Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 21 Jul 2003, 10:52 (Ref:666940)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Where can I buy cheap / second hand race suits?

Does anyone know where I can buy a cheap or second hand race suit just for basic karting use.

I used to visit the Grand Prix Racewear shop in south west London now and again, but now ive moved back to Bham so cannot visit anymore. They used to have second hand race suits (I think) with sponsers on etc.

Does anyone know where I can buy one from?

Cheers.

Ben.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 11:03 (Ref:666953)   #2
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you want a karting suit or a racesuit.

Karting = scuffproof
Racing = fireproof
Old 21 Jul 2003, 11:47 (Ref:666999)   #3
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Fireproof please!
Old 21 Jul 2003, 12:25 (Ref:667049)   #4
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Demon Tweeks used to sell used racesuits, not sure if they still do.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 12:45 (Ref:667068)   #5
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dont know what you want it for but FIA label expires at the end of this season. So if you are looking to compete you will need to find one that is under a year old so it has the new label on it.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 20:50 (Ref:667627)   #6
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by simon drabble
Dont know what you want it for but FIA label expires at the end of this season. So if you are looking to compete you will need to find one that is under a year old so it has the new label on it.
What does this mean? You have to buy a new suit each year?

I have Sparco nomex racing gloves from 2000, are they "out of use"?

Last edited by Sodemo; 21 Jul 2003 at 20:50.
Old 22 Jul 2003, 06:41 (Ref:667955)   #7
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
look in the Blue book for the expiry dates, gloves are not covered nor are boots and underwear but suits and helmets have a code which has a shelf life. The end of this year sees a lot of suits become redundant
Old 22 Jul 2003, 06:45 (Ref:667958)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Its about once every five years TM. The good news is that the cost af a race suit seems to have been pegged at 2000 prices. Even helmets are getting cheaper.
Old 22 Jul 2003, 08:11 (Ref:668017)   #9
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
good timing for me then as all my stuffs on this years xmas list! Demon tweaks are based in Brum arent they, so cant be too hard to nip over there, maybe even get a bargain on ex display stuff?
Old 22 Jul 2003, 08:20 (Ref:668026)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
DT are in Wrexham
Old 22 Jul 2003, 08:30 (Ref:668034)   #11
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
ahh . . . .close ! well, relative to Sussex anyway, its seems the same distance on the phone!
Old 22 Jul 2003, 08:48 (Ref:668042)   #12
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Chinese whispers strike again!

Don't panic! The FIA suits do NOT expire this year even at International level. (Blue Book Q 9.1)

Norme 1986 (the old standard) has been replaced with 8856-2000 for International use. However, the MSA has no plans to ban Norme 1986 "for the foreseeable future, and even if we did there would be a 3-year lead in". (Source: MSA technical department)

For racing only, non-FIA suits will be banned from 1/1/2005 (i.e. Proban, 1-layer Nomex etc) but both Norme 1986 and 8856-2000 will be acceptable. Proban still OK for speed events, rallies etc.

Hope that clears up any misconceptions.
Old 22 Jul 2003, 08:50 (Ref:668045)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Thanks for that. I'm about two thousand miles from my blue book. Curiously enough that's about the same distance by phone from Demon Tweeks! Spooky!
Old 22 Jul 2003, 08:51 (Ref:668047)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by zefarelly
ahh . . . .close ! well, relative to Sussex anyway, its seems the same distance on the phone!
What about that outfit at Brands Hatch?
Old 22 Jul 2003, 08:54 (Ref:668049)   #15
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Secondhand suits are sometimes on Ebay
Old 22 Jul 2003, 09:08 (Ref:668066)   #16
simon drabble
Veteran

are you sure about that Midgetman? I was under the impression that I had to replace my racesuit at the end of this year to comply with International FIA rules, Grand Prix racewear told me that but then they are in the business of selling them ..!! Actually that is not fair as I have always found them and Demon Tweeks extremely helpful
Old 22 Jul 2003, 09:18 (Ref:668071)   #17
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a bit like the LED rainlight idea that went round last year - utter boll*cks!
Old 22 Jul 2003, 09:25 (Ref:668080)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by JR Ewing
It's a bit like the LED rainlight idea that went round last year - utter boll*cks!
Hmm,

Bit too much coffee this morning JR?
Old 22 Jul 2003, 12:29 (Ref:668231)   #19
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes Simon, totally sure. I'm in the industry myself as manufacturer/retailer.

www.fia.com has the regs: "End of validity of FIA Norme 1986 is 31/12/2004" Importantly, gloves and shoes are only homologated to FIA1986 and they are exempt from this date, so the chap with the gloves needn't worry.

So you've got a year and a bit at International level, plus at least 3 years at National/Club level with an "old" FIA suit - although if it's like mine, it'll need replacing before then anyway.

They don't have a shelf life, although homologation has to be renewed by the manufacturer - that's a different point.

Like I said, Chinese whispers. I'm not in it to promote my company - it's not one of the "majors" listed above - I just hate seeing people ripped off by others who pretend to know better.

HTH
Old 22 Jul 2003, 12:30 (Ref:668232)   #20
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
BTW. Welcome to the forum Midgetman.
Old 22 Jul 2003, 12:32 (Ref:668235)   #21
midgetman
Veteran

Cheers Peter - got a link from an MG forum hence the "Midget" moniker.
Old 22 Jul 2003, 12:38 (Ref:668242)   #22
simon drabble
Veteran

I stand corrected! Thanks for the clarification does your shop have a website and discounts for 10/10thers??!!?
As an aside I was a bit peeved to have to replace some gloves (1 year old) last week as the stitching between the leather and the nonex had come undone on a finger. This is the third pair of gloves in 4 years!
Old 22 Jul 2003, 12:38 (Ref:668243)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
'Car' or 'Owner's' Club?
Old 22 Jul 2003, 12:40 (Ref:668248)   #24
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by simon drabble
.......As an aside I was a bit peeved to have to replace some gloves (1 year old) last week as the stitching between the leather and the nonex had come undone on a finger. This is the third pair of gloves in 4 years!
For me its about five races! I think the quality is dropping dramatically.
Old 22 Jul 2003, 12:50 (Ref:668262)   #25
Ntrprise
Rookie

Ntrprise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I purchased a load of Nomex long shorts and long sleeved vests from the Arrows F1 auction last month. I've got some on e-bay to see what they are worth. Any offers?