Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 May 2009, 10:39 (Ref:2471487)   #1
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Prodrive enter for 2010 - AM in 2012?

Prodrive have submitted their entry to the 2010 F1 World Championship, joining USF1 and Campos and soon to be joined by Lola, Epsilon Euskadi and others. It will be under the Prodrive banner but with funding from the (very rich) Arabs

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75671

...but according to Autocar magazine, they will rebrand the team Aston Martin in 2012 if successful

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns21517.html
Old 29 May 2009, 11:17 (Ref:2471517)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Oh goody!

So far that's Williams,USF1,Campos,MetaF1 and Prodrive that have submitted entries.Lola are also expected to submit an entry,so that leaves just seven spots for nine teams....hmmm.

Go Prodrive!
Old 29 May 2009, 11:50 (Ref:2471535)   #3
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Lola are also expected to submit an entry......
Which they have just done.

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=38035
Old 29 May 2009, 11:54 (Ref:2471537)   #4
elspethhardie
Racer

Wales
South Wales
elspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm sceptical - how many of these teams will actually line up on the grid come March 2010?
Old 29 May 2009, 11:57 (Ref:2471541)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by elspethhardie View Post
I'm sceptical - how many of these teams will actually line up on the grid come March 2010?
The thirteen that are chosen by the FIA on June 12th.
Old 29 May 2009, 12:05 (Ref:2471548)   #6
elspethhardie
Racer

Wales
South Wales
elspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
ah ok - that makes a bit more sense....surely if this many "new" teams have stepped forward where were they when Honda was needing a buyer?
Old 29 May 2009, 12:06 (Ref:2471549)   #7
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There's a bit of a difference between buying a massive F1 team (which at that point had no guarantee Honda would continue funding it) and running a new team out of your own factory with your own employees
Old 29 May 2009, 12:48 (Ref:2471576)   #8
andybg40
Racer

England
Kent
andybg40 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Autosport also reported the Aston re-branding, but then removed the post and then replaced it with the one listed above, which contains nothing about Aston. I wonder if there was some kind of embargo on the press release. And why wouldn't they want to shout about having the Aston Martin name back in F1.
Old 29 May 2009, 13:13 (Ref:2471589)   #9
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Lola's website doesn't reports anything about it; given how loudly they've announced their intention to evaluate this project, it makes me still unsure of it.
Old 29 May 2009, 13:15 (Ref:2471590)   #10
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
There's a bit of a difference between buying a massive F1 team (which at that point had no guarantee Honda would continue funding it) and running a new team out of your own factory with your own employees

absolutely!

In particular I wonder how many newcomers would like to take over a squad and put 70% staff in redundancy
Old 29 May 2009, 13:57 (Ref:2471607)   #11
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Lola have now confirmed it - http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75676
Old 29 May 2009, 14:28 (Ref:2471627)   #12
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Do existing teams have 1st refusal on entry in 2010? or could 4 new teams be accepted (and Force India -for instance- bumped)
Old 29 May 2009, 14:32 (Ref:2471635)   #13
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
I think there would be ructions if one of the current teams wasn't accepted and I should think FOTA wouldn't be very impressed
Old 29 May 2009, 15:24 (Ref:2471670)   #14
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
All the current teams in F1 will be accepted as agreed with the FIA.
Old 29 May 2009, 21:47 (Ref:2471858)   #15
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I'm not sure about an Aston Martin branded F1 team - maybe it's just because they're not a traditional F1 'brand', but it just doesn't seem quite right. And it seems to me like a pretty big gamble to take with a name like that.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 30 May 2009, 05:16 (Ref:2471976)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Unlike Jaguar, Aston does have "previous" in Formula One but it was largely unsuccessful. However I agree, the name is associated with sports prototype racing rathar than this.
Old 30 May 2009, 06:37 (Ref:2471986)   #17
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl View Post
And it seems to me like a pretty big gamble to take with a name like that.
with Ferrari in the same championship..............
Old 30 May 2009, 08:50 (Ref:2472022)   #18
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Last time Aston raced in F1 was the 1960 British Grand Prix - Roy Salvadori and Maurice Trintignant. Carroll Shelby also drove for them in F1 - they only ever raced in 5 races
Old 30 May 2009, 09:40 (Ref:2472038)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, that was my point, however the comparison with Jaguar was on the basis that Jaguar had no previous in Formula One. BTW, it was Formula One then not F1 as it is now. don't you hate abbreviations?
Old 30 May 2009, 13:08 (Ref:2472155)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybg40 View Post
And why wouldn't they want to shout about having the Aston Martin name back in F1.
Back? Technically, but it is hardly an F1 name is it?

The name in F1? Means nothing to me. Bring it back to Newport Pagnell, not back to F1!
Old 30 May 2009, 13:11 (Ref:2472156)   #21
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore View Post
Back? Technically, but it is hardly an F1 name is it?

The name in F1? Means nothing to me. Bring it back to Newport Pagnell, not back to F1!
And at the beginning of this year, BrawnGP would have meant nothing. And a few years ago, Force India.

Names are irrelevant as long as the racing is good!
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 31 May 2009, 10:45 (Ref:2472572)   #22
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Brawn GP and Force India aren't exactly global brands, though. Whether they're successful or unsuccessful, they only exist in the sphere of F1. Aston Martin is a pretty big name to be playing around with - it would probably be damaged more by being unsuccessful than it would be enhanced by winning.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 31 May 2009, 11:42 (Ref:2472615)   #23
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Yes, that was my point, however the comparison with Jaguar was on the basis that Jaguar had no previous in Formula One.
I wasn't disagreeing

Quote:
BTW, it was Formula One then not F1 as it is now. don't you hate abbreviations?
TBH FWIW they're OK IMO
Old 31 May 2009, 18:17 (Ref:2472810)   #24
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl View Post
Brawn GP and Force India aren't exactly global brands, though. Whether they're successful or unsuccessful, they only exist in the sphere of F1. Aston Martin is a pretty big name to be playing around with - it would probably be damaged more by being unsuccessful than it would be enhanced by winning.

I agree RG, Prodrive F1 is a better idea..
Old 31 May 2009, 18:26 (Ref:2472815)   #25
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
The "Prodrive for 2 years, Aston in 2012" rumour makes sense. I guess the reason why Autosport edited it out of their article was that DR hasn't confirmed it in case they aren't competitive

If Prodrive get in and are in the points regularly by the end of 2011, I think they'll give the Aston name a shot