Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 7 Jul 2016, 22:11 (Ref:3657563)   #501
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.facebook.com/tannerfoust...type=3&theater

Just what is Foust and Volkswagen up too?
Old 7 Jul 2016, 22:45 (Ref:3657570)   #502
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Probably an offical VW works team.

Rather than the country dealer based jobs they use now.
Old 3 Aug 2016, 07:37 (Ref:3663182)   #503
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
After disappearing at the end of last year, there has finally been an announcement from the Galli camp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi Galli #25 Official Facebook
Nei mesi scorsi abbiamo avuto qualche "management issues" (alias, cambio partner tecnico) che ha causato un ritardo nel programma che avevamo previsto per il 2016 e con esso è sfumata la possibilitÃ* di partecipare al campionato del mondo RX 2016.
Ma in questo tempo abbiamo lavorato, moltissimo, e adesso è arrivato il momento di iniziare i test, quelli veri!
...la scorsa settimana siamo andati in pista a Maggiora per provare la macchina!
Ecco un assaggio del primo test su terra.
Spero vi piaccia

In the past few months we have had some "management issues" (aka, technical partner exchange) which caused a delay in the program that we had planned for 2016 and with it is blurred the opportunity to participate in the championship of the world RX 2016.
But in this time we have worked very, very much, and now it's time to start testing, the real ones!
... last week we went on the track to maggiora to prove the car!
Here's a taste of the first test on earth.
I hope you enjoy it
Full post with the video can be seen here:

https://www.facebook.com/Gigi-Galli-...07470/?fref=nf

I wonder when we will see the car hit the track in anger?
Old 10 Aug 2016, 09:22 (Ref:3664851)   #504
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Forgive the double post, but Guerlain Chicherit confirmed in the JRM MINI for France, Spain and Germany:

http://www.fiaworldrallycross.com/ar...ins-jrm-racing
Old 7 Sep 2016, 21:43 (Ref:3670830)   #505
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Not strictly rallycross news but it seems that the gymkhana debut of the Focus RS RX that was teased at the end of Gymkhana 8 is now imminent:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Block Facebook
BIG news coming tomorrow - and no, it has nothing to do with the iPhone 7. Ha. Any other guesses? Hint: that’s the first time my Ford Focus RSRX has been equipped with Fifteen52 Turbomacs. And it looks DOPE!

Old 22 Sep 2016, 14:18 (Ref:3674261)   #506
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Ekstrom will miss the last round of the DTM championship to compete in Estering - makes sense as he's nowhere in DTM this year and has a good shot at the rallycross title.
Old 28 Sep 2016, 09:23 (Ref:3675663)   #507
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
https://www.facebook.com/tannerfoust...type=3&theater

Just what is Foust and Volkswagen up too?
My interpretation of that is he drove the 2017 WRC car, as why would a rallycross car have a passenger seat?
Old 28 Sep 2016, 10:07 (Ref:3675671)   #508
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlbtcc View Post
My interpretation of that is he drove the 2017 WRC car, as why would a rallycross car have a passenger seat?
Well he wrote "testing the FIA World Rallycross Championship Volkswagen PoloR" and a passenger seat does not necessarily mean it is not a rallycross car. Many rallycross cars have brackets for a second seat also, for example when press driving.

Since he is also a rallycross driver it would make more sense if he tested a rallycross car, they already have Grönholm and the regular drivers testing out the 2017 WRC car. They have been quite open about testing the 2017 car too.
Old 28 Sep 2016, 12:08 (Ref:3675687)   #509
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
Well he wrote "testing the FIA World Rallycross Championship Volkswagen PoloR" and a passenger seat does not necessarily mean it is not a rallycross car. Many rallycross cars have brackets for a second seat also, for example when press driving.
True that, but the dummy to add weight to the passenger side, intriguing. He also references WRC in the post, all a bit confusing.
Old 4 Oct 2016, 10:48 (Ref:3677183)   #510
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is the world rallycross going to Silverstone next year?
Old 5 Oct 2016, 10:44 (Ref:3677456)   #511
Janneman
Rookie

Netherlands
Janneman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I think cross that when someone starts coming in and spending huge money on marketing, PR and trying to reach a global audience the budgets will substantially increase as a matter of course. It sort of cascades down. They buy aanother semi, we buy another semi, they buy a massive setup jig, we buy one too. etc.

The teams now are almost works level, certainly with Peugeot. VW, Ford and Audi are largely dealer teams as they would have been in somehting like a national rally team, but they are still receiving big money from importers and manufacturers.

I think the days of the Isachsen, Schanche, Pailler (Peugeot), Stecka Jernberg are gone. The guys with a bit of money to develop a car themselves are gone. The only one really is Robin Larsson who is not exactly short of money but they do a brilliant job.

My hope as I say is that WRX goes truly global, for works teams only, like a travelling circus. IMG do not want anyone else, they only want their money registering for the series and for bolstering the grids at ERX rounds, they have knocked back their tv coverage and media exposure to such a degree that it is almost useless using tv as a marketing campaign for your team as you get nothing more than a few youtube clips. But they can't race anywhere else.

If they really cared they would put ERX with all Europe rounds, but sadly fans are turning up whatever, as they usualy do when they are being fleeced but don't realise it.

It is called being swept up in hype. It's what millions of dollars of marketing can achieve, which is why people in that industry are paid a lot of money, they can make a grain of sand sound exciting.

And luckily for them, there is very little car based international motor racing at the moment that is doing anything but stagnating.

Bikes however are starting to rapidly encroach into car sport fans lives, and that is where I have been spending far more time in recent years. More accessible, more skillful, more human and you can still get a thrill at club level aswell as the top level.
I was one of the guys who believed in an Euro championship besides WRX for the more gentleman drivers and teams with a more normal budget. But after seeing the disaster of the RCE-cup last year and especially this year that believe faded away. No interest from drivers. No interest from (circuit)organisers. And as a result no interest from spectators.

I still can not get the idea why an only 5 races long ERX is preferred over a decent European Championship (I don't mean RCE) with for example 10 races. Is it only the ERX final on youtube that make their decision?
Old 5 Oct 2016, 11:17 (Ref:3677467)   #512
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They have all been swept up in the hype.

You can't blame them, there are not enough drivers and teams to really compete in a proper ERC like it used to be. Well not true, there are, but to get them all agreeing would be hard.

I personally think it's possible but it would need some considerable budget and effort to convince people to not do ERX.

It is fewer rounds for lower budgets, less travelling, better exposure (although in reality you get nothing on tv, all social media) and the chance to be in the same paddock as the supposed elite.

But in reality you are the poor relation, paying a lot for that privilege. But they all do it for some stupid reason.

But if no-one offers an alternative, and teams like Munnich etc are happy to hand over thousands to IMG what can you do, other than start a series, offer them better deals on ferries, hotels, prize money.

For me I would look initially at a one off event, a rallycross spectacular at somewhere like Valkenswaard or Estering, or even Sosnova. Huge prize fund, get the big teams there, and also the smaller ones, they are all out there, they just can't afford to compete in WRX, the door has been completely closed to them.
Old 13 Oct 2016, 17:34 (Ref:3679800)   #513
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Albatec Racing general manager Atte Varsta said that FIA World RX the price is rising to a level that is too hard. This means that drivers leave series. He criticises in particular the promoter IMG-company.
Old 13 Oct 2016, 21:10 (Ref:3679838)   #514
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurski View Post
Albatec Racing general manager Atte Varsta said that FIA World RX the price is rising to a level that is too hard. This means that drivers leave series. He criticises in particular the promoter IMG-company.
Couldn't be more but right. Regular, good tracks too are soon going. Höljes for example has to pay for expenses and IMG takes the revenue. They are basically sucking out money from tracks, drivers and teams.
Old 13 Oct 2016, 21:49 (Ref:3679847)   #515
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I told you all, but some of you thinks its awesome, amazing great!

I do hope the future is OK, they are running before they can walk these IMG arses.

I hope they disappear very soon and leave rallycross to those that know how to grow it carefully and with an eye on the future, not on the immediate profit.
Old 13 Oct 2016, 21:55 (Ref:3679848)   #516
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So thanks to the Hansens we are struck with the Joker Lap forever and now IMG? There were others of course like Pauwels who favoured the Mettet circuit and is now self a non runner. The Doran's where involved. So what's the status of those early yea people?
Old 14 Oct 2016, 06:56 (Ref:3679921)   #517
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Precisely, Scott and Albatec were heavily involved in the early years and sadly have realised how expensive and difficult it is to compete, remember Scott employed Villeneuve! A no doubt expensive thing to do! Did a lot of publicity and has been dumped into the ERX series either through choice or some other reason.

Doran is disgraced so no loss there, Pauwels has never been top drawer but perhaps threw money in early on and maybe has links to Mettet?
Old 14 Oct 2016, 07:46 (Ref:3679928)   #518
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
These promoters never learn? In fact, they're not really promoters - they sell TV rights, and charge 'hosting fees'.......and make everything expensive, but do very little in the way of promotion.

Having a FiA World Championship for RX is/ was a step too far; it's basically a North European sport.
Old 14 Oct 2016, 10:26 (Ref:3679950)   #519
Janneman
Rookie

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurski View Post
This is very good news if we ever want a decent European Champinship back. Let IMG run there WRX as part of a big event and give us back real rallycross.
Old 14 Oct 2016, 10:59 (Ref:3679958)   #520
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
I would be really happy if ALL European rounds of the WRX would have an ERX included. That would sort most of our needs I guess...
Old 14 Oct 2016, 11:00 (Ref:3679960)   #521
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
That said: I still think there should be more rounds to call it a proper World Championship! F1 is on much more
Old 14 Oct 2016, 11:05 (Ref:3679962)   #522
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I doubt that will ever happen sadly. IMG know they have to have the ERX boys at certain events to get the crowds and say we have over 50 cars, if you look, they seem to have them at the bigger events like France, Sweden and Belgium. They obviously don't travel to the "world lol" events either.

They are at the moment tapping into the furore of WRX becoming a big thing and everyone wanting to be involved but they have to be extremely careful, if you start losing the support of the smaller teams (who helped you out when you were nothing), you might get a small grid of teams with big budgets and be able to sell that (which is all IMG want lets face it) but the rest of rallycross becomes a nothing sport. My issue all along.

As a few are realising, it just takes someone like a Scott, Doran, Eklund, Jernberg to get punchy with some money, get a few folk on board and you could easily have an ERC again.

Bit unfair to label IMG as doing no promotion, I am their biggest critic on here, but they have embraced social media very well, pushed the sport on to half decent tv, improved the image, bought in sponsors.

They just packaged it, stuck in on a tv screen and a lunchbox and started selling it for top dollar before it was even properly established. They have been lucky, if they tried this in the late 90's they would have bombed as WRC was massive then. But half of good business is luck!
Old 14 Oct 2016, 11:42 (Ref:3679969)   #523
Janneman
Rookie

Netherlands
Offcourse IMG need a lot of credit. Rallycross had to make a step forward and they made it possible.

But that said I still find it not real rallycross anymore. Jokerlap is stupid on a lot of tracks. A lot of tracks are crap. A spotter is a joke.

How long will the decent rallycross tracks stay with IMG? Lydden, Buxtehude will go soon. So that leaves a lot of good tracks and a lot of people who don't belong to the IMG circus anymore. Just the need for a couple of guys to organize the ERC
Old 14 Oct 2016, 13:09 (Ref:3679979)   #524
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Spotters are a stupid waste of time, I almost think they know that and its an excuse to name a sponsor every 5 minutes, this isnt NASCAR for Gods sake,

They do have merit and it pushes the very flimsy team angle IMG are so obssessed with.

The tracks cant afford to his WRX, it will be run at tracks like GRC is, where local areas share the outlay.

That has merit and bad sides.

But only has bad sides if rallycross is left to rot and no-one takes up the ERC mantle.