Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 13 Jul 2007, 13:56 (Ref:1962468)   #1
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Henri considering a Peugeot 908, or a move to the ALMS.

Quote:
Henri Pescarolo is considering acquiring a customer Peugeot 908 for his team or abandoning Le Mans and the Le Mans Series for the American Le Mans Series.
More at..

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/60756

Personally I think he is just making threats, and isn't serious about moving to the ALMS, as it doesn't really make any sense for him, or his sponsors.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 14:02 (Ref:1962475)   #2
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like an April Fools joke!
Old 13 Jul 2007, 14:10 (Ref:1962479)   #3
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
If Henri was serious, wouldn't you think he'd want to run at PLM to give the ALMS a trial run? He isn't one of the people on the early suggested list.

I wonder just how much noise we would hear from Henri about the Petrol vs. Diesel regs, if he picked up a 908.

Last edited by Fogelhund; 13 Jul 2007 at 14:14.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 18:10 (Ref:1962661)   #4
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is interesting when we hear of a European team wanting to come to the ALMS, then they cry as their sponsors wont pay, and they cant find new American sponsors and the ALMS does not pay enough prize money.

WAH WAH WAH.

Forget the whinning, and make your car, go faster. Change engine suppliers, do what ever it takes, but stop the frick'n whinning.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 18:28 (Ref:1962671)   #5
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
Personally I think he is just making threats, and isn't serious about moving to the ALMS, as it doesn't really make any sense for him, or his sponsors.
Agree. Threats to ACO for a petrol-diesel rule change.

If Peugeot supplies cars to privateers I am curious if Audi will follow Peugeot.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 18:48 (Ref:1962682)   #6
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
pederb has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
It is interesting when we hear of a European team wanting to come to the ALMS, then they cry as their sponsors wont pay, and they cant find new American sponsors and the ALMS does not pay enough prize money.

WAH WAH WAH.

Forget the whinning, and make your car, go faster. Change engine suppliers, do what ever it takes, but stop the frick'n whinning.
And then he still have to battle Diesel's but now in form of Audi's
Old 13 Jul 2007, 21:33 (Ref:1962768)   #7
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes but like the article says in the ALMS the rules are often tweaked to even things out between cars so one car doesent dominate.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 22:04 (Ref:1962784)   #8
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
English is Autosports primary language isn't it?

Quote:
Pescarolo believes that switching to diesel fuel could be his only option if he wants to remain competitive in Europe.
I would hope that switching out the engine would be another option too...
Old 14 Jul 2007, 09:45 (Ref:1962950)   #9
Hammerdown
Racer

United Kingdom
Clevedon, UK
Hammerdown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nasty! But not as much of a problem as putting petrol in a diesel. Wait...now there's an idea!

I would have thought that running a 908 or an R10 would be prohibitively expensive for a privateer. That's probably one of the biggest problems with any radical new technology: only the manufacturers can afford it.
Old 14 Jul 2007, 10:46 (Ref:1962971)   #10
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
Yes but like the article says in the ALMS the rules are often tweaked to even things out between cars so one car doesent dominate.
Twice a year the rules are 'tweaked." Before the season opener at Sebring and after Le Mans.
Old 14 Jul 2007, 11:53 (Ref:1963006)   #11
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugewally
English is Autosports primary language isn't it?

I would hope that switching out the engine would be another option too...
what other engine's are available though?, the AER turbo is underpowered still and imo it needs direct port injection or bigger displacement or both together to be competitive.

the other options are the mugen 4.5 V8 which is no longer being developed but it was a fantastic engine in the back of last year's courage LC70, look at its speed in comparison to the swiss spirit judd engined car last year.

the zytek 4.0 V8 seems to be a good engine but i question its performance on the high speed track's, particularly lemans as the engine probably wont have a great deal of torque and im not sure whether zytek would be willing to sell the P1 engine to customer teams.

as an engine the judd 5.5 is the best engine, its bulletproof reliable, has good torque and good power but the engine is getting long in the tooth now, time methinks for judd to evaluate a new engine such as a turbo V8 or a n/a V12.

oh and there is always the cosworth V8 turbo which no-one has used yet, so we dont know whether that is a good or bad engine, but in a way you can hardly blame henri for complaining, the car is good but i feel the judd might just be starting the end of its life despite this big modification.
Old 14 Jul 2007, 12:34 (Ref:1963024)   #12
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is just Henri's latest nudge in the back of the ACO to ensure the equvalency iis adjusted next season.

I'm sure Henri's going to splash out £3m-£4m+ on a 908 prgram and ditch his fluroshing customer program......not!
Old 14 Jul 2007, 13:37 (Ref:1963057)   #13
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice
what other engine's are available though.....
My point being that Autosport used poor wording in their report.
Old 14 Jul 2007, 16:03 (Ref:1963129)   #14
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
This is just Henri's latest nudge in the back of the ACO to ensure the equvalency iis adjusted next season.

I'm sure Henri's going to splash out £3m-£4m+ on a 908 prgram and ditch his fluroshing customer program......not!
Yup Jag I agree with you on that one
Old 14 Jul 2007, 17:17 (Ref:1963166)   #15
SebringMG
Veteran

United Kingdom
SebringMG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am sure Henri would certainly look into whether he can afford to run a 908 - after all anyone buying one would probably finish third at most LMS races - his sponsors would want him to exercise all options anyway!!

Perhaps he is also thinking that making your own chassis is not the performance increase that he thought it would......
Old 14 Jul 2007, 19:19 (Ref:1963229)   #16
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebringMG
I am sure Henri would certainly look into whether he can afford to run a 908 - after all anyone buying one would probably finish third at most LMS races - his sponsors would want him to exercise all options anyway!!

Perhaps he is also thinking that making your own chassis is not the performance increase that he thought it would......

Buying a 908 gives no guarantees, afterall most people expect diesels to be reigned in next season.
Old 14 Jul 2007, 19:32 (Ref:1963235)   #17
SebringMG
Veteran

United Kingdom
SebringMG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Buying a 908 gives no guarantees, afterall most people expect diesels to be reigned in next season.
NO but it is the best package avilable - even assuming that diesels are reigned in!! I get the feeling Henri is not happy with the level of performance that he gets grom the Judd.....and a customer Pug is likely to be quicker than he can manage given his own car and the Judd engine!
Old 14 Jul 2007, 20:37 (Ref:1963263)   #18
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Quote:
NO but it is the best package avilable
Best? Available?
Old 14 Jul 2007, 21:35 (Ref:1963276)   #19
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
NO but it is the best package avilable - even assuming that diesels are reigned in!! I get the feeling Henri is not happy with the level of performance that he gets grom the Judd.....and a customer Pug is likely to be quicker than he can manage given his own car and the Judd engine!
Or you just go back to Judd or AER and say ' Umm bit down on power?? What can we do to be competivite with the Audi and Pug?? "
Old 15 Jul 2007, 14:35 (Ref:1963628)   #20
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
let him go to ALMS, and lose to LMP2 cars, let's see how he likes that
Old 15 Jul 2007, 14:59 (Ref:1963641)   #21
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It isn't a serious thing, it's just henri saying what the rest of us are- equal the regs, and THEN we'll see how good diesel is.
Old 15 Jul 2007, 22:15 (Ref:1963945)   #22
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
Agree. Threats to ACO for a petrol-diesel rule change.

If Peugeot supplies cars to privateers I am curious if Audi will follow Peugeot.
Any manufacturer should be made too in my opinion . I think that they should be made supply at least 2 or 3 cars to privateers .

I dont see the point in not , it just strengthens the series if there are enough manufacturers .

Teams will pay for a strong package ..... for example Goh , Oreca R8 , Champion , Veloqx for example .

Go back to the Group C days , the big crib was that Jag didnt supply ..... one exception with Suntec .

Wouldnt it have been nice to see a few privateer Toyota GT-one's out there !!!
Old 15 Jul 2007, 22:20 (Ref:1963947)   #23
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I get the feeling Henri is not happy with the level of performance that he gets grom the Judd
On the contrary ..... i get the feeling that Henri is delighted with the performance from the Judd , being a privateer with a privateer engine . You couldnt expect much more from the Judd ..... Audi has the cash to throw around , Judd doesnt have that kind of wedge .

I also get the feeling that there is not too much left to develope with respect to the Judd ..... before reliability issues start to crop up . Its a pretty old engine now , and there is only so much that can be lowered and lightened .
Old 15 Jul 2007, 22:22 (Ref:1963950)   #24
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
What engine would you suggest then ?

The Judd is about the best privateer engine out there at presant .
Old 15 Jul 2007, 22:26 (Ref:1963952)   #25
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
I wonder just how much noise we would hear from Henri about the Petrol vs. Diesel regs, if he picked up a 908.
Thats an interesting point , but to be fair to Henri , I do believe that he is an honest dude and fair .

But , he probably wouldnt be allowed to say too much about that either !!!