Old 5 Sep 2011, 10:47 (Ref:2951078)   #1
Alchamist
Rookie

England
Stone, Staffordshire
Alchamist should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A big thank you ...

Hi guys,

I'd just like to say a huge thank you to Chris, Jayne and the team that organised a fantastic "taster" day at Donington yesterday. Even though they may not have been firing on all cylinders that day, they still went out of their way to ensure that the 20 bleary eyed attendees were looked after and well briefed as to what it was all about and what to expect.

I would also like to say a huge thank you to Ian and Caroline (I think - I'm useless with names!) on Post 1 yesterday afternoon, who put up with a complete newbie asking questions and generally looking dumb (a perpetual state) without complaint or comment. They ensured I got included in what they were doing, including getting me "hands on" with the stalled car and the yellow flag (who would have thought that waving a flag could be so difficult ... I spent most of my time unravelling the thing instead of waving it!)

I am sure I will be returning to start my time as a marshal. My only issue is a lack of confidence in new situations ... the way the car park cleared in the morning as we watched as everyone went to their assigned posts was a spectacle in it's self ... I think the whole "where the hell do I go" factor might be the hardest part for me to overcome!

Still .. here's hoping I can get into an orange romper suit soon ... even if I think I'll have to have a custom made one (you can be short and thin, or tall and very fat, but not tall and reasonably fat like me it seems!)

Jay
Old 5 Sep 2011, 10:58 (Ref:2951084)   #2
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was good to see you all in Race Control yesterday, hopefully what I said to you made sense - I'm used to talking to drivers and they have a language all of their own!
With regards to overalls, as you saw, I'm very tall and very fat and do have mine made to measure, AWS who do the BMMC (Marshals Club) ones do it.
Old 5 Sep 2011, 11:05 (Ref:2951088)   #3
warweezil
Racer

England
Half way up on the left - far from Home
warweezil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AWS did an excellent job on my made to measure probans in a very short time. For me the hardest part was getting measured accurately.
Old 5 Sep 2011, 12:43 (Ref:2951157)   #4
Alchamist
Rookie

England
Stone, Staffordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
It was good to see you all in Race Control yesterday, hopefully what I said to you made sense - I'm used to talking to drivers and they have a language all of their own!
Yes, it was great to see Race Control and all that goes on - although I remember you turning round and saying that there was a car off in the gravel on monitor 4 ... and not being able to see it for the life of me! How you keep up with it all on there is beyond me
Old 5 Sep 2011, 13:05 (Ref:2951168)   #5
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Luck
Old 5 Sep 2011, 18:21 (Ref:2951295)   #6
CookieMonster
Rookie

Wales
Manchester
CookieMonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Jay,

Glad you enjoyed it and good to see that you've found Ten Tenths! And well done on remembering our names.

Don't worry about the flag waving - if you'd seen me on Saturday you would have realised that getting the flag tangled up is not just an issue for newbies...

Also, don't be afraid to ask questions - many a wise marshal has told me that you can never know everything there is to know about marshalling, and there is no such thing as a stupid question. Although there are sometimes stupid answers.

Hope to see you at the F3/GT meeting on the 24/25th!

Caroline
Old 5 Sep 2011, 18:46 (Ref:2951319)   #7
Alchamist
Rookie

England
Stone, Staffordshire
Thanks Caroline,

Of course, the real trick is knowing the questions to ask! I am under no illusions that I know anything about marshalling at this point in time. I have read the pocket guide cover to cover (or jpeg to jpeg as I have it as an ebook), which is why I had a vague idea as to which flag colour was which ... Except for the white flag, which I think was what my brain was waving at the point you asked me!

Hopefully will be able to make the next meet ... If I can get the paperwork through in time to be able to get my onesie etc!
Old 5 Sep 2011, 19:11 (Ref:2951329)   #8
MichaelG
Rookie

England
Mansfield, Notts
MichaelG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd just like to second that big thank you too. I also had a great day from start to finish. Loved the whole exposure to all the different forms of marshalling, race control, scrutineering, on post etc.

I ended up on post 2 at Redgate with Colin and his guys. They were a great bunch and all very knowledgeable, in fact Colin said the same, "there are no stupid questions, only sometimes stupid answers!".
Sounds like you had a little more action then us, apart from a few spins it was fairly quiet down there. Saying that it gave us plenty of time to chat to everyone and get some very good advice.

Still really buzzing from it and can't wait to get out there next time!

Once again big thanks to all involved!

Michael
Old 7 Sep 2011, 05:38 (Ref:2951998)   #9
Alchamist
Rookie

England
Stone, Staffordshire
Well, my BMMC membership forms were sent off yesterday ... so it looks like I will be bugging some more of you guys in the coming months ... I apologise now for that!
Old 7 Sep 2011, 09:36 (Ref:2952065)   #10
Bakersboy
Racer

England
Stoke on Trent
Bakersboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by warweezil View Post
AWS did an excellent job on my made to measure probans in a very short time. For me the hardest part was getting measured accurately.
Yes absolutely first class service from AWS but they do tend to shrink in the wardrobe over the winter
Old 7 Sep 2011, 11:13 (Ref:2952125)   #11
warweezil
Racer

England
Half way up on the left - far from Home
warweezil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakersboy View Post
Yes absolutely first class service from AWS but they do tend to shrink in the wardrobe over the winter
Its a problem... might even be contagious as it seems to affect my Viper Belt too
Old 7 Sep 2011, 22:01 (Ref:2952431)   #12
schrammy
Racer

England
Scratby
schrammy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
With regards to overalls, as you saw, I'm very tall and very fat and do have mine made to measure, AWS who do the BMMC (Marshals Club) ones do it.
Are you really Dave, never noticed before...................................
Old 8 Sep 2011, 10:21 (Ref:2952594)   #13
Stone-kicker
Racer

England
Stone-kicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't worry about the overalls, I wouldn't recommend anyone to buy them until you have really decided that you enjoy marshalling.

Get yourself good waterproof boots and a set of waterproof jacket and trousers and some good gloves (welding gauntlets). These can all be used for other things in life whereas the overalls really don't cut it as fashion accessories.

Old 8 Sep 2011, 10:28 (Ref:2952597)   #14
Alchamist
Rookie

England
Stone, Staffordshire
I suppose it would show everyone that I was a complete newbie
Old 8 Sep 2011, 19:33 (Ref:2952894)   #15
MichaelG
Rookie

England
Mansfield, Notts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchamist View Post
Well, my BMMC membership forms were sent off yesterday ... so it looks like I will be bugging some more of you guys in the coming months ... I apologise now for that!
Think I'm going to wait and just get 2012 membership. I assume you have to wait until after 1st Oct to send all the forms off? Can't send them early?
Old 8 Sep 2011, 23:18 (Ref:2952966)   #16
Stone-kicker
Racer

England
Stone-kicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You have to wait until October 1 for the club membership but not to marshal, just volunteer and come and join us as a "guest"
Old 17 Sep 2011, 11:16 (Ref:2956813)   #17
Alchamist
Rookie

England
Stone, Staffordshire
Just got my tickets and passes through for Donington next weekend. If anyone sees a clueless looking individual around there Saturday morning, point me in the right direction please!
Old 17 Sep 2011, 15:49 (Ref:2956906)   #18
David Owen
Racer

David Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jay and Michael, why not come and join us up the road at Cadwell Park for the 750 meeting in October (8th & 9th)? It will be great and you will be made most welcome. In any event welcome to Marshalling, stay safe and enjoy it!

Old 17 Sep 2011, 16:27 (Ref:2956915)   #19
Alchamist
Rookie

England
Stone, Staffordshire
Perhaps next year, but unfortunately getting the missus' sign off on a 300 mile round trip might prove to be a bit difficult this time of year or else I would have taken you up on that offer.
Old 18 Sep 2011, 13:55 (Ref:2957632)   #20
MichaelG
Rookie

England
Mansfield, Notts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Owen View Post
Jay and Michael, why not come and join us up the road at Cadwell Park for the 750 meeting in October (8th & 9th)? It will be great and you will be made most welcome. In any event welcome to Marshalling, stay safe and enjoy it!

I might just take you up on that offer. I love Cadwell Park, one of my favourites though haven't had chance to go there recently, not far from me too.

I guess it doesn't matter that I'm not registered yet? Also, I haven't got any proban overalls or reflective waterproofs etc yet (have some very good waterproofs but there not even remotely reflective). I guess I'll need to buy at least a reflective tabard or similar?
Old 19 Sep 2011, 17:21 (Ref:2958138)   #21
David Owen
Racer

David Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael, come along - you don't need to be a member- we have orange tabards to loan (or some overalls if you just happen to fit the sizes (not large unfortunately)). You would be made really welcome and with it being the 750 finale it will be a fantastic weekend.

Free post maps, tea / coffee and biscuits are available at sign on.

PM if you are interested.

Last edited by David Owen; 19 Sep 2011 at 17:22. Reason: missing bracket
Old 20 Sep 2011, 20:45 (Ref:2958753)   #22
Pete Howarth
Veteran

England
New Waltham
Pete Howarth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Owen View Post
Michael, come along - you don't need to be a member- we have orange tabards to loan (or some overalls if you just happen to fit the sizes (not large unfortunately).
I'm sure I've got a spare larger sized overalls that could be loaned if required.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 12:40 (Ref:2959054)   #23
MichaelG
Rookie

England
Mansfield, Notts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Howarth View Post
I'm sure I've got a spare larger sized overalls that could be loaned if required.
Thanks for the offer though I don't think I'll need any larger sized overalls, only a 30" waist at most
Old 24 Sep 2011, 13:25 (Ref:2960362)   #24
Sticker Rub
Racer

United Kingdom
Peterborough
Sticker Rub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelG View Post
Thanks for the offer though I don't think I'll need any larger sized overalls, only a 30" waist at most
Oi! Stop showing off!
Old 24 Sep 2011, 21:45 (Ref:2960509)   #25
Bakersboy
Racer

England
Stoke on Trent
Bakersboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few pork pies will cure that.