old 16 Apr 2017, 19:06 (Ref:3727160)   #64
porsche962fan
Veteran

I think Colin Turkington will win the title , remember we still have 3 tracks which are VERY good to WSR , Oulton, Croft and Knockhill
Old 16 Apr 2017, 19:13 (Ref:3727162)   #65
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Perplexed as to how young Sutton seems to now have a handle on the Subaru now and JP nowhere. Has the old man lost it? Still, a better showing than Cole and Price who look like fish out of water.

the old man is 23rd in the standings with just 4 points after 2 events

while Colin Turkington is now 2nd in the standings with around 70 points , what a contrast
Old 16 Apr 2017, 19:13 (Ref:3727163)   #66
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
Quote:
Originally Posted by 850Estate View Post
Must have been a difficult one for the stewards. On one hand if it was accident damage then he deserved to keep it, on the other hand it could set a precedent for other teams to follow. Lower the car illegally, give someone a bump, blame said bump.
I'd rather see Turks get a win over Shedden, but I have to agree it's very contreversial and Shedden probably deserves to keep it. On the other hand a very mixed top 10 in the championship without some much bigger names!

--

Can't see Plato sticking around much longer if these low results continue - I know the Brands crash took away a chance at a couple of top ten finishes and it is only race 2, but at this rate I wouldn't be suprised if this is his last year in the BTCC.

Hope poor Monger is OK

Last edited by luckn002; 16 Apr 2017 at 19:18.
Old 16 Apr 2017, 19:28 (Ref:3727165)   #67
MrAero
Rookie

MrAero should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the Subaru CoG adjustment they have a choice of two factors on a sliding scale. I wonder if they went with different choices for Plato and Sutton, thus explaining such a difference in performance and not something that could be fixed over the weekend?
Old 16 Apr 2017, 19:59 (Ref:3727171)   #68
FFSM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAero View Post
With the Subaru CoG adjustment they have a choice of two factors on a sliding scale. I wonder if they went with different choices for Plato and Sutton, thus explaining such a difference in performance and not something that could be fixed over the weekend?
You would think that JP will be getting his engineers to look very closely at Ash's setup and see if it works for him too, if he hasn't already.

Must be very frustrating for him being number 2 in the team again
Old 16 Apr 2017, 20:00 (Ref:3727172)   #69
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
Seems to be a lot of talk about driving standards again - I've read about both Epps and M. Jackson complaining in the last five minutes! Very few penalties given out too so it doesn't look like its a problem going away soon...

Very strong words from Jackson: "I’m immensely frustrated. We have ended up alongside people who have ruined our weekend and the driving standards out there have been a complete shambles; they are a complete disgrace. There are drivers on track who you know you can go wheel to wheel with without a problem, but there are others where you don’t know what they will do – and I’m not always sure they do either.”

Something else to pick up on - seemed to be a lot of safety car periods go amiss. Look at the end of R2, Simpsons car stranded in the middle of the road. Very dangerous, especially after Monger's horrific crash.

-----

On a more positive note good to see more teams closer to the front than at Brands:

- 888 MG were running well in R1 and Lloyd was unlucky to lose what may have been a top 5/6 after Shedden's exclusion
- AMD had both cars running in the points at times though seemed to get caught up in many accidents
- Sutton showed that the Subaru is still competitive... at least 1 of the cars!
- BTC Norlin. Not just Newsham but Smiley too is exceeding my expectations of what I thought were backmarkers before Brands
- Maximum Motorsport. Strong at Brands but worthy of mension by wiping the floor with the Motorbase cars.

- HARD were unlucky, both Hill and Epps could've gotten a podium today before exclusion / contact.
- Same with Motorbase, I think Jackson can win R1 at Thruxton with no ballast.

Last edited by luckn002; 16 Apr 2017 at 20:16.
Old 16 Apr 2017, 20:29 (Ref:3727179)   #70
porsche962fan
Veteran

I sometimes wonder if they should split up the starting grid

say the first 1-20 normal start and the ones who qualified in 21 to 32 start about 2 seconds later to try avoid accidents a bit more
Old 16 Apr 2017, 21:01 (Ref:3727187)   #71
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is really strange how huge the gap between Sutton and JP is and I wonder what is the case. I was also expecting more from Josh Price. It may be his first season but take Sutton's results from debut season for instance...
Old 16 Apr 2017, 21:15 (Ref:3727190)   #72
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
BLiTZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A frustrating day to be a Honda fan that's for sure! Gutted for Shedden who needed the points and for Matt for being the guinea pig in the first attempt at race 3.

Sutton impressed, hope he can keep the momentum up for the rest of the season. Good drives from Cook also. I didn't feel like Modfat's win was particularly hard fought nowhere near the same as Neal's first win that they insisted on ramming down everyone's throat.

Seems like driving standards throughout the day were shocking. Major accidents in every race, Clios upside down in both races, Monger's incident (which I find appalling that the commentators made no reference to other than calling it a 'clean up operation', after two hours of waiting for an update, it'd have been nice to know if the poor bugger was alive or not!), big smashes in the Porsches and Ginettas. I know the occasional bump is expected and adds excitement, but a lot of damage and expensive repairs throughout the paddock.
Old 16 Apr 2017, 22:04 (Ref:3727195)   #73
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Was gonna stay that Flash and Tingram's gap over the others shows they know when to go for it and when to take the points, before Flash was excluded. Shame really, because the way he held that moment at the craners was all too reminiscent of that Rockingham turn 1 slide in the wet
Old 16 Apr 2017, 23:12 (Ref:3727219)   #74
STAR Driver
Rookie

United Kingdom
STAR Driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckn002 View Post
Something else to pick up on - seemed to be a lot of safety car periods go amiss. Look at the end of R2, Simpsons car stranded in the middle of the road. Very dangerous, especially after Monger's horrific crash.
This surprised me as well; I thought it might even be a red flag if they didn't think they could clear the car quickly. I'm sure it would have been a safety car if Simpson's crash had happened earlier in the race. It's not the first time a late-race incident has been dealt in such a way; I know they may want to avoid spoiling the drama of the race, but just because the race is nearly over doesn't mean an incident is suddenly less likely. Esepcially in this case, they could easily made use of the 3 laps they can add to the race distance due to a safety car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Why BTCC race 3 was started with the conditions clearly terrible? Whose call is that? Thankfully just some bent cars, but that looked like lunacy.
Wet starts are a bit more difficult to call, but when you have cars going off on the warmup laps, it should tell you something. Plus the fact a front-running driver is heard on live TV questioning whether they should be starting the race.
Old 16 Apr 2017, 23:49 (Ref:3727224)   #75
FFSM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Was gonna stay that Flash and Tingram's gap over the others shows they know when to go for it and when to take the points, before Flash was excluded. Shame really, because the way he held that moment at the craners was all too reminiscent of that Rockingham turn 1 slide in the wet
Tom's really impressed me so far. He's learned from his (sometimes self-inflicted) misfortune in previous years and is showing a maturity in his approach that certain drivers twice his age have never mastered.

I hope he's still there or thereabouts come the finale.
Closed Thread