Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 7 Jul 2003, 22:39 (Ref:655335)   #1
BaySports
Rookie

BaySports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hispanic Nascar Driver Next Year?

Next year, one NASCAR Team will be racing with a hispanic driver in their car. Now, what is needed is for all the racing fans to step up and support their sport!!! We need 1,000,000 Hispanic Americans to sign our petition for our sponsor, an unnamed money transfer company (they are big, trust me), and we must have these names within the next 30 days!!! Come on NASCAR fans, give us a hand, the rest of you know as well as I do that this sport would not be here today if it wasn't for you!! So step up and support the newest team in NASCAR!!! If you would like to sign the petition, e-mail us your name and the state in which you send money to the most. E-mail us at pc@adverwebmedia.com

Thanks,
A hard up owner
Old 7 Jul 2003, 23:57 (Ref:655388)   #2
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
get off your nut you kook
if NASCAR wants to get a 'hispanic' driver they'll promote carlos contreras from the Truck series, he races one of the petty enterprise trucks- well he did last year.
do your home work before launching petitions and maybe you'll have more success. and therer are plenty of 'Hispanic' driver which i am sure ou mean Mexican because the other countries (we have brasil which is dumping racers on US shores like refugees-Colombia which offered up JPM to CART and F1 ad Jose Diaz in Trans am from PuertoRico) do your home work and ask the already supported drivers to go NASCAR there may be a reason they haven't tried and 'rednecks' are not the reason. most people dream of F1 and Indy, NASCAR is a relatively new toptier of racing. Around for 50 years and only now (past 15 years or so) has it become a goal.
Get a good driver and sponsorship will follow, go ask the petty's where carlos is or even better ask Mario dominguez to switch, or get Michel Jourdain, or ask Adrian fernandez to switch. and unknown 'hipanic' isn't going to make waves or matter.
I signed the petition anyway-because everyone needs a chance.
I think you are going about it the wrong way.
And 'Hispanic' by definition in webster's english dictionary is a person residing in Spain-nee Hispanola.
Latinos are the western hemisphere cousins to hispanics
Old 13 Jul 2003, 01:48 (Ref:659815)   #3
Roselady3
Veteran

Roselady3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the American Politically Correct world, any person of spanish dessent is called Hispanic. This would include Mexico, South America & Spain. All spanish speaking countries.

This is the PC guidlines given in American schools.
Old 13 Jul 2003, 02:10 (Ref:659816)   #4
gttouring
Veteran

It should be noted that it is actually incorrec. it is unfortunate and Webster's is the American Dictionary.
Macquaries in Australia says the same thing
TSK tsK
Old 19 Aug 2003, 17:23 (Ref:692421)   #5
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think that the term Hispanic is used by people of Spanish, Mexican, and Latin American descent to describe themsleves in this country. The Mexicans in South Texas and Southern California all refer to themselves as Hispanic. As do the Puerto Ricans and Cubanos in South Florida. It is a term they have chosen and is used by others to describe them as well.

All a hispanic driver, no matter his place of birth, needs to compete in NASCAR is backing. Would Adrian Fernandez be turned down by most teams if he brought about $10 Million bucks and Gigante with him? All of the teasm needing a good sponsor and a fast driver would jump on him. Its not about race, its about money.
Never forget #99
Old 26 Aug 2003, 01:42 (Ref:698914)   #6
massifheed
Racer

massifheed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
None other than a way to get many people's email addresses no doubt.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 03:29 (Ref:698966)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Go the SPAM monster!!

I think its an interesting marketing ploy (sitting here optimistic that the cause is genuine) but wonder what point there is in achieving 1 million emails supporting the cause.

You could do what some marketing research mobs do and actually do qualitiative and quantitative research, if the sponsor is as big as suggested and can fund a US$15-$20m single race car program.

Or it could be a crock....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 20 Oct 2003, 10:25 (Ref:756770)   #8
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Boris Said the first Arabic Driver? or was it Robby Rahal?
Old 20 Oct 2003, 11:39 (Ref:756851)   #9
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
well....we got an indian in ascar....
Old 15 Nov 2003, 02:30 (Ref:783919)   #10
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hispanic as anyone of spanish decent who may or may not be mixed with the native races. Latino are the pure blooded people of the caribbean and Latin America.

Anyway Carlos Contreras is getting tons of media drive nehind just yesterday he was sponsoring some watches jst him no metion of his team of his real car, and the day before some spanish news magazine did a whole segment on him. I think he is in Busch this year but I'm not sure he runs fulltime.

Hispanics are going t end up in NASCAR but it is most likely that it will be one who comes from the US because Oval racing is not the rave in Mexico and I don't know about the rest. Just to make my point there is one decent oval track in mexico while there is al least twenty road circuits.
Old 19 Nov 2003, 02:09 (Ref:787827)   #11
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
kingfloopy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Boris Said's Arabic?

J.D.
Old 19 Nov 2003, 03:24 (Ref:787850)   #12
gttouring
Veteran

yup his name is pronouced the American way-i believe boris' family would say it Sa-eed or Sahyed...
Old 19 Nov 2003, 04:20 (Ref:787864)   #13
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
I never realized that about Boris Said. I always root for him when I catch a race he's in. I'd really like to see him win a Nextel Cup race to go with the pole he has.
Old 19 Nov 2003, 06:04 (Ref:787879)   #14
DieRitter
Racer

Switzerland
Zürich, Switzerland
DieRitter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a question... Christian Fittipaldi is Brazilian. Doesn't it make him the first hispanic Nascar driver?
Old 19 Nov 2003, 06:23 (Ref:787883)   #15
DieRitter
Racer

Switzerland
Zürich, Switzerland
In Europe, the concept we have is that Southern Europeans are Latin people. They speak Latin based languages, because they were part of the Roman Empire a long time ago... That's why Italian, Spanish, Portuguese and even French are very similar.

We never call someone from Spain, Hispanic... they are Spaniards!

Hispanic was created for the people of Latin America, because they speak Spanish.

Brazil is a little harder to define. They don't speak Spanish, were colonised by Portugal, and are mostly of African descent (half of the population).

The other half is made of Potuguese (not many Spaniards there because they had their colonies) and large German or Italian communities in the South.

Now, I'm not surprised to see so many Brazilian drivers with Italian surnames like Fittipaldi, Barrichello, Pizzonia and Bernoldi, or a tennis player called Gustavo Kuerten.

At least, that's what I got from my little research.

Can we define Christian Fittipaldi as Hispanic? He's latino, for sure!

Last edited by DieRitter; 19 Nov 2003 at 06:28.
Old 20 Nov 2003, 11:38 (Ref:789287)   #16
DieRitter
Racer

Switzerland
Zürich, Switzerland
Just talked to someone... and nope, Brazilians can't be considered Hispanic.
Old 21 Nov 2003, 00:32 (Ref:790120)   #17
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They have italian and German surnames because thats where some nazis and Fascists ran away to after WWII.
Old 21 Nov 2003, 03:44 (Ref:790188)   #18
nsxr
Racer

nsxr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hey who cares what you call yourself you are what you are. the point is NASCRAP is out to make all the money it can on the back of this poor kid. funny a white man making money off the back of a mexican. sound familiar
oh and i'm mexican so there
Old 23 Nov 2003, 17:54 (Ref:792283)   #19
ultim8z
Rookie

ultim8z should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There goes the neighborhood!
We had Felix Sabates that should be good for a while.
"We dont need no stinking NASCAR badges".
Old 25 Jan 2004, 10:50 (Ref:849905)   #20
Ross Cadell
Racer

Ross Cadell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has there even been an African American race in Nascar or CART/IRL?

If there is can anyone advise name and races etc.

cheers

Ross
Old 25 Jan 2004, 16:12 (Ref:850062)   #21
gttouring
Veteran

Yup- in NACAR Trucks last few years, we had in the Dodge factory team a gentlemen (afircan-american or black BTW) by the name of Bill Lester-pretty good too. and Carlos contreras was a mexican driving in Trucks for petty in the hotwheels truck, adn Felix Sabates team owner and partner with Chip ganassi is a Cuban-Latino fellow.
Bill Lester drives for a toyota team this year.
only because we all know NOW trucks are really the best racing of NASCAR.
Old 26 Jan 2004, 00:33 (Ref:850463)   #22
NASCARWidow
Rookie

NASCARWidow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Ross Cadell
Has there even been an African American race in Nascar or CART/IRL?

If there is can anyone advise name and races etc.

cheers

Ross
In the early days of NASCAR there was an African American by the name of Wendell Scott who raced in what is now known as Nextel Cup. He often had to get out of his car and do some of his own pit work on pit stops.
Old 26 Jan 2004, 04:47 (Ref:850585)   #23
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In 1986 Willy T. Ribbs ran 3 Winston Cup races. Michigan, N. Wilkesboro, & Riverside.
Old 2 Feb 2004, 23:05 (Ref:860778)   #24
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
Christian Fittipaldi is still under contract to drive for Petty Enterprises this season. He will run 5 to 10 races this season depending on sponsorship. He won't be in any races at Daytona speedweeks though.

J.D.
Old 3 Feb 2004, 11:02 (Ref:861234)   #25
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Willy T Ribbs ran in CART and IRL at times - he was the first African-American to race in the Indy 500. George Mack did the 2002 IRL as well.

As a related question, what about Jewish drivers in NASCAR? I know of a few from CART/IRL, including Kanaan and Haberfeld, but what about the stocks and trucks?