Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 4 Aug 2012, 11:08 (Ref:3115926)   #251
Blackpearl
Racer

Blackpearl is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
Priority at Timaru is the track resealing program and once that has been completed and paid for then the next items on the list will be attended too. Thing is the club pays its bills on time and will not get itself into a debt that it cannot service. Meanwhile if anyone out there has a few surplas $$$$ I know of a very good home for them.

With Teretonga I think that it is a case of watch this space, they are not too far away from a totally new pit facility on the outside of the circuit. My understanding is that they are working through the some of the last areas of concern before starting on the project.

With many of the personnal of both clubs having some Scottish origions one can understand why they make sure they have the money in the bank to pay for projects rather than borrow and hope they can keep the creditors at bay .
teretonga has been going on about that for the last 4 odd and more years.
Old 5 Aug 2012, 05:11 (Ref:3116208)   #252
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpearl View Post
Yes and they will not own any money on the job when it is completed too. It called getting all the funding in place first.
Old 5 Aug 2012, 05:18 (Ref:3116211)   #253
DX20VT
Racer

DX20VT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Exactly, better than ending up like this....

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/motorsp...ack-3m-in-debt
Old 5 Aug 2012, 06:20 (Ref:3116217)   #254
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I was under the belief that the SSCC wasn't short of money. Back in in 08-09? I remember filling out a questionare about whether they should do plan A or plan B. Since then thet've been arguing.

Teretonga is a fantastic track but not the safest and pretty primitive when the rain arrives
Old 5 Aug 2012, 11:06 (Ref:3116282)   #255
Blackpearl
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus_nz View Post
I was under the belief that the SSCC wasn't short of money. Back in in 08-09? I remember filling out a questionare about whether they should do plan A or plan B. Since then thet've been arguing.

Teretonga is a fantastic track but not the safest and pretty primitive when the rain arrives
yep, then they built the control tower, priorities
Old 5 Aug 2012, 11:08 (Ref:3116284)   #256
Blackpearl
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX20VT View Post
Exactly, better than ending up like this....

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/motorsp...ack-3m-in-debt
wow a link to a 4 year old article.

taupo is still alive.
Old 5 Aug 2012, 18:41 (Ref:3116382)   #257
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
wow a link to a 4 year old article.

taupo is still alive.
How silly, putting that link in
Old 5 Aug 2012, 19:27 (Ref:3116402)   #258
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
yep, then they built the control tower, priorities
That tower wouldn't look out of place at an airport! I always thought it was over the top considering the tracks real short-comings, safety for drivers and cars, have been ignored. I know where I would have spent that money.
Old 5 Aug 2012, 21:39 (Ref:3116446)   #259
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_to_it View Post
That tower wouldn't look out of place at an airport! I always thought it was over the top considering the tracks real short-comings, safety for drivers and cars, have been ignored. I know where I would have spent that money.
Sometimes one has to consider the safety and the comfort of the people actually running the event too, my understanding is that the old building had been condemmed as an unsafe structure. For sure I know of the odd time that I had to climb up the ladder attached to a wall held together by borer dust and bird crap that it did not look very secure and the gale that blew through the place wasn't flash either.
Old 5 Aug 2012, 22:18 (Ref:3116460)   #260
flyingduck
Veteran

flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
Sometimes one has to consider the safety and the comfort of the people actually running the event too, my understanding is that the old building had been condemmed as an unsafe structure. For sure I know of the odd time that I had to climb up the ladder attached to a wall held together by borer dust and bird crap that it did not look very secure and the gale that blew through the place wasn't flash either.
I will put the old bus from Puke as more of a danger than any other structure in NZ motorsport thank goodness they decided to improve that.
Old 13 Aug 2012, 21:16 (Ref:3119519)   #261
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
RogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting happenings in the world of MSNZ, TMC (MPL), Tier 1 and the MSNZ Summer Series.

The have been two media items in the last 24 hours which indicate that the wheels may have actually fallen off.

The first came out from MSNZ :

Media Statement

Monday 13 August 2012

MotorSport NZ begins dialogue with V8 SuperTourers

MotorSport NZ has met with V8 SuperTourers to discuss a way forward for the betterment of the Sport.

The meeting between MotorSport NZ’s president Shayne Harris and board members of V8 SuperTourers held last Friday was very positive and opens the way for further discussion in the coming weeks.

MotorSport NZ president Shayne Harris is encouraged by the talks.

"I'm optimistic we can now move forward and find a way for the country's top race classes to work together" said Mr Harris.

"This is a really positive move not just for the competitors involved but for the country’s circuits, officials and race fans."

Ends

Issued by: MotorSport New Zealand

The second was an article from Speedcafe :

V8 SuperTourers eyeing Challenge Cup/NZV8 merger
Monday 13th August, 2012

The future of New Zealand motorsport took a twist today with the possibility emerging that the NZV8 Championship could soon be combined with V8 SuperTourers’ second-tier series, the V8 Challenge Cup.

In the biggest indication yet that the future of NZV8s as a standalone category is under threat, MotorSport NZ – under which the NZV8 class is run – has issued a public statement suggesting a compromise is afoot.

After a landmark meeting between V8 SuperTourers and MotorSport NZ last Friday, V8ST chief executive Didier Debae told Speedcafe.com that ultimately there can only be one top level touring car class operating.

“If you understand what the talks are about there will only be one left, basically,” Debae said.

“Because there seems to be very little entries in the other championship we are going to end up taking over that part of the business.

“And that is taking over the cars that have been built for the series and amalgamate them with the Challenge Cup (which is currently being run for the existing NZV8 chassis).”

Debae, who came in to replace Paul Radisich as CEO of V8ST a couple of months ago, also suggested there could be a name change for the V8 Challenge Cup if an amalgamation takes place.

Meanwhile, MotorSport NZ – which recently underwent a significant internal shake-up – says that the talks with V8STs have been positive.

“I’m optimistic we can now move forward and find a way for the country’s top race classes to work together” MotorSport New Zealand president Shayne Harris said in a statement.

“This is a really positive move not just for the competitors involved but for the country’s circuits, officials and race fans.”

NZV8s could not be contacted by Speedcafe.com for comment on this story today.

While there is probably "spin" in both of the media items, it seems pretty clear that things are far from well with the financial position of TMC/MPL, the lack of entrants in the New Generation NZV8 class and the lack of credible support classes for Tier 1.

The MSNZ Tier 1 Summer Series appears to either be a non-starter or a shadow of what (according to MSNZ's President) should be the pinnacle of NZ motor sport.

It seems that MSNZ are now going "cap in hand" to SuperTourers to try and salvage something to save wholesale embarrassment in the coming season. It seems very ironic considering MSNZ's past hostility to SuperTourers and the fact that MSNZ's GM is a director of the company that is suing SuperTourers.

Now this is all happening, just watch the finger pointing. I bet MSNZ Executive will take no responsibility. They were the people charged by MSNZ members to look after member's interests. MSNZ have a majority 60% interest in TMC/MPL and had an obligation to exercise that interest for the benefit of member clubs.

Despite being on notice for the last few years that there were issues with TMC that needed to be dealt with, the Executive either did nothing, didn't have the ability to work out what they had to do or did too little too late.

Anyone who had the impertinence to raise these issues were chastised and labelled "stirrers".

The only positive from all of this is that the outcome may be in the best interests of motor sport. However, if MSNZ Executive had actually listened to the concerns of members rather than treating them as irritating scaremongers, then there would have been a lot less grief and MSNZ would have been able to sit down with SuperTourers with more cards to play with.
Old 13 Aug 2012, 22:09 (Ref:3119544)   #262
supercar_freek
Rookie

supercar_freek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think V8ST hold all the cards and NZV8's have nothing left to bargain with.
Old 14 Aug 2012, 01:18 (Ref:3119577)   #263
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Wonder if the court action will be quietly dropped...?

Would save the clubs and competitors a lot of money!
Old 14 Aug 2012, 01:21 (Ref:3119580)   #264
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you would think so in this case GB, there is no point in carrying on with 'sueing' people. The costs are astronomical and i had heard that there was a counter-sue on the table as well
Old 14 Aug 2012, 02:31 (Ref:3119592)   #265
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
you would think so in this case GB, there is no point in carrying on with 'sueing' people. The costs are astronomical and i had heard that there was a counter-sue on the table as well
If that were correct, it's a classic play (usually a bluff). You sue me and I'll think of some reason to sue you back. Then there are potentially substantial costs and risks for both parties, and often the first party reconsiders.
Old 14 Aug 2012, 03:07 (Ref:3119602)   #266
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes, totally agree. Its also a very expensive excercise for someone to go through. Its all fine being puffy-chested and threatening that you are going to sue, but to actually go ahead and pull it off, totally different kettle of fish.

The last company i worked for threatened to sue me (cos i left them under conditions that could have been deemed sue-able) and i got all worried etc, but my lawyer (an expensive 'thug') just said bring it on, they have to do all the leg work and they soon realise that its jus too much and they back off.

Often in NZ when i hear the words 'sueing someone' i instantly think its just a knee-jerk reaction that will settle down in a month or two once they realise the uphill battle they have.
Old 21 Aug 2012, 11:00 (Ref:3122485)   #267
KRDG
Rookie

KRDG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What was Mr Short doing at TV 3 in the last few days I wonder?

Cant be MPL business as he HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MOTORSPORT NEW ZEALAND AND/OR MPL anymore.

What rubbish.

The same team are doing the same bidding for the same organisations...
Old 21 Aug 2012, 11:24 (Ref:3122498)   #268
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRDG View Post

maybe there to pay this alleged outstanding bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan View Post
Hi all,it is rumored that TMC have withheld the last payment to TV3 for the Taupo round due to comments made about the NZV8 class by the TV3 presenters at the V8 Supercars at Hamilton.

I have replayed the commentary and can someone explain what the presenters said wrong. From what I heard they were reminiscing about all of the fond memories they had while racing in the class etc.

Also it has been brought to my attention that the coverage from the ITM 400 was at no cost to any of the competitors. If this is the case then I am confused as:

The Taupo round of the summer series was mid March.

The Hamilton V8 Super car round was mid April, serveral weeks later.

The humoured outstanding monies to TV3 are reported to be between $50,000 - $100,000.

TV3 have not been paid due to comments made several weeks after the final round.

The round where these supposed comments were made was in fact a free TV presentation for all of the supporting classes.

If there is any truth to the above then who the **** is responsible. We talk about us competitors bringing the sport into disrepute, then who ever is responsible needs to be removed from any position of authority.

Bad decisions are made every day but if the press get a wind of this they will have a field day with it. The last thing we need is another cheap shot at our sport due to a grudge or negligence of one or a couple of people.

As you can see this is quite possibly the straw that has broken this camels back and I am ***** off. Does anybody know who would of made this decision and do they have a back bone and come on this site and put the facts right.
Old 21 Aug 2012, 11:50 (Ref:3122504)   #269
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
RogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRDG View Post

Cant be MPL business as he HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MOTORSPORT NEW ZEALAND AND/OR MPL anymore.

What rubbish.

The same team are doing the same bidding for the same organisations...
Seems the old team are still tied in with TMC/MPL and MSNZ despite the story that they have gone.

Fine is still a director of NZ V8 Touring Cars Ltd owned by MSNZ and Fine and Cooper are still directors of NZ Super Truck Racing Ltd owned by MPL.
Old 21 Aug 2012, 18:50 (Ref:3122662)   #270
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
Seems the old team are still tied in with TMC/MPL and MSNZ despite the story that they have gone.

Fine is still a director of NZ V8 Touring Cars Ltd owned by MSNZ and Fine and Cooper are still directors of NZ Super Truck Racing Ltd owned by MPL.
Interesting, then, that the Super Trucks will not only be at Levels this year but also Taupo and Ruapuna. I wonder why those tracks have decided the potential risk to their infrastructure from truck crashes is worth taking...
Old 21 Aug 2012, 22:23 (Ref:3122744)   #271
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Mr Revhead has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Because trucks bring in the crowds
Old 21 Aug 2012, 22:40 (Ref:3122746)   #272
flyingduck
Veteran

flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Southern man may be the best to answer this but I thought he had said the biggest issue that Levels had was the seal, I thought trucks would make this far worse?
Old 22 Aug 2012, 00:33 (Ref:3122772)   #273
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Revhead View Post
Because trucks bring in the crowds
Personally I hate truck racing because I hate trucks, and the damage they do to racetracks is severe when they come off, which they invariably do, not to mention the seal issues as mentioned above. Most European tracks and up until now all but Levels in NZ had banned them because of this.

But you are right, Revhead, they do indeed bring in the crowds. Bet you never see them at HD or indeed at Puke after their last foray there, though...
Old 22 Aug 2012, 00:37 (Ref:3122774)   #274
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Mr Revhead has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It is a different type of racing that's for sure! Lol
Yeah that puke incident was pretty scary. And the previous one where the cab came off.

I guess when you stand to pull in the biggest takings of your calander you can make some acceptions
Old 22 Aug 2012, 01:04 (Ref:3122778)   #275
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Revhead View Post
I guess when you stand to pull in the biggest takings of your calander you can make some acceptions
in Levels case, it will be their only income, unless they start rebuilding the club from the grassroots up. but that would require a massive cleanout........ not unlike what MSNZ requires.