Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 31 Oct 2012, 23:57 (Ref:3160824)   #151
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Brown View Post
1. The rule 3.8.(1) Motorsport rule book that the clubs are required to follow is totally inadequate and in fact would not be policable without hiding behind the Judge of Fact scenario. There are other guidelines i.e. the race organisers hand book but these are not rules that can be applied. It fails in the following areas:

No meter height requirement

No meter angle requirement

No windsock requirement

No maximum wind speed requirement

No clear area requirement

All these are critical to getting accurate readings.
Because the measurement of noise has so many var
iables I believe that the only possible solution is that the sport employ the services of an Acoustic Consultant who could write the rule properly and noise test and set an individual noise level at each circuit measuring point. Then if say the level at the Manfeild measuring point was 95dba and perhaps Levels with its measuring point confines was 98dba then a car running at 95dba at Manfeild would also comply at Levels with no changes. This could only happen with expert advice and at considerable cost. Also Resource Consent requirements would have to be taken into consideration.
Welcome along Bill.
Go easy on the common sense round here tho. We don't want you to stick out like a sore thumb... ;-)

Seriously, it is great to see someone like yourself contributing.
Old 31 Oct 2012, 23:58 (Ref:3160826)   #152
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
1. The rule 3.8.(1) Motorsport rule book that the clubs are required to follow is totally inadequate and in fact would not be policable without hiding behind the Judge of Fact scenario. There are other guidelines i.e. the race organisers hand book but these are not rules that can be applied. It fails in the following areas:

No windsock requirement

100% correct in every respect. Where some of the issues around the countryside arise from is that the event organisers have not taken the trouble to arm themselves with the knowledge to be able to apply the points that Bill has raised
Old 1 Nov 2012, 00:04 (Ref:3160828)   #153
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
RogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

No windsock requirement

Because the measurement of noise has so many var
iables I believe that the only possible solution is that the sport employ the services of an Acoustic Consultant who could write the rule properly and noise test and set an individual noise level at each circuit measuring point. Then if say the level at the Manfeild measuring point was 95dba and perhaps Levels with its measuring point confines was 98dba then a car running at 95dba at Manfeild would also comply at Levels with no changes. This could only happen with expert advice and at considerable cost. Also Resource Consent requirements would have to be taken into consideration.
A good summary Bill - I agree that any test done under the current MSNZ or Council protocol would never stand up to robust scrutiny and if cars are sent home because they fail the noise test such a ruling could be successfully challenged.
When I was doing the research for the TACCOC article (post #126) it was interesting how much the road surface contributed to a reading. If a car read, for example 95dB, up to 5dB of the reading could be from road generated noise not car generated noise. The amount of road noise was dependent of weather conditions and the type and age of the road surface.
Another reason why readings don't stand up to scrutiny.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 05:59 (Ref:3160885)   #154
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by HProject View Post
Rap's been around since the '70's hasn't it? If you want to be critical of gen Y's musical tastes, at least be correct.
yeah can you please get it right next time! (loved your defending comment on_to_it)
nobodys forcing you to listen to the music today, just sayin..

Quote:
Originally Posted by on_to_it View Post
I noticed (who the ****'s Josh) but didn't comment on it. And I'm well over 20...

Oh and by the way, nice shot of Owens ST down the front straight from the infield. Good composition.
cmon we all know your a belieber
Old 1 Nov 2012, 06:21 (Ref:3160892)   #155
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
nobodys forcing you to listen to the music today, just sayin..

cmon we all know your a belieber
Oh come on FAS, humour me...when were you born (and no porkies please)?

As far as rap is concerned, I'm a Marshall Mathers fan and the rest are just pretenders I'm afraid.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 07:17 (Ref:3160903)   #156
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
A good summary Bill - I agree that any test done under the current MSNZ or Council protocol would never stand up to robust scrutiny and if cars are sent home because they fail the noise test such a ruling could be successfully challenged.
When I was doing the research for the TACCOC article (post #126) it was interesting how much the road surface contributed to a reading. If a car read, for example 95dB, up to 5dB of the reading could be from road generated noise not car generated noise. The amount of road noise was dependent of weather conditions and the type and age of the road surface.
Another reason why readings don't stand up to scrutiny.
Very interesting the noise issue in NZ by the sound of it. Over here in Oz the CAMS regs ain't that different from MNZ by the sound of it but there are Australian Standards on the use of the equipment, which set out a range of requirements - with those in hand and complied to, the readings are more robust.

Maybe an approach along those lines is the go?

One strange thing I saw earlier in the thread is that the MNZ noise level limits son't provide for variations due to atmospheric conditions, whereas the Australian Standards do - can make a really quite significant difference, that point right there.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 08:13 (Ref:3160929)   #157
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Mr Revhead has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:

As far as rap is concerned, I'm a Marshall Mathers fan and the rest are just pretenders I'm afraid.
It's just the same as V8s vs Rotary
One sounds awesome and makes me weak at the knees. the other makes me want to stab my ears out
Old 1 Nov 2012, 09:21 (Ref:3160947)   #158
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Revhead View Post
One sounds awesome and makes me weak at the knees. the other makes me want to stab my ears out
I'll take your word for that Rev!
Old 1 Nov 2012, 11:04 (Ref:3161008)   #159
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Revhead View Post

but dont forget one looks like a family car and one looks like a sports car.

theres good and bad in both

fuuny how the changes at this track and has turned into a engineering discussion on how we detect noise
Old 1 Nov 2012, 13:22 (Ref:3161068)   #160
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:

thats ok I dont even eat pork its against my religion, Im 18 but sometimes act like a 10 yr old

I dont even know who that is, besides i dont listen to that commercial crap on tv, I like da underground stuff, some guys from your country are pretty good listening. and no im not talking about Scribe lol.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 18:47 (Ref:3161159)   #161
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
I dont even know who that is...
I bet you do, he's more widely known as Eminem (think about that and you'll see why)
Old 1 Nov 2012, 20:53 (Ref:3161211)   #162
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Noise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
As an aside, we were advised when reading one council report that their staff member had been unable to take recordings from one of the approved sites becasue of the noise made from birds who were feeding close by. For a time it was not difficult to arrange for some grain to be scattered close to the measuring points for our January meeting
Like it!

I think that most people have an inbuilt selective bias regarding noise. If it is their favourite car/band/dog/child/rooster making the noise, it is OK.

If it is someone else's favourite car/band/dog/child/rooster it is an intrusion and should be stopped.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 21:54 (Ref:3161251)   #163
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
Like it!

I think that most people have an inbuilt selective bias regarding noise. If it is their favourite car/band/dog/child/rooster making the noise, it is OK.

If it is someone else's favourite car/band/dog/child/rooster it is an intrusion and should be stopped.
Yep. Nothing worse than the sound of someone else having fun.

In Timaru, when the lawnmowers stop, the locals whip themselves into a frenzy if they can hear the distant sound of motorsport
Old 1 Nov 2012, 22:26 (Ref:3161273)   #164
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus_nz View Post

In Timaru, when the lawnmowers stop, the locals whip themselves into a frenzy if they can hear the distant sound of motorsport
Fortunately most of the frenzy is from the ones who are mowing their lawns so as to be able to get a leave pass to attend the motor racing, it's the ones with the push mowers and who still use blade shears to trim the edges while wearing a floral patterned sun frock and a big floppy hat (applies to both genders) that cause the problem

Old 1 Nov 2012, 23:54 (Ref:3161320)   #165
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i heard from a person who lives in Tuakau that you could hear the SuperTourers from that far away! crazy but cool at the same time
Old 1 Nov 2012, 23:56 (Ref:3161322)   #166
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Evomike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
i heard from a person who lives in Tuakau that you could hear the SuperTourers from that far away! crazy but cool at the same time
Must have been a good breeze...I live on Northern side of residential Pukekohe...couldn't hear them....and you can hear the track from my place sometimes.
Old 2 Nov 2012, 02:23 (Ref:3161361)   #167
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
Check how sound waves travel and all about frequency & pitch etc then you will start to understand stand why.

Quite often certain classes of cars are not heard say 3km from the circuit while others sound like they are in your living room. There is a reason and it is not all about wind direction.

It is a bit like a black science but as circuits have been required to live with all this and apply the requirements since about the mid to late 1980's it should not be such a surprise to everyone today.

Most of the difficulties with residents etc today is caused by the selfish few who made a concious decision to ignore the requirements and guidelines in earlier days. One reaps what they sow.
Old 2 Nov 2012, 04:11 (Ref:3161394)   #168
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just be thankful the V16 BRM's aren't still running then. (Not that they ever did run for very long, if at all... Even Nick Mason has sold his to Bernie as even today, it is too difficult and expensive to run.)
It was said that you could hear that supercharged V16 on full song at Silverstone, 10 miles (16km) away, in Towcester - and many an enthusiast recognised it and rushed over to the circuit.

Hearing that V16 running was always on my bucket list and has now been ticked off.

The Waitemata VCC Chelsea Hillclimb is only yards away from our house, yet in recent years, I have had to find out the date in advance, as we can no longer rely on the noise to let us know when it is on! Must be the growing trees in the reserve that also now block our view...
Old 2 Nov 2012, 04:32 (Ref:3161400)   #169
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Just be thankful the V16 BRM's aren't still running then. (Not that they ever did run for very long, if at all... Even Nick Mason has sold his to Bernie as even today, it is too difficult and expensive to run.)
It was said that you could hear that supercharged V16 on full song at Silverstone, 10 miles (16km) away, in Towcester - and many an enthusiast recognised it and rushed over to the circuit.

Hearing that V16 running was always on my bucket list and has now been ticked off.
Definitely would have been able to hear it in Towcester on a cloudy day - today's F1 cars are the same - sounds like they're very nearby when the atmospheric conditions are right.

I've seen & heard the BRM running on a couple of occasions and it sounds great but not really any louder than other historic or current F1 / F3000 / Sports prototypes etc. Big difference with the BRM is the pitch - absolutely howls/screams that is more a subjective thing.
Old 2 Nov 2012, 08:41 (Ref:3161470)   #170
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:

The Waitemata VCC Chelsea Hillclimb is only yards away from our house, yet in recent years, I have had to find out the date in advance, as we can no longer rely on the noise to let us know when it is on! Must be the growing trees in the reserve that also now block our view...
Tell you what, I went to the Melbourne GP back in '05 and was staying in Northcote which is some considerable distance from Albert Park, and I could hear the F1 cars easily. They were running around 140dB from memory, so loud it actually hurt if you didn't have ear plugs in...
Old 2 Nov 2012, 11:33 (Ref:3161538)   #171
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
Quote:
I bet you do, he's more widely known as Eminem (think about that and you'll see why)
yeah not a fan of him either

Quote:

wow thats a looong way away to be hearing an engine! I think it terms of loudness the top fuel dragsters will leave F1's in the dust, standing next to a dragcar will make your ears pop out. would like to hear NASCARS from a distant, apparently theyve been heard from 15 kays away, the loudest natural things to be heard on earth is probably the thunders that come out of lightning strikes.
Old 2 Nov 2012, 20:17 (Ref:3161674)   #172
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Strangely, at Hampton Downs, we can't hear the drag cars at Meremere, just up the road. Maybe it is because they are running towards HD rather than away?

Tonight is the opening night at Western Springs Speedway and occasionally, we can hear the cars across the water, but it is not loud.

Years ago, in the UK, we could hear the crowds at a second division soccer match, 3 miles away as the crow flies, but we were at the highest point in the county and they were down at almost sea level.

Locally, the Chelsea Primary school PA system, occasionally power boats on the upper harbour, helicopters (police and armed services), aircraft to and from Whenuapai, Harley motorbikes, noisy parties at weekends, the usual lawnmowers, water blasters, chainsaws, noisy kids, barking dogs, all shatter the peace at some point, but as long as my sleep isn't disturbed and the noise finishes before midnight, it really doesn't matter that much.
Old 2 Nov 2012, 20:57 (Ref:3161682)   #173
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's funny to me all of these people expect to live around thousands of other people, industry, business and places of sport and then expect to live in still silence.

One of the places I grew up my subdivision was right smack next to the boundary of a military base. Right on the other side of the boundary just a 1000 meters away, they would fire 105mm, 155mm, 203mm cannon artillery as well as rockets and mortars at the mountains. Add in air force planes bombing, helicopters, machine guns and flares that would light up my room at night, the house would shake and shudder 24 hours a day and sometimes the helicopters would only be 100 feet over the house one after another, so you would have to shout to be heard.

It's just the way it was and no one complained. I find it funny people would whine about a few days of racing they might not even be able to hear and that will bring an economic benefit to the area. I also find it funny people set up house near a race track and never expect to hear noise. I call these people, "stupid people".
Old 2 Nov 2012, 21:16 (Ref:3161693)   #174
flyingduck
Veteran

flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mountain star in NZ the feelings of few always out ways the happiness of many.
Old 2 Nov 2012, 21:22 (Ref:3161699)   #175
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
RogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

The Waitemata VCC Chelsea Hillclimb is only yards away from our house, yet in recent years, I have had to find out the date in advance, as we can no longer rely on the noise to let us know when it is on! ...
Don't have to wait long Ray - Sunday 11 November. Was going to run the A40 Special now with three straight through exhaust pipes as per original but its much too loud for a built up residential area so the quieter Series 1 Lotus 7 will get a run.