Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 16 May 2013, 05:23 (Ref:3248234)   #1
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Indy500 spectating advice

Hi All,

I'm heading over for my first 500 next week. I just have a few questions about raceday protocol. This is also an open invitation to chuck in your 2 penneth over what i should or should not be doing when there.

1. What time should i get there on raceday? I see the track opens at 5:30am, but as i have a seat, is it really necessary for me to turn up at sparrows fart?

2. How to get there - How are the shuttle buses? I am staying in downtown Indy and have a hire car and a parking lot pass. I would like to have a beer on raceday so would like an alternative to driving.

3. Is there FM trackside radio for commentary? I also hear you can tune in to the team radio trackside, is that right? Would i need a special scanner for that?

If i think of anything else, i'll update this opening post.

Any thoughts gratefully received. Cheers!
Old 16 May 2013, 06:04 (Ref:3248239)   #2
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
Hi All,

I'm heading over for my first 500 next week. I just have a few questions about raceday protocol. This is also an open invitation to chuck in your 2 penneth over what i should or should not be doing when there.

1. What time should i get there on raceday? I see the track opens at 5:30am, but as i have a seat, is it really necessary for me to turn up at sparrows fart?

2. How to get there - How are the shuttle buses? I am staying in downtown Indy and have a hire car and a parking lot pass. I would like to have a beer on raceday so would like an alternative to driving.

3. Is there FM trackside radio for commentary? I also hear you can tune in to the team radio trackside, is that right? Would i need a special scanner for that?

Firstly, enjoy it! I went over there in 2011 for my first 500, can't wait to get back there some time soon.

1 - It is a good idea to get there early, there is alot of pre-race festivities going on and so on, plus you can walk around abit and soak it all up.

2 - I would highly recommend the shuttle bus. In 2011 they were running shuttles from Downtown from 7am if memory serves, and they close off roads to everything except the shuttle's too which whisks you straight there. You can drive, but expect traffic delays.

3 - There were headsets you could buy trackside 2011 which tuned into the ABC broadcast and (i think) team radio's, i didn't get one though.
Old 16 May 2013, 12:56 (Ref:3248391)   #3
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hope this helps.

Hhttp://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/indy500/eventinfo/52123/
Old 16 May 2013, 15:36 (Ref:3248451)   #4
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Where are your seats?
Old 16 May 2013, 16:21 (Ref:3248458)   #5
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Grandstand A. The seasts are directly opposite the scoring tower.

Thanks for the info so far.
Old 16 May 2013, 16:34 (Ref:3248461)   #6
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Grandstand A. The seasts are directly opposite the scoring tower.

Thanks for the info so far.
So you're in the Hulman Canyon, unless you're in the Penthouse of A you won't see much but you'll get a good view of the start, pre-race and the pit exit.

They've removed 10% of the capacity of the total track this year which includes some of the lower seats on the front stretch so you'll have a good view that is unobstructed of the grid and pre-race. If you're lucky you got one of the seats that oversees turn 1.

Make sure you get there early because A), its good to get there early before the crowds and B), because IMS has bench seats which are smaller than the average North American ass size a problem persists of people stretching out into their neighbouring seats, get there early and 'claim your space.' I've had this problem at multiple tracks including IMS. Sometimes, people without a ticket that have snuck in past the useless yellowshirts will sit next to their friend screwing up the whole alignment. This is more of a problem at Monza in Italy and Bristol Motor Speedway but it happened one of the 5 times I've to IMS.
Old 16 May 2013, 18:56 (Ref:3248497)   #7
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In regards to #2, I took a shuttle bus from the south end of the track to the airport last year. I stayed overnight at an airport hotel. They also buses to downtown, however:

http://indysportsparking.com/
Old 19 May 2013, 17:32 (Ref:3249932)   #8
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Hi All,

We sat in A box about 10 frows from the fence for 3 years right across from the scoring pylon.I thought it was great. Good pit view and also entering turn 1.

Here are my thoughts to your questions from my experience in '89,'93,'94.
(all times are local cst time)

1. We would try and be at our seats at 9:00a.m. Fun to watch the grid walk
with all of the celebrities. Get there as early as you want , but just make
it by 9 a.m.

2. How to get there? If you are staying downtown thats perfect. We would
stay an hour outside of Indy and drive to downtown to take the shuttle.
We would catch it near Union Station. There are several locations
downtown to catch the shuttle from. I think the dome is also one of them.
If you can get a roundtrip ticket a day or two before the better.
When its race day, last thing you want to do is get caught in a shuttle
ticket line and lose time. There should be plenty of web info on shuttles.
Just remember where your shuttle will be after the race. There will be
about a 30 minute wait in line for the shuttle after the race.
I think we got on the shuttle at about 8 a.m.

3. I can not stress enough how important a scanner is with a good pair
of noise reducing headphones. Dont know if you have scanned before
but you can go on the cheap and get a radio shack scanner, a pair of
(drugstore)sony earbuds, then put a pair safety headphones over that.
The headphones can be bought at a hardware store in their safety dept.
Near the chainsaws. It is very loud at those seats beacause the engine
noise echos off of both sides of the track stands. Kinda like being in a
canyon. Here is a link for the frequencies:
http://www.racebyrace.com/drivers/irldrivers.phtml

Follow the track info of what you can bring in. Bring 2 $5 ponchos.
One for you and one for your gear and cooler .

See the museum and take a tour of the track. It is truly an amazing place on earth.

Good luck!
Old 20 May 2013, 01:14 (Ref:3250189)   #9
Boiler_81
Rookie

Boiler_81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here are some thoughts from a native Hoosier. I have attended every 500 since 1982 plus 1977.

1.) I still get to the track early to see the pre race festivities. Front straight seats are not my personal favorite but are not bad for a first timer to see the pre race activity and pit stop action. If you make a return trip, seats in one of the turns as high as you can get are my preference. I currently have seats in turn one and turn four. My preference is to be prior to the apex of one and after the apex of four.

2.) I have always driven to the track. With many years of experience I am able to get in out within a reasonable time frame. Since you are staying downtown and would have to rent a car, I would think the shuttle would be a good way to go.

3.) I have used a scanner for years. You can listen to the teams, race control, PA system, ABC television and the IMS radio network over the scanner. The race is broadcast by a local radio station (WFNI). You could buy a cheap portable AM radio and use the safety ear muffs referenced in CanAmMan's post and listen to the race on AM. I have also seen rental scanners at the track. I am not sure what is involved with that but it is also an option.

Here are some other things to do during race weekend.

Thursday - The Hoosier 100 at the State Fair grounds. http://hoosier100.com/ The cars which run there were at one time part of the Indy USAC championship. It is loud and crazy. Watching those high horsepower cars drive the dirt of the Fairgrounds is something every racing fan should see at least once. Foyt, Andretti, the Unsers and many other Indy drivers from the 60s and 70s competed in the 100.

Friday – Carb day at the Speedway. This was traditionally the day tuning was done to the carburetors back in the day. Of course carburetors have not been used in decades but the name remains. This is the final practice session prior to the race.

Friday night – Carb night burger bash, 96th Street Steakburgers, 4715 E. 96th Street, Indianapolis. This is a charity event hosted by a local radio show focused on racing. It is a very casual and fun time. Every year there are several drivers who stop by and are interviewed on the show and then mingle with the crowd.

Saturday - http://www.500festival.com/parade I have never had a desire to go to the parade, but there are those who enjoy it.

Saturday Night – Little 500 at Anderson Speedway. http://www.andersonspeedway.com/index.html I have never been to this race. I keep saying I am going to go but never get there.

Get to the Museum at some point. I have no idea what day would be best. Every time I have gone has been outside of the 500 week.

One last thing, get a pork tenderloin sandwich at the track, it is a race tradition.

Best of luck and enjoy your stay in Indianapolis and soak in as much of the atmosphere as possible.
Old 20 May 2013, 05:46 (Ref:3250268)   #10
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Hey, thanks for those concise answers. Good info.

We'll be arriving at IMS on Friday morning to see practice and the Lights. Are the grandstands open access? I was hoping that we would 'try' some of the other seats for future reference.

Was already planning on the Burger Bash. I listen to 'Trackside' podcasts regularly.

Didn't know about the Anderson Speedway thing. I was planning on going to 'Night Before the 500' at IRP. How do they stack up against one another?

Cheers

Peat
Old 20 May 2013, 06:51 (Ref:3250302)   #11
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The night before the 500 is brilliant and would highly recommend it
Old 20 May 2013, 12:17 (Ref:3250489)   #12
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Other good stops in Indy:

http://www.unionjackpub-broadripple.com/

http://www.stelmos.com/
Old 21 May 2013, 00:27 (Ref:3250841)   #13
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
ujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You my friend and welcome guest are not going to believe what you are seeing. Get a bronze badge (100 dollars US) for access to Gasoline Alley Garage Area. You get this badge from the Credentials Office at the track corner of 16th St. and Georgetown Rd. Speedway IN. (Speedway, IN is the location of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway FYI). This badge gives to special access to the team garages and all that goes with that. You may personally meet your favorite driver there and team members in a very restricted and personal environment. Don't be bashful, as you will meet some real friendly Yanks.

Enjoy.

Long time vet.

Mike.
Old 21 May 2013, 03:16 (Ref:3250882)   #14
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
ujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You won't find many fans knowing this website. You might want to peruse it while you are anxiously waithing for the plane to America. Lots of good info from a local.
http://www.indymotorspeedway.com/index.html

Also, don't forget to visit the Snake Pit at the track on Saturday sometime. Not Sunday.
Old 21 May 2013, 04:07 (Ref:3250899)   #15
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
I forgot: http://www.indy500snakepit.com/

and of course on twitter for more info:
https://twitter.com/indy500snakepit

Not sure of the actual times for this thrill of a lifetime experience. You could probably do better by asking your friendly cocktail waitress at your hotel about this. lol. On second thought I believe this is a Sunday only event. Oh well. Maybe you will get lucky. Wink wink.

Last edited by ujoint; 21 May 2013 at 04:16.
Old 21 May 2013, 17:54 (Ref:3251248)   #16
Boiler_81
Rookie

It's not like the old days. I saw some things there as a young teen which I should have not seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujoint View Post
I forgot: http://www.indy500snakepit.com/

and of course on twitter for more info:
https://twitter.com/indy500snakepit

Not sure of the actual times for this thrill of a lifetime experience. You could probably do better by asking your friendly cocktail waitress at your hotel about this. lol. On second thought I believe this is a Sunday only event. Oh well. Maybe you will get lucky. Wink wink.
Old 27 May 2013, 23:16 (Ref:3254270)   #17
Boiler_81
Rookie

Please let us know what your thought of your experience.

Quote:
Hey, thanks for those concise answers. Good info.

We'll be arriving at IMS on Friday morning to see practice and the Lights. Are the grandstands open access? I was hoping that we would 'try' some of the other seats for future reference.

Was already planning on the Burger Bash. I listen to 'Trackside' podcasts regularly.

Didn't know about the Anderson Speedway thing. I was planning on going to 'Night Before the 500' at IRP. How do they stack up against one another?

Cheers

Peat
Old 31 May 2013, 15:06 (Ref:3256021)   #18
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Hey all.

I landed back in the UK yesterday and am just about returning to the land of the living.

What a weekend.

We arrived at at the speedway at 10am on Friday. The atmosphere around the outside of the track where people were camping and parking thier RV's was very Le Mans-esque. Loved it.

Inside the track, i was in awe. Although it seemed smaller than i was expecting, i was still having to pinch myself that i was actually there. The first cars on track i saw were the IndyCars. The turbo's are quite easy on the ear and you can really hear the difference between Chevy & Honda when you are trackside.

I watched the session from turn one. I started on the bottom deck and then went up to the penthouse seats. They are brilliant!

Had some lunch and wandered down to Turn 4 where we watched the Indy Lights from. That was one hell of a race, not bad for my first oval!

Afterwards, i wandered into the infield at T3 where the tailgating shenanigans were well underway. Not really my cup of tea but i felt it was important to take a look and soak it all in. I then bought some tat and rented a scanner and headed for the hotel - couldn't be bothered with seeing Poison.

We then drove up to 96th Street for the 1070 The Fan Burger Bash. I have been a listener for a few years but had no idea what to expect. The place was way out of town but absolutley rammed! It was great, truely a highlight. Getting to see the likes of Dixon, Rutherford, Carpenter, Daly, Mann & Tagliani in a less formal atmosphere was refreshing and they seemed to enjoy themselves. Alex Tagliani was a hoot! The raffle went on a bit too long but i got a PressDog glass out of it.

Saturday was spent mooching around the city which is nice but small. As with everywhere in America, it seems the immediate centres are nice but soon becomes rough as you go away from the hub.

We went up to IRP for the 'Night Before the 500' which was really cool. I loved the place but sadly the rain came and looked like it was never leaving. After a great USF2000 race, we decided to call it a day with the early start on Sunday. I heard on Sunday that the other 2 races did eventually take place but really late.

Sunday started at 7am with a walk downtown to get get a bus shuttle ticket. Bumped into Max Papis outside the JW Marriott and even got interviewed by local TV. The shuttle to the track was superb and we walked straight in. (I gather the new bag-checking procedure caused big delays as it got busier) I was gobsmacked upon arrival that we were allowed on the track, that was a real treat. Also checked out Gasoline Alley and the fanzone before heading back over to take our seats.

The pomp and ceremony went on a bit and was heavily military based. All seemed a bit much for this english gentleman but i politley sat/stood through it.

The atmosphere gradually ramped up for the race and allowed me to forget how cold it was! The race itself was exceptional. The constant lead changes were quite exhausting but as a spectacle it was second to none. The crowd was fantastic and the place went mental when TK hit the front with 3 to go.

The day after, we headed up to the Hall of Fame which wasnt as impressive as i'd been lead to believe. But, just as it was getting busy we wandered over to the paddock to see what we could see. Walking straight into Gasoline alley, we stood in the KV garage, talking to mechanics as they stripped down the race-winning car. How cool is that? Also still around were Foyt & RLR, the former having a rather worse-for-wear Conor Daly tooling around in the garage. Then had a wander around the Pagoda and stands before being politely told by a yellow-shirt that the circuit was not open to the public.

We then drove off to Chicago where we spent the rest of our trip.

It was a fantastic weekend and i would definately go back. Properly smitten! Thanks to everyone who contributed here and helped me sculpt the great time i had.

Cheers

Pete
Old 31 May 2013, 16:37 (Ref:3256068)   #19
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Awesome. Thanks for the synopsis, sounds like it was everything you wanted it to be *jealous noises*.
Old 31 May 2013, 16:59 (Ref:3256074)   #20
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
The IMS museum was probably impressive in the 1970s, really they need to spend some of the 100 Million dollar government handout/loan they are getting on upgrading it, and the minuscule scoreboards, and the seating, and the gates, and the infield, and plumbing and so on so on.
Old 31 May 2013, 21:23 (Ref:3256156)   #21
Boiler_81
Rookie

I agree the museum is ready for another upgrade. The current facility opened in 1976 and was a great improvement on the previous building. However, it is really to small for the current collection. There are a lot of cars in the basement which get rotated to the floor on a periodic basis. A facility which could display all of the collection and leave room for growth would be great.

The rest with the exception of the gates would not be a priority for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
The IMS museum was probably impressive in the 1970s, really they need to spend some of the 100 Million dollar government handout/loan they are getting on upgrading it, and the minuscule scoreboards, and the seating, and the gates, and the infield, and plumbing and so on so on.
Old 31 May 2013, 21:29 (Ref:3256159)   #22
Boiler_81
Rookie

I am glad you had a good time. I love hearing first timers relay their experiences.

I can understand how an Englishman would get bored with the pre race. However, it is Memorial day on which we honor the war dead. It is also very traditional and is pretty much the same every year. I was not however impressed with Sandi Patty's version of the National Anthem.

What did you think of your front straight seats?
Old 31 May 2013, 22:19 (Ref:3256179)   #23
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
They were ok. I could just see them coming around 4, then again after the S/F line all the way into and halfway around 1.

Most of the passing happened into 1 and seeing the Pitlane was a plus. The screen (althrough annoyingly obscured by a speaker directly in my eye-line) and the scanner filled in the gaps so i stayed well up on what was happening.

I apprieciate there are much much better seats, but i was more than happy with what i had infront of me.

The demographic of the crowd around me was pretty diverse. It was a mixture of families, racefans and drunk college kids. Luckily, most of the people on my row arrived just in time for the green flag, then disappeared again until 10 to go. Loads of space to spread out.
Old 1 Jun 2013, 13:30 (Ref:3256388)   #24
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Glad to hear you had a blast! As much as I loved my trip last year, I am a little jealous of you for getting to see TK win at last. The place went mental when he took the lead in the closing stages last year, can't imagine what I was like when he won. I'll be back for sure, I don't think anyone could do just one Indy 500!