Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 3 Dec 2012, 22:07 (Ref:3174759)   #2501
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Between Shanghai and Bahrain... That's where India is, after all!
Old 3 Dec 2012, 22:08 (Ref:3174761)   #2502
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps it is to replace a venue? Bahrain?
Old 4 Dec 2012, 09:48 (Ref:3174924)   #2503
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
No, it'd be in addition. The BIC is actually a nice layout. I rather like it.
Old 4 Dec 2012, 12:44 (Ref:3174981)   #2504
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
Ahhh, if Budh is what gets us a Jag LMP1 program I will live with it!
Makes no sense. What has Jaguar to do with India? Unless you're suggesting that R. Tata is so immature that to fund Jaguar racing programme he requires staging a race in his backyard as a gesture of good will or something. IMO, Jag would be more likely to join a series that visits the markets Jag care about, I'd guess USA, Middle East and probably China.
Old 4 Dec 2012, 13:00 (Ref:3174987)   #2505
ep16
Rookie

ep16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.fiawec.com/en/news/larbre...urels_839.html

Larbre Viper's anyone? haha, i wish!
Old 4 Dec 2012, 13:28 (Ref:3175001)   #2506
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I really enjoy the WEC but here we go again with another series racing on Tilke tracks with no heritage where no one cares about racing. First Bahrain now this... ugh.
I'm slightly sceptical about the heritage argument. Every track, even La Sarthe, had to start somewhere. If we say that the WEC can only race somewhere with heritage, we paint ourselves into a corner and exclude emerging markets. If the track is good, and if you can get the numbers through the gates, that's enough.
Old 4 Dec 2012, 14:13 (Ref:3175020)   #2507
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
I'm slightly sceptical about the heritage argument. Every track, even La Sarthe, had to start somewhere. If we say that the WEC can only race somewhere with heritage, we paint ourselves into a corner and exclude emerging markets. If the track is good, and if you can get the numbers through the gates, that's enough.
That's all great except no one will show up and it will be difficult to see the race through the smog.
Old 4 Dec 2012, 15:34 (Ref:3175040)   #2508
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
The point is that you're going to places that don't have a heritage of motorsport at all, or at the very least, not on a more major level. F1 started as a collection of the leading events for open-wheel cars for that time period, including the Indianapolis 500.

Buddh is alright, though it has failed to produce good racing for F1, despite those wide entries at Turns 3, 4, and 16 (I also just find them ugly as sin). The trouble I see is, from Turn 5 around to Turn 15, pulling off a pass within your own class will be extremely difficult, and even passing lower-class traffic may be rather challenging as well. A number of the turns in that section strike me as being of the type that may only be very quick for F1 cars. In addition, the LMPs don't have the power/torque they had to get off the corners, which are also too quick to get ultimate advantage out of having low-end torque. On top of this, the straights around the middle of the lap are short, meaning the braking zones in the middle of the lap are not terribly severe either. This will make it hard for an LMP to get up a head of steam, and be able to really decisively outbrake the GTs into the next corner.
Old 4 Dec 2012, 16:27 (Ref:3175058)   #2509
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
I really don't understand why everybody is this critical about the Bahrain round. I thought it made for some very pretty TV pictures and the race was entertaining as well.
Old 4 Dec 2012, 17:03 (Ref:3175065)   #2510
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
I have trouble telling Sakhir's corners apart in daylight. At night the pretty pictures were just that, headlights moving about on the dark screen. Quite difficult to understand what's going on.
Old 4 Dec 2012, 17:26 (Ref:3175071)   #2511
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Unfortunately very few people go to the race, the locals certainly don't as they aren't interested.

La Sarthe did have to start somewhere but there was already a healthy motor sports following, there isn't one in Bahrain.
Old 4 Dec 2012, 18:25 (Ref:3175079)   #2512
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Unfortunately very few people go to the race, the locals certainly don't as they aren't interested.

La Sarthe did have to start somewhere but there was already a healthy motor sports following, there isn't one in Bahrain.
They aren't interested or they can't afford a ticket?
Old 4 Dec 2012, 18:31 (Ref:3175080)   #2513
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Posted in another thread, this is probably the better place for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
HVM Racing's 2013 WEC campaign will be done in collaboration with Status Grand Prix. http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...cus-14706.html
Old 4 Dec 2012, 18:40 (Ref:3175084)   #2514
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
and aren't allowed near the circuit anyway. I'm fine with the race in the desert, and it's a better track than Dubai, Qatar or Abu Dhabi, but the WEC going there in the face of the repression and unrest there this year was ridiculous; should never have happened.
Old 4 Dec 2012, 18:44 (Ref:3175086)   #2515
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
I would think both.
Old 4 Dec 2012, 19:55 (Ref:3175106)   #2516
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
And I'll have to disagree, Rodger. I find Dubai to be the best of the Middle Eastern tracks, followed by Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, and then Qatar.

Dubai isn't as featureless as Bahrain or Qatar, and has a more apparent variety of corners and corner combinations. It has some more noticeable elevation changes, and has some cambered corners (a rarity on "modern" circuits). There were definitely some interesting passes made at Dubai when A1GP visited. (Dubai Autodrome was laid out by Apex Circuit Design, not Tilke.)

And no, I don't have an inherent dislike for desert circuits. I think Riverside and Stardust were both quite good. I also like Willow Springs.
Old 4 Dec 2012, 22:33 (Ref:3175161)   #2517
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aside from circuit layouts I think WEC would benefit from not running at F1 tracks, especially when motorsport interest is low to begin with. I think spectator numbers would be better if the WEC round was THE event of the year on the circuits they visit.

Exceptions could be made if the circuit it self is something especially good, like Spa or Suzuka, or if the country has a huge interest in motorsports, like Brazil (how was the spectator numbers there anyway?). I'd rather see them run in Dubai if they have to visit the middle east or Zhuhai if they have to race in China.
Old 4 Dec 2012, 23:06 (Ref:3175173)   #2518
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
Aside from circuit layouts I think WEC would benefit from not running at F1 tracks, especially when motorsport interest is low to begin with. I think spectator numbers would be better if the WEC round was THE event of the year on the circuits they visit.

Exceptions could be made if the circuit it self is something especially good, like Spa or Suzuka, or if the country has a huge interest in motorsports, like Brazil (how was the spectator numbers there anyway?). I'd rather see them run in Dubai if they have to visit the middle east or Zhuhai if they have to race in China.
I agree. It would be nice if the European and U.S. rounds were different from F1, too, to help visit some tracks that F1 can't, and to come to fans F1 doesn't reach.

I am all for races in new markets; I think it's very important. But those, too, should be at unique tracks, if possible. That would better help spread auto racing in new markets.
Old 5 Dec 2012, 01:42 (Ref:3175208)   #2519
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
Makes no sense. What has Jaguar to do with India? Unless you're suggesting that R. Tata is so immature that to fund Jaguar racing programme he requires staging a race in his backyard as a gesture of good will or something. IMO, Jag would be more likely to join a series that visits the markets Jag care about, I'd guess USA, Middle East and probably China.
Vijay Mallya anyone? The guy has an ego bigger than India.
Old 5 Dec 2012, 01:48 (Ref:3175210)   #2520
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Le Mans HAS a heritage now though, so while I agree emerging markets are important, care must be taken not to forget where the sport came from. Some classic tracks need to be included in the WEC as well or the series will have no soul. CoTA is a beautiful circuit, but the home of the US round of the WEC should be Sebring for example.
Old 5 Dec 2012, 12:08 (Ref:3175336)   #2521
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
IMO, the other problem about emerging markets, is that marketing there through racing is probably FAR less efficient than in places with racing heritage. So while European and US fans are missing out, the Chinese Panamera buying public wouldn't care less if 991 RSR has a new-gen DI engine or not.
So moving calendars towards 'emerging markets' makes a lot less sense than in F1 where FOM get their 20-40 mil per race regardless of local interest.

Perhaps a second WEC round in the USA would make a lot more sense than adding one in India?

Quote:
Vijay Mallya anyone? The guy has an ego bigger than India.
Mallya doesn't own Jaguar, fortunately enough!

Last edited by Pandamasque; 5 Dec 2012 at 12:16.
Old 5 Dec 2012, 12:21 (Ref:3175337)   #2522
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post

Perhaps a second WEC round in the USA would make a lot more sense than adding one in India?
Like one at Road America?
Old 5 Dec 2012, 12:32 (Ref:3175340)   #2523
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
As much as I'd like that, it wouldn't be the first choice of the bean counters.
Old 5 Dec 2012, 14:53 (Ref:3175375)   #2524
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
FIA WMSC press release concerning the WEC in 2013-2014:

Quote:
In 2014 new LMP1 technical regulations will come into force. Strict equivalence between diesel and petrol engines will be applied and monitored. Petrol and diesel fuels with more bio-content have been decided.

From 2013, a limitation on the number of permitted engines for the LMP2 category and tyres for LMP2 and GTE Am will be imposed in order to help reduce costs.

The format of qualifying has been amended to make it more attractive for spectators and media. From 2013, two drivers must establish two lap times each and the average of the four lap times will be the reference time for establishing the starting grid. Warm-up has been cancelled, except specifically where required by some events.

Other changes to sporting or technical regulations concern clarifications, or address cost or safety issues.

The date for the Brazilian event in Sao Paulo has been changed to 1 September 2013.
http://www.fia.com/news/world-motor-sport-council-2012

Quali rule seems a tad too over-complicated to me, further cost reductions for LMP2 and GTE-Am are a good idea though, makes it more cost-effective for the gentleman drivers.
Old 5 Dec 2012, 15:01 (Ref:3175378)   #2525
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Qualy rule seems daft. It's all well and good making sure all the drivers have time in the car before the race, and perhaps saying they must be within a certain percentage of the others if you want to make sure they are good enough. But that system will be almost impossible for fans to follow, especially trackside.