Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 11 Dec 2017, 23:19 (Ref:3786415)   #3601
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Yes, but although I’m sure it’s possible to get a car to drive itself around a circuit competitively, it will be different when there are 10 cars racing each other. That’s the autonomous bit- the ability for each car to think and calculate like a driver....
It will probably be like Tesla and have different modes that can be preprogrammed to activate under certain circumstances or be sent to the car from its master control base wherever that might be.

So you could have the teams choosing "Win at all costs" mode or "drive to a finish" mode or "weave unpredictably" mode which should be allowed, imo, when no human driver is involved as a means of disrupting whatever mode the competing car behind might be using.

I could image the technology and strategies converging so that "drive to a finish" mode is deployed for most of the race as the cars procession around for some time seeking "TV" exposure for as long as possible and then for the last lap or two they change into "Win at all costs"mode.

So nothing much changes compared to current F1 until the last lap or two ...
Old 12 Dec 2017, 07:01 (Ref:3786478)   #3602
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Yes, but although I’m sure it’s possible to get a car to drive itself around a circuit competitively, it will be different when there are 10 cars racing each other. That’s the autonomous bit- the ability for each car to think and calculate like a driver....

Aren't F1 cars already 'controlled' from the factory??
Old 12 Dec 2017, 07:08 (Ref:3786480)   #3603
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Aren't F1 cars already 'controlled' from the factory??
Pretty close to being! Thing about any future autonomy on the roads is that vehicles will have to be programmed to err on the side of caution in any situation. That’s not going to work on a race track, and to be truly autonomous the car should be able to make its own decisions, not rely on a bod on the pit wall changing settings remotely......
Old 12 Dec 2017, 07:32 (Ref:3786485)   #3604
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Pretty close to being! Thing about any future autonomy on the roads is that vehicles will have to be programmed to err on the side of caution in any situation. That’s not going to work on a race track, and to be truly autonomous the car should be able to make its own decisions, not rely on a bod on the pit wall changing settings remotely......

Going off topic a bit, did you see the interesting Concorde programme last night?

I used to know a BA 747 pilot (& occasional Caterham racer) who maintained they rather looked down on Concorde pilots as they did not require so much skill to fly as a Jumbo etc. The programme last night suggested the skill sets were a little different though.

Lovely anecdote about a Concorde encounter with a US stealth bomber!
Old 12 Dec 2017, 08:10 (Ref:3786491)   #3605
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
No, presumably not the docu that focussed on the crash and subsequent demise? What channel? Guess what, trains all cancelled on the local line as a vehicle has damaged the bridge near Eccles Road station / Snetterton...... Glad I always check on the app before walking to the station!
Old 12 Dec 2017, 08:34 (Ref:3786494)   #3606
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
No, presumably not the docu that focussed on the crash and subsequent demise? What channel? Guess what, trains all cancelled on the local line as a vehicle has damaged the bridge near Eccles Road station / Snetterton...... Glad I always check on the app before walking to the station!
It was Channel 5, I think, or possibly 4. There were two programmes one after the other, the second - which I did not stay up for - was all about the crash. The first covered the crash briefly but was mostly about the operation of Concorde, with a lot of input from former pilots & other crew, with lots of period footage, including some great footage of four flying together - "How did you get permission for that? The answer: "we didn't, we just did it!

Wrong sort of vehicle on the line?
Old 12 Dec 2017, 09:59 (Ref:3786502)   #3607
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I think they would keep the human element as some sort of token attempt to retain a connection with "sport" that people could relate to. Absent that I would guess that Chinese interest, for example, would wane as the betting element diminished.

In any event those who are in charge of the spectacle will still need to show that they are in charge, if you see what I mean. (Always assuming that the whole concept is not being controlled by robots. For robots.)
Old 12 Dec 2017, 16:00 (Ref:3786580)   #3608
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
could this thread be:

"Deltas Skinny Latte Extravaganza"

in 2018,

please ?

RuE
Old 12 Dec 2017, 16:17 (Ref:3786585)   #3609
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Too complimicated.

How about Delta's double espresso moments 2018?
Old 12 Dec 2017, 17:34 (Ref:3786594)   #3610
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Going off topic a bit, did you see the interesting Concorde programme last night?

I used to know a BA 747 pilot (& occasional Caterham racer) who maintained they rather looked down on Concorde pilots as they did not require so much skill to fly as a Jumbo etc. The programme last night suggested the skill sets were a little different though.

Lovely anecdote about a Concorde encounter with a US stealth bomber!
During the last year of my apprenticeship with the British Aircraft Corporation(formerly Vickers Armstrong) at Weybridge I worked in the acoustics section and I was lucky enough to be included in a working party at Toulouse undertaking flyover noise measurements alongside our French counterparts, fantastic experience for a 21 year old. In addition I also crewed in a mobile noise measuring unit at Fairford where we undertook a lot of ground running measurements with an array of microphones under the wings around the engine nacelles. During this period there were a number of potential airline pilots undertaking landings and take-offs which was incredible to watch as the majority of the new pilots frequently grounded the tail section until they a fitted a skid to prevent further damage. Delta wing aircraft require a very steep angle of attack to achieve sufficient lift both on landing and take off and it was this high angle particularly on approach which caused the pilots most difficulties in acclimatisation to flying Concorde. A few years of my life I will never forget. I watched both of the 2 part tv programmes with fond memories.
Old 12 Dec 2017, 17:36 (Ref:3786595)   #3611
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Too complimicated.

Delta's Senior Moments?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 12 Dec 2017, 17:51 (Ref:3786600)   #3612
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Too complimicated.

From my experience, our delta is not a double espresso sort of bloke Cappuccino though, especially if topped with cocoa powder......
Old 12 Dec 2017, 17:56 (Ref:3786601)   #3613
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Delta's Senior Moments?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

...but shouldn't the senior moments be reserved for Baubles Burblings?
Old 12 Dec 2017, 17:59 (Ref:3786602)   #3614
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
During the last year of my apprenticeship with the British Aircraft Corporation(formerly Vickers Armstrong) at Weybridge I worked in the acoustics section and I was lucky enough to be included in a working party at Toulouse undertaking flyover noise measurements alongside our French counterparts, fantastic experience for a 21 year old. In addition I also crewed in a mobile noise measuring unit at Fairford where we undertook a lot of ground running measurements with an array of microphones under the wings around the engine nacelles. During this period there were a number of potential airline pilots undertaking landings and take-offs which was incredible to watch as the majority of the new pilots frequently grounded the tail section until they a fitted a skid to prevent further damage. Delta wing aircraft require a very steep angle of attack to achieve sufficient lift both on landing and take off and it was this high angle particularly on approach which caused the pilots most difficulties in acclimatisation to flying Concorde. A few years of my life I will never forget. I watched both of the 2 part tv programmes with fond memories.
Must have been a fascinating time! I noted one of the pilots saying about how the older pilots had grown up flying Lancaster bombers & had difficulty looking far enough ahead (or words to that effect).
Old 12 Dec 2017, 18:08 (Ref:3786607)   #3615
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Yes. Capachino for me and I will be 65 next March . Going to spend all my pension money on motor racing 😀Interesting about Concorde programme I would like to watch that . My customer and friend who lets me drive his collection of Lola 's was a 747 pilot . He got asked to train for Concorde but declined .
Old 12 Dec 2017, 18:08 (Ref:3786608)   #3616
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Must have been a fascinating time! I noted one of the pilots saying about how the older pilots had grown up flying Lancaster bombers & had difficulty looking far enough ahead (or words to that effect).
Forward vision on Concorde was always a problem on landing in particular hence the reason for the sliding canopy at the front. The 'droop snoot' that enclosed the whole of the front was a heat shield and aerodynamic aid.
Old 12 Dec 2017, 18:18 (Ref:3786611)   #3617
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Yes. Capachino for me and I will be 65 next March . Going to spend all my pension money on motor racing ��Interesting about Concorde programme I would like to watch that . My customer and friend who lets me drive his collection of Lola 's was a 747 pilot . He got asked to train for Concorde but declined .
Make sure you fill in the pension forms in good time, Iain. If my experience this years was typical, it takes them a very long time to process them, but of course they have the public sector mindset, not racers!!
Old 12 Dec 2017, 19:47 (Ref:3786638)   #3618
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Make sure you fill in the pension forms in good time, Iain. If my experience this years was typical, it takes them a very long time to process them, but of course they have the public sector mindset, not racers!!
Is that private pensions or state? Just wondered as I have 1415days 3 hours 12 minutes and 10 seconds to go as I post
Old 12 Dec 2017, 20:03 (Ref:3786641)   #3619
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
The Concorde progs were on C5. Just watched part 1, and was yet again glued to coverage of the plane- whether standing still, taxiing, taking off, landing, or cruising.........

Truly stunning, and always will be.
Old 12 Dec 2017, 20:07 (Ref:3786643)   #3620
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Yes, great viewing.

Reminds me that in the 70s/80s, British Airways ran what they called the Super Shuttle where you were guaranteed a seat to a select number of destinations if you turned up at the airport with an open ticket. Destinations included Manchester, Belfast, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Newcastle.

The BA promise was that if even one passenger in excess of a full plane turned up, they would lay on another aircraft just for that person. On one occasion. my sales manager and I arranged to join our opposite numbers of a Scottish competitor on a flight to Edinburgh in order to have a tour around their establishment just north of the city. My colleague and I turned up at Heathrow a few minutes before the other 2 gents, and boarded a Trident for the flight up there. The other two were the last to check in, and as there were no seats available on our flight, BA bussed them over to the other side of the airport, where they were escorted on to a waiting Concorde, which was to be their ride to Edinburgh.

Although not common, there were always one or two Concordes on standby in case they were required to cover for their normal operations to America. So, from time to time, lucky and very surprised passengers got the experience of flying in Concorde at no extra cost on the Super Shuttle service.
Old 12 Dec 2017, 20:32 (Ref:3786647)   #3621
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I was lucky enough to fly on Concorde, on one of the ‘joy ride’ charter flights. Our Dad was coming up to a significant birthday, so my sisters and I decided to treat him to a flight, as like most at that time, he was totally smitten. We realised that he was at an age where a chaperone would be sensible, so we all went as well.

A very memorable day......
Old 12 Dec 2017, 20:36 (Ref:3786648)   #3622
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Is that private pensions or state? Just wondered as I have 1415days 3 hours 12 minutes and 10 seconds to go as I post
State pension. My birthday was in May. I filled & returned the forms at the end of February. Having heard nothing by the end of June I ignored their plea not to call them, I did so, & spoke to a lady who confirmed that they had been received at the beginning of March "so are now in the queue for processing - shall I mark them as urgent?

It took another six weeks & a further call before I learned there had been a four-month backlog caused by them sending out the wrong form for bank details! Things only speeded up when my case was picked-up by someone in the Newcastle office who was originally from Norwich, & noting that I was Norfolk-born he called me, had a natter about Norfolk, then rushed the bank details through!!

Oh, and Tim, you shouldn't rush your life away at that rate, or is there nothing on telly this evening??
Old 12 Dec 2017, 20:42 (Ref:3786651)   #3623
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
The Concorde progs were on C5. Just watched part 1, and was yet again glued to coverage of the plane- whether standing still, taxiing, taking off, landing, or cruising.........

Truly stunning, and always will be.
Concorde used to fly over our house just after take-off - never tired of seeing or hearing it. Jan worked at Heathrow & was a huge fan. She wasn't working on the day of the last flight so we watched it take off on TV then went outside to watch it fly-over moments later.
Old 12 Dec 2017, 20:45 (Ref:3786653)   #3624
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Oh, and Tim, you shouldn't rush your life away at that rate, or is there nothing on telly this evening??
Just finished watching some blokes ferrying planes across the world, one of them was a 32 year old (the plane) twin engined something or other that kept breaking down. The pilots were constantly moaning about it and saying it was a pile of ****, or words to that effect, which made me smile as it's just like being at work at my place except if I break down I pull to the side of the road rather than fall out the sky.
As for wishing my life away, I'm more counting down to having a bit more choice rather than having to get up at 3.30am daily, I do however expect I'll work until I can no longer physically (or legally) do the job.
Old 12 Dec 2017, 21:42 (Ref:3786661)   #3625
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmmm.
Closed Thread