Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 3 Oct 2011, 19:54 (Ref:2965135)   #1
SuperDuff
Racer

United Kingdom
Devon
SuperDuff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Learning points at my season end

I thought I'd share some of the things I have learnt this year (my first season).
  1. When the black bit falls off the bottom of an extinguisher at the end of the day, the extinguisher will not stand upright.
  2. After 10 hours, marshals are scarily odd people (oh sleep deprivation and coffee...)
  3. When you can smell a portaloo from a 5m distance, you probably don't need the loo afterall.
  4. Remember to take a torch to a portaloo in a night race.
  5. Fire points are further spaced than you first realise, and are in fact, double the visual distance when you are carrying two extinguishers out to them.
  6. Tyre wall climbing should be an Olympic sport (and not one I would be any good at).
  7. Running across gravel traps should be a Marshal Endurance Event.
  8. In your first season, after a very soggy race, buy lots of waterproofs - you are guaranteed dry meetings for the rest of the year.
  9. When a car hits the armco, it shatters into many pieces - more than it looks on TV!
  10. You get a sense of bereavement when your season has ended, and immediately start planning your wish list for next year.
  11. Never underestimate the amount of food and drink that keeps a post going. (and the sense of humour helps!) Oh, and not all marshals eat pork pies - only two eatings witnessed at LMS.
  12. Arriving at stupid o'clock, and struggling to get the tent pegs in probably means you have pitched on hardcore, but can't see this until the morning.
  13. Lastly - it's addictive. The adrenaline rush of seeing cars belting by, good racing and spending time with equally as mad people is worth it all.
Old 3 Oct 2011, 21:38 (Ref:2965197)   #2
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDuff View Post
[*]Remember to take a torch to a portaloo in a night race.
especially if you're wearing sunglasses as well...
Old 3 Oct 2011, 21:49 (Ref:2965203)   #3
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SuperDuff, glad you have enjoyed your first season, I am just finishing my 37th and still 'lovin it' despite all the changes, H&S etc etc, it is still the best sport in the world, I hope to come back next year and do it all again, God willing........

Bladders...........
Old 3 Oct 2011, 21:57 (Ref:2965206)   #4
Sparky-steve
Racer

United Kingdom
Sparky-steve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I thought I'd share some of the things I have learnt this year (my first season).
  1. When the black bit falls off the bottom of an extinguisher at the end of the day, the extinguisher will not stand upright.
  2. After 10 hours, marshals are scarily odd people (oh sleep deprivation and coffee...)
  3. When you can smell a portaloo from a 5m distance, you probably don't need the loo afterall.
  4. Remember to take a torch to a portaloo in a night race.
  5. Fire points are further spaced than you first realise, and are in fact, double the visual distance when you are carrying two extinguishers out to them.
  6. Tyre wall climbing should be an Olympic sport (and not one I would be any good at).
  7. Running across gravel traps should be a Marshal Endurance Event.
  8. In your first season, after a very soggy race, buy lots of waterproofs - you are guaranteed dry meetings for the rest of the year.
  9. When a car hits the armco, it shatters into many pieces - more than it looks on TV!
  10. You get a sense of bereavement when your season has ended, and immediately start planning your wish list for next year.
  11. Never underestimate the amount of food and drink that keeps a post going. (and the sense of humour helps!) Oh, and not all marshals eat pork pies - only two eatings witnessed at LMS.
  12. Arriving at stupid o'clock, and struggling to get the tent pegs in probably means you have pitched on hardcore, but can't see this until the morning.
  13. Lastly - it's addictive. The adrenaline rush of seeing cars belting by, good racing and spending time with equally as mad people is worth it all.

scary how many i've done too, and its my third season LOL
must be the marshal in me trying to get out

Last edited by Sparky-steve; 3 Oct 2011 at 21:59. Reason: computer playing up thanks windows 7!!
Old 3 Oct 2011, 23:09 (Ref:2965224)   #5
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
1/. If you're about to swear at a useless object, for not doing what it's supposed to do, make sure you're finger is not on the radio's trnsmit button!
"F...ing lights!!!".
Old 3 Oct 2011, 23:36 (Ref:2965230)   #6
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Classic moment from the Britcar week-end. I think every post cheered that one.
Old 4 Oct 2011, 06:00 (Ref:2965312)   #7
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
1/. Sometimes Plan C is required.
Old 4 Oct 2011, 09:45 (Ref:2965418)   #8
NewYankee01
Veteran

NewYankee01 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
You get a sense of bereavement when your season has ended, and immediately start planning your wish list for next year.
not if youre a rally marshal!
Old 4 Oct 2011, 10:20 (Ref:2965439)   #9
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or a Race marshal - Mallory Park Boxing Day
Old 4 Oct 2011, 10:38 (Ref:2965459)   #10
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Or a Race marshal - Mallory Park Boxing Day
And Anglesey 27 November.

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 4 Oct 2011, 10:41 (Ref:2965462)   #11
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Or Down Under. I've got somewhere between 10 and 15 days remaining for the year.
Old 4 Oct 2011, 11:15 (Ref:2965485)   #12
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
1. Remember that you're not always at the same circuit, or on the same post when making radio calls to R/C. I got myself mentally 45 miles away on a different track a few weeks ago
Old 4 Oct 2011, 11:17 (Ref:2965487)   #13
cowchap
Racer

England
sussex
cowchap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
1/. Sometimes Plan C is required.
I didnt know there was a plan A and B !
Old 4 Oct 2011, 11:42 (Ref:2965499)   #14
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A lot of the time when I'm 'Clerking' the plan begins with the letter 'F', along the line of 'Oh gosh what the .... do I do here
Old 4 Oct 2011, 15:00 (Ref:2965578)   #15
mark25787
Rookie

Wales
Mold, North Wales
mark25787 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly 1 View Post
And Anglesey 27 November.
Is the 27th November meet definitely on?
Old 4 Oct 2011, 16:15 (Ref:2965613)   #16
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark25787 View Post
Is the 27th November meet definitely on?
Not definite. We need to keep our eyes open for ongoing information on this one. (Mentioned by Alistair at last Saturday's briefing.)
Old 4 Oct 2011, 20:19 (Ref:2965762)   #17
skeee
Racer

Cyprus
Wiltshire
skeee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
- it's addictive. The adrenaline rush of seeing cars belting by, good racing and spending time with equally as mad people is worth it all.

Definitely!

There's still a few weekends left at Brands!
Old 5 Oct 2011, 04:09 (Ref:2965913)   #18
AMP Marshal
Racer

Canada
Nova Scotia
AMP Marshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
1/. If you're about to swear at a useless object, for not doing what it's supposed to do, make sure you're finger is not on the radio's trnsmit button!
"F...ing lights!!!".
Sorry about the giggling, but I couldn't help myself. I've been close a few times over other items not behaving as I think they should, but haven't fallen over that comm " line " yet.
Old 5 Oct 2011, 21:16 (Ref:2966291)   #19
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMP Marshal View Post
Sorry about the giggling, but I couldn't help myself. I've been close a few times over other items not behaving as I think they should, but haven't fallen over that comm " line " yet.
It could have been quite dangerous, as a car had stopped on the circuit, during night qualifying, with no electrics, but I'm pleased to announce that no lights were harmed during this episode.
Old 5 Oct 2011, 21:25 (Ref:2966296)   #20
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Quote:
It could have been quite dangerous, as a car had stopped on the circuit, during night qualifying, with no electrics, but I'm pleased to announce that no lights were harmed during this episode.
They must have been stronger than they looked - it sounded like you were about to throw it! One of the many highlights of the week-end, I have to say.
Old 5 Oct 2011, 21:30 (Ref:2966302)   #21
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
They must have been stronger than they looked - it sounded like you were about to throw it! One of the many highlights of the week-end, I have to say.
Throw it!, no, it might have survived. There was a big lake behind me!
Fortunately it saved itself, by coming to life, just in time.
Old 5 Oct 2011, 22:22 (Ref:2966333)   #22
stephen0183
Rookie

England
Nottinghamshire
stephen0183 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Throw it!, no, it might have survived. There was a big lake behind me!
Fortunately it saved itself, by coming to life, just in time.
Twas good to at least put a voice to the name!...

... but going back on topic, additions to my list are:
  • make sure that when carrying a bottle, it's done in a way that the pin, if it's loose doesn't fall out...
  • just because the startline marshal is waving a red flag for the start of a scooter race doesn't mean that I have to wave one from the last post on the circuit...
  • take lessons from girlfriend on how to stitch badges onto my probans properly... or failing that ask her to do it for me!