Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 11 Aug 2011, 17:30 (Ref:2938574)   #26
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
virtually impossible in a RHD car which is what I was driving when I was in a comparable position; granted the yellow thing in the youtube clip is LHD.

Ok,
how about,
1 hand to undo buckle
1 hand to open door
Old 11 Aug 2011, 18:06 (Ref:2938596)   #27
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
it seems whatever I say you don't want me (or any driver?) to set the extinguisher off while exiting a burning car.
I think from your tag you are a marshal yourself, so I find this a *very* odd stance, please explain.
Old 11 Aug 2011, 20:57 (Ref:2938672)   #28
PapaJuliet
Racer

England
Midlands
PapaJuliet has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
it seems whatever I say you don't want me (or any driver?) to set the extinguisher off while exiting a burning car.
I think from your tag you are a marshal yourself, so I find this a *very* odd stance, please explain.
I think the sentiment is more along the lines of :

If you can switch off the electrics and trigger the fire extinguisher before or while getting out, then Thanks (although the fire extinguisher may not be aimed at the seat of the car)

BUT (and it's a big BUT)

If it's burning that badly we understand if you don't. A burnt out car is one thing, a burnt out driver is quite another, and, believe me, we would all feel bad about it.

PJ
Old 11 Aug 2011, 21:31 (Ref:2938692)   #29
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
PJ, an eminently reasonable clarification, thanks

PS - all my extinguishers are aimed at the seat/lower body - it's my butt at risk!
Old 11 Aug 2011, 22:05 (Ref:2938713)   #30
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I find this a *very* odd stance, please explain.
Part of every marshals briefing before a meeting commences gives, in various guises, the following advice.

1. Look after your own safety.
2. Look after your team mates safety.
3. Look after the driver/spectators safety.
4. Look after the car.
4a. If all hell has broken loose go for 1-3 and sod the car, its replaceable but life isn't.
Old 14 Aug 2011, 20:28 (Ref:2939630)   #31
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Wrong assumption David. I want you to put all your efforts and thought to getting the hell out of there. No hands on anything but the buckle and the door and (in a single seater) possibly the steering wheel. By all means pull any switches you feel better about on the way to the accident or after getting out.

Anyway on-board fire extinguishers are only of modest use and only in certain circumstances. Certainly not worth putting yourself at two seconds risk for.

Regards

Jim
Old 14 Aug 2011, 21:03 (Ref:2939647)   #32
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have been involved in a couple of fires where turning off the electrics
failed to stop the fuel pump making the fireball much longer and difficult to deal with.

Eventually we had to cut the battery leads to stop one of them.

Since then I carry a suitable wire cutter to chop the batttery cable.
Old 17 Aug 2011, 08:28 (Ref:2942008)   #33
Steve Fox
Racer

United Kingdom
S.W.London
Steve Fox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure about letting off the extinguisher unless I had to, firstly it should only be set off when the car is stationary to be any use by which time I want to be halfway out of the car, secondly one of the nozzles are directed at me, very useful if the fire is already bad but wet and slippery if it isn't, I would certainly use it if I had to stop any distance from a Marshals point but I would prefer to be on the outside!
Old 17 Aug 2011, 22:06 (Ref:2942298)   #34
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm really not sure the onboard would make a lot of difference to that anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the idea is more a case of protecting the driver who can't get out of the car but finds himself concious in a burning car. Hit the button and get a minute's worth of cooling, fire retardent foam until the crews can arrive and put it out/assist you out. They're generally pointed at the driver (do they have a nozzle in the engine bay these days? Not sure they do - if someone can answer that please let us know) so if the driver's already out it's just going to save the seat.
Old 17 Aug 2011, 23:28 (Ref:2942319)   #35
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
....... They're generally pointed at the driver (do they have a nozzle in the engine bay these days? Not sure they do - if someone can answer that please let us know) ......
certainly are - with a 4 litre I use 1 at the driver's lower torso and 2 in the engine bay covering the fuel components as best possible.
K 3.2.3 is relevant.
Old 28 Sep 2011, 12:06 (Ref:2962140)   #36
StevenC
Rookie

United Kingdom
Stanhope
StevenC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always think of the onboard fire extiguishers as a means of buying time to escape rather than to extiguish a fire. After all they are only a relatively small volume. Also the priority is surely to get out ASAP.

One thing worth noting also is that they don't have bottles of foam on the posts at Spa it's only Powder.

Did anyone notice that it was 40 seconds before anyone aimed the powder at the seat of the fire?
Old 29 Sep 2011, 20:16 (Ref:2962681)   #37
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess they were just lucky, usually it takes them 40 minutes.