Old 12 Aug 2003, 03:18 (Ref:685776)   #1
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Carl Haas may retire at end of year

Fellows,

Due to health concerns (he has had some "scares and calls", particularly high blood pressure, in the last years) - and also feeling that "he has done his share for the sport" - it is possible that Carl Haas will retire from motorsport at the end of the year.

Haas has always stated that "once I decide to go, I would be out that same day" - but then, on the other hand, I heard from two insiders (one of them Toninho da Matta, Cristiano's father) that Haas had several conversations with Paul Newman last year regarding his (Haas') retiremeent.

One should also pay a closer look on how the Newman-Haas has restructured himself twice in recent years. It was not a mere change of names and titles: instead, the team created an organization that foster the development of people that can be at (its) very top in years to come. I also remember an interview with Paul Newman when he - on a somewhat veiled manner - expressed concepts and ideas very close to this sort of "training filiere".

Now, in parallel, on a rather conjectural mode...

Ten Tenths' member The Snout opened a thread about Paul Newman's statement that "Wednesday is the day". Linking both things, it is possible that...

1.) Paul Newman, a very savvy businessman with excellent contacts inside and outside of the sport, becames the catalyzer of a CART buy-out;

2.) Newman, a man universally recognized for his business ethics, would step down of Newman-Haas due to conflict of interest reasons;

3.) Haas, for the motives above exposed, annouces his retirement;

4.) Newman-Haas reshapes itself as a complete new organization, with the managers that now are waiting on the winds of Paul and Carl.

Very hypothetical, but - at least to me - it makes some sense.

Cheers,

Muzza

(P.S.: I might have posted this under the "Paul Newman saying Wednesday's the day", but as a matter of respect for Haas - a man I had to learn to like, and who I came to appreciate with the passing of time - I opted to create another thread on its own)

Last edited by Muzza; 12 Aug 2003 at 03:18.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 03:34 (Ref:685780)   #2
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
interesting scenario Muzza... I can really see Carl Haas retiring pretty soon..he's definately not getting any younger, and I'm wondering what exactly his role in running the team is now, other than owner.

I'm not so sure Paul Newmann would leave the team simply because he becomes a part owner in Cart... will the others leave their teams too? I can't see that happening... they are financing hte operations after all, even if they do have sponsors.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 12 Aug 2003, 12:56 (Ref:686172)   #3
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree with Jay,
seems strange that both bosses quit the outfit; despite managers skills, I guess it would be too hard for them to get over such a move
Old 12 Aug 2003, 12:57 (Ref:686174)   #4
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re: Carl Haas may retire at end of year

Quote:
Originally posted by Muzza
Due to health concerns (he has had some "scares and calls", particularly high blood pressure, in the last years) - and also feeling that "he has done his share for the sport" - it is possible that Carl Haas will retire from motorsport at the end of the year.
I guess Bruno will have to get a new tire changer!

Seriously, he's done an awful lot of good racing, and kept Lola's presence up in North America for a long, long time. I hope he finds a more relaxing way of enjoying the sport.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 12 Aug 2003, 13:13 (Ref:686184)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It would be a shame to see Carl go, he's been one of the leading owners over the eyars, and his help for Lola is legendary, and Swift as well in the mi-late 90s. He's showed great determiationa nd courage in staying around, in CART,d espite his poor health,a nd remaining as a truly competitve team.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 14:32 (Ref:686255)   #6
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
It would be a shame to see Carl go (...)
Yes it would. As I wrote, he is a man that I had to "learn to like" - but the more I got to know him, the more I appreciate all he has done for motorsports in the United States.

I for one hope to be completely wrong in my own conjectures! (well, at least this time)

Cheers,

Muzza