Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 27 Oct 2004, 12:51 (Ref:1137726)   #51
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Agree with you but I wear a full face helmet.
Old 27 Oct 2004, 12:52 (Ref:1137728)   #52
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
BTW. I doubt if I go more than 140mph anyway.
Old 27 Oct 2004, 12:54 (Ref:1137730)   #53
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by 1200Datto27
I'll back up the comment about the damage that can be done when a windscreen is hit. I was doing around 160 at PI on the mainstraight, when I hit a seagull. It hit right in front of me on the widscreen, hard enough to make the interior glass detach from the laminates, and showered me with fine glass. My racesuit and helmet where ruined, due to the glass embedded in them, and the chunks taken out of the helmet, But I didn't get anything in to my eyes, due to having a full face helmet, and the visor down.
I'll bet it wasn't just your outer garments that were ruined...did anyone from the screen maker have a look at it, was it a fault in that screen, or is this to be expected at that speed?
Old 27 Oct 2004, 13:13 (Ref:1137748)   #54
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Peter, sorry about that, I read it as you used the glasses like safty goggles in an open face helmet.

Stephen, it happened to fast for anything like that apparently due to the age of the screen (approx 7 years), and the UV that it was exposed to over that period of time, that bondings between the glass and laminate layers had started to degrade, weakening the structure. The crack that I had happen earlier in the day when I clipped a kerb a bit too hard didn't help either, but I didn't take much notice of it when it happened, as it was right down in the bottom corner of the passenger side.
Old 27 Oct 2004, 13:27 (Ref:1137765)   #55
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Peter, sorry about that, I read it as you used the glasses like safty goggles in an open face helmet.
No problem.

Quote:
apparently due to the age of the screen (approx 7 years), and the UV that it was exposed to over that period of time, that bondings between the glass and laminate layers had started to degrade, weakening the structure.
A good lesson learned there. Possibly the best thing to do is replace the screen every three years then. Even if it isn't marked.
Old 29 Oct 2004, 19:07 (Ref:1140123)   #56
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was down at Rally Design today,think they had a cheap pair of racing overals in there clutter box,give them a ring!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 29 Oct 2004, 19:08 (Ref:1140125)   #57
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
By the way ,what size are you looking for.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 31 Oct 2004, 08:27 (Ref:1141078)   #58
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Ecktic,

This thread was started in July 2003, I dragged it back because it has some useful info re the lifespan of race suits.

As a point of interest I am about to buy a new suit to FIA regs and the "bespoke" suits are a bit, but not much, more expensive than an off the shelf model. I'm going for a "bespoke" suit.
Old 31 Oct 2004, 19:06 (Ref:1141489)   #59
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are bespoke suits more than on the floor or up against the wall models?
Old 31 Oct 2004, 19:19 (Ref:1141504)   #60
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Good question.
Old 2 Nov 2004, 09:54 (Ref:1142700)   #61
ianselva
Rookie

ianselva should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After seeing midgetmans comments about 1986 approval suits , I contacted Alan Putt who replied
"Regarding the overalls, it is the end of 2004 that the 1986 homologated overalls become extinct.
Alan Putt
Old 2 Nov 2004, 10:04 (Ref:1142707)   #62
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Not for FIA events.
Old 2 Nov 2004, 12:57 (Ref:1142821)   #63
ianselva
Rookie

See Appendix L of the International Sporting Code. Where it says "End of validity for the FIA 1986 standard for overalls, long underwaer , balaclavas , socks and shoes is 31/12/04.
Old 2 Nov 2004, 13:28 (Ref:1142836)   #64
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Apologies I misread your post. You are correct.
Old 2 Nov 2004, 20:18 (Ref:1143220)   #65
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ianselva - who's Alan Putt - is he at the MSA? I haven't spoken to them in a while now.

AFAIK Norme 86 is acceptable in UK races, and like a lot of "continental" racers I've got a perfectly good set of low-mileage, late model FIA-86 overalls for sale. Suit someone called Max or who has a good pair of embroidery un-pickers.
Old 3 Nov 2004, 08:33 (Ref:1143587)   #66
ianselva
Rookie

he is a member of the FIA historic commitee and is/was one of the eligability scrutineers for FIA papers.
Old 3 Nov 2004, 19:30 (Ref:1144150)   #67
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ah, then he's only talking about continental racing then. Thanks.

Max
Old 5 Nov 2004, 09:34 (Ref:1145389)   #68
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's loads of possibly cheap old and new FIA suit at the Minardi auction in a couple of weeks
Old 19 Feb 2010, 02:31 (Ref:2635994)   #69
raceimage
Rookie

United States
Mooresville, North Carolina, USA
raceimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know where you can get used racing suits.

We offer used racing suits from the USA. Top of the line at super low prices. Other racing apparel and items as well. Please visit us at www.raceimage.com.
Cheers!

Last edited by MagnetON; 19 Feb 2010 at 17:17. Reason: Approved.