Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 26 Sep 2006, 22:49 (Ref:1720758)   #1
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to Verstappen's own site there is a problem regarding financial guarantees that were given to the teams. The organisers apparently don't want to (or can't) give those guarantees written on a piece of paper.

Verstappen has now reacted they are not willing to wait for money (not just his salary but also the prize money for the teams) as long as they did in 2005/6 so there is a big chance we won't see him in action on Zandvoort. He hopes for a good outcome after his threat but thinks it won't happen.

Last edited by Marcel ten Caat; 26 Sep 2006 at 22:51.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 04:45 (Ref:1720861)   #2
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Unfortunately the report on Jos Verstappen's website is only in Dutch. I have just received a verbal translation and the gist seems to be as follows:

Jos was not happy that he travelled all over the world last year and only received his salary a few months later.

Following the financial issues A1GP had last year Jos and his manager therefore wants salary guarantees, and they are threatening not to turn up until they receive them.

This issue seems to be between Jos, his manager Huub Rothengatter and the Dutch team, not A1GP in general.

The cynic in me suggests that they are keenly aware that 110,000 fans are turning up on Sunday to see Jos the Boss, and that there is a bit of hard negotiating going on. Particularly considering that Jos' very own web site is the source (hint to Huub: a leak to independant media would work much better)

Hopefully therefore no cause for alarm yet about A1 in general. Surely Jos will realise that not turning up will turn him from hero to zero, sense will prevail and the whole thing will blow over.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 10:02 (Ref:1721061)   #3
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

He's OUT! Sensational!

Have just read a report on Autosport, where the change is confirmed by team boss Jan Lammers. Reason given is a fallout between Lammers and Jos' manager Huub Rothengatter over money. Jeroen Bleekemolen will therefore be driving the Netherlands car.

Verstappen and Rothengatter seemed to make some hair-brained decisions during his F1 career, and it seems to have continued into A1.

What a hero he would have been if he had won on Sunday, but instead...nothing. Unbelieveable!
Old 27 Sep 2006, 10:15 (Ref:1721067)   #4
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most ironic is that Verstappen had an interview on monday saying people in F1 are thieves and only thinking about money. That was one of the reasons he didn't like it anymore...
Old 27 Sep 2006, 10:26 (Ref:1721072)   #5
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a real pity. I feel sorry for the Jos fans going on Sunday. Its a big loss for the series. I hope he can return.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 10:26 (Ref:1721073)   #6
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Stranger,

Would appreciate your local expertise on this...

Did most of the 110,000 who bought tickets likely do so just to see Jos? I heard there was a pedition from his fans in the first place to bring A1 to Zandvoort?

Do you think people will still be happy to watch A1 there or will many of the 110,000 not turn up?

I wonder if this will also effect A1 Team NED in terms of attracting sponsorship. Perhaps it will flow to Spyker F1 instead.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 11:15 (Ref:1721114)   #7
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Pitpass has the full story here. The ones who really suffer in all of this are the fans.

I may be wrong, but I expect it to do a lot damage to Verstappen's fan base in Holland, which is huge.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 11:37 (Ref:1721133)   #8
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Someone is not telling the entire truth. According to the Verstappen camp they were unable to get a guarantee that they would get paid.

According to A1 Team Netherlands, the A1GP organisation were willing to sign to provide a guarantee, and Bruce Holmes phoned Verstappen directly but could not change his mind.

One wonders why Holmes felt the need to call Jos directly and by-pass Rothengatter.

Perhaps we will never know the exact story, I just feel sorry for the NED fans as they might well be going from potential race winners to mid field runners at best.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 12:52 (Ref:1721197)   #9
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
I've split this discussion out as I feel it's certainly worthy of its own thread

Kiwi - I think you're exactly right, both sides will accuse the other of being unreasonable, and this story will continue for a while yet.

It's always a shame we people can't hammer together a deal that ultimately is best for all parties (is Jos going to fade back into obscurity not being able to race?), but, sadly, money talks in this day and age
Old 27 Sep 2006, 14:35 (Ref:1721261)   #10
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
For those of you who are like me and know nothing about Jeroen Bleekemolen, here is some details (sourced from www.speedsportmag.de).

He seems to have done a lot of single races all over the place and not a lot of winning. Apparently drove in the Masters F3 at Zandvoort a couple of times so he should at least know the circuit. Still, an awful way short of 10 years F1 experience!

Jeroen Bleekemölen

born (in): 23.10.1981 (Heemstede)

Nation: Netherlands

2006:American LeMans Series, GT2 (Spyker)
2005:A1 Grand Prix (Netherlands)
Porsche Supercup (2 races)
FIA GT Championship, 29. (GLPK-Chevrolet, one race), GT2-27. (Spyker, 2 races)
2004: DTM (Euroteam-Opel)
2003: DTM, 13. (Euroteam-Opel)
2002:British Formula 3 (Avanti, 2 races)
German V8Star, 27. (one race)
Dutch Touringcars (Renault)
Renault Clio Eurocup
2001:FIA GT Championship, 3. (Carsport-Chrysler)
Dutch Renault Clio Cup, Champion
Renault Clio Eurocup, 3.
2000:German Formula 3 (van Amersfoort)
1999:Formula Palmer Audi
Formula Opel Euroseries (some races)
1998:Benelux Formula Ford, Champion
Dutch Formula Ford, Champion
Dutch Renault Megane Cup (some races)
Old 27 Sep 2006, 15:27 (Ref:1721286)   #11
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
A1GP are offering refunds to disappointed fans of Jos the Boss! Link. Guess it won't be so crowded at Zandvoort now.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 16:17 (Ref:1721317)   #12
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Seems to be stupidity rules the day.

huub has caused many problems for Jos before.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 16:36 (Ref:1721325)   #13
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
Stranger,

Would appreciate your local expertise on this...

Did most of the 110,000 who bought tickets likely do so just to see Jos? I heard there was a pedition from his fans in the first place to bring A1 to Zandvoort?

Do you think people will still be happy to watch A1 there or will many of the 110,000 not turn up?

I wonder if this will also effect A1 Team NED in terms of attracting sponsorship. Perhaps it will flow to Spyker F1 instead.
I think the answer has been given already. A1GP is offering refund to Verstappen fans, silly people. Yes there were a lot of people just going there to support Verstappen, after this there will be a lot less Verstappen fans. From what I know though there 110.000 tickets sold, but around 70.000 of them are for the raceday. I hope the Dutchies will realise racing is not about Jos alone and still come to the track.

As for sponsoring of A1 Team NED...did you see any sponsors on the car last season? This season there was supposed to be 1, Remeha. So it won't have a big influence on the team, more than likely it will have on Zandvoort restaurants/hotels and on the status of A1GP.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 17:08 (Ref:1721344)   #14
Kebab
Racer

Kebab has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Greed is a terrible thing - so what if he got paid late, everyone else did too (I assume!)
Old 27 Sep 2006, 17:14 (Ref:1721349)   #15
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
A quite shocking bit of negotiating or lack of it.

Argaubly the series star driver not competing because of some bloddy mindedness and short sighted management... allegedly!

Bleekemolen isn't the best sub they could've found either is he??!!
Old 27 Sep 2006, 17:27 (Ref:1721357)   #16
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
A quite shocking bit of negotiating or lack of it.

Argaubly the series star driver not competing because of some bloddy mindedness and short sighted management... allegedly!

Bleekemolen isn't the best sub they could've found either is he??!!
Well who else?

Albers is in China. Zwolsman & Pastorelli probably aren't better.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 17:30 (Ref:1721361)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Where is steve nielsen when you need him?
Old 27 Sep 2006, 17:31 (Ref:1721363)   #18
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
Well who else?

Albers is in China. Zwolsman & Pastorelli probably aren't better.
Well Van Lagen would've done for a start?
Old 27 Sep 2006, 17:36 (Ref:1721368)   #19
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
- Bleekemolen was Team NED 2nd driver last year;
- Bleekemolen knows Zandvoort by heart;
- Bleekemolen's ex DTM-engineer works for Team NED;
- Bleekemolen doesn't run for the big bucks.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 17:42 (Ref:1721370)   #20
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger
- Bleekemolen was Team NED 2nd driver last year;
- Bleekemolen knows Zandvoort by heart;
- Bleekemolen's ex DTM-engineer works for Team NED;
- Bleekemolen doesn't run for the big bucks.
Thanks Stranger,

As you rightly point out, these are highly valied reasons for using him!!
Old 27 Sep 2006, 17:53 (Ref:1721378)   #21
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Well Van Lagen would've done for a start?
Nope, Jaap is in Le Mans doing the Renault Megane Trophy. Missing that would mean missing out on the title.
Old 28 Sep 2006, 03:25 (Ref:1721687)   #22
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
To think I was going to go to Zandvoort and Brno and opted not to because I thought Zandvoort would be packed

Hopefully most of the fans will not take up A1GP's offer and will still turn up for what should be a great weekend of competitive racing.

And as our Dutch correspondant Stranger points out Bleekemolen should still be pretty useful around Zandvoort.
Old 28 Sep 2006, 12:23 (Ref:1722000)   #23
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't know who verstappen & his people think he is, but if it wasn't for the A1GP he would not have raced anything last year, won a race in 10-years, or made a million dollars. Now he can sit on his a$$ doing nothing and hope the 2006 salary lasts a ong time. But, I don't think anybody else is going to knock on his door. I'm glad Lammers & the Dutch A1GP did not give in to Rothengather's wants. F him, Verstappen isn't Michael Schumacher and didn't exactly win the Championship last year, eventhough he was the most experienced driver in the field. Here's hoping that Bleekomolen wins the race and all the fans forget about the overrated primadona!

Here's a note to Huub Rothengather: I don't know what your deal is with Jos Verstappen, but I can tell you that if it's like the majority of the management deals, 15% or Zero does not equal to much!
Old 28 Sep 2006, 18:07 (Ref:1722296)   #24
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Jos and Huub, Please go far away, never ever come back or near a track.
The two of you should be ashamed!!
Old 29 Sep 2006, 07:48 (Ref:1722699)   #25
Bridget Stone
Racer

Bridget Stone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Its really sickening to see that Jos again puts money over the fans and the pride and joy for his profession. Its seems like his F-1 time all over again; problems with Tom Walkinshaw, problems with Eddie Jordan, and all about money. Reading the dutch forums it now seems that Jos really has lost the support of even the most die-hard fans.
For myself i hope that we now really have seen the last of him and his manager Huub Rothengatter. And I'm looking forward to a great new A1-GP season !