Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 4 Oct 2010, 04:19 (Ref:2768896)   #1
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
DanicaFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tony Kanaan - Free Agent

Well, bad news for Andretti Autosport. 7-11 has withdrawn thier sponsorship for next year. Tony Kanaan was released by AA and is now a free agent.

Im shocked !
Old 4 Oct 2010, 04:56 (Ref:2768904)   #2
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DF, I'm thinking you got this from Miller? Here's his response on his Facebook page:

Robin Miller ‎"7-11 told Michael they were out and TK was informed he should look for a ride. This comes after he signed a 5-year deal a couple years ago and turned down Ganassi"

This is effing bad. I'm sure Tony will land in a seat, but if this means that 7-11 is pulling out of IndyCar entirely....very effing bad.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 06:59 (Ref:2768918)   #3
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagtechOhio View Post
DF, I'm thinking you got this from Miller? Here's his response on his Facebook page:

Robin Miller ‎"7-11 told Michael they were out and TK was informed he should look for a ride. This comes after he signed a 5-year deal a couple years ago and turned down Ganassi"

This is effing bad. I'm sure Tony will land in a seat, but if this means that 7-11 is pulling out of IndyCar entirely....very effing bad.
It was also mentioned on Speed Report and there have been some "Tweets" on Twitter that are confirming this. I hope it isnt true but Im thinking it is. Yes, he signed a 5 year deal 2 years ago with AA.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 07:42 (Ref:2768934)   #4
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What I'm wondering about is whether 7-11 has pulled out of Indycar entirely. Their deal was with AA, so now that is gone. It was a primary for Kanaan's car and associate for Danica's.

So Tony is out of luck, no doubt. Maybe that means AA has to buy him out, if they can't fund a car for him to race in?

I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens with 7-11, but it doesn't seem likely that they would dump primary sponsorship on Kanaan's car so they could move it to someone else.

If that's what happens, no big drama...like what Z-Line did. If they have pulled out entirely, that is a domino falling. A lot bigger than Stargate Worlds.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 12:53 (Ref:2769073)   #5
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Merge, please.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 13:28 (Ref:2769106)   #6
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That comes as quite a surprise.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 16:18 (Ref:2769253)   #7
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was said a few years ago publicly that the 7/11 sponsorship was worth $6 million a year and assuming that stayed the same to now, then that is a big hit. Not only it is doubtful you'd find the same amount in funding, but that car making the grid next year must be doubtful as well and might force a contraction at andretti.

I'm sure they can get better value for their money elsewhere, so best wishes to 7/11.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 16:45 (Ref:2769271)   #8
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
7-11 added to their deal in Nov. 2009, when associate sponsorship was also extended to Danica's car for this year.

If it was $6M before then, which is pretty close to Micheal's total estimate for an annual budget, then it was even higher until Saturday.

The damage assessment won't be accurate until 7-11's actions are disclosed. The only sound so far is Miller mumbles.

If they don't sponsor another team, the sucking sound will get louder. Like when you get to the bottom of your slurpee cup.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 19:28 (Ref:2769372)   #9
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
Graham has a 2 year deal with TBC starting next year. It was heavily rumored this year that he would end up at Target Chip Ganassi Racing. He has not made public yet as to what team he would end up with. If TK really is really out at AA next year, that opens a door for Graham. I do think Graham will be at Chip Ganassi next year but I wouldnt seal that deal yet. We have to wait and see how AA unfolds.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 19:37 (Ref:2769377)   #10
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
Jag, unfortunately, its true, 7-11 has pulled it's sponsorship from the IndyCar Series. Sources here around Indy are all reporting it. This is bad.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 20:07 (Ref:2769396)   #11
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
DF, I understand the AA deal is killed, I'm just trying to nail down for sure if 7-11 has withdrawn from the Series completely. Miller hasn't replied yet.

Been working on a proposal to a company they do business with. This blows a hole right through it.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 21:00 (Ref:2769427)   #12
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
Well Jag, I hope your proposal goes good but unfortunately, 7-11 has withdrew from the Series completely. This information is coming here out of Indianapolis.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 21:54 (Ref:2769461)   #13
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
7-11 will remain an associate sponsor to Danica but no primary for TK. As of now, he is a free agent.
Old 5 Oct 2010, 04:16 (Ref:2769552)   #14
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Yes, that is where it stands now, which is less than total disaster. The associate sponsorship remains on the #7 car.

The remaining question is whether 7-11 decides to participate elsewhere, as a sponsor for another team or for the Series. There is no word to suggest that will happen, but it has not been ruled out by any public statements as of yet.

There is always the possibility that they are bargain hunting: ending the relationship with AA saves them the reported $3M salary that Kanaan receives from his AA contract. So 7-11 could buy just as much exposure with another team, for a lot less money.
Old 5 Oct 2010, 04:38 (Ref:2769557)   #15
MarcosAmbroseFan
Racer

New Zealand
Hamilton
MarcosAmbroseFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://motorsport.com/news/article.a...884&FS=INDYCAR
Old 5 Oct 2010, 05:07 (Ref:2769563)   #16
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Cheers M.A., that's the one. We'll see what's next.
Old 1 Nov 2010, 04:16 (Ref:2783220)   #17
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
According to Andretti Autosport's web site, TK has left, or is in the process of leaving. He's a real gutsy driver, though this year I wonder if he hadn't quite recovered from his accident at Indy last year?

http://www.andrettiautosport.com/Home.html

however, on the sponsors page, 7-11 are still there as a primary sponsor.

http://www.andrettiautosport.com/Sponsors.html

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 1 Nov 2010 at 04:25.
Old 1 Nov 2010, 08:12 (Ref:2783255)   #18
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
According to Andretti Autosport's web site, TK has left, or is in the process of leaving. He's a real gutsy driver, though this year I wonder if he hadn't quite recovered from his accident at Indy last year?

http://www.andrettiautosport.com/Home.html

however, on the sponsors page, 7-11 are still there as a primary sponsor.

http://www.andrettiautosport.com/Sponsors.html

TK is gone unfortunately. They both reached an agreement to terminate the contract. 7-11 is staying on as an associate sponsor on Danica's car.
Old 1 Nov 2010, 15:50 (Ref:2783496)   #19
schitarella
Rookie

schitarella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagtechOhio View Post

There is always the possibility that they are bargain hunting: ending the relationship with AA saves them the reported $3M salary that Kanaan receives from his AA contract. So 7-11 could buy just as much exposure with another team, for a lot less money.

Hi, sorry i go off topic but how accurate is 3M figure for salary for TK? Seems to be high considering all things do you really think AA has been paying 3M?
Old 1 Nov 2010, 15:58 (Ref:2783503)   #20
PabloTeK
Racer

United Kingdom
Err... Can I have a sports question?
PabloTeK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by schitarella View Post
Hi, sorry i go off topic but how accurate is 3M figure for salary for TK? Seems to be high considering all things do you really think AA has been paying 3M?
3 million dollars isn't THAT much for a top-level racer, baring in mind decent F1 drivers (I consider TK a decent IndyCar driver) get consierably more than that.

I'd imagine the creme-de-la-creme of IndyCar are on more, a lot more.
Old 1 Nov 2010, 15:58 (Ref:2783504)   #21
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
TK could be a great addition to the American Le Mans Series.
Old 11 Nov 2010, 15:11 (Ref:2788602)   #22
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Kanaan will do some testing with De Ferran at Sebring next week, but only as a "Favor" to Gil, according to the Indy Star.

Kanaan told the Star that he even called Matos to tell him about it and that he was merely doing it as a favor.

De ferran would like to run two cars and Kanaan would get one of those seats, but right now, they need the $$$ to just run one car.

After the test, Kanaan goes to Brazil to meet with potential sponsors down there.

That's the latest from the IndyCar Grapevine.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 11 Nov 2010, 15:51 (Ref:2788622)   #23
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope it works out, I think that would be a great thing for all parties involved.
Old 11 Nov 2010, 19:21 (Ref:2788758)   #24
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
That's a bit disconcerting, the "no funding for either car" bit. No HP support for next season?