Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Aug 2002, 21:23 (Ref:351708)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How can this 'one team domination' thing be stopped?

I think they should make a set of rules that means that no matter how much a team has, they can't outspend their rivals in pursuit of a big performance advantage. After all, Touring Cars and Superbikes implement this idea very well, so why can't F1 do something like this? Bernie and Max should consider making the rules more clear and strict to help produce more closer racing. Perhaps a horsepower limit and strict restrictions on car design would help produce a more evenly matched grid and therefore closer races.
Old 6 Aug 2002, 21:44 (Ref:351737)   #2
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is the freedom to pursue inovation that makes F1 special. Nothing really needs to be done except the rest of the field getting their acts together!
Old 6 Aug 2002, 21:47 (Ref:351746)   #3
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 should get a chassis maker to supply the whole grid. It would even out the playing field.
Old 6 Aug 2002, 22:15 (Ref:351767)   #4
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
weight penalties!!!! it works in most other series why not in F1??
Old 6 Aug 2002, 22:24 (Ref:351775)   #5
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
teams shouldn't be punished for doing well (even if it is Ferrari )
Old 6 Aug 2002, 22:32 (Ref:351786)   #6
bart_jacobs
Racer

bart_jacobs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you are right,altough i hope the other teams are going to get their acts together as it is producing boring races,and i don't like boring races...a formula like F3000 but with more tuning possibilities and more horsepower could be good for it...or that the teams get a chassis and built an engine or vice versa??
Old 6 Aug 2002, 23:32 (Ref:351834)   #7
MBR
Rookie

MBR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's the age old dilemma in sport. Can you buy a championship? Should there be a salary cap in team sports? Should everyone start out with the same soap box as in Soap Box Derby? Can millionaire alumni pay for a recruit's mother's operation? All you can do is hope to stop the abuses.
Old 6 Aug 2002, 23:37 (Ref:351839)   #8
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two ways. #1, the FIA does a major rules revamp, basically reshuffling the deck and sending the teams back to the drawing board.

#2, Willams and McLaren, and possibly Jordan, Renault, BAR and Toyota _really_ step up their games.

I'm not sure which is more likely...
Old 6 Aug 2002, 23:49 (Ref:351844)   #9
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Open up the rules, allow anything and everything. Just regulate safety, fuel consumption and spending.

SL
Old 7 Aug 2002, 01:04 (Ref:351862)   #10
Legend
Veteran

Legend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have an idea !

I have an idea but it will in a way do harm to the former history of F1. A new point system based on ratings like in chess, Tennis and some other form of sport. In that way it would be more fair, I believe. For example if the first rank player win a grand prix he must score less points than a lower ranked driver.
Old 7 Aug 2002, 02:17 (Ref:351882)   #11
fordtc87
Rookie

United States
Indianapolis, IN
fordtc87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with SL, it is a shame that creativity is punished today. Let them develop new things and try them out. Otherwise, impose a budget to limit the cost of a season.
Old 7 Aug 2002, 02:28 (Ref:351889)   #12
wishbone
Racer

wishbone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The simple solution is to limit the amount of testing, ie the top 3 teams in last years championship should be limited to say 5 test days this year, the next 3 teams say limit them to 10 days and all of the other can test as much as they like.

also limit the number of car that can be tested by one team at any given time, ferarri ran 4 cars at the same time on 2 different curcuits. if its a 2 car team then only 2 cars should be allowed to test.

ban the use of a test team, i belive ferrari has about 70 personal just for the for this purpose
Old 7 Aug 2002, 02:36 (Ref:351893)   #13
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by wishbone
The simple solution is to limit the amount of testing,
I don't see how this can be regulated in all honesty, Ferrari have 2 test tracks and nothing can stop them using that. Only a couple of years ago there was a 50 day testing rule, but every team (that could afford to) tested more than those 50 days.

I personally can't stand the Ferrari domination, but i agree with what Damon says, it's upto the other teams to up their game, just as it was when Williams or McLaren were dominating!
Old 7 Aug 2002, 03:13 (Ref:351921)   #14
Aussiefan

Yes, the FIA, Bernie etc should do nothing, it's upto the other teams to get upto Ferrari's level.

Old 7 Aug 2002, 03:14 (Ref:351922)   #15
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybee the other teams should be doing a better job.

Williams have a bad chasis
McLaren have a dud engine
Sauber are a second string team - need better engines.
Renault are developing
Jaguar are developing
Toyota are developing
etc etc etc

F1 has always had one or two teams dominating the season, it is the nature of the beast.
Old 7 Aug 2002, 09:38 (Ref:352089)   #16
billyblister
Racer

billyblister should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes, the FIA, Bernie etc should do nothing, it's upto the other teams to get upto Ferrari's level.
Its impossible for all the teams to do this.
Even if testing is limited Ferrari would still have the better car.
Weight penalties is IMO the best solution and although you might say teams souldnt be punished for doing well, it would only encourage Ferrari to try harder while evening out the field.
Of course it may take a season or two to fingure out exactly how much is added for each place.
Old 7 Aug 2002, 09:52 (Ref:352093)   #17
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this thread for real or it is supposed to be humorous? :confused:

Weight penalties...
Old 7 Aug 2002, 10:03 (Ref:352097)   #18
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Spread the wealth!!!!!

Bounty for the masses!!!!!!

Jeez, it's starting to sound like pre-revolution Russia in here.

If you want to REALLY ruin F1, impose even more restrictions to really water down the competition and give EVERYBODY a chance.

Alex Yoong 2004 WDC, ('cause it's his turn).

Does the world really need another IRL?
Old 7 Aug 2002, 11:00 (Ref:352131)   #19
05forever
Racer

05forever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok,

You don't like the bolshevik model of equality for teams, lets try econmoic rationaism theories. Let us allocate a number of "testing days" on the teams in terms of their finishing position 1st place team gets 10 days and the last team gets say 30 days.(or some equally arbitrary figures)

The lower place teams as in monopoly may use, keep or sell those days to either develop or raise cash, perhaps sauber may get engines by trading 10 testing days and Pall Mall to ferrari.

I know its out there but so are most of the other ideas about penalising performance.
Old 7 Aug 2002, 11:11 (Ref:352140)   #20
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
<sigh> It won't work. A lesser team would certainly find the extra testing time completely useless, since they don't have the money to experimet anyway. Heck, they often don't have enough money to actually carry their cars and crew to the testing track. So they will sell the time. THe rich teams will have the maximum available testing time, the difference is that thge others will not be able to test even if they could afford.

Besides, the idea is to stimulate them. Not to hold back the others. That is not capitalist model. It's still communism.
Old 7 Aug 2002, 11:14 (Ref:352142)   #21
Aussiefan

Quote:
Originally posted by billyblister

Its impossible for all the teams to do this.
Even if testing is limited Ferrari would still have the better car.
Well it's highly unlikely that ALL teams will be able to catch up to Ferrari but that's not what I meant. I was saying the challenge is in the hands of the rest of the teams, in particular Williams, McLaren, Renault etc, to catch up.

Ferrari's dominance won't last forever.

Old 7 Aug 2002, 11:26 (Ref:352150)   #22
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is ONE category in the world were no one team should be penalised. That is Formula 1. I hate Ferrari also, but to penalise them in raw racing is unfair. At touring car level, etc, it's fine, but F1 is the pinacle.

BUT - I do agree with changes that even it for EVERYONE. Eg, the one engine rule, limited testing etc. Component sharing also should be legal.
Old 9 Aug 2002, 03:44 (Ref:353534)   #23
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"There is ONE category in the world were no one team should be penalised. That is Formula 1. I hate Ferrari also, but to penalise them in raw racing is unfair. At touring car level, etc, it's fine, but F1 is the pinacle."

I agree. Weight penalties will close up racing, but i think its a silly idea unless what you does is in the entertainment field. Might as well say the best car runs only 3 wheels... LOL

We can't have it every way we want it. We want a equal grid...but we can't do it at the expense of punishing the best performance...it would only discourage innovations. We should however provide incentives that make everyone fighting to improve.

The one-team domination can be stopped when other teams get their act together. Its basically a problem caused by the poor performances of the rest of the field relative to the best. We have said how much we hate big manufacturers coming into F1...but ironically, they would in the long term seem to be the solution... because their involvement would level out the financial side of the teams, and hence allow more room to equal the field.
Old 9 Aug 2002, 05:00 (Ref:353546)   #24
Aussiefan

I think even if some of these proposed changes were brought into place, such as equal chassis, it wouldn't guarantee a team or driver from dominating or winning frequently. A badly organised team will still get poor results no matter how equal machinery is.

Old 9 Aug 2002, 06:41 (Ref:353573)   #25
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
[BIts basically a problem caused by the poor performances of the rest of the field relative to the best.[/B]
Actually, in a way, it's more that the leaders...Ferrari...have lifted the bar so high for the rest of them. I am sure the other teams are doing their best, and they aren't rubbish, but they have such a hard goal in line...