Old 26 May 2004, 13:02 (Ref:983824)   #1
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mika and Willams?????????????

Hya all

I saw this on another forum, could any1 who's finnish translate it plz! it looks like its talking about Mika Hakkinen and Willams????? :confused:

http://www.turunsanomat.fi/f1/?ts=1,...352,2004-05-26

If it is what i think it is then Miracles do Happen!
Old 26 May 2004, 13:09 (Ref:983830)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Can't read it, but Mika said only last week F1 and him are done (Autosport).

However he is racing in a Porsche Cup race in Finland at the weekend. For fun and to promote national Finnish racing.
Old 26 May 2004, 13:12 (Ref:983837)   #3
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
=;...<

well a girl can dream, cant she
Old 26 May 2004, 13:13 (Ref:983838)   #4
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i just read on teletext that mika will test a williams this summer and wants wo race next year because he got bored by doing nothing
Old 26 May 2004, 13:16 (Ref:983845)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is getting silly now.
Frankly (excuse the pun) there is more chance of Villeneuve driving for Williams.
Old 26 May 2004, 13:20 (Ref:983850)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If the test goes well, who knows? Niki Lauda came back in similar circumstacnes and won another title, Mika was clearly capable of beign as fast as ever when he retired, and his life does seem comparatively empty now (with only Hugo for company) so it could happen.
Old 26 May 2004, 13:24 (Ref:983851)   #7
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I won't be holding my breath on this one, how many 'names' can the motorsport rag's and press in general shoehorn onto 'Williams shortlist' or long list...I wonder?
Old 26 May 2004, 13:43 (Ref:983867)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I know this is radical, but I'm going to beleive Mika when he says he doesn't want to come back.

I here Damon has no interest in making a comeback - he is surely the next to be linked.
Old 26 May 2004, 13:47 (Ref:983870)   #9
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
i just wanted a translation thats all - i guess i am living in hope more than reality
Old 26 May 2004, 13:48 (Ref:983871)   #10
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Recently, Patrick Head confirmed that Mansell has never "officially" retired.
Old 26 May 2004, 13:49 (Ref:983875)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans

ozrevhead, I'm sure someone will give us the jist...

Last edited by Adam43; 26 May 2004 at 13:58.
Old 26 May 2004, 13:51 (Ref:983878)   #12
Paarma
Racer

Finland
Europe
Paarma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to the article in Turun Sanomat Mika is seriously considering returning to F1 with Williams. They speculate about mika doing some testing during summer and deciding whether he is in or not.

There is also some talk about how he almost joined williams in 92 and how Frank Williams admires him. Mark webber is named as the most likely team mate.

However, Mika has already denied this in an interview by YLE. I wonder what Ron would think about Mika joining Williams. He is still contracted to Mclaren isn't he?

Last edited by Paarma; 26 May 2004 at 13:54.
Old 26 May 2004, 13:59 (Ref:983894)   #13
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
thanks Paarma and welcome to the forum!
Old 26 May 2004, 14:02 (Ref:983897)   #14
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've no idea what the contract situation is with Mika to be honest. All I do know is that he's testing a Porsche today for a race in Finland this weekend and said TODAY that he has no intention of returning to Formula One either as a driver or team manager.

Basically, this stems from a joke Sir Frank made a while ago when he told The People (UK newspaper) that he was feeling "a bit torn" about selecting drivers for 2005. He said that his wish list was extremely long and, amongst those on it, were Jacques Villeneuve, Nick Heidfeld, Giancarlo Fisichella, Mark Webber, Antonio Pizzonia, IRL champion Scott Dixon, Mika Häkkinen...

So I think some people are getting excited about nothing. Everybody is lined up to drive for Williams in 2005. Look on this forum at the Villeneueve to test Williams thread; not to mention the Dixon to test Williams thread, the Rosberg Jr to test Williams rumours...

Besides, Mika's already declined the opportunity to test this year's McLaren and help his team there

Anyway, are they sure Frank is referring to Mika and not little Hugo?

Last edited by Suzy; 26 May 2004 at 14:08.
Old 26 May 2004, 14:22 (Ref:983922)   #15
Nina
Racer

Nina should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope that rumour of Hakkinen testing for Williams is a joke - he has turned into a joke, banned from bars in Monaco for being a **** head

[EDIT: autocencor dodge. You mean he was drunk. Also is this a fact?[/EDIT]

Last edited by Adam43; 26 May 2004 at 14:50.
Old 26 May 2004, 14:38 (Ref:983945)   #16
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is that so Nina? Can you let me know the source of your information?
Old 26 May 2004, 14:39 (Ref:983946)   #17
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's pretty easy to get banned from bars in Monaco, just cough the wrong way...
Old 26 May 2004, 15:17 (Ref:983991)   #18
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think it was for 1993 that Mika almost joine Williams - supposedly Frank had left his official registration untilt eh last minute, and had to thus seek approval of all the team bosses quickly, and Lotus' Peter Collins refused to allow him to sign Hakkinen, so the deal collapsed.
Old 26 May 2004, 16:02 (Ref:984053)   #19
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's John Watson up to these days? Maybe Martin Brundle will have a test...
Old 26 May 2004, 16:07 (Ref:984058)   #20
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Or Stirling Moss, perhaps. He still puts a fair few laps in y'know.

Of course, Mika is a 2xWDC, which makes him twice as good as another much touted veteran. And at least one of Mika's titles was more recent wasn't it? Surely that makes Mika a more realistic proposition?!

Old 26 May 2004, 16:22 (Ref:984077)   #21
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Nina
I hope that rumour of Hakkinen testing for Williams is a joke - he has turned into a joke, banned from bars in Monaco for being a **** head

Doesn't really ring true.

If nothing else, Erja wouldn't allow it!
Old 26 May 2004, 16:30 (Ref:984087)   #22
Warrior21
Rookie

Warrior21 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is a bad translation of an article on German RTL today:

The queue before the Williams head office in English Oxfordshire has become ever longer. After Jacques Villeneuve, Mark Webber, David Coulthard, Giancarlo Fisichella, Nick Heidfeld, Antonio Pizzonia, Juan Pablo Montoya and Ralf Schumacher now is added F1-Oldie Mika Haekkinen as a driver candidate for the next season.

Allegedly, the world champion from 1998 and 1999, will test for BMW Williams in the next weeks. In Monaco, Haekkinen and family presented themselves in front of the cameras.

Since beginning of the year Mika’s life is as 'Privatieer' has got on his nerves. Allegedly, he has completed since January an intensive Fitness Program to bring itself back in top form. The 35-year old will drive a Porsche Cup Race in Finland to collect driving experience.

Still, Haekkinen has a contract with McLaren Mercedes until the end of 2004. For a comeback in the BMW Williams he needs a release from McLaren Mercedes. In addition, perhaps a place would be free with Ron Dennis for Haekkinen. Particularly after the latest gossip about Montoya, trying to get out of the McLaren Mercedes contract.
Old 26 May 2004, 16:54 (Ref:984107)   #23
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
OMG.

Nope, I can't see this one happening either! There was an interview with him in F1 Racing last year in his Monaco apartment and he seems so happy and contented in retirement. He doesn't strike me as even thinking about coming back.

And his love for fine wines and cigars will surely have destroyed his fitness.

Nah, no chance. But we can dream - I'd certainly prefer this to other names touted for the seat.
Old 26 May 2004, 17:26 (Ref:984146)   #24
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
Recently, Patrick Head confirmed that Mansell has never "officially" retired.
Last year he was at the Miami CART race and asked Chris Pook if he thought he could compete with today's drivers. One could interpreted that to mean that he's shopping around. Now this rumour has momemtum, but I still say the Fish_Flake rumour is the current front runner.
Old 26 May 2004, 17:50 (Ref:984169)   #25
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can't see this happening, though Suzy can investigate this one for us, can't you Suzy ?